Phoenix, AZ

youdunnf'dup

I made a lot of bad decisions in my life. I can say that this was honestly the best decision I ever made. I love it here.  some of the worst drivers I’ve ever seen in my life but that’s OK. The rest of it is incredible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

I made a lot of bad decisions in my life. I can say that this was honestly the best decision I ever made. I love it here.  some of the worst drivers I’ve ever seen in my life but that’s OK. The rest of it is incredible.

I’ll check in with you September 1st.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

The drivers get better as it heats up and all the goddamn snowbirds go home already!!!!!

The phenomenon of slowing down to 45 in a 70 just for fun. I think it’s people doing bits, which I love, but Jesus Christ.  It’s all day. 5am driving to work. 6pm driving home. Granted I’m south and in Tempe a lot but it’s not better in Mesa and Scottsdale. I don’t get it. But I absolutely love everything else. Don’t tell anyone how cool this is. 

11 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

I’ll check in with you September 1st.  

About that.....

We know some people that live in Scottsdale.  They said the summer really isn't that bad.  Wake up early, do whatever, nap in the afternoon, and then go back out at night.  (They're 55 and retired so there's that.)  

How true is that?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

About that.....

We know some people that live in Scottsdale.  They said the summer really isn't that bad.  Wake up early, do whatever, nap in the afternoon, and then go back out at night.  (They're 55 and retired so there's that.)  

How true is that?

The monotony wears on you after three months of stifling heat. It’s the same day after day after day. I loved living in AZ and would move back (my wife might disagree), but I find the TX summers to be slightly less taxing since there’s a little bit of variety. That said, unless you’re in someplace like Montana or the PNW, summers at this point suck in the sunbelt.

58 minutes ago, royiv said:

The monotony wears on you after three months of stifling heat. It’s the same day after day after day. I loved living in AZ and would move back (my wife might disagree), but I find the TX summers to be slightly less taxing since there’s a little bit of variety. That said, unless you’re in someplace like Montana or the PNW, summers at this point suck in the sunbelt.

Texas has variety in the summer?  Are you talking about the two days where it might rain?

But yes, summers seem to suck everywhere now.

We’re thinking about going out there in the summer and staying at the JW Marriott or something on the summer rates and see how bad it is.

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Texas has variety in the summer?  Are you talking about the two days where it might rain?

But yes, summers seem to suck everywhere now.

We’re thinking about going out there in the summer and staying at the JW Marriott or something on the summer rates and see how bad it is.

At least the temperature varies a little here and there in TX. I’m not saying it’s great, because it most definitely sucks, but there’s a smidge of variety.

Which JW Marriott? Desert Ridge or Camelback Inn? I ask because Desert Ridge has a big water park and can be overrun with kids. Cool if you have kids, but not so cool if you don’t.

Also, small warning, summer rates at the resorts can have a side effect of bringing out a different clientele than you see during the season. The wife and I were at the Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain one summer 5-6 years ago sitting by the pool when a group rolled in a cooler full of glass bottles and a boombox. The GM admitted to me that they had overshot the discounts that summer and lo and behold the next summer the rates were substantially higher.

When we lived in Mesa we loved the summer golf rates that kick in after noon. Play some great courses for $20 or less. Blazing hot for sure, but just drink plenty of water. And then come home and jump in the pool. I loved living there, but then again I love hot weather, and I'm always done with cold winters after Christmas. Sadly, that doesn't happen where I currently live. 

5 hours ago, royiv said:

At least the temperature varies a little here and there in TX. I’m not saying it’s great, because it most definitely sucks, but there’s a smidge of variety.

Which JW Marriott? Desert Ridge or Camelback Inn? I ask because Desert Ridge has a big water park and can be overrun with kids. Cool if you have kids, but not so cool if you don’t.

Also, small warning, summer rates at the resorts can have a side effect of bringing out a different clientele than you see during the season. The wife and I were at the Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain one summer 5-6 years ago sitting by the pool when a group rolled in a cooler full of glass bottles and a boombox. The GM admitted to me that they had overshot the discounts that summer and lo and behold the next summer the rates were substantially higher.

JW at Camelback.  Did not think about lower rates and the riff raff.  Saw some rates there for $300/night in July.  I wonder if that would still weed them out?

47 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

JW at Camelback.  Did not think about lower rates and the riff raff.  Saw some rates there for $300/night in July.  I wonder if that would still weed them out?

Camelback is much more low key. You should be good. Book a spa service early in the day and you can use the spa pool and facilities all day. Their spa is great.

13 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

About that.....

How true is that?

I grew up in Victoria halfway between corpus and Houston. The summer here is nothing to worry about. Just get a straw hat, drink at the pool and go out at night.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

I grew up in Victoria halfway between corpus and Houston. The summer here is nothing to worry about. Just get a straw hat, drink at the pool and go out at night.

This is what I tell every single f’ing person that tells me about the heat.  Go spend some time in Houston. I’ll take the constant blow dryer over going outside and shirt cling to you every day. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/5/2024 at 3:27 AM, Aqua Buddha said:

About that.....

How true is that?

Kinda true for mornings. June is great because the sun comes up out here by 5:15, so you can workout, hike or do whatever early and it’s not too bad. I know guys that will have played 18 holes by 9:30. With that said, the summer sucks and there’s no way around it. My biggest issue with it is actually nights. Days are consistently 108-115.  That wears on you but whatever. The thing is, the temp is still like 98 and will feel like over 100 at 9:00 or 10:00 pm.  So you don’t get a break from the heat when the sun goes down. That’s what I really hate. And nights don’t cool into the 70’s until around Halloween.  

We’ve been here 9 years.  It’s not a bad place to live. If anything it’s kind of an easy place to live. I don’t love it and want to get back to Texas, but there are a lot worse places. I will say that you’ll never see a more beautiful sunrise or sunset than in AZ. 

NOMAAA isn’t wrong about the drivers. 

Edited by field
Typos

1 minute ago, field said:

I will say that you’ll never see a more beautiful sunrise or sunset than in AZ. 

Absolutely true. They are spectacular. The temps do stay high at night, but without the blazing sun I never felt it was that bad. But I always prefer hotter temps. The weirdest thing I've ever experienced, living in AZ, was getting out of the pool in 100+ weather and getting chill bumps. It's so dry that evaporation works quickly and you get chills. 

• Like 1