The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

That depends on what you call stunt flying. Landing on 22 at LGA with winds 12022G36 in +RA with 2 sm vis could be considered stunt flying. 

I land in those conditions quite often. Not a big deal. But I shoot my approach inverted LIKE A FUCKING BOSS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That depends on what you call stunt flying. Landing on 22 at LGA with winds 12022G36 in +RA with 2 sm vis could be considered stunt flying. 

I land in those conditions quite often. Not a big deal. But I shoot my approach inverted LIKE A FUCKING BOSS.

27 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

LM8, if you have a long sit at IAD there’s a shuttle bus that runs from the terminal to Udvar-Hazy and back. They have lockers there for your luggage too. I agree, the place is awesome. 

Last time I was there (about three years ago), they had cut out that IAD to UH shuttle.  Perhaps they've restarted it.  

In any case, if you don't have the time to do the whole thing, what's most interesting to you?

There are many, many unique planes there.  The ones that probably most stand out to me are the WWI planes - especially the Caudron which is in original condition, and the WWII war prizes - Japanese and German aircraft that just don't exist anywhere else outside of dusty old books.  Just over the last couple weeks they've rejoined the He 219's wings and fuselage.  Pretty sure those haven't been together since WWII.  The Enola Gay, of course, but also the P-61 and P-38 which are complete time capsules.  Nothing much has been done to them but dusting them off since the 40s.  

But seriously, that leaves out about 3/4 of what's there and all of it is noteworthy in some way or another or it wouldn't be there.  Golden Age and post war racers.  Space race.  Commercial aviation milestones.  On and on.  Whatever your flavor, they have it.

Watching Smithsonian channel right now on the Airbus A380 plane. Its passenger interior is 6000 square feet and the wings have a total of 9000 square feet. It burns 9 gallons per mile and holds 81,000 gallons of fuel. With current Jet-A fuel prices that is just over a quarter million to "fill 'er up". Wowowowza.

9 gallons per mile in perspective....maybe like a 3 inch pipe at 60 psi? Just crazy.

Accident: Kalitta Charters B722 at Tuscaloosa on Jan 28th 2019, nose gear collapse on landing

By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Jan 29th 2019 16:48Z, last updated Wednesday, Nov 6th 2019 23:08Z

A Kalitta Charters Boeing 727-200 freighter, registration N720CK performing flight K9-720 from Laredo,TX to Tuscaloosa,AL (USA) with 4 crew, landed on Tuscaloosa's runway 04 at 20:03L (02:03Z Jan 29th) when the nose gear collapsed causing the aircraft to become disabled on the runway resting on its main gear and the nose. There were no injuries.

There are reports around on social media identifying N724CK, which performed the earlier flight K9-724 from Laredo to Tuscaloosa landing at 19:05L (01:05Z Jan 29th) on runway 04 as the accident aircraft (which however would have prevented the later flight to land).

On Nov 6th 2019 the NTSB released their preliminary report stating that the winds were coming from 200 degrees at 4 knots, the crew opted to land on runway 04. The NTSB described the sequence of events:

According to the flight crew, about 12 miles from the airport the captain (60, ATPL, 23,700 hours total, 6,800 hours on type) called for flaps 15 and gear down. After the gear was selected down, the CVR recorded the first officer (46, ATPL, 1,850 hours total, 105 hours on type) stating, "yeah it's down, but [unintelligble] the lights [unintelligble]"

The crew reported that they noted a red warning light for the nose gear position, and heard the audible gear warning horn. The CVR recorded the captain queried, "what horn was that?" and the first officer (FO) responded, "[unintelligible] gear warning horn."

The flight engineer (FE) stated that he recommended that they recycle the gear, the captain declined. The FO stated that he recommended that they go around to troubleshoot, the captain declined. The CVR recorded multiple automated "sink rate, pull up" warnings and the captain responded, "yeah, yeah, I got it." The FO then queried, "you gonna go around?", and the captain responded, "ah I'm gonna go… I got, it, I got it."

The captain reportedly stated that the airplane had a history of a microswitch issue, and pressed on the gear handle and light. As the power was reduced to idle, the gear warning horn and the GPWS audible alerts sounded. The captain stated in an interview that he asked for the gear to be recycled, and also that he smelled smoke and did not want to delay. Neither the FO, FE, or non-revenue mechanic, reported these items, nor were any of these items audible on the CVR.

The captain continued the approach and after landing, upon derotation, the forward fuselage contacted the runway and the airplane quickly slid to a stop with the nose gear retracted. After the airplane came to a stop, the captain stated, "it wasn't down," and the FO made a radio call to tower. About five seconds later the FO stated, "shoulda gone around," and the captain responded, "yeah, shoulda."

