All encompassing PAC 4 thread

Sbbruin

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Just bought plane tix for the boy and I to see the Bruins @ Cal.  We do one roadie every year, and picking Cal this year.  Hopefully we have a better result than @ Stanford last year.

See you there. I'll be the guy who, amongst Cal fans, is notably large, drunk, and as invested in football as any native Texan would be. 

16 minutes ago, LTbear said:

See you there. I'll be the guy who, amongst Cal fans, is notably large, drunk, and as invested in football as any native Texan would be. 

I'll be looking for your avatar.  Assuming she'll be with you.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'll be looking for your avatar.  Assuming she'll be with you.

Might be - she actually has a few weekends off on her upcoming rotation.

You probably don't want to go around trying to recognize women by the shape of their ass on the Berkeley campus though, just FYI.

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Just bought plane tix for the boy and I to see the Bruins @ Cal.  We do one roadie every year, and picking Cal this year.  Hopefully we have a better result than @ Stanford last year.

Cal's a fun trip (honestly, most of them are in the conference).  Will probably go down there again myself this year.

It's a shame you guys aren't up in Seattle again until 2021, though.

Edited by flatdawgs
wrong year, dumbass

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I’ve been to the (old) husky stadium and it s a rockin House.  We won when I went, but pretty sure we are a couple of years away from winning up there

Shit, you always seem to win when it matters.  I will never, ever forget 1990 - a bad Bruin team keeps UW from a likely first NT - which was followed by an actual one the following year, so even more disappointing.  UW was #2 that day and #1 ND lost the next week - the Huskies went on to blow out WSU and then destroy Iowa in the Rose Bowl.  Not the worst day I ever spent in Husky Stadium, but certainly way up there.  That rat bastard Terry Donahue I believe had the only winning record against Don James amongst conference foes.  (I actually respected and even liked Donahue, but damn it.)

If both coaches stay in place, 2021 should be a great matchup.  Hope it's in November. 😝

13 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Shit, you always seem to win when it matters.  I will never, ever forget 1990 - a bad Bruin team keeps UW from a likely first NT - which was followed by an actual one the following year, so even more disappointing.  UW was #2 that day and #1 ND lost the next week - the Huskies went on to blow out WSU and then destroy Iowa in the Rose Bowl.  Not the worst day I ever spent in Husky Stadium, but certainly way up there.  That rat bastard Terry Donahue I believe had the only winning record against Don James amongst conference foes.  (I actually respected and even liked Donahue, but damn it.)

If both coaches stay in place, 2021 should be a great matchup.  Hope it's in November. 😝

I went to the UW v Iowa RB game.  We went down to a Tournament of Roses event as my (then future) FIL was a big wig with the tournament.  We had no plans on going to the game, but we are on the golf course drinking and halfway through the first quarter there were still guys desperately trying to sell tix.  I kept saying no until I finally got a guy to sell me 2 for $25 total.  Ended up being on the 20 with a bunch of UW fans around.  It was a blast, from what I vaguely, hazily remember.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

Cal's a fun trip (honestly, most of them are in the conference).  Will probably go down there again myself this year.

Turns out the UCLA Cal game is their homecoming, so hotels were pricey.  Ended up getting a room at the Doubletree Berkeley Marina.  Couple miles from campus, but at least overlooking the water.  Should be fun.  Only stadium I have left to see in the PAC is Wazzu.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Turns out the UCLA Cal game is their homecoming, so hotels were pricey.  Ended up getting a room at the Doubletree Berkeley Marina.  Couple miles from campus, but at least overlooking the water.  Should be fun.  Only stadium I have left to see in the PAC is Wazzu.

There's a restaurant right there at the marina - blanking on the name - that is a great place to get a drink. Views are exceptional for the area. 

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Wazzu isn't actually a bad place to watch a game, except of course the obvious challenges in getting there.  The Palouse can be beautiful and Pullman is a fairly typical small college town. I'm sure SDG can give you pointers when you decide to go....

I've hit all the stadia in conference at least twice now - Bay Area usually just fly in and out same day when possible.  They all have something around to do whether it be the city or the Western parks, don't they? (Again, probably excepting Pullman here although the Idaho Rockies aren't that far).  Great conference for road trips even with the distances.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, flatdawgs said:

Shit, you always seem to win when it matters.  I will never, ever forget 1990 - a bad Bruin team keeps UW from a likely first NT - which was followed by an actual one the following year, so even more disappointing.  UW was #2 that day and #1 ND lost the next week - the Huskies went on to blow out WSU and then destroy Iowa in the Rose Bowl.  Not the worst day I ever spent in Husky Stadium, but certainly way up there.  

I wuz their.  It sucked.  It rained at the end, and I thought we were going to come back.   I wuz rong.

That team was loaded.

• Like 1

Audio of preditions for the PAC this season:

Quack 12 Podcast: We Make Our Completely Biased PAC-12 Picks ...

2 days ago - That's right! Actual football is just around the corner, meaning it's time to make some completely petty and unfair PAC-12 picks! Also, we cover ...

The PAC is shifting it's focus more to broadcast CFA games...

