Corporate Surveillance

Hugo Stiglitz

45 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Welcome to the new world order. 

I haven't used 23 and Me. Do the terms of service include an informed consent?  Is there an opt-in or opt-out?  Is the research conducted with the necessary IRB approvals? 

This, plus the cops worming their way into the genealogy DNA stuff, has stirred up a hornet's nest among the genealogy community, to say the least.

And there are going to be some serious lawsuits going forward.

With that said, 23andMe was always pretty open about the medical research stuff, so people shouldn't have been so surprised.

The testing isn't the product. The product is you.  The testing is just a service they provide to create the product. For the testing you are exchanging both cash and certain rights, to wit:

From Ancestry:

By submitting DNA to AncestryDNA, you grant AncestryDNA and the Ancestry Group Companies a perpetual, royalty-free, world-wide, transferable license to use your DNA, and any DNA you submit for any person from whom you obtained legal authorization as described in this Agreement, and to use, host, sublicense and distribute the resulting analysis to the extent and in the form or context we deem appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered. You hereby release AncestryDNA from any and all claims, liens, demands, actions or suits in connection with the DNA sample, the test or results thereof, including, without limitation, errors, omissions, claims for defamation, invasion of privacy, right of publicity, emotional distress or economic loss. This license continues even if you stop using the Website or the Service.

From 23 & Me:

Waiver of Property Rights: You understand that by providing any sample, having your Genetic Information processed, accessing your Genetic Information, or providing Self-Reported Information, you acquire no rights in any research or commercial products that may be developed by 23andMe or its collaborating partners. You specifically understand that you will not receive compensation for any research or commercial products that include or result from your Genetic Information or Self-Reported Information.

You understand that you should not expect any financial benefit from 23andMe as a result of having your Genetic Information processed; made available to you; or, as provided in our Privacy Statement and Terms of Service, shared with or included in Aggregated Genetic and Self-Reported Information shared with research partners, including commercial partners

I can't understand someone voluntarily submitting a DNA sample to a private company, surrendering all rights to use of said DNA and paying for the privilege only to get a generic background result in return.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The testing isn't the product. The product is you.  The testing is just a service they provide to create the product. For the testing you are exchanging both cash and certain rights, to wit:

From Ancestry:

By submitting DNA to AncestryDNA, you grant AncestryDNA and the Ancestry Group Companies a perpetual, royalty-free, world-wide, transferable license to use your DNA, and any DNA you submit for any person from whom you obtained legal authorization as described in this Agreement, and to use, host, sublicense and distribute the resulting analysis to the extent and in the form or context we deem appropriate on or through any media or medium and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed or discovered. You hereby release AncestryDNA from any and all claims, liens, demands, actions or suits in connection with the DNA sample, the test or results thereof, including, without limitation, errors, omissions, claims for defamation, invasion of privacy, right of publicity, emotional distress or economic loss. This license continues even if you stop using the Website or the Service.

From 23 & Me:

Waiver of Property Rights: You understand that by providing any sample, having your Genetic Information processed, accessing your Genetic Information, or providing Self-Reported Information, you acquire no rights in any research or commercial products that may be developed by 23andMe or its collaborating partners. You specifically understand that you will not receive compensation for any research or commercial products that include or result from your Genetic Information or Self-Reported Information.

You understand that you should not expect any financial benefit from 23andMe as a result of having your Genetic Information processed; made available to you; or, as provided in our Privacy Statement and Terms of Service, shared with or included in Aggregated Genetic and Self-Reported Information shared with research partners, including commercial partners

What could they possibly do with your DNA?

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s Parkinson’s research today, Health Insurance companies forecasting premiums on your kids tomorrow.

Wait until the insurance companies start gaining access to your credit card statements. They'll know your eating, drinking and grocery store purchasing habits-- whether you're a member of a gym, if you buy tobacco at the 7-11-- the works. 

34 minutes ago, Clob94 said:

Wait until the insurance companies start gaining access to your credit card statements. They'll know your eating, drinking and grocery store purchasing habits-- whether you're a member of a gym, if you buy tobacco at the 7-11-- the works. 