Related NOTAMs:
TCL 01/031 TCL RWY 04/22 CLSD 1901290342-1901300330
!TCL 09/030 TCL RWY 04 ALS OUT OF SERVICE 1809201829-1901312000EST
!TCL 01/030 TCL AD AP CLSD 1901290240-1901300240

No weather data are available for Tuscaloosa.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/KFS720/history/20190128/2330Z/KLRD/KTCL

14 hours ago, markstanco said:

Watching Smithsonian channel right now on the Airbus A380 plane. Its passenger interior is 6000 square feet and the wings have a total of 9000 square feet. It burns 9 gallons per mile and holds 81,000 gallons of fuel. With current Jet-A fuel prices that is just over a quarter million to "fill 'er up". Wowowowza.

9 gallons per mile in perspective....maybe like a 3 inch pipe at 60 psi? Just crazy.

To put that in perspective an A321 with a set of V2500's burns 15 gallons per minute.  Or 1.73 gallons per mile. With the newer geared turbofans that same plane is burning something like 12-13 gallons per minute.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

American Eagle has had two incidents in two days. Nearly stalled a 175 Sunday when they couldn't get it out of take off trim, eventually returning to the departure airport. Yesterday they had a 145 slide off the runway at ORD. 

American Eagle isn't an airline (anymore), it's a brand. The 175 was operated by Republic Airways, and it was a pitch trim runaway, meaning the plane pitched up uncommanded and couldn't immediately be arrested. It's a scary situation, and the crew did a great job of preventing a disaster. They circled back around and landed in Atlanta.

The same thing happened to the plane during a maintenance flight a couple of days later in Indy. 

The 145 off the runway in ORD was operated by Piedmont.

American Eagle isn't an airline (anymore), it's a brand. The 175 was operated by Republic Airways, and it was a pitch trim runaway, meaning the plane pitched up uncommanded and couldn't immediately be arrested. It's a scary situation, and the crew did a great job of preventing a disaster. They circled back around and landed in Atlanta.
The same thing happened to the plane during a maintenance flight a couple of days later in Indy. 
The 145 off the runway in ORD was operated by Piedmont.
How does a pitch trim runaway happen?

Debated whether to share this here or in the "Interesting Youtube channels" thread, but here seemed the best fit as it is heavily focused on (vintage) aircraft design and engineering.

As far as I can tell, the content producer is a wonk from Oklahoma with a pilot's license and a penchant for racing and flying who now lives in (or regularly visits) Germany. Strongly recommend any of his aviation-oriented videos**, they are great listens.

** His Wright Bros. video was my first choice but YouTube would not embed for whatever reason.

Stepped outside at work just as a civilian F-18 (?) buzzed us. Wish I could have grabbed a pic but it was over way too fast. Apparently Ross Perot, Jr is throwing a party at Circle T Ranch tonight and wanted to impress his guests. That fucker had on afterburners and was LOUD! Couldn't have been 200' agl. Didn't think that was legal.

Edited by RPM

Stepped outside at work just as a civilian F-18 (?) buzzed us. Wish I could have grabbed a pic but it was over way too fast. Apparently Ross Perot, Jr is throwing a party at Circle T Ranch tonight and wanted to impress his guests. That fucker had on afterburners and was LOUD! Couldn't have been 200' agl. Didn't think that was legal.

Ross Perot Jr. owned a T-38 in Thunderbirds livery at one time. It lived up at Alliance. It was at the Alliance air show this year. I would suspect that was it.

I was up at my Dad's in Tyler this weekend and he was reading the paper Saturday and said there was a small plane crash and the pilot parachuted out of the plane.  I'm like WTF and look at the article..

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/update-injured-in-a-plane-crash-in-lindale-plane-was/article_6ede2b14-0d61-11ea-ae77-970f3266619c.html

5dd8719ab6a5a.image.jpg?resize=1200,1469

He parachuted the plane itself, not out of it. Cirrus have a shute installed that can be deployed. One deployment totals the whole airplane but hey... it can be handy. I remember when those first came out 20 years ago or so, there were mixed opinions on it.  People were worried it would be deployed in situations where you’d be safer just gliding it in to the nearest open field.  I haven’t heard of any other deployments but I bet there’s been a few. 

I think Boeing is done on their end and the team of NASA, USAF, test pilots, whateverthefucks, they had testing it has signed off on it.  The FAA is handling the certification 100% on their own and it’s just going to take them awhile.  Fine toothed comb and all. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re taking it slower than necessary just to not appear to be rushing it.  Even once they certify it it’ll still be a few more months while they certify the training programs at each airline for it and for that training to get completed.  I think most airlines are cautiously hoping for a December certification and a March rollout. 

On 11/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, Your Mom said:

I haven’t heard of any other deployments but I bet there’s been a few. 

Some guy on the board of directors at wal mart did a few years ago, and my FIRST instructor did it in TXK.

https://www.ksla.com/story/23168241/single-engine-plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-texarkana/

I fired him after that, he ran the tanks dry. Still holds the Cirrus record for lowest AGL deployment.  

On 11/13/2019 at 12:36 PM, Lat22 said:

Just to follow up on this, we (Republic crew) have been notified what happened with this, and it was a one-off thing that was a seemingly benign issue that had a weird snowball effect. It was an easy fix, and the aircraft is back in service.

