The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

When I first moved to Austin, was still dating a girl in Stillwater and made that drive close to 100 times...when you take the same drive every other weekend, you gotta find something small to look forward to.  Alliance was one of the highlights, loved coming up 35 and seeing that huge runway right there...never saw any real action though.  

Cool starry bra

1a58066faa4eaf6a218ae9d7e4a5271b.jpg
^Newest Bell tilt rotor demonstrator was unexpected to say the least. Super cool and surprisingly quiet.

8457a4895ec260fe6a0bf8a05f362025.jpg

F-22 had an amazing display but I wasn’t in a good place to get shots. This Mirage was out there and I didn’t realize there was one in civilian hands. Kind of rare in that respect:
381a9c6535984ae0c4b27ed2fb32ec3b.jpg

An idea of the density of the crowd:
361c630c15b1ef84165981cd170c4984.jpg

Huge shoutout to these modelers. They were sitting there handing out prepainted models to kiddos for free. So while the F-35 was performing a display I really wanted to see, Chad Jr. was too busy building an FW-190 to care. We really enjoyed it. Thanks again guys!
7554e6bd493437e743f464b0465be9fe.jpg

• Like 4

Long shot, but have any of you dealt with Aerosmith Aviation at KGGG?  We have a 182 there that is getting some upgrades.  They must have some policy for NOT RETURNING PHONE CALLS.  It is absolutely amazing for a company to not return calls, especially one where you are giving them $40K. 

If you have, and know somebody out there, please PM me the info. 

I always wonder if someday a B-2 is gonna overfly a crowd in like 50 years, and they’re al going to ooh and ahh stating ‘man what a glorious sound’.  Naturally I hope there’s nothing like WWIII to apply the pedigree that makes warbirds so special.  

Speaking of warbirds I saw what looked like a Zero fly over a gas station in RR, descending to Georgetown I’m guessing.  Any insight there?

Edited by Homercles

I always wonder if someday a B-2 is gonna overfly a crowd in like 50 years, and they’re al going to ooh and ahh stating ‘man what a glorious sound’.  Naturally I hope there’s nothing like WWIII to apply the pedigree that makes warbirds so special.  

Speaking of warbirds I saw what looked like a Zero fly over a gas station in RR, descending to Georgetown I’m guessing.  Any insight there?

Tora tora tora crew were in Dallas for the airshow. I suspect you saw a replica Zero returning home.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Why would you not land on 13 in those winds?  closed? 

We were wondering the same fucking thing. Other planes were getting in so we decided to give it a whirl. Worst case, we go around and take 13. Thankfully it was the captain's leg to fly. He wrestled it all the way down, but did a great job. 

When we pushed about 90 minutes later, they were landing and departing 13. By the time we took off (35th or so in line) they were back to landing 22. We took off on 13 with winds like 250/10.

Nor'easters are fun.

6 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Break this down for the layman. All I get is the last three letters. 

Winds were 120 degrees at 22 knots gusting to 36 knots. A knot is 1.15 statute miles per hour, so it's basically 25 mph gusting 40. +RA = heavy rain. 2 statute miles visibility.

Basically, it was shitty. Really shitty.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

LGA does departures on 13 and landings on 22 until it gets out of hand. It gets them out quicker. Ground ops there is fucked up enough with that but it’s an absolute parking lot when they’re down to one runway. 

Yeah, it's a nightmare even in the best of times, but you're absolutely right that landing 22 departing 13 is the least inefficient configuration they have.

1 minute ago, spystud13 said:

Cool, thanks. 

The extent of my knowledge is watching Air Disasters on Smithsonian, which probably isn’t real popular around here. 

Ha, I enjoy it. 

I should add that LGA has two perpendicular intersecting runways, oriented NW/SE (runway 13/31) and SW/NE (runway 4/22). The runway numbers come from the magnetic headings with the trailing zero chopped off. So runway 13/31 is 130/310 degrees. The same strip of pavement is basically two runways because you can use it from each end.

Planes like to land and take off into the wind, so on the day I described there was an option to land basically straight into the wind, if we'd landed on runway 13, but the tower was still using 22 for landings, which means we were landing with a direct crosswind (technically, even the slightest bit of tailwind component, but not much). 

• Like 1

We were wondering the same fucking thing. Other planes were getting in so we decided to give it a whirl. Worst case, we go around and take 13. Thankfully it was the captain's leg to fly. He wrestled it all the way down, but did a great job. 

When we pushed about 90 minutes later, they were landing and departing 13. By the time we took off (35th or so in line) they were back to landing 22. We took off on 13 with winds like 250/10.

Nor'easters are fun.

With those gusts I'd just stay in the air in my 182 and declare emergency if they were forcing that runway, but they obviously wouldn't. Is that typical for a lot of B airspaces? Doesnt seem like in in LA, dallas, Chicago, etc.

It's also interesting that they use departing and landing runways that X. To me anyway, but i am a scrub PP.

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Easier to get more traffic in and out. One plane can be on the takeoff roll while another is still on the landing runway. 

trivial things that make me surly:  When I am on AA Eagle going to DFW and they land way out there on 13R and you have to taxi to the other side of the airport and it takes 20 minutes.  

15 hours ago, markstanco said:

trivial things that make me surly:  When I am on AA Eagle going to DFW and they land way out there on 13R and you have to taxi to the other side of the airport and it takes 20 minutes.  

Yeah, but the pilots might be over blocking and getting paid. 

You can thank AA for that btw. They’re trying to squeeze out Spirit by gumming up the alley. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

14 hours ago, DaysOff said:
17 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:
Easier to get more traffic in and out. One plane can be on the takeoff roll while another is still on the landing runway. 

Also, it seems like when EWR and TEB are landing south. E'erbody landing south.

Ah runway 19 at TEB. Mind the towers on right base and don’t overfly the hospital. Not as fun as the ILS 6 circle to 1 though. 

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

But what does that have to do with Spirit?  People who fly AA want no part of Spirit.  

It’s my understanding that AA is trying to hem in NK at DFW by limiting gates. I think they refurbed the  “E” island and put a bunch of RJ’s there with push times matching NK’s so as to gum up the works. 

Airlines are not a high margin industry. Right now even financially strapped companies are able to play reindeer games to ward of competitors. That’ll change at the end of this up cycle. They don’t care if it inconveniences their passengers to do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

AA pilots are well known assholes perpetually angry at the world and their company that like to taxi at two knots.

50-50 in my experience. AA gate agents are the worst pilot hating SOB’s I’ve ever seen. 

You mean to tell me that taxi as fast as you can walk doesn’t apply to a Boeing?