ESPN: 2005 Texas Longhorns best team of last 20 years

Jive Turkey

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Mainly the media but Tebow was the biggest attention whore. He purposely went out and kneeled on the field before the game for the cameras. He put bible verses on his face for the cameras. He knew what he was doing. He wanted all the attention and knew how to play the media to get it. So yes, fuck the media and fuck him. 

Just yanking your chain. 

I liked watching Tebow play. He had no tangible QB talents but he played the position by sheer force of will, and he owes much of his success to the speedsters around him and Meyer's offense. 

But I got sick of the fawning coverage. Media types really know how to sour you on an athlete.

2 hours ago, FWD said:

Miami 01 should be #2. That Florida team was loaded with NFL talent, though. FSU '13 also loaded with NFL talent, but they didn't play any quality opponents until the MNC game.

I don't think loaded with NFL talent should mean much. That team lost to a subpar Ole Miss team. At home I think. They weren't even better than 08 Texas. If we got our justified shot, we would have proved that. 

• Like 2

I have no problem with the 2005 Texas football team being on top. However, if  Michigan QB Chad Henne does not throw that last second TD pass vs Penn State then the Niittany Lions go to the BCS Championship game that year against USC,  It would have not matter one bit that we defeated Ohio State on their home field that year. 

Edited by RC Horn

17 minutes ago, RC Horn said:

I have no problem with the 2005 Texas football team being on top. However, if  Michigan QB Chad Henne does not throw that last second TD pass vs Penn State then the Niittany Lions go to the BCS Championship game that year against USC,  It would have not matter one bit that we defeated Ohio State on their home field that year. 

lolwut

29 minutes ago, RC Horn said:

Disagree.  We started #2, and we were #2 all year until the clock hit zeros and we were #1.

The best thing joe-pa ever did for college football was his bitchass choice in '69.  If we're ever in a dead heat with all else equal, we trump pedder.

33 minutes ago, RC Horn said:

Also, 70-3.  We were not getting displaced.

• Like 1

Snoop: "Vince Young was impeccable. He was immaculate. He was marvelous, effervescent. I hated everything about him that night. Everything about him."

Fouts, quoting Carroll: "He's tough. I dunno what to do. He's gonna outrun our defensive linemen. He's bigger than our linebackers, and he's faster than our defensive backs. What do we do?"

On the 4th down stop...

Rak : "The stadium erupted. All the burnt orange was going crazy when we stopped 'em, because we knew that we was gonna win this game."

Lenwhale: "I remember just seeing everybody over there jumping up and down. I remember seeing ol' Vince running onto the field & I was just like 'Ah, shit'."

Crowder: "I knew we was gonna win 'cause that alien was coming on the field again..."

Fouts: "Nobody has ever had a game like that."

I remember the asshole USC fans on footballguys.com that ridiculed anyone who thought it would even be a good game. According to them the result was just a foregone conclusion and the game might as well not be played. I explained to them the bind VY was gonna put their D in & how they would have to pick their poison or just try to play him straight up and hope for the best, which is what they did, and they just wouldn't hear it. I was just a homer, full of shit, etc, etc. It was pretty gratifying to watch it play out just the way I told them it would & watch them either run & hide or eat crow. /csb

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

They talked so much shit outside the stadium before the game. It was like they were playing a typical SEC non-con FCS patsy. We had no shot at all in their minds. 

I also love that Michael Huff can show off his ring to recruits on our campus. The only way aggy can do something comparable is to dig up Great Grandpappy, rip off his skeleton finger, and show off that 1939 bling. No, not his Kow and Kream Klub pin, but his tarnished old pot metal 1939 championship ring. 

2001 Miami had 11 first round draft picks. And over 30 drafted. They even had some pro bowlers on the 2nd team. Their QB was nothing special but I think they have as much a right to #1 as any team on the list. Texas was a great story and Vince is the best college player of all time but I don’t know if we beat ‘01 Miami. Maybe we do. 

