ESPN: 2005 Texas Longhorns best team of last 20 years

Jive Turkey

Sorry if this is buried in some other meta-thread.  This deserves its own topic, and I haven't seen it posted yet.

"To celebrate 20 years of championship games, ESPN Analytics calculated overall, offensive and defensive ratings to find the true strength of a champion through a comparison of top college football programs across seasons."

1. 2005 Texas Longhorns

The 2005 Longhorns are the top championship team of the past 20 years in large part because they claim the best player of the past 20 years. Quarterback Vince Young, remarkably, didn't win the Heisman Trophy that season, but he produced one of the greatest individual seasons in recent college football history, culminating with one of the greatest individual game performances the sport has ever seen. In the 2006 Rose Bowl against heavily favored USC, Young completed 30 of 40 passes, rushed for 200 yards and delivered the game-winning play, an 8-yard touchdown dash on fourth down with 19 seconds remaining. That play defined the BCS era. And turned Young into a legend. Young wasn't the only star for Texas, which also boasted a top-10 defense. Michael Huff was the Jim Thorpe Award winner and, like Young, became a top-10 NFL draft pick. Linemen Jonathan Scott and Rodrique Wright were consensus All-Americans, as well. The '05 Longhorns never lost. And saved their best for the biggest stage. -- Jake Trotter

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24198508/college-football-national-champions-20-years-ranked

• Like 2

Never made it past 1. Vince is the greatest college football player to play the game. The oline was tough. A great backfield w experienced Selvin explosive Taylor and another young great Charles. The defense was stout. The secondary was well second to none. It’s no contest. Hook ‘em.

Edited by Dropout

2 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

At home to a 6-6 Ole Miss team I believe.

Which produced one of the most uninspiring inspirational speeches ever, which Tebow read in a monotone from a script at the post-game press conference.  Yet the media treated it like the Gettysburg Address.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, North Austin said:

'08 Gators lost that year.  Way too high on that list.

Florida did win the BCS MNC that season (Go Gata 24 - ousux 14), but I agree that team is too high.  The 2001 'Canes beat them by 10.

I'd put 2016 Clemson ahead of 2017 Bama as well.  Watson > Tua/Hurts and 2016  Bama defense was better than 2017.

I find it very satisfying as a Longhorn that over decade after its fellatio of USC ESPN recognizes that Texas is the greatest team of the past two decades.  I don't think a team has ever gone into a title game getting its dick sucked like USC did before the 2006 Rose Bowl.

Edited by South Austin
Work work work work work work work. Hello boys, have a good nights rest? I missed you.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Florida did win the BCS MNC that season (Go Gata 24 - ousux 14), but I agree that team is too high.  The 2001 'Canes beat them by 10.

I'd put 2016 Clemson ahead of 2017 Bama as well.  Watson > Tua/Hurts and 2016  Bama defense was better than 2017.

08 Texas > 08 Florida

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Which produced one of the most uninspiring inspirational speeches ever, which Tebow read in a monotone from a script at the post-game press conference.  Yet the media treated it like the Gettysburg Address.

Mark Wahlberg is already rehearsing for the movie role. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

The slobbering over Tebow has to be the most vomit inducing things ever I can remember in sports. Verne/Gary would probably suck his dick at midfield on live tv if Tebow requested it. Then in that 2008 national championship game, one of the announcers said everyone would be a better person in life having just met Tebow for 5 minutes.

Fuck Tebow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, North Austin said:

'08 Gators lost that year.  Way too high on that list.

I would move them down a few spots but not many.

I rewatched that game not long ago because it came up in a conversation with a Sooner buddy of mine. I remember that game being a dominant Florida win but watching it again made me reconsider. Oklahoma played better football, but Florida made some really incredible plays when they had to and got lucky more than a few times. That was a really good Oklahoma team, though. I have to think that we beat Florida if we play in that game.

27 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The slobbering over Tebow has to be the most vomit inducing things ever I can remember in sports. Verne/Gary would probably suck his dick at midfield on live tv if Tebow requested it. Then in that 2008 national championship game, one of the announcers said everyone would be a better person in life having just met Tebow for 5 minutes.

Fuck Tebow.

So is it Tebow you're mad at? Or Vic Mackey?

27 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Fuck Tebow.

