The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

That’s awful. Glad your cousins kid is recovering. 4 adults in a Piper Comanche seems like a lot.  4 seats doesn’t always mean you can carry 4 people. I had a classmate in college who killed himself, his brother, and his sister in a similar accident.   The airplane was overweight and he stalled it into some trees right after takeoff. 

No it isn’t. # of persons doesn’t matter. Weight and weight distribution matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/marine-35-jet-crashes-clipping-wings-refueling-plane/story%3fid=73325534

F-35B and a C-130J bumped uglies while refueling. F-35 pilot ejected and his plane crashed next to the Salton Sea. Someone captured a video of that if anyone cares to look. The Herc shed props on 3 engines and made a successful belly landing in a field.   

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

If any of you find yourself in the DC area, the NASM Annex has reopened with times entries. I just happened to be online when they released the first ones and Chad Jr and I basically had the place to ourselves. Go now on a weekday. It’ll never be like this again.

e796240f17e0e6cef90254c4dd9dfb86.jpg
Notice how there’s nobody in the picture. Crazy.
dd724c1691242ddb1979ec5aac845066.jpg
He 219 mostly together

d0d22d872df2e5e15e75ea77b453023e.jpg
Flak Bait going together

e47b03fd9726cb81343a83373c9b9621.jpg
Wright 1909 Military flyer in the background. Northrop Alpha in the foreground.

The main Mall museum is closed so some of the planes stationed there are getting a refresher at the Annex.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Did my first bi-annual flight review last week.  Hadn't been in the cockpit in over a year.  I was shocked that the skills hadn't completely left me.  In fact, I was expecting to do a couple of flights with my instructor before the actual flight review, but when we landed  (for the last time) he said he thinks I might have actually improved on stick and rudder skills since the last time I flew with him.  

Now I'm plane shopping, thinking about a beech F33A with the 550 upgrade. 

Mission is to get me, wife and daughters (~250 lbs total) plus some gear to all points Texas and Colorado with home base being West Texas.   So the F33 seems like a fit.  Remove the fifth "seat" to make more room for baggage, and we have four forward facing seats that can be accessed from up front. This is vs the 36, with the club-style seating.  If we went that route, we'll either have to stack luggage/gear on one set of seats or remove one set, making our kids either face backward right behind us, or face forward, but have all the gear between us and them.

I also think I can go with a normally asperated 550 and still get plenty of power for those high altitude climb-outs leaving CO without having to deal with the added mechanical complexity of a Turbo.

The V-tail just doesn't seem like enough plane for what I'm wanting. Plus, I've heard they fly kinda wonky.

(Full disclosure, I've flown a A36, but never a 33 nor a V)

The V-tail just doesn't seem like enough plane for what I'm wanting. Plus, I've heard they fly kinda wonky.

Some of my first logged hours were in my Grandad’s v-tail going for $100 hamburgers (enchiladas) in Lajitas. He’d let me have that single throw-over yoke on my side and he’d grab the the column directly at the panel for a little extra help with the flare. Not a good airplane for hauling the family but it was cheap and good for sightseeing around west Texas. Good memories. The original doctor killer.
01c1f16e765dab00646daba839ddb96b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been cleaning out my parents' house recently and came across this great little shot.  Late 1970s.  That's my Dad on the right with mom with me by the arm trailing.  I've come to refer to the picture as "Unrealized Life Goals" (on my part).  He was still piloting back then.  I suspect that was at a fuel stop in Pueblo CO on the way to Aspen.  He didn't like to leave Aspen on a full tank.  Just a little extra insurance to clear the big mountain on the way out. 

Plane is a 1968 Rockwell Jet Commander 1121

1602256883851-dc4a6c32-febf-490d-8019-0b

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

Mission is to get me, wife and daughters (~250 lbs total) plus some gear to all points Texas and Colorado with home base being West Texas.   So the F33 seems like a fit.  Remove the fifth "seat" to make more room for baggage, and we have four forward facing seats that can be accessed from up front. This is vs the 36, with the club-style seating.  If we went that route, we'll either have to stack luggage/gear on one set of seats or remove one set, making our kids either face backward right behind us, or face forward, but have all the gear between us and them.
I also think I can go with a normally asperated 550 and still get plenty of power for those high altitude climb-outs leaving CO without having to deal with the added mechanical complexity of a Turbo.

You can also get a 36 with all forward facing seats.

Where in Colorado?

I spent a lot of time in 3737L. Great airplanes man!

If you’re in mountains I’d look hard at a twin. Keep us in the loop.

