The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

Three American crew members died Thursday when a C-130 Hercules aerial water tanker crashed while battling wildfires in southeastern Australia, officials said.

New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian confirmed the crash deaths in the state's Snowy Monaro region as Australia attempts to deal with an unprecedented fire season that has left a large swath of destruction.

Coulson Aviation in the U.S. state of Oregon said in a statement that one of its Lockheed large air tankers was lost after it left Richmond in New South Wales with retardant for a firebombing mission. It said the accident was “extensive" but had few other details.

“The only thing I have from the field reports are that the plane came down, it's crashed and there was a large fireball associated with that crash,” said Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons.

He said all three aboard were U.S. residents.

“Unfortunately, all we've been able to do is locate the wreckage and the crash site and we have not been able to locate any survivors,” he said.

The tragedy brings the death toll from the blazes to at least 31 since September. The fires have also destroyed more than 2,600 homes and razed more than 10.4 million hectares (25.7 million acres), an area bigger than the U.S. state of Indiana.

Coulson grounded other firefighting aircraft as a precaution pending investigation, reducing planes available to firefighters in New South Wales and neighboring Victoria state. The four-propeller Hercules drops more than 15,000 liters (4,000 gallons) of fire retardant in a single pass.

Australian Transport Safety Bureau, the national air crash investigator, and state police will investigate the crash site, which firefighters described as an active fire ground.

“There is no indication at this stage of what's caused the accident,” Fitzsimmons said.

https://news.yahoo.com/wildfires-close-australias-canberra-airport-034428172.html

Edited by ss13

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

Hoping the 9X gets off the ground today.  Live stream link, holding short

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t7L6p2Rug

I get Bernoulli's principle, but the little kid in me will never think it is anything less than magic we can get something like that in the air.

Dumb question amnesty...do the foldable winglets allow for shorter take off on the ground and then better efficiency once up in the air?

5 hours ago, pops said:

I get Bernoulli's principle, but the little kid in me will never think it is anything less than magic we can get something like that in the air.

Dumb question amnesty...do the foldable winglets allow for shorter take off on the ground and then better efficiency once up in the air?

They allow it to fit into existing gate spaces. 

• Like 1

Sad day in aviation.

From what I have read, heavy fog, the helicopter hit terrain.

Flying in a really safe Sikorsky S-76B, per reading. It's not like this type of craft is using a six pack, so this is weird. I bet there is $250k of avionics on the firewall for this ten million plus piece of equipment.

NTSB report cant come out fast enough.

The first audio recording is https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kbur/KBUR3-Gnd-Twr-App-Jan-26-2020-1700Z.mp3 starting around 20 min into recording. They were approaching the Burbank class Charlie, and BUR went IFR. Controller told them to remain clear class charlie, say intentions. Pilot said they wanted to transition SVFR. They end up holding for 15 mins before cleared SVFR to transition north via I5, 118, 101 west. Then handed off to VNY helo frequency: https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kvny/KVNY-Ground-Jan-26-2020-1730Z.mp3 starting at around 5:30. At around 10:00 pilot requests turn to southwest, controller grants request and sends him to SoCal approach: https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kbur/KBUR3-Gnd-Twr-App-Jan-26-2020-1730Z.mp3 He checks on at around 14:00 in the recording. 2EX cannot be heard, but controller tells him they are too low for flight following. It seems radio contact is lost at that point.

Dark mode can’t read that. 

The first audio recording is https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kbur/KBUR3-Gnd-Twr-App-Jan-26-2020-1700Z.mp3 starting around 20 min into recording. They were approaching the Burbank class Charlie, and BUR went IFR. Controller told them to remain clear class charlie, say intentions. Pilot said they wanted to transition SVFR. They end up holding for 15 mins before cleared SVFR to transition north via I5, 118, 101 west. Then handed off to VNY helo frequency: https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kvny/KVNY-Ground-Jan-26-2020-1730Z.mp3 starting at around 5:30. At around 10:00 pilot requests turn to southwest, controller grants request and sends him to SoCal approach: https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kbur/KBUR3-Gnd-Twr-App-Jan-26-2020-1730Z.mp3 He checks on at around 14:00 in the recording. 2EX cannot be heard, but controller tells him they are too low for flight following. It seems radio contact is lost at that point.

Sad day in aviation.

From what I have read, heavy fog, the helicopter hit terrain.

Flying in a really safe Sikorsky S-76B, per reading. It's not like this type of craft is using a six pack, so this is weird. I bet there is $250k of avionics on the firewall for this ten million plus piece of equipment.

NTSB report cant come out fast enough.