Penn State only finished 2 points behind us in the final BCS poll before the bowl season and the CCG. This poll occurred right after our lackluster performance that  years against aggy, a  team with a losing record playing without their starting QB. Had Penn State not lost to Michigan that year, they would have likely jumped us. Big 10 was considered to be a stronger conference that year.

13 minutes ago, RC Horn said:

Penn State only finished 2 points behind us in the final BCS poll before the bowl season and the CCG. This poll occurred right after our lackluster performance that  years against aggy, a  team with a losing record playing without their starting QB. Had Penn State not lost to Michigan that year, they would have likely jumped us. Big 10 was considered to be a stronger conference that year.

Bro.

On 7/26/2018 at 3:04 PM, Hank Chinaski said:

They got #1 right, but how the hell do you pick 08 Florida over 01 Miami? No fucking way.

They didn't "pick" anything.  It's a computer ranking.  You could argue that the algorithm is clearly flawed based on the results, but unless ESPN is lying, there is nothing subjective about the list.

On 7/26/2018 at 5:24 PM, Noah Fence said:

Hell, the two best teams in 2008 were Texas and OU (hate to admit it).  Under 2011 rules, Texas and OU play for the championship.

Agreed... But UT had scoreboard by a wide margin of 10 points, if both schools had been in the SEC, ESPN would have billed the rematch as the "Game of the Millenia"...

12 hours ago, RC Horn said:

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, RC Horn said:

incredulous.gif

On 7/26/2018 at 1:55 PM, Goo Punch said:

08 Texas > 08 Florida

Hard to say since transitive properties don't apply but it would have been a different ballgame though.  

On 7/26/2018 at 3:55 PM, hpslugga said:

2007 LSU over 2002 Ohio State. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Obviously I take no issue with 2005 Texas being at the top, but that list completely falls apart after that. And I have to jump back on the first thing I said: I cannot take seriously anyone who says that a 2-loss team, who only got into the BCS MNC game because Kansas had a stupid loss to Missouri at the end of the season and cost themselves a berth in the Big 12 CCG, was better than perhaps the greatest defense of the BCS era. Hell, it's arguable that LSU wasn't even the best team in the SEC that year.

Ohio State had a solid defense no doubt but even that 2007 LSU defense was better than that 2002 Buckeye defense.  And no way in hell is that 2002 Ohio State defense as good as the 2001 Miami defense, and it's not even close.  2003 and 2004 USC defenses might have been just as good, if not better. 2003 LSU had a better defense even.  

23 hours ago, RC Horn said:

No, Texas and USC weren't giving up their spots unless they had a loss.  Plus ESPN was going to do all they could to put both in the title game one way or another.  It's a prime example of how college football is rigged in favor of big schools who draw the bigger ratings, (not who is actually the better on the field see last year with UCF).  

21 hours ago, CastHorn said:

2001 Miami had 11 first round draft picks. And over 30 drafted. They even had some pro bowlers on the 2nd team. Their QB was nothing special but I think they have as much a right to #1 as any team on the list. Texas was a great story and Vince is the best college player of all time but I don’t know if we beat ‘01 Miami. Maybe we do. 

2001 Miami (due to their defense alone) was probably the best team of the BCS era, the 1995 Nebraska team might be the best of all-time, though.  I see no way that 2005 Texas team, even with VY beats that Miami defense and with the way USC was running up and down with Lendale, Miami with Clinton Portis wouldn't have been any different.  

Edited by Shmitty

where to begin. Portis and White aren't even comparable as backs. The thing that made White so unstoppable was his size and power. White had 2-3 inches and 25-30 lbs on Portis in college. Portis ran for 1200 yards and 10 TDs as a feature back- White ran for 1300 yards and 24 TDs as a complementary back. The idea that Portis = White is pretty ridiculous. Aside from that, White benefitted from the fact that the rest of his unstoppable offense was keeping the UT defense honest. He had two Heisman winners in his backfield. Miami averaged only 250 passing yards per game at only a 57% pass completion rate. They completed a whopping 17.6 passes per game. 2005 Texas sent two edge rushers and five db's to the nfl where they mostly all enjoyed long careers. There is no comparing the 2005 USC and 01 Miami offense, or their backfields. It's USC >>>>>> Miami. Come on.

