The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

Great day today.  Did the solo.  Did the 3 landings with no issues.  Man, that thing hauls ass with no one else in there.   And I learned to have to pull out the power a little earlier because i floated a bunch on the first landing.  I was expecting it, but was like, when will it descend.  What a day.  Will remember it for a long time.  Glad to get to move on to the next step.
Nice job. Without scrolling way up, what were you flying to have a signafic weight change? 150 or a p28?

On my takeoff for solo, I literally said LEEREEROOOOOYYYYY JEEENNNNNKKKKINS. I am not kidding, and that's on my grandmother's grave.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Nice.  All I said to myself was "Let's rock."

Just a Cessna 172.  It probably felt faster than it really was.  The extra bit of floating was noticeable but I compensated with more flare by the last one.  Just an adjustment.

I did all my private stuff in a 152, and still remember feeling like I was hauling a$$ doing 120kts when I bumped up to a 172 for instrument work. 

Congrats. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

18 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Maybe we can help. Very resourceful folks on here, and airplanes aren't exactly private with all the websites.

Year, make, model? Also, do you have your original logs slappy?

Was just looking for my old log book without much success.  It was a Cessna 172 (browns over white), based out of West Houston Airport as a rental around 1988--1999.  That's all I've got at the moment.  Probably 1970s model.  Most of them seemed to be back then.  Always my favorite draw of the bunch back then. 

Edited by dcbc

37 minutes ago, Assman said:

I would like to announce to the Surly aviation nerds that I have accepted a job offer from SWA.  I'll still be flying the Herk part time as a Reservist.  Good bye and good luck.

Congratulations!

The hazardous Herc flying experience should help with the 737 Max gigs. 😉

I do believe I see Roosevelt’s & Truman’s Sacred Cow Douglas C-54 in that tail view. On TOS I posted a couple of blurry pics of it when we got to go on board for a private tour when it was in Puerto Rico in the early 1950s. Included one pic of me sitting in the President’s seat.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

I do believe I see Roosevelt’s & Truman’s Sacred Cow Douglas C-54 in that tail view. On TOS I posted a couple of blurry pics of it when we got to go on board for a private tour when it was in Puerto Rico in the early 1950s. Included one pic of me sitting in the President’s seat.

They don’t let you sit there anymore. But I bet they’d like to see your pic.

XB-70, B1, B-36 and a 707 in one building or several?  

XB-70 and VC-135 in one hangar with plenty of room to spare.

B1 and B-36 are in another.

NMUSAF has four gigantic hangars. These pics are just a small sample of everything they have. It’s the best aviation museum there is outside of the NASM. You could literally spend a couple days there, easy.

I'll have to check it out if I ever get back to Dayton.  Bunch of bucket list planes in that building.  I was surprised to see a B2 sitting in there.

If you have even a passing interest in aviation, it’s a must. I’ve been a few times and I always find something new and interesting I’ve overlooked before.

Btw, most of the stuff that represents active AF inventory (C-17, V-22, F-22, B-2, etc) are early test articles. The B-2 they did heat/cold tests on and I think it’s pretty much an empty shell.

From the Startle-gram yesterday... 

A McKinney, Texas, teenager died after a plane he was believed to be piloting crashed in Arkansas, according to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies say they received a 911 call around 8:43 p.m. Monday from a resident who reportedly saw the plane crash near Cove Creek South Road, deputies said. 

First responders went to the area where the plane reportedly crashed and began to search for it.

“The plane was located by a deputy at 11:13 p.m.,” according to the department.

“The single-engine, fixed-wing 1966 Cessna 150G was registered to Wingnut Enterprises LLC out of Allen, Texas, according to a preliminary report from the Federal Aviation Administration,” KFM5 reported. “The two-seater plane had only one occupant at the time of the crash, the report said.”

The Arkansas State Medical Examiner’s Office will confirm identification, and next of kin has been notified, the Sheriff’s Office said.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the crash.

17-year old kid. 

Terrible.  Wings of Victory Tour comes to Dallas every year, and every year Chad Jr. and I crawl through her.   

B-17 will likely be rebuilt (like they're doing with Liberty Belle that all but burned up a few years ago).  But what a sad loss of life.  This is a tragedy.