The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

• 3 weeks later...
Wonder how he didn't get any indications that something was wrong when he put the gear up. 

Weird shit happens in GA and you make mistakes.

One evening I was doing my night proficiency landings and like a dumbass I forgot to take off the pitot / static tube cover. I land on feel while barely glancing at speed because that’s what I do. I was landing at indicated 10 kts on the first pass and had a mild lol/holy shit moment. Glance over to the wing about 800 AGL and realized what I forgot to do.

Work the checklist. I didn’t that one time.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody got any educated speculation about that Nashville crash?

Everyone died.  I could go crash my wife’s SUV at 80 with 5 people in it and I doubt we would all die.  No airbags in a plane?  Where’s Ralph Nader on this one?

Why does a single engine plane with power loss hit the ground so hard?  I thought in a power loss you tried to glide that thing down - land it on a road somewhere.

If you lose power at 1600 feet (that’s what I got from the news article) - how far can you glide?  I’m guessing you pull some Maverick move where you go into a dive to get the speed up and then pull up at the last second and buzz the tower?  That’s probably not how they teach it at school but…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoTex said:

Anybody got any educated speculation about that Nashville crash?

Everyone died.  I could go crash my wife’s SUV at 80 with 5 people in it and I doubt we would all die.  No airbags in a plane?  Where’s Ralph Nader on this one?

Why does a single engine plane with power loss hit the ground so hard?  I thought in a power loss you tried to glide that thing down - land it on a road somewhere.

If you lose power at 1600 feet (that’s what I got from the news article) - how far can you glide?  I’m guessing you pull some Maverick move where you go into a dive to get the speed up and then pull up at the last second and buzz the tower?  That’s probably not how they teach it at school but…

I've been wondering about that, as well.  The impact videos demonstrated that they had no lack of fuel.  The ATC recordings indicated that English was not the pilot's first language.  My guess is after he overran the runway the first time, he made the famous "impossible turn" and lost lift and control.

News said he radio reported that the engine quit - couldn’t make the airport.

What’s the stall speed on that plane? Under 100?

just line it up on a road and land that sumbitch.  I’m sure any one of us could do it.

Also complicating things is that this happened at night. During the day it very well could have been survivable since the pilot would be able to see more options like fields, roads, and avoid powerlines, etc. You don't have that luxury at night. 

18 hours ago, Exposition said:

Also complicating things is that this happened at night. During the day it very well could have been survivable since the pilot would be able to see more options like fields, roads, and avoid powerlines, etc. You don't have that luxury at night. 

In a city it’s not like the black abyss.  Streetlights, etc, right?  When I land at commercial airports I can see a lot of shit just based off city background lighting.

And if you’re coming down uncontrolled anyway, is a power line that great of a concern?  It’s going to snap and fuck something up but it’s not going to electrocute anyone.  Needs ground for that right?  

I understand that in controlled flight power lines are bad but if I’m crashing anyway I’m worried about immovable objects first, right? 

im not saying crashing in the dark is ideal but … just find a road bro.

Well crap! 
A tornado last month wrecked the restoration hanger at the Wright-Patterson AFB museum ….
https://www.twz.com/air/tornado-ravages-air-force-museum-restoration-hangar-at-wright-patterson-afb
(picture heavy)

Some friends at NMUSAF told me that nothing in the hangar was damaged and that the planes outside were essentially parts donors and scrap ready. So the museum dodged a bullet there.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 4:34 AM, Chad Fuck said:

Some friends at NMUSAF told me that nothing in the hangar was damaged and that the planes outside were essentially parts donors and scrap ready. So the museum dodged a bullet there.

I spent Sunday afternoon at Pima A&S in Tucson. Two of the ugliest fuckers that ever flew. 
image.thumb.jpeg.fce651298470d63ef235c5ec61250673.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ddcb52f92e2e653569cae56bdda8aeb6.jpeg

the Starship is special to me because they did a lot of test flights over our farm back in the day. I can identify that sound from miles away. 

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
missing words and shit
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I spent Sunday afternoon at Pima A&S in Tucson. Two of the ugliest fuckers that ever flew. 
image.thumb.jpeg.fce651298470d63ef235c5ec61250673.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ddcb52f92e2e653569cae56bdda8aeb6.jpeg

the Starship is special to me because they did a lot of test flights over our farm back in the day. I can identify that sound from miles away. 

One day in the before covid times...I want to say 2018ish... I was fishing some water on the flight path to the Aspen airport. All day long there's multi-million dollar private jets coming and going and neither my buddy or I even bothered to look up. Then we heard a plane that sounded much different and both looked up to see This Guy taking off. Pretty cool and rare sight. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

That's a really cool story/plane!

Used to go to Aspen for Christmas regularly and loved skiing Buttermilk, partially because you could see all the planes taking off and landing damn near on top of you.

On 3/14/2024 at 2:53 PM, Shoxthemonkey said:

6 turnin' and 4 burnin'. That's City of Ft. Worth. She used to sit at the entrance to Greater Southwest International. Vandals and scavengers raped the shit out of her after it closed. They did an amazing restoration job getting it airworthy and flew it to AZ. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

There are big hurdles ahead. The startup doesn’t have any customers yet. The quirky idea must win approval from the Federal Aviation Administration, which is coping with the fallout from Boeing Co. safety lapses and is understaffed as it reviews a flurry of new technologies vying for certification, including electric-powered and automated aircraft. Aerolane also must win the trust of the public, which needless to say is unaccustomed to seeing cargo gliders being towed through the air.

And it’s a tough time for new companies in the cargo business. The market is struggling with overcapacity...

So I have this sketchy idea for a business model that the market doesn't want or need...

1 hour ago, RPM said:

So I have this sketchy idea for a business model that the market doesn't want or need...

13 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

“The physics are in our favor,” Graetz said. “Look at the birds. They do it. We can learn a lot from birds.”

I like these guys. It’s like Dirtbike started an air freight company.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

6 turnin' and 4 burnin'. That's City of Ft. Worth. She used to sit at the entrance to Greater Southwest International. Vandals and scavengers raped the shit out of her after it closed. They did an amazing restoration job getting it airworthy and flew it to AZ. 

Minor quibble, they trucked it to Pima. It went from GSW to Carswell where they had retirees working on it from time to time. They tried to get the support of the city to keep it in FW, but couldn’t get any traction. Pima stepped in for the win.

Pretty certain the last B-36 flight was when that plane flew into GSW.

Partner on my King Air bought a helicopter and is trying to get us to go in on it. He’s been flying it everywhere and it sounds like it might be worth it for the short hop trips we were considering getting a Cirrus for. The fuel burn on it is basically nothing especially compared with the King Air. He is also flying it from his house/shop straight to job sites, so it is no better than driving for him. I’m not sure how interested I am in a helicopter but it is intriguing. May need to up my life insurance first I suppose.

Partner on my King Air bought a helicopter and is trying to get us to go in on it. He’s been flying it everywhere and it sounds like it might be worth it for the short hop trips we were considering getting a Cirrus for. The fuel burn on it is basically nothing especially compared with the King Air. He is also flying it from his house/shop straight to job sites, so it is no better than driving for him. I’m not sure how interested I am in a helicopter but it is intriguing. May need to up my life insurance first I suppose.

Prepare yourself for the insurance bill!

15 minutes ago, milkman said:

Prepare yourself for the insurance bill!

Actually wasn’t bad. The King Air runs us about $20k, his helicopter is about $8500. Values are about 2:1, plane is older but has all new avionics.