Second, the idea that 2005 Texas had "no shot" at beating any college team is patently absurd.

Third, I'll take the team with the greatest/most unstoppable player/winner of all time at QB over Ken shitass Dorsey, who was an actually an inferior passer to VY, not to mention an inferior athlete/runner/player/leader/winner.

In conclusion, you cannot possibly be serious.

edit: as a matter of fact, 2005 Texas' backfield was so much better than 2001 Miami's it's stupid. Touting Clinton Portis as some unstoppable force is truly puzzling.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

over the years one thing has become apparent to me- the mythology of 2001 Miami exceeds the reality, while 2005 Texas is actually somehow still underrated. nobody outside of Texas realizes that we sent 5 DBs, four D linemen, three o linemen, and a TE to the NFL, which isn't even mentioning VY, Jamaal Charles, Ramince Taylor, and Selvin Young. Our team was STACKED.

Edited by Goo Punch

10 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

There’s no reason to believe that.

Explain.  That 2007 LSU defense was loaded.  

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

over the years one thing has become apparent to me- the mythology of 2001 Miami far exceeds the reality, while 2005 Texas is actually somehow still underrated. nobody outside of Texas realizes that we sent 5 DBs, four D linemen, three o linemen, and a TE to the NFL, which isn't even mentioning VY, Jamaal Charles, Ramince Taylor, and Selvin Young. Our team was STACKED.

But not as stacked as that 2001 Miami team.  That team was absolutely dominant against arguably, a better schedule.  

7 hours ago, Shmitty said:

Individual talent means jack shit compared to team output. All those draft picks mean is that they were a good team on paper, no different than that 2003 Texas team that wound up with 13 drafted players from that squad.

You’re literally suggesting that a 2-loss team with a defense that surrendered 20 points per game somehow had a better defense than Ohio State in 2002; a unit that surrendered 13 points per game.

-Ohio State got to that BCS game on their own merits in 2002. They had a perfect season.

-LSU needed outside help in 2007, namely Kansas losing to Missouri. Les Miles actually campaigned for LSU to get into the BCS title game on the grounds that “we’re undefeated in regulation.” A truly dominant team shouldn’t have to have their coach say something that ridiculous on their behalf...but they evidently did, especially given the loss to unranked Arkansas at the end of the year. I’m sorry, but that Arkansas game alone is a trump card against them. 

Also, 2002 Ohio State beat a much better team in the MNC game than LSU beat. That’s not in dispute.

EDIT: And having said all that, the question you posted is highly inappropriate. I specifically stated  that there was “no reason to believe” the comment you made. I don’t need to explain shit to you. When you state that you disagree with a comment like “there’s no reason to believe X,” you therefore assume the burden of proof because you made the positive claim by implying that in fact there is a reason to believe it. So what are the reasons? Well you said that LSU’s 2007 defense was “loaded” and that was it. That’s not terribly convincing.

Edited by hpslugga

1 hour ago, Shmitty said:

But not as stacked as that 2001 Miami team.  That team was absolutely dominant against arguably, a better schedule.  

Against a better schedule? You mean the big east? Hahahahahaha

Hahahahahaha

HoarseJudiciousCicada-max-1mb.gif

1455598336523.gif

184029_30267d4d004c515082f801aab2769cee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No they weren't. First off they came closer to losing a game than Texas did- twice. Texas never had a performance anywhere near as shitty as Miami's near-death escape against mighty Boston College. They won that game 18-7 on a miracle defensive TD by Ed Reed when they were more than a 90% favorite to lose before the strip/TD return. They also struggled against a crappy Va Tech team. They blew out some teams, but they weren't any more dominating than 2005 Texas. In fact, they were arguably less dominant. 

