All encompassing PAC 4 thread

Sbbruin

Looks like every indication is that Speight is going to get the start for UCLA.  I just don't think Kelly is ready to throw DTR to wolves out of the gate.  But I also think he doesn't hesitate to burn his RS if he thinks he's ready at some point this season.

Most frivolous and inconsequential contribution to the thread:  was listening to the Athlon Cover 2 podcast and they made the argument that the PAC 12 is the most aesthetically pleasing conference based on a variety of factors including style of play, cities, stadiums, uniforms and the like.  I tend to agree.

10 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Most frivolous and inconsequential contribution to the thread:  was listening to the Athlon Cover 2 podcast and they made the argument that the PAC 12 is the most aesthetically pleasing conference based on a variety of factors including style of play, cities, stadiums, uniforms and the like.  I tend to agree.

Well, the PAC has to rank #1 at somethin' pertaining to football at the start of the season, right..?

A lot of built in advantages for the members of the conference if & when the coaches get things in order...

On 8/10/2018 at 8:47 PM, ButtFumble said:

Christobal looks like he could really get things going at Oregon I was surprised by the hire, but he is a real momentum type of coach if he can get things on a roll then he could do well

I am really surprised by how well he is recruiting right now and pretty surprised about how bad some Pac 12 teams seem to be recruiting

I think USC might be ready for another "your taxi is over there" runway incident and Utah seems to be off to a really slow recruiting start.....no surprise where WSU is mike is reaching full self destruct mode and I think Stanford is on a possible glide path to 5 or 6 win seasons

Cal is having a pretty decent recruiting season so far (for Cal qualifier) and UW seems to be off, but their coach can coach so that helps

Colorado is having a pretty good year and AU and ASU seem to be in "wait until next year" mode to see what Herm and Rummy do....I am surprised Rummy is not recruiting a little better so far because recruiting was never an issue for him at aggy and lets face it aggy or AU for people choosing a school to play sport and fuck chicks 

Oregon State needs help bad

Oregon is the easiest recruiting sell in the Pac 12, except maybe SC. No surprise at all that the Ducks are doing well. As for the team, Justin Herbert is the best QB in the conference, aside from possibly...

Kahlil Tate is the real deal. If Sumlin can field a decent defense then Zona will be scary good and recruiting will work itself out.

Cal has only one WR commit so far. That's not good for a position of need, but it's early. OTOH, the team seems to be loading up on TEs after going several years without any.

I'm not buying the CU hype, yet. 

It is odd that Stanford has apparently become the team with the one phenom player (McCaffery then, now Love) followed by everyone else. They used to have several standouts at a time.

My week 1 Pac predictions (ATS):
Oregon -28.5 vs. Bowling Green

Colorado -6 v CSU- CU

Stanford -14  v SDSU- Stanford

Oregon State +38 at Ohio State- Ohio St
Arizona -14.5 vs BYU- BYU
Arizona State -17.5 vs. UT-San Antonio- ASU
USC -27 vs. UNLV- SC
UCLA -15.5 vs. Cincinnati- UCLA
Washington +3.5 vs. Auburn (neutral site in Atlanta)- UW
Cal -6 vs. North Carolina- Cal
Washington State -4 at Wyoming- WSU

• Like 1

17 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

It is odd that Stanford has apparently become the team with the one phenom player (McCaffery then, now Love) followed by everyone else. They used to have several standouts at a time.

Their defense is not going to be good.  But they have a few standouts on offense.

Love, Arcega-Whiteside (WR), Parkinson/Kaden Smith (TE), Little (T), Herbig (G)

QB is a baller coming into his second season. 

Stanford's offense is loaded.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

Story now on USAToday:

Santino Marchiol dismissed by Arizona after video with racist term ...

4 hours ago - Santino Marchiol dismissed by Arizona after video appears to show him using racist term. ... Arizona dismissed linebacker Santino Marchiol from the program Monday, coach Kevin Sumlin announced, after a video surfaced over the weekend in which he twice appeared to refer to former Texas ...

On 8/27/2018 at 9:05 AM, Sbbruin said:

Colorado -6 v CSU- CU

USC -27 vs. UNLV- SC

Sleeping on my Aztecs, huh?  That's a dangerous game to play. 

2 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Come tailgate with us Gil Sept 15

I would LOVE to but I can't.  Thanks for the invite. I'm headed to Italy on Monday. Going Miami-Milan, and doing Rome-JFK on the 14th.  Staying there in New York for a few days and won't be back home until 16th or 17th.

Really appreciate the invite, and I hate to miss a good tailgate.  I hope it's a great game.  The Murph is a fun tailgate.  I don't get crazy for SDSU games as much, but we had a blast at the old hornfans Holiday Bowl tailgates. 

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I would LOVE to but I can't.  Thanks for the invite. I'm headed to Italy on Monday. Going Miami-Milan, and doing Rome-JFK on the 14th.  Staying there in New York for a few days and won't be back home until 16th or 17th.

