The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

On 7/17/2020 at 7:05 PM, elfenix said:

This is expected, but still brings a tear to my eye. I've logged probably a million miles in seat 64K on a BA 744.

Plus there will never be a plane that compares to the Queen.

• Hook 'Em 1

747 is about the only airplane I geek out about. I almost took a job at Cathay Pacific years ago just for the chance to fly their cargo 74s. Glad I didn’t take it because the job would not have worked out well for me but I do regret never getting to fly it. 

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

747 is about the only airplane I geek out about. I almost took a job at Cathay Pacific years ago just for the chance to fly their cargo 74s. Glad I didn’t take it because the job would not have worked out well for me but I do regret never getting to fly it. 

Totally. A good friend was a DL captain  he almost did the last couple years in the 747 just to say he did. In the end he stay on 767s to Europe instead of doing Asian trips.

10 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Pay attention folks -- that's how to do a humblebrag.

Lol. Im not sure most would even recognize the reference.

i only sat up front in a 747 once and that was IAD to LHR (and back) so not much to see out the window.  united mounted a projector screen on the front bulkhead and showed, iirc, the hudsucker proxy. 

the other two trips i was in the back LAX to SIN, and LAX to TPE.

Edited by elfenix

I was an A&P at Northwest back in the day and spent plenty of time doing heavy checks on our 747s; including the cargo fleet with the nose doors. Later I was in line maintenance, and taxied a -400 to the gate one morning. I'll never forget it. Seemed like we got there twice as usual, I couldnt believe we were already there. /csb

My aviation days are way behind me, but I do live with a view of everything taking off out of SFO these days. I'll miss seeing the 747's rising as much as I already miss seeing the DC-10's, and the DC-8s I 1st cut my teeth on for that matter.

• Like 5

Sounds like getting the right type of fuel is kinda important

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2020/07/17/wrong-fuel-added-before-crash-of-alaska-forestry-plane-that-injured-pilot-and-3-firefighters-ntsb-says/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

The fuel vendor’s truck driver wasn’t familiar with the plane and had to ask the pilot for information, according to the NTSB report. Before he started refueling, the report states, the driver asked Jordan, “Do you want Prist with your Jet?” Prist is an additive used to prevent fuel from gelling in turbine engines that tend to fly at higher altitudes. “Jet” is Jet A fuel.

The Aero Commander 500 has engines powered by pistons, not turbines. The plane uses aviation gasoline, not Jet A fuel. A placard near the fuel port on top of the wing stated in part, “AVIATION GASOLINE ONLY,” the report says.

image.gif.378eeab8df23e640c5bcb0630941b056.gif

10 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I was an A&P at Northwest back in the day and spent plenty of time doing heavy checks on our 747s; including the cargo fleet with the nose doors. Later I was in line maintenance, and taxied a -400 to the gate one morning. I'll never forget it. Seemed like we got there twice as usual, I couldnt believe we were already there. /csb

My aviation days are way behind me, but I do live with a view of everything taking off out of SFO these days. I'll miss seeing the 747's rising as much as I already miss seeing the DC-10's, and the DC-8s I 1st cut my teeth on for that matter.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2020 at 1:04 PM, Homercles said:

Question for turbine pilots...landing recently on an E175, heard what sounded like ice flowing down towards the rear of the aircraft in the ventilation system.  It started on decent during what I assumed was flight idle and continued while taxiing.  

Would the ACM freeze up, maybe problem with the water separator?  I told an FA on the way out (no pilot to ask) as I was kinda wondering if that’d be an MEL issue due to moisture in there or just a nuisance?  Figured none of the flight crew would know about it and was trying to be a busy body aviation nerd.  

That's pretty normal. I fly the 175 and I've been snowed on both in the cockpit and as a passenger.

E-145 snowed a lot too.  At some point the ice in the system builds up enough to block some of the airflow and becomes counterproductive to cooling the cabin.  But when passengers are concerned about it snowing in the cabin it's fun to tell the rookie flight attendant to tell them it's a new seasonal service we offer.   

On 7/19/2020 at 7:39 AM, Chad Fuck said:

I am headed back to Pima Air Museum though. So put your pic requests in now. You’ll get them in about a month.

Thanks for that.  We have some rental properties in Tucson, heading there tomorrow - how I've never visited this museum after all these years is embarrassing.

Pics are yours, I'll just browse. 

12 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Thanks for that.  We have some rental properties in Tucson, heading there tomorrow - how I've never visited this museum after all these years is embarrassing.

Pics are yours, I'll just browse. 

