The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Saw a blub on the news about Boeing developing a hypersonic airliner for the next decade. I thought the Concorde's financial flop was enough to discourage any more such attempts at faster air travel.

They always talk about it.  Part of the problem with hypersonic travel is that you heat up the outside of the craft so much that even if you get on the ground on the other side of the world fast, you'd have to wait for the aircraft to cool before you could exit.  At least, this was the problem a few years back.  Maybe composites have improved enough to make this less troublesome.

think i saw a piaggio avanti going into hobby today.  definitely had that planform.  

Piaggio_P-180_Avanti_Rennes_2010_(croppe

11 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Saw a blub on the news about Boeing developing a hypersonic airliner for the next decade. I thought the Concorde's financial flop was enough to discourage any more such attempts at faster air travel.

it's prototype next decade, military applications the one after that, and pax the decade after that.  

They always talk about it.  Part of the problem with hypersonic travel is that you heat up the outside of the craft so much that even if you get on the ground on the other side of the world fast, you'd have to wait for the aircraft to cool before you could exit.  At least, this was the problem a few years back.  Maybe composites have improved enough to make this less troublesome.
I remember something about this. Even though the temps were -100ish F, the skin would be +400f. Had to do with expansion and the doors not opening, right? Seemed like the Concord would "grow" a few inches at mach 2.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:
23 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I remember something about this. Even though the temps were -100ish F, the skin would be +400f. Had to do with expansion and the doors not opening, right? Seemed like the Concord would "grow" a few inches at mach 2.

Indeed.  If you see the Concorde at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, there's a hat stuck in an expansion joint by the last crew.  Stuck it in while hot, then landed it and there it sits.  

I recall reading an article about the difficulties of practical hypersonic flight and they were discussing, apart from the expansion/contraction issue, that you'd have to have special equipment to allow people to approach the plane or they'd burn themselves.  So it was either wait, or buy everyone the modern equivalent of asbestos suits.  Either way, there are inherent inefficiencies.

Part of the problem with hypersonic travel is that you heat up the outside of the craft so much that even if you get on the ground on the other side of the world fast, you'd have to wait for the aircraft to cool before you could exit.

Boeing/Yeti partnership, duh.

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

Saw one in person at the Evergreen museum in Oregon a few years back.  Beautiful engineering for such an old plane. 

They have one in the Boeing Flight Museum in Seattle with a cockpit you can actually sit in and look at the instrumentation. It’s all behind glass because..idiots, but very cool.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

Saw one in person at the Evergreen museum in Oregon a few years back.  Beautiful engineering for such an old plane. 

As a kid, before I realized it was designed for reconnaissance, I thought the lack of front mounted 20mm cannons was disappointing.  Even as an adult, knowing full well the purpose this plane served, some dummy cannons up front would be a nice touch for the still photos. ;)

11 hours ago, dcbc said:

As a kid, before I realized it was designed for reconnaissance, I thought the lack of front mounted 20mm cannons was disappointing.  Even as an adult, knowing full well the purpose this plane served, some dummy cannons up front would be a nice touch for the still photos. ;)

Partially designed for reconnaissance. There was in interceptor model built, but never produced with a larger radome and a bay for Falcon missiles which were the direct forerunners of the Phoenix missiles deployed on F-14’s. 

• Like 1

They have one in the Boeing Flight Museum in Seattle with a cockpit you can actually sit in and look at the instrumentation. It’s all behind glass because..idiots, but very cool.  

It’s a pretty tight squeeze as well. I can only imagine getting in that thing with a space suit on.

Partially designed for reconnaissance. There was in interceptor model built, but never produced with a larger radome and a bay for Falcon missiles which were the direct forerunners of the Phoenix missiles deployed on F-14’s. 

YF-12. They have the last one at the NMUSAF. It’s a beast.
  • Like 1

Its been a while (May 1st) since I went up.  An old friend signed up in our flying club to get his PPL, and Friday wanted me to go up with him and show him a different perspective than his instructor.  I had so much fun I went again yesterday and flew the Red River at 1500 feet from Clarksville to about 30 miles from Shreveport (KTXK is home).  Even though it was rough as hell and hot, we had a blast.  Bug is back in my system to go out again one day this week.

mic button on the yoke was sticking, and had a hot mic twice.  Always makes me laugh when somebody does that or broadcasts on 121.5.  We are close enough to Barksdale to pick up their traffic. Yesterday I was that idiot (not the broadcast on guard though). 

So what kind of bullshit is BA pulling on me not allowing me to select the seats on my AUS-LHR flight.  Was pretty stoked on opportunity to sit upper deck in 744 before they all go away, but its telling me no seats until check in. Was able to select seats last year on 777 and 787.

ETA: Weird, it gives me seating options this morning, must have been a glitch in the matrix.  Kinda stoked.  Have wanted to fly upper deck since I was a little kid.

Edited by Anastasis

My wife just flew direct from dallas to Iceland...in a 757 for 8 hours. Damn I love that workhorse of a bird, it’ll be a sad day when she’s gone forever. The 739 and A321 just aren’t the same.

Not that I want 8 hours in a NB like that.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, Anastasis said:

So what kind of bullshit is BA pulling on me not allowing me to select the seats on my AUS-LHR flight.  Was pretty stoked on opportunity to sit upper deck in 744 before they all go away, but its telling me no seats until check in. Was able to select seats last year on 777 and 787.

ETA: Weird, it gives me seating options this morning, must have been a glitch in the matrix.  Kinda stoked.  Have wanted to fly upper deck since I was a little kid.

We had no problems booking our two seats (coach plus, or whatever they call the cheap seats with the extra 6" of leg room) months ago - Just two seats by a port side window near the front, so nobody has to walk over us to go pee (& vice versa).