It really was insane. I've maintained that Tebow is the most overrated athlete of my lifetime. That doesn't mean he wasn't a really good college player; it means that he wasn't nearly as good as he was made out to be. The really baffling thing is that there is nothing interesting about him. He's Christian (like most football players) and has spent some time doing charity/mission work (like a lot of players). That's it. I'll never understand the Tebow fascination. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I would move them down a few spots but not many.

I rewatched that game not long ago because it came up in a conversation with a Sooner buddy of mine. I remember that game being a dominant Florida win but watching it again made me reconsider. Oklahoma played better football, but Florida made some really incredible plays when they had to and got lucky more than a few times. That was a really good Oklahoma team, though. I have to think that we beat Florida if we play in that game.

OU was missing some guy named DeMarco Murray. 

And what kind of dbag has 'Sooner Buddies'?  GTFO

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I find it very satisfying as a Longhorn that over decade after its fellatio of USC ESPN recognizes that Texas is the greatest team of the past two decades.  I don't think a team has ever gone into a title game getting its dick sucked like USC did before the 2006 Rose Bowl.

That Miami team that lost to Ohio State was on the receiving end of some serious verbal fellatio. I'm not disagreeing with you. But that's the one I would say is close to the USC level of sucking from the media.

I do take exception to them saying: and Tim Tebow ranks among the greatest quarterbacks in college football history.

I don't hate Tim Tebow. And I enjoyed watching him play. But to say he is one of the greatest QBs to ever play is just wrong. He is one of the most successful, yes, no doubt. But not one of the greatest.

2007 LSU over 2002 Ohio State. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Obviously I take no issue with 2005 Texas being at the top, but that list completely falls apart after that. And I have to jump back on the first thing I said: I cannot take seriously anyone who says that a 2-loss team, who only got into the BCS MNC game because Kansas had a stupid loss to Missouri at the end of the season and cost themselves a berth in the Big 12 CCG, was better than perhaps the greatest defense of the BCS era. Hell, it's arguable that LSU wasn't even the best team in the SEC that year.

Edited by hpslugga

08 Texas>>but that 08 Gators team may have had the deepest collection of NFL talent

Dunlap, Spikes, Jenkins, Haden, Hill

Pouncey twins, Hernandez, Harsin, Cooper, Teebs, Cam Newton

What a collection of assholes

Edited by cmontexas

I love #1 but the choice for #2 delegitimizes the entire list in my eyes.  Tebow would get throttled by the elite USC teams of the mid 2000s and as others have already pointed out got beaten by a mediocre Ole Miss team.  In a very aggy way, this loss was spun with "the promise"  which is so stupid that it actually got its own plaque.

509x286

There is no credible college football fan that would put that Gators squad anywhere near the Top 10.  I'm sure that season felt magical for Gators fans, and perhaps our own bias about the '05-06 Longhorns is a factor, but those Gators were never world beaters.  The 2006 Rose Bowl felt magical because the expectations were very high and we exceeded them.  The Tebow Gators felt magical because a derpy former backup QB exceeded low expectations and lucked out when the bullshit committee allowed OU to leapfrog the Longhorns thanks to Blake Butterfingers Gideon.

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

So is it Tebow you're mad at? Or Vic Mackey?

Mainly the media but Tebow was the biggest attention whore. He purposely went out and kneeled on the field before the game for the cameras. He put bible verses on his face for the cameras. He knew what he was doing. He wanted all the attention and knew how to play the media to get it. So yes, fuck the media and fuck him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It really was insane. I've maintained that Tebow is the most overrated athlete of my lifetime. That doesn't mean he wasn't a really good college player; it means that he wasn't nearly as good as he was made out to be. The really baffling thing is that there is nothing interesting about him. He's Christian (like most football players) and has spent some time doing charity/mission work (like a lot of players). That's it. I'll never understand the Tebow fascination. 

But did you see all those 1 yard jump passes he threw for TDs! Lmao. The team does all the work to get down there and he tosses a 1 yard TD. He was surrounded by a plethora of talent on offense and on Florida in general. He doesn't even come close to the influence Vince had. You could have put any generic QB on that Florida team and they win. Like Ken Dorsey with Miami. The talent was that deep,

And exactly. They actually portrayed him as some saint because he believed in god and did charity work. Wow, you described most athletes out there. How cool. Seeing him flame out quick in the NFL was hilarious. Even after that playoff win, which he had nothing to do with, Denver still said fuck Tebow and went out and got Manning.