All encompassing PAC 4 thread

Sbbruin

8 hours ago, tantric superman said:
Stanford has beaten cal 8 years in a row.  Stanford has beaten UCLA 10 years in a row plus once in the Conference championship.

8 + 10 + 1 = 19.

On Saturday, while we are savoring the Texas victory, the Big Game may be televised on, I don't know, Pac12 Arizona.

19 + 1 = 20 if they win.

I think his point is that you haven't "beaten UCLA and Cal 19 times in a row." That's not how that works. That would mean that Stanford has won their last 19 games that were against either team.

In reality that streak currently stands at 18, which is impressive enough and only one off.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I've never been as interested in the P12 as much as others here.  I'd rather go B10.  But if Texas does go west this guy needs to be removed either prior or shortly immediately after.

There is strong reason to now assume the XII would be the one poaching the PAC, as noticed by the current economic situation of the PACN, vs the 3rd tier of LHN/OUtv...

Here's the latest from the OregonLive that @Beau Vine and @Post Oak posted earlier:

Pac-12 Loses "staring contest" with DirectTV

Excerpts:

1) Pac 12 has no money to pay coaches competitively next to other Power Five.  Two of the three biggest hires (Kelly and Sumlin) are competitive only because other organizations are paying part of their bill.

Head%20coach%20salaries%20(1)%5B1%5D.png

2) Attendance is down due to stupid kick off times and six day windows

Football%20attendance%20(1)%5B1%5D.png

3) The Pac-12 CEO group cares a lot about non-revenue sports championships and that's why the Pac 12 Network is built the way it is.   However, it is only carried in 17.5m homes.

Conference%20TV%20channels%20(1)%5B2%5D.

4) DirectTV couldn't provide different sports packages at the time like cable companies could, so they wouldn't pay the higher rates in the cable contracts.   If Scott discounted DTV to get the homes, he'd have to give the same discount to the cable companies.   They chose rates over eyeballs and lost.

5) Olympic sport expenses are high, investment in football is low.

• Like 2

The way I understand the Directv fiasco is that Scott initially negotiated terms with Comcast.  (All numbers here are not necessarily accurate, except ordinally.)  Comcast agreed to pay P12 $.50 per subscriber.  They also got a clause that gave them "Most Favored Nation" status, meaning that if the P12 signed a cheaper contract with another provider, those terms would also be given to Comcast.  And Scott offered the same deal to every provider that signed up after Comcast, including Dish.

So then Scott went to DTV and asked for $.50/subscriber, and DTV told him to pound sand.

The difference is that DTV has a nationwide service.  Comcast has all sorts of regional providers, and they basically decided to only offer P12 Network in the P12 region; they didn't offer P12N through Comcast Northeast, or whatever.  So Comcast could charge $.50/subscriber mainly to western affiliates, while DTV would have to charge $.50/subscriber to the entire country.  (Dish basically took a gamble that having the P12N would bring them subscribers from DTV, and my friends on the west coast seem to all have Dish.)

Then the SEC Network came along, and asked DTV for $.80/subscriber in SEC states and $.10/subscriber in non-SEC states (which was why getting A&M was huge for the SEC).  Directv said you betcha and signed them up immediately.  

The P12 couldn't do that kind of deal, because it would force them to redo all of their other deals, including chopping their revenue from Dish at least in half.

So basically Larry Scott fucked the conference because he didn't understand the difference between a nationwide provider (DTV) and a conglomeration of regional providers (Comcast) when he started negotiating the deals.  But in Larry's words, we only have to wait until 2024 to fix it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here's an interesting excerpt regarding UCLA and Neuheisel.

UCLA had a $7.5 million agreement with Adidas while Neuheisel was the Bruins' coach. About $1 million of that came in the form of apparel and equipment. Neuheisel said only a fraction of the equipment allocation ever made its way to football.

"We didn't even have enough gloves for everyone on the team," he said. "We were asked to share with the rest of the athletic department. I couldn't go to my first and second-string players and give them gloves and then not give everyone else gloves.

Texas should set up shop in SoCal.  

5 hours ago, Anwar Namtut said:

Most interesting thing about the article is the information you just quoted ^^^^. I know a lot of programs struggle with their sports financing, but I would not have guessed UCLA was one of them.

I guess the schools don't struggle making sure teams have food..? I think that's a good thing, now learn to "cut waste" on overspending on the PACN:

Another angle 

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Washington-State-football-Mike-Leach-Woodie-Dixon-Larry-Scott-Gardner-Minshew-125644413/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

WOODIE DIXON is the Pac-12's general counsel and head of football, a Harvard-educated lawyer who makes more ($587,141) than Washington State President Kirk Schulz.  But Dixon has no officiating experience, nor any specialized instant-replay training. Yet, the Oregonian's John Canzano writes, Dixon from his home had two instant-replay calls in the WSU-USC game changed.

Yahoo Sports obtained a copy of the replay report filed after the WSU-USC game. In it, replay official Gary McNanna indicated he believed there should have been a targeting call against USC linebacker Justin Porter against Coug QB Gardner Minshew but "unfortunately a third party did not agree," with the call.  

On 11/29/2018 at 10:45 AM, Hurtlocker said:

Here's the latest from the OregonLive that @Beau Vine and @Post Oak posted earlier:

Excerpts:

1) Pac 12 has no money to pay coaches competitively next to other Power Five.  Two of the three biggest hires (Kelly and Sumlin) are competitive only because other organizations are paying part of their bill.

3) The Pac-12 CEO group cares a lot about non-revenue sports championships and that's why the Pac 12 Network is built the way it is.   However, it is only carried in 17.5m homes.

4) DirectTV couldn't provide different sports packages at the time like cable companies could, so they wouldn't pay the higher rates in the cable contracts.   If Scott discounted DTV to get the homes, he'd have to give the same discount to the cable companies.   They chose rates over eyeballs and lost.

sypm5WO.png

How that CFP tally might look in about 15 minutes, the XII could be tied with the B1G for 3 appearances/ while the SEC is in all 6/ ACC just missed 1/ and the PAC is still last...

Edited by kopp0e

On 11/29/2018 at 10:45 AM, Hurtlocker said:

Excerpts:

Head%20coach%20salaries%20(1)%5B1%5D.png

Yes. This is from a four part series from Oregon Live. Required reading. A shit show of self-dealing and insular university presidents.  

https://articles.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2018/11/pac-12-larry-scott-leftout-part1.amp

1 hour ago, BarkingSpider said:

The Pac 12 leadership has been so arrogant and short-sited, that none of this surprises me.  In fact, I hope they keep this up till their conference implodes.  

Yeah, at some point the Pac-12 is going go have to throw a lifeline to BYU in order to survive. 

lucille-portable.gif

Fuck off Schmitty.

This is kind of cherry picking. Quick look at 247 shows #2-5 haven't signed and three of those four are considering/leaning USC. 22 is also a selective cutoff given that SC signed 23 and 24.

Still, the overall point stands. California is wide open. Texas should be one of the schools best positioned to exploit that. And it also makes you wonder - if Helton was struggling after perennial top 5-10 classes, how's it gonna look when a bunch of elite talent isn't coming in to reload?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

https://pac-12.com/article/2019/07/24/pac-12-announces-findings-recommendations-independent-football-officiating-review

"An independent review concluded that the Pac-12’s football officiating program is fundamentally sound and predominantly consistent with industry best practice, including with regard to the quality of officials and use of state-of-the-art technology." 😂

• blacklab changed the title to All encompassing PAC 4 thread