I've been there several times over the years.  I think my last visit pics are in this thread (at least, I think I took them since TOS).  When I first visited as a kid, in the early 80s, it was essentially a big bone yard - minimal upkeep on the aircraft, minimal description, but some truly unique aircraft, etc.  In the last 20 years it's night and day.  A number of hangars, the planes are well maintained and they are constantly refreshing their fleet with new planes and restorations.  Whatever team they have assembled there is doing great work.  It's the finest collection I've seen outside of a national collection (I'm thinking NMUSAF and Smithsonian).  

Ran the wildlings past the USS Alabama on the way back from vacation. I haven’t been there years, and wondered how bad the damage was from Katrina. You can definitely see the dings and updated paint on numerous planes, and the air museum in Pensacola lent them numerous birds to round out their collection. Most notably a YF-17 sitting next to an F/A-18, and an F-14 Bombcat sitting outside. The highlight is still seeing an A-12 inside and the requisite J58 sitting next to it. 

They’ve  added  content and various aircraft, but you can see the park took a beating. The deck of the Alabama is in bad repair, and seeing an F-16, 15 and 14 beside a Seahawk on display makes me feel old. 

On 7/22/2020 at 8:25 AM, Chad Fuck said:

It's the finest collection I've seen outside of a national collection (I'm thinking NMUSAF and Smithsonian).  

Just got back and I have to wholeheartedly agree.  What an amazing collection.  I'm still shocked I hadn't heard about this museum until your post - it's a must visit IMO for everyone not just airplane fans.   I'm going to steal a little of your thunder and post a pic.IMG_6056.thumb.jpg.9a23b8b0cf6900b82094b67877744f46.jpg

So impressive to see in person. 'Murica!

Another cool thing:  as I walked around fighter jets from Luke were doing training maneuvers right above me. 

The B17 hangar was really well done, on par with any national museum.  The gun turrets were cool, but that underbelly one was wild.  I could just imagine the exchange between Captain and Gunner.

"Bobby I need you to curl up in a ball and get in that glass bubble that will be totally exposed to enemy gunfire."

"Why me all the time? Let Johnny do it this mission."

"You're 5'4" son, now get in there and shoot down some Krauts. And take a piss first."

IMG_6062.thumb.jpg.bc4c76c861f6286cd97b9c48fd300a6d.jpg

** Space Hangar was closed, bummer **

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

@Mach 1 that's great!  Post all the pics, man.  No skin off my nose.  There's always something cool to see there and even the old stuff is entertaining.  I could spend days there, no doubt.

Nah, I want you go in fresh.  I noticed a lot of "On Loan from .." signs so you should see a bunch of new stuff.

Also noticed a sign for the Titan Rocket museum nearby, but I was late for a meeting and had to pass.

Nah, I want you go in fresh.  I noticed a lot of "On Loan from .." signs so you should see a bunch of new stuff.
Also noticed a sign for the Titan Rocket museum nearby, but I was late for a meeting and had to pass.

“On loan” is Gov speak for “we’re gonna pro this right cher in the desert for good. We’re never asking for it back, but you should damn well know it’s still ours.”

Been awhile since I posted. Just did my first night landings with my instructor and had the first cross country scheduled for today to Pleasanton, but had to reschedule to tomorrow. Havent taken my written yet, but everywhere I check on the internet says to just practice the Sporty's practice questions. I have the Jeppesen study guide and am going to look at that as well. How long did most of you guys study for before taking the test?

41 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Been awhile since I posted. Just did my first night landings with my instructor and had the first cross country scheduled for today to Pleasanton, but had to reschedule to tomorrow. Havent taken my written yet, but everywhere I check on the internet says to just practice the Sporty's practice questions. I have the Jeppesen study guide and am going to look at that as well. How long did most of you guys study for before taking the test?

Use Dauntless for the Private. There's nothing better. Once (if) you move on to Instrument, Sheppard Air is the way to go.

Follow the study strategy. Remember, the written test is a hurdle to get past, and has almost no correlation with your overall level of knowledge. Trust your CFI on your actual level of knowledge. Just do whatever you need to do to get past the written. The path of least resistance is to use apps like Dauntless and Sheppard Air which have the question bank and just memorize it. I've used Sheppard Air for every test since Instrument, with the exception of Commercial. Guess which one I got below a 95% on...

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, milkman said:

I’ve been debating getting my private pilot license. Is this something remotely obtainable within a couple of months? I have a more than full time job but could manage a few hours a week. Thoughts....

It's doable in that timeframe if you dedicate more than a few hours a week, but even then it requires more luck. I'd plan on 6 months if you stay dedicated, flying 2-3 times a week. Too many variables like weather, plane availability, etc.

• Like 1

It's doable in that timeframe if you dedicate more than a few hours a week, but even then it requires more luck. I'd plan on 6 months if you stay dedicated, flying 2-3 times a week. Too many variables like weather, plane availability, etc.