Texas average score: 50.15 – 16.38

Miami average score: 42.6 - 9

…and Miami didn’t play anyone as good as either tOSU or USC. Texas had the tougher schedule and was at least equally dominant, if not more so. Texas averaged 512 yards of offense per game, Miami averaged 455; Texas outgained their opponents by an average of 209 yards, while Miami did so by 184; Texas averaged more first downs, had fewer penalties for fewer penalty yards (Texas is more than 20 yards better per game than Miami here), had fewer turnovers, averaged an insane 4.2 Rushing TDs per game (Miami 2.3), and averaged a total of 6.2 TDs per game to Miami’s 4.5.

You’re making stuff up here. Portis is nobody special and Miami was neither more dominant than Texas, nor did they play a better schedule.

Edited by Goo Punch

No, Texas and USC weren't giving up their spots unless they had a loss.  Plus ESPN was going to do all they could to put both in the title game one way or another.  It's a prime example of how college football is rigged in favor of big schools who draw the bigger ratings, (not who is actually the better on the field see last year with UCF).  

It is actually a horrible example. What it is an example of is the two best teams from start to finish playing for a national title.

23 hours ago, RC Horn said:

What the fuck is this? BillyMadisonnoppoints.gif borderline neg worthy...

05 Texas beats 01 Miami. As mentioned above Leinart and the USC passing game opened up the running game for an already explosive Bush and bruising White. You will never convince me the 01 Miami backfield is far and away better than 05 USC. Dorsey doesn’t open up jackshit. Texas is stacking the box daring Ken to beat us. Not happening. That’s before we even start talking about the 05 Texas offense. I don’t care how many Ed Reeds you got Texas is putting up numbers.

Miami never played a team as good as tOSU (on the road no less), they never played a team as good as USC (in the Rose Bowl with the title on the line), and they damn sure never played a team with a backfield of Vince Young, Jamaal Charles, Ramonce Taylor, and Selvin Young. Don't tell me that 2001 Miami would have their same stats and records playing at tOSU and vs USC in the Rose Bowl, much less if they faced a juggernaut like 2005 Texas. Their calling card was their passing defense, while Texas made its hay by running the ball better than any team ever. Texas had an NFL backfield, 3 NFL O linemen, and an NFL TE, along with a top 5 nationally ranked defense that featured at least 7 future pros. The mystique of "The U" has everyone lost in the sauce, just the same as the mystique of Vince Young has everyone not realizing just how stacked the rest of the team was.

On 7/30/2018 at 2:08 AM, CastHorn said:

Funny how people always talk about how many draft picks and NFL players they had, while never mentioning that they were actually underwheliming and nearly lost multiple games that year. It took an absolute miracle to save that team from losing to a totally mediocre Boston College team. 96 Nebraska, 2005 Texas, USC of 04 and 05- none of these teams ever looked as bad or got as close to losing to a team like BC the way Miami did. Is 2001 Miami the most loaded team of the last 30+ years? Yeah I think so. But that doesn't mean they were the best or most dominant team, which, in my opinion, they weren't. And I think that the stats and video back that up.

Nobody even remembers this game:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2001-12-01-virginia-tech.html

Va Tech had 5 turnovers and starting QB Grant Noel went 4-16 for 81 yards (0TD, 4 INT) while Miami had 10 penalties, two turnovers, averaged 3.6 yards per carry on 41 carries and passed for a paltry 235 yards on 44 attempts (21 completions). But nobod ever talks about that game or acknowledges its existence. Name any other contender for greatest college team of all time and none of them ever had a game like that one or the BC game. 2001 Miami is a myth that did not equal the sum of its parts. What it is is one of the handful of best and most talented teams of all time. What it is not is some be-all, end-all juggernaut that would smash anybody it faced. This team nearly lost and looked terrible against two honestly poor teams. 

latest?cb=20131224233033

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, Sagarin has Texas' 2005 schedule ranked #13, and Miami's 2001 schedule ranked #27.

I'min no way suggesting those two can be compared directly, because they are from different years, but it's at least an indication that the idea Miami played a tougher schedule is kinda stupid.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...