I'm not trying to be cryptic with it, but since the information hasn't been made public, I don't think it's appropriate for me to go into more details. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to put any one of my family members aboard one of our 170/175s or anyone else's.

• Like 1

3 killed in SA Sunday night, pilot was a 38-year old with Austin ties. 

Authorities on Wednesday said Maureen Garrow, a 71-year-old flight instructor from Spring, was the third victim of Sunday’s crash of a private plane that was trying to make an emergency landing at San Antonio International Airport.

Also killed was the pilot, Robert Tyson “Ty” Womble, 38, a civil engineer and principal in two Austin-based financial firms, and University of Texas at San Antonio senior Eric Naranjo, 22, of Sugar Land, a finance major and intern in one of Womble’s companies.

The plane was on its way to Boerne from the Houston area after a stop at Sugar Land when Womble told air traffic controllers the Piper Comanche’s engine had failed.

Experts said the plane should have been capable of gliding to a landing without power and Womble calmly requested two runways in quick succession that he would attempt to land on after circling, audio of the conversation posted online indicates.

But instead, the plane plummeted, hitting a sidewalk and part of the 600 block of West Rhapsody near warehouses and small businesses not far from a residential area.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.

Naranjo was president of the UTSA table tennis club and “gave me a strong sense of community the first time I'd met him,” Brian Tomlin, 21, a UTSA senior studying electrical engineering, said in an email. “I loved being around his gung-ho attitude, and his ability to make everyone feel included and welcomed.”

Garrow previously had been an instructor at United Flight Systems at the David Wayne Hooks Memorial Airport in Spring.

In February, she had attained her second master flight instructor accreditation from the National Association of Flight Instructors. Garrow received her initial flight training in 1995 as a Christmas gift, according to a story posted on the association’s website.

She and her husband were driving past the Hooks Memorial Airport near Houston that year in a convertible with the top down when a plane passed so low that their Siberian Husky fell to the floor and covered its head, the story said. Laughing, Garrow turned to her husband and said, “I have always wanted to fly,” prompting the gift of flight lessons.

“Any day I can fly is a good day and any day teaching is a great day,” Garrow said in the article. “I hope to continue instructing and being a mentor for years to come.”

A woman answering the phone Wednesday at the flight school declined comment on her death.

gallery-large.jpg

gallery-large.jpg

3 killed in SA Sunday night, pilot was a 38-year old with Austin ties. 
Authorities on Wednesday said Maureen Garrow, a 71-year-old flight instructor from Spring, was the third victim of Sunday’s crash of a private plane that was trying to make an emergency landing at San Antonio International Airport.
Also killed was the pilot, Robert Tyson “Ty” Womble, 38, a civil engineer and principal in two Austin-based financial firms, and University of Texas at San Antonio senior Eric Naranjo, 22, of Sugar Land, a finance major and intern in one of Womble’s companies.
The plane was on its way to Boerne from the Houston area after a stop at Sugar Land when Womble told air traffic controllers the Piper Comanche’s engine had failed.
Experts said the plane should have been capable of gliding to a landing without power and Womble calmly requested two runways in quick succession that he would attempt to land on after circling, audio of the conversation posted online indicates.
But instead, the plane plummeted, hitting a sidewalk and part of the 600 block of West Rhapsody near warehouses and small businesses not far from a residential area.
The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.
Naranjo was president of the UTSA table tennis club and “gave me a strong sense of community the first time I'd met him,” Brian Tomlin, 21, a UTSA senior studying electrical engineering, said in an email. “I loved being around his gung-ho attitude, and his ability to make everyone feel included and welcomed.”
Garrow previously had been an instructor at United Flight Systems at the David Wayne Hooks Memorial Airport in Spring.
In February, she had attained her second master flight instructor accreditation from the National Association of Flight Instructors. Garrow received her initial flight training in 1995 as a Christmas gift, according to a story posted on the association’s website.
She and her husband were driving past the Hooks Memorial Airport near Houston that year in a convertible with the top down when a plane passed so low that their Siberian Husky fell to the floor and covered its head, the story said. Laughing, Garrow turned to her husband and said, “I have always wanted to fly,” prompting the gift of flight lessons.
“Any day I can fly is a good day and any day teaching is a great day,” Garrow said in the article. “I hope to continue instructing and being a mentor for years to come.”
A woman answering the phone Wednesday at the flight school declined comment on her death.

gallery-large.jpg
gallery-large.jpg

What an odd crash. Circling to lose altitude and they die. Sounds like something else went wrong.

In a 182/172 my old instructor showed how to pull power just past midfield on the downwind and treat the plane as if no engine. I will still use some in windy conditions but it is better than relying on needing 1400 rpms when you dont have it.

There's a pretty clear video on Kathryn's Report.  Looks like he stalled it.  Looks just like the Cirrus crash at Hobby a few years ago. And no fire.  I hope the engine failure wasn't caused by fuel exhaustion.

Edited by Lat22