By a couple of months I meant to say I was thinking around 6 months.

14 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

The ASA study guide I had for PPL had a few of the questions word for word on the test.  I studied a few hours a week for 3 weeks and made a 93 or 94. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, G650 said:

Yeah i had 1A on a CX 744 once. Was pretty fun heading into SFO getting to see the runway.

You know planes.  Have a chance to land a good block of hours on a Falcon 50.  Thoughts?  I trust the guy - has a fleet and just picked up a G4 too.  I can pay $500 more an hour for that one but will only do it rarely as it sucks fuel like nobody's business...Not to that G6 yet but figure this is a way for me to learn about em and not get totally crushed.  Technically it's a dry lease and he's putting me on his insurance etc.  

You know planes.  Have a chance to land a good block of hours on a Falcon 50.  Thoughts?  I trust the guy - has a fleet and just picked up a G4 too.  I can pay $500 more an hour for that one but will only do it rarely as it sucks fuel like nobody's business...Not to that G6 yet but figure this is a way for me to learn about em and not get totally crushed.  Technically it's a dry lease and he's putting me on his insurance etc.  
I used to manage a flight department for a family office. For my money, a Challenger 604 is the best combo of cabin size and range out there. Falcons have 3 engines which means higher maintenance costs. I think fuel is about a push with a Challenger. If you can find someone with a subscription to Conklin & deDecker, you can get actual operating costs for the planes. Any flight department or charter group will have it.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:
10 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I used to manage a flight department for a family office. For my money, a Challenger 604 is the best combo of cabin size and range out there. Falcons have 3 engines which means higher maintenance costs. I think fuel is about a push with a Challenger. If you can find someone with a subscription to Conklin & deDecker, you can get actual operating costs for the planes. Any flight department or charter group will have it.

He's basically paying all maintenance.  It's written up as a dry lease and I'm getting hours.  $1600 an hour.  Crew about $1800 a day.  Fuel varies but right now out by DuPage we can get it at $2/gallon.  Right at about 3000 gallons round trip to/from San Diego from Chicago.  It's honestly far from crazy if you have 4-5 people chipping in. Seats 11.  I'm a stickler for looks too and just love how the 50's show. 

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Damn you aren’t kidding on the g4 fuel consumption. I figured a three engine would have to burn more per hour. 

He's basically paying all maintenance.  It's written up as a dry lease and I'm getting hours.  $1600 an hour.  Crew about $1800 a day.  Fuel varies but right now out by DuPage we can get it at $2/gallon.  Right at about 3000 gallons round trip to/from San Diego from Chicago.  It's honestly far from crazy if you have 4-5 people chipping in. Seats 11.  I'm a stickler for looks too and just love how the 50's show. 
3400 an hour is probably pretty good. Think a Challenger would be 4-5k. Was 4k 12 years ago. I would compare to charter rates to see where it is. You should save some by committing to a block of 50 hours.

Is it his crew with his guys maintaining it, just under a different company? Maintenance and crew training is key. If that's the setup, that would be good.

You might look into a Lear 45 if they have one in the fleet. Cabin is not as big as the Challenger but the costs to operate should be less and its faster!

Fuel should be included in your dry lease rate, btw. The only extras you should be paying are catering and alcohol if you have specific requests.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Fuel should be included in your dry lease rate, btw. The only extras you should be paying are catering and alcohol if you have specific requests.

It's 100 hours for 160K and fuel is NOT included in the paperwork.  FAA regulation is that I buy my fuel I think?  From everyone I've chat with that's a pretty good deal as long as it's somebody I actually trust.  And we are splitting hours so I don't think it's some crazy loss.  We are all in a position to walk away if we do a couple trips and the costs end up more than what we bargained for.  

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

3400 an hour is probably pretty good. Think a Challenger would be 4-5k. Was 4k 12 years ago. I would compare to charter rates to see where it is. You should save some by committing to a block of 50 hours.

Is it his crew with his guys maintaining it, just under a different company? Maintenance and crew training is key. If that's the setup, that would be good.

Yes, he has a whole crew maintaining etc.  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's pretty damn insane.  Maybe on a few birthday like trips we'll go big but otherwise it's just a bridge too far.  

Yea that’s another level. I pulled up the profile on my Garmin app to see. 

I dabble flying in a TBM when going west and Baron 58. Turbofans were always another level. I had no idea the level gulfstream was at. 

Yes, he has a whole crew maintaining etc.  
Every dry lease I've done included fuel. Crew and catering were the only extras. How much is the fuel burn per hour? Compare the all in cost to charter. Should be less because you're signing up for a block of hours.

Also knowing the owner, maintenance and crew is a positive.