The Pac-12 Networks’ tactical pivot: Football assumes larger role within the programming plan

• Jon Wilner
  • PUBLISHED: August 6, 2018 at 8:30 am | UPDATED: August 6, 2018 at 8:32 am
  • Categories:College Sports, Sports

Based on comments by commissioner Larry Scott at Pac-12 football media day — “The scorecard we think matters, and that I know our university presidents and athletic directors care about most, is academic and athletic success across all sports’’ — the conference ethos leans egalitarian.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/06/p12n/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

A key portion of the above article states:

For years, that viewpoint was reflected in the Pac-12 Networks’ programming decisions. Executives seemed  determine keep football in check, lest the beast swallow whole the conference’s beloved Olympic sports.

In 2018, however, we’ll see the beginnings of a revamped approach fueled by the campuses themselves and implemented by a new management team.

The universities and the athletic directors have told us they want to emphasize football,” networks president Mark Shuken told the Hotline.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Some day some day I'd really like to see a game at each Washington school.  Don't really give a fuck about the rest of the league either way.

Hope you do - I'd love to see a game at Jack Trice myself.  Iowa State seems to be like Oregon State is in the Pac-12:  everyone's second favorite team (except Oregon's).  The difference of course is that you care a lot more about football than they do, and perhaps party even more than WSU - which is saying something.

Pullman is difficult to get to and impossible to get lodging in on a game weekend; you'd be best served flying into Spokane and staying there (it's 90 min. or so away).  Of course if you make it out this way in September and can do a back-to-back, fly in and out of Seattle and drive the 5+ hours. The Cascades are stunning and you can hit some nice wine country along the way if that's your thing.  Throw Portland in there and hit the Columbia Gorge one way.

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Boy, that's some radical thinking there.  How does one's brain even come up with the idea to show more football and less volleyball and water polo?

NOW CAN YOU FUCKING SIGN A CONTRACT WITH DIRECTV????

Agreed, and I think the PAC is now under Shuken, looking to leverage it's brand to all of AT&T/ Amazon/ DirecTV/ ESPN/ FS1, for new contracts of 2023, as most forget the PAC at one time had the highest signed media contract in the history of collegiate sports, notwithstanding brands as planned as Texas/ Oklahoma & Kansas as originally proposed...

(how time flies)

Pac-12 Eyes 2024 TV Negotiations After League Extends ... - Forbes

Jul 8, 2018 - Although the Pac-12 agreements with the aforementioned networks do not expire until after the 2023-2024 season, the conference is already ...

11 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Hope you do - I'd love to see a game at Jack Trice myself.  Iowa State seems to be like Oregon State is in the Pac-12:  everyone's second favorite team (except Oregon's).  The difference of course is that you care a lot more about football than they do, and perhaps party even more than WSU - which is saying something.

Pullman is difficult to get to and impossible to get lodging in on a game weekend; you'd be best served flying into Spokane and staying there (it's 90 min. or so away).  Of course if you make it out this way in September and can do a back-to-back, fly in and out of Seattle and drive the 5+ hours. The Cascades are stunning and you can hit some nice wine country along the way if that's your thing.  Throw Portland in there and hit the Columbia Gorge one way.

Wife has family in Seattle, so UW is a real possibility.  Would likely build a larger Labor Day weekend trip around the game.  Not sure when this would go down, but I can see it happening.

i would assume the era of Airbnb has made Pullman possible.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Wife has family in Seattle, so UW is a real possibility.  Would likely build a larger Labor Day weekend trip around the game.  Not sure when this would go down, but I can see it happening.

i would assume the era of Airbnb has made Pullman possible.

If you plan in advance - maybe.  Pullman only has around 30k population, including students and faculty, so if there is much in the way of Airbnbs they'll be limited.  Moscow, ID is less than 10 miles east, but that's even smaller (and has the U of I in town).  You'd probably end up in Lewiston, ID, Spokane, or Walla Walla if you went that route (Walla Walla is a cool wine town but not particularly close).

If you ever do get out this way for a game shoot me a message.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 6:23 PM, flatdawgs said:

Wazzu isn't actually a bad place to watch a game, except of course the obvious challenges in getting there.  The Palouse can be beautiful and Pullman is a fairly typical small college town. I'm sure SDG can give you pointers when you decide to go....

I've hit all the stadia in conference at least twice now - Bay Area usually just fly in and out same day when possible.  They all have something around to do whether it be the city or the Western parks, don't they? (Again, probably excepting Pullman here although the Idaho Rockies aren't that far).  Great conference for road trips even with the distances.

Flatdawgs is right.  Wazzu and Pullman is a great place to take in a game, especially league games, but it's a real challenge to get to and lodging is limited.  The last time I went we rented an RV in Spokane and drove it down.  That being said the game day atmosphere is much more aligned with a B12 pregame then your typical P12 experience. It's well worth even with the transportation and lodging challenges.  