Really appreciate the invite, and I hate to miss a good tailgate.  I hope it's a great game.  The Murph is a fun tailgate.  I don't get crazy for SDSU games as much, but we had a blast at the old hornfans Holiday Bowl tailgates. 

Better plans for sure.  

Hey- leave the key under the mat would ya?  I'm staying at my brother's in La Jolla, but could always use a spare place in case I get lucky (the Avatar isn't going).

Thanks!

Pfft.  Like it's not that way already.

Trying to post some content from an article in the San Jose Mercury News on the expansion from Pac-8 to Pac-10.  Told from the first-person perspective of John Sandbrook who was the assistant to then UCLA chancellor Charles Young.  Interesting read.  AU was the original school that wanted in.  ASU needed to come with.  Good background on the politics and finances of the Pac at the time and how two schools (looking at you UW and Tree) looked to thwart the movement until someone threatened to blow the whole conference up.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/29/40-years-ago-the-arizona-schools-joined-the-pac-8-an-insiders-account-of-the-process-that-nearly-destroyed-the-conference/

Somehow Mercury News thinks I'm at my article quota, even though this was the only article I read.  Clowns.

• Like 1

For those that don't want to up for the whole 99 cents, there's a short recap on this topic here:

Let's Celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Arizona and ASU Joining the Pac-12

POSTED BY CHRISTOPHER BOAN ON WED, AUG 29, 2018 AT 4:43 PM

The Pac-12 Conference added Arizona and ASU 40 years ago.

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the then-Pac-8 adding two vagabond programs, Arizona and Arizona State, to its conference. 

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2018/08/29/lets-celebrate-the-40th-anniversary-of-arizona-and-asu-joining-the-pac-12

Edited by kopp0e

13 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Pfft.  Like it's not that way already.

Trying to post some content from an article in the San Jose Mercury News on the expansion from Pac-8 to Pac-10.  Told from the first-person perspective of John Sandbrook who was the assistant to then UCLA chancellor Charles Young.  Interesting read.  AU was the original school that wanted in.  ASU needed to come with.  Good background on the politics and finances of the Pac at the time and how two schools (looking at you UW and Tree) looked to thwart the movement until someone threatened to blow the whole conference up.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/29/40-years-ago-the-arizona-schools-joined-the-pac-8-an-insiders-account-of-the-process-that-nearly-destroyed-the-conference/

Somehow Mercury News thinks I'm at my article quota, even though this was the only article I read.  Clowns.

This is pretty excellent. 

In hindsight, adding AZ and ASU has been a great decision -- they're both better schools than OSU or WSU and there is sooooooooo much money in Phoenix. 

And it's comical to read that ASU was reluctant to join the Pac because their football team was doing so well in the WAC. 

But this:

Young then told us that Hubbard had stated, loudly, that if Washington and Stanford voted ‘no’ on the proposal, then USC would announce to the assembled press downstairs that, instead of the Pac-8 expanding with an invitation to UA and ASU, USC was instead providing public notice that it would be withdrawing immediately as a member of the Pac-8. Young told J.D., Doug, and I that everyone had turned white in the meeting room and a recess was called.

Young turned to the three of us and asked “What should we do, if Jack does this?” And I remember that J.D. replied without a moment’s hesitation, “Chuck, you will stand next to Jack Hubbard and say that UCLA is joining USC in withdrawing from the Pac-8 also.”

That's just not a credible threat.  I can't believe that swung the vote.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 7:29 PM, Gil Bang said:

Sleeping on my Aztecs, huh?  That's a dangerous game to play. 

Those guys sucked.

My rankings after week one. 

USC

California A&M/Westwood

Washington

Utah

Stanford

Washington State

Oregon

Arizona State

Colorado

Arizona

Oregon State

The Berkeley Academy

I actually didn't see shit.  This is mostly intuition but mainly an attempt to limit kopp0e replies.

On 8/27/2018 at 9:05 AM, Sbbruin said:

Colorado -6 v CSU- CU

USC -27 vs. UNLV- SC

Wazzu saved my betting weekend after UW and Texas shit the bed...

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Cincy game was arguably the easiest game on our schedule.  I am massively deflated.  I’m going sailing and forgetting about college football today.  At least the Dodgers have caught the Snakes for first.

Always thought that the best thing about he Pac12 is that if your team sucks, you can more quickly put it into perspective (sailing, Pacific Ocean, mountains) than you can in other conferences. (Lake Texoma).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Always thought that the best thing about he Pac12 is that if your team sucks, you can more quickly put it into perspective (sailing, Pacific Ocean, mountains) than you can in other conferences. (Lake Texoma).

Yep. When I was in Boulder and the Buffs sucked, life was still amazing with the mountains right outside my door.

51 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Cincy game was arguably the easiest game on our schedule.  I am massively deflated.  I’m going sailing and forgetting about college football today.  At least the Dodgers have caught the Snakes for first.

I watched Maryland depants Texas.  Then I watched Auburn manhandle UDub.  And then I watched Archie Bradley give up a game-winning bomb to Matt Kemp.

Yesterday was not one of the better days in my life.

• blacklab changed the title to All encompassing PAC 4 thread