Other thread said charter Co bought it for $500k. We're they really 10MM new?

I could see that being a high pressure situation to accomplish the mission and gradually get yourself into a bad spot one small decision at a time.  VFR gets us there quicker... weather getting lower... Special VFR.. yeah we can do that I’m instrument rated anyway if we need to go IFR later... Yeah I can hold a few minutes longer... maybe I should just get the IFR clearance now and climb up in to this... LA approach is crazy busy... can’t get a word in... probably gonna lose this job if we’re late to the game... I know where I am... taking too long to get the clearance, just follow the 101... 

I have no idea if that’s what happened but plenty of my bad decisions have originated with a case of get-there-itis. Sometimes when the pressure is on and time is tight it’s tough to do the right thing and slow down and be ok with disappointing the customer. 

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I wonder if he ever met my dad’s best friend & classmate at Mizzou who flew C-109s and C-54s over The Hump in the CBI Theatre.

Google up Paul C. Schaefer “find a grave” obituary.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I need your advice.  I had to suspend my flight training with my CFI back in early December due to a promotion and relocation.  I had about $3,700 remaining in my account with my CFI.  I met all the criteria to be refunded this amount per his policies and requested as such.  He informed me that he would, but would have to be in installments as he had recently put some money into the airplane.  I said that would not be a problem.  I contacted him in early January after not receiving any of the refund yet.  He said he was prepared to send me the first installment in a couple weeks.  I contacted him again earlier this month as I still had not received anything.  As of 2/21, still nothing.

I want to know, in your opinion, what my best recourse would be?  Should I file a complaint with the FAA?  Seek legal assistance?  Unfortunately, this has left a bad taste in my mouth and am now disappointed in the time and money already spent on my training with him.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

19 hours ago, markstanco said:

Just received our O-320 Lycoming for our students today in the club for 74J in the 172.

Also, and I am JACKED about this, we brought in an ercoupe to fly today as well. Looking forward to flying that old bird.

I've always wondered how that thing flies without rudder pedals. I'd be antsy

I've always wondered how that thing flies without rudder pedals. I'd be antsy
We used to have a Remos plane, I learned in it after we got rid of our 152. Weighed 670ish pounds, carbon fiber and aluminum.

My instructor used to grab the bars above his head that controlled to ailerons (detachable wings) and tell me to land with rudders only.

This CSB story brought to you by stanco.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Cool story.

So This 64 Year Old Cargo Plane Keeps Flying Over My House…

n371fl-ifl-group-convair-cv-5800_Planesp

…there’s no punchline, I would just love to know more about it.

The 64 year old Convair CV-5800 from Honduras
At least a couple of times per week I notice a Convair CV-5800 operated by IFL Group approaching Miami from San Pedro Sula, Honduras. There are two things that make this interesting:

You don’t see a whole lot of Convair planes flying nowadays
I don’t know how to describe it, but the plane approaches Miami with a ridiculous trail of smoke behind it… at first I wonder if the plane is okay, but then I’m reminded of which plane it is
Anyway, after seeing the approach yesterday, I did some digging. The IFL Cargo Convair CV-5800 had the registration code N371FL. After Googling the registration, I found out the plane was actually built in 1956. OMFG.

The most common route for the plane seems to be Miami to Guatemala City to San Pedro Sula to Miami, though there are some other “triangle” flights as well, like Miami to Merida to Cancun to Miami.

• Like 2

Convair made thousands of those twin engine planes in the 1950s. TTA - predecessor to SWA - flew them all over the State. In the mid 1960s I saw one approaching so low over I-35 to land at old Mueller Airport that the pilot had to pull back on the yoke sharply to avoid hitting the highway light poles. I flew in one to Dallas in 1960. They were pretty noisy inside.

The Convair family crash record is really long all over the world - google that extensive list.

Lyndon Johnson owned a CV240. It crashed in the Hill Country in 1961 on the way to pick up VP LBJ & Lady Bird at their ranch. Both pilots were killed in the dense fog when they couldn’t find the airstrip. 

In the "Boeing can't seem to find its' dick with both hands" category:

https://www.airforcemag.com/goldfein-usaf-wont-use-kc-46-unless-it-has-to/?fbclid=IwAR0HpNCNMA5PmdtaV-rHkYsuf7R4zBKf6e18YeaM-2M5Dtp3KLQgjQURW-k

Goldfein: USAF Won’t Use KC-46 Unless It Has To

While the problem stated within doesn't seem insurmountable, goddam man.  The 767 is not a new plane.  Itty bitty cameras have been fitted on my computer for 20 years now.  Why are the two not compatible at this price point?