I've done most of the P12 circuit with exception of UO and our two new conference friends.  11/10 in Boulder seems interesting.  Has anyone done that trip?  Is 11/10 too early to hit the local slopes?    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SDG said:

Flatdawgs is right.  Wazzu and Pullman is a great place to take in a game, especially league games, but it's a real challenge to get to and lodging is limited.  The last time I went we rented an RV in Spokane and drove it down.  That being said the game day atmosphere is much more aligned with a B12 pregame then your typical P12 experience. It's well worth even with the transportation and lodging challenges.  

I've done most of the P12 circuit with exception of UO and our two new conference friends.  11/10 in Boulder seems interesting.  Has anyone done that trip?  Is 11/10 too early to hit the local slopes?    

I've done the Boulder trip - great place, although we were there in early October I think.  We had the 11am (local) game so spent the rest of the day hitting various bars and watching college football because sometimes life doesn't suck.  Drove up to Rocky Mountain NP the next day for a day hike, and the great fall weather quickly turned to howling winds and snow.  Hard to say - lots of Colorado folks on the board will have much better info - but 11/10 may get you some snow at some of the areas.

Hard to recommend Oregon.  ;)  (actually if they don't hate you it's a good atmosphere).  Utah is fine too, especially if you make a long weekend of it and hit some of the parks.

I really do enjoy Pullman (although some years the drive home is a lot longer than others); it's a real college atmosphere and the stadium is small but not a bad seat in the place.  Plus the folks at the Methodist church where we tailgate are always very nice and they open up the bathrooms so you don't freeze it off.  Pos rep to them.

19 minutes ago, SDG said:

I did Boulder last year for the Husky game.  It rained like hell the whole game, but I had a blast.  

They don't sell beer in the stands, but there's a huge old gym/indoor track/airplane hanger connected to the west side of the stadium where they sell beer.  I mean, they REALLY sell beer.  One the east side, you walk out of the stadium and there's a huge underground gymnastic center where they sell beer.  The stadium empties at half, and those fill up.

The fans I encountered were great.  Several game me the "thanks for coming" greeting.  I think they're pretty happy to be in the Pac-12 instead of making road trips to Ames, Stillwater, etc.

Yeah, when we were there most of the businesses had "Welcome Husky Fans!" signs in the windows.  That was nice.

Weird, but nice.

(of course that's when they were having a mudhole stomped in them by a new team every week, so why not)

They seem to fit into the conference well.  Surprisingly, to me anyway, I think Utah's also been a good addition.

12 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

Yeah, when we were there most of the businesses had "Welcome Husky Fans!" signs in the windows.  That was nice.

Weird, but nice.

(of course that's when they were having a mudhole stomped in them by a new team every week, so why not)

They seem to fit into the conference well.  Surprisingly, to me anyway, I think Utah's also been a good addition.

I think CU in the conference was an absolute no-brainer.  It's a great place to visit and every campus location's fans can fly there direct, except for maybe Wazzu.  Plus, the Denver area is absolutely loaded with money.  Very good academics at CU.  

Of all the schools that switched conferences, I think CU was the best "get."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I think CU in the conference was an absolute no-brainer.  It's a great place to visit and every campus location's fans can fly there direct, except for maybe Wazzu.  Plus, the Denver area is absolutely loaded with money.  Very good academics at CU.  

Of all the schools that switched conferences, I think CU was the best "get."

Yeah, I think CU has a huge alumni base in California so them in the PAC has always made perfect sense.  

I wish ISU had a little more scheduling freedom.  Would love series with Wazzu and OSU (and UDub & UO for that matter).  

Colorado also lost money by switching conferences, and hasn't improved their program or the interest in it.

The SEC probably got more financial value out of Aggy than the Pac 12 got out of CU.  I don't know that any schools who left the Big 12 or ACC made their new conferences any better.

If anything, the Big 12 raised their actual football acumen by losing the 4 schools they did and adding TCU and WVU.  I realize they aren't "helmet" schools, but over the past 15 years they've been better than any of the former Big 12 schools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Colorado also lost money by switching conferences, and hasn't improved their program or the interest in it.

The SEC probably got more financial value out of Aggy than the Pac 12 got out of CU.  I don't know that any schools who left the Big 12 or ACC made their new conferences any better.

If anything, the Big 12 raised their actual football acumen by losing the 4 schools they did and adding TCU and WVU.  I realize they aren't "helmet" schools, but over the past 15 years they've been better than any of the former Big 12 schools.

I'd say loosing Nebraska, no matter how sucky the past 2 decades, was a loss of a quality brand...

After that, Texas A&M and Colorado were both solid second tier brands who had strong secondary rivalries with both Texas & Nebraska respectively...

Both West Virginia and TCU was a complete upgrade to anything Missouri offered, even with the loss of the Kansas rivalry...

14 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I'd say loosing Nebraska, no matter how sucky the past 2 decades, was a loss of a quality brand...

After that, Texas A&M and Colorado were both solid second tier brands who had strong secondary rivalries with both Texas & Nebraska respectively...

Both West Virginia and TCU was a complete upgrade to anything Missouri offered, even with the loss of the Kansas rivalry...

I'm just talking about actual football.

• blacklab changed the title to All encompassing PAC 4 thread