It's already modeled. They don't need your credit card statements. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RPM said:

I can't understand someone voluntarily submitting a DNA sample to a private company, surrendering all rights to use of said DNA and paying for the privilege only to get a generic background result in return.

for 2$ i couldve told them their ancestors came from africa

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

It's already modeled. They don't need your credit card statements. 

I thought it was this as well. They already have their numbers based on much larger studies and apply that to the population as a whole when they determine rates. Seems to be more accurate over the long haul rather than trying to tie an individual premium rate to each covered person.

i go out of my way to hide my tracks.

pay for most stuff in cash.  nothing official on the internet.  use encryption emailing.  don't even own a phone.  my tv is so dumb it doesn't exist and hasn't for some number of years.  i haven't watched tv regularly since saturday night was bob newhart followed by mary tyler moore followed by carol burnett (born in texas, i wonder if she is a descendant of burk burnett).

couple years ago enforced my intent to abandon credit card use by shredding my card and dropping my allowable to $150, but a recent move pretty much forced me to get a new one.  there are things you just can't do these days without one.  so that phone call (at a branch of my bank, thank you) to the credit agency was an interesting one.  i've apparently been on some sort of mystery list.  (realize that when i was a roadie in the world of aerospace design, i used my c-card so much that my monthly payment was often well up in the thousands (especially when it covered extended stay in bethpage ny where the weekly rent was 700 smackeroos).)  i had to answer a bunch of questions to get them to raise the allowable.  guess that was my payback for hiding much of my life from them.  bill whatsit was right.  advertisers and money people should kill themselves and today is not too soon.

23 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The best music video/shoe marketing idea ever.
Prepare to have this bass line in your head for the rest of the weekend, motherfucker.

The artist is giving cues to the uninformed that we already are transitioning into an environment of "Big Data"...

Many surveillance apparatuses will be portrayed as "Health & Comfort" conveniences that we can't do without, (but we can, as mankind has lives without such for millions of years)...

On 7/26/2018 at 2:56 PM, atomheartbevo said:

This, plus the cops worming their way into the genealogy DNA stuff, has stirred up a hornet's nest among the genealogy community, to say the least.

And there are going to be some serious lawsuits going forward.

With that said, 23andMe was always pretty open about the medical research stuff, so people shouldn't have been so surprised.

In their commercials I haven't seem them mention anything about selling the info to pharma companies, only that I can see my ancestry and have fun traveling the world meeting my new cousins.   I would guess that the majority of people opting in, either do not understand what they're opting in for, and they almost assuredly don't realize that 23andMe just sold it for $300M.    And even 23andMe states that opting-out doesn't prevent them from sharing the data with their partners.  You're just made semi-anonymous, which marketers and researchers are still free to attempt to determine who you are.  When you take their test, they own your DNA profile not you.   And as always law enforcement only needs a warrant to discover your name.

I applaud 23 and me.  They are convincing people to pay 23andMe a fee to collect their DNA, and then 23andMe sells that info and does not compensate the original person.   What a great business model.

Personally I wouldn't take the 23andMe test if someone offered me $100.  for a $1000 or $10,000 I might consider it.   I think anyone that willingly gives away their DNA, which is tied to medical history, is a fool.   All for the game of understanding where your ancestors came from, which for many can be discovered for free.  If grandma handed me a 23andMe kit as a present, I would thank her and toss it in the trash when she turns away.  Later I would tell her my results are whatever she said her results are.  

• 2 years later...

60 Minutes had a segment on this topic last night. The full piece is at this link:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/at-home-genealogy-testing-risks-60-minutes-2021-01-31/

The 60 Minutes Overtime piece from Youtube is here:

Edit to add - The same episode had quite a bit of discussion regarding Chinese collection of American DNA and mentioned that many of these American companies have Chinese investors. Pretty concerning where this is headed.

Edited by wild_turkey

60 Minutes had a segment on this topic last night. The full piece is at this link:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/at-home-genealogy-testing-risks-60-minutes-2021-01-31/
The 60 Minutes Overtime piece from Youtube is here:

Edit to add - The same episode had quite a bit of discussion regarding Chinese collection of American DNA and mentioned that many of these American companies have Chinese investors. Pretty concerning where this is headed.

Call of duty plot...