Thanks for the input. Didn’t know the 36 came in an all forward facing config, I’ll research that.

Gunnison/Telliride/Eagle-Vail are the main CO destinations with some Denver mixed in.

I’m a low time guy and after talking to a lot of my more experienced pilot friends, consensus seems to be that I might want to build some hours before moving up to a light twin. I have about 6 hours right seat in a 340A and I definitely get the appeal. IA twin is definitely in the long range plan (unless I land in a TBM). But as it stands I plan to be commercial rated before moving to multi.

I welcome yours and anyone else’s thoughts on the topic though.

Only 90 hours. Building time as fast as I can. But I prefer to build time and instrument train in my own plane if possible.

I’m definitely looking at TN options as well as straight Turbos. I’m drawn to the bonanzas with the io550 and I hear some people are putting them in 210s as well which is intriguing.

Been cleaning out my parents' house recently and came across this great little shot.  Late 1970s.  That's my Dad on the right with mom with me by the arm trailing.  I've come to refer to the picture as "Unrealized Life Goals" (on my part).  He was still piloting back then.  I suspect that was at a fuel stop in Pueblo CO on the way to Aspen.  He didn't like to leave Aspen on a full tank.  Just a little extra insurance to clear the big mountain on the way out. 
Plane is a 1968 Rockwell Jet Commander 1121
1602256883851-dc4a6c32-febf-490d-8019-0b3cef88a107.jpg
This is how you humblebrag, folks.

Oh, here i am flying in a private jet out of Aspen when i was little.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Only 90 hours. Building time as fast as I can. But I prefer to build time and instrument train in my own plane if possible.

I’m definitely looking at TN options as well as straight Turbos. I’m drawn to the bonanzas with the io550 and I hear some people are putting them in 210s as well which is intriguing.

https://www.aso.com/listings/spec/ViewAd.aspx?id=184625

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

This is how you humblebrag, folks.

Oh, here i am flying in a private jet out of Aspen when i was little.

Yeah, it didn't suck.  Dad was an avid pilot with over 10,000 private hours before he hung it up in the early 80s.  Friend of mine said it looks like a Wes Anderson movie.  I think that's the right answer.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Oh, don't get me wrong, if the budget allowed, I would be looking at a Meridian or TBM for this mission.  But at this point the only way I'm getting there is under piston power, the question is rather there's a GMC logo on the front or a propeller.  I intend to set some personal minimums to make this a safer endeavor.  Like having a maximum density altitude and keeping a safety cushion below what the math says is safe W&B calculation.

I have friends that fly regularly into TEX under piston power and they report no issues to date with doing so, I know that my MMV, but its a perspective.

I do welcome everyone's input, so please keep the opinions coming (I know Surly knows no other way)

• Like 1

They key thing is being able to make the right decision when the pressure is on.  You're the only one in your family that will have a full understanding of your minimums.  Every other member of the family is going to be disappointed when you say the vacation is going to get cut short a day or two because you don't like the weather or that we have to drive all of a sudden because of a front they can't even see yet.  They'll have a vague understanding of why, but not the depth of understanding you will.  It's a hard thing to disappoint everyone when they all think the license means you're good to go.  

If I owned a airplane it would be something minimal and VFR.  Nothing more than sightseeing and enjoying the view.  No glass, minimal avionics, etc..  But that's just me and we all have our own motivations.  Nothing wrong with having something for family trips as long as you have the discipline to say no sometimes.  

Airline pilots have the backup of Op Specs, defined procedures, and an MEL making the go/no-go decision for them.  It's real easy to point at something written in black and white that justifies your no-go decision. The other big advantage is the guy sitting next to you.  Not only will that guy validate the decision making, he's also there to help catch each other's mistakes.  If I was flying my family around GA in weather that might turn marginal I'd try my best to invite another pilot along, just for another set of eyes and another perspective on judgement calls.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BTW said:

I have friends that fly regularly into TEX under piston power and they report no issues to date with doing so, I know that my MMV, but its a perspective.

They lengthened TEX, and it’s a right turn and downhill to MTJ if things go sideways.  Also the pistons can use both runways whereas it’s largely one way in and out for the jets. Makes it easier. We refused to go in there if we couldn’t see the airport by Cones. 

Its just a gnarly place to play with diminished performance and an abundance of cumulogranite. Like most mountain flying. Set very high personal minimums as the above poster suggested, and let them be your “Ops Specs” so that you too have an easy out for the go/no go decision. 

I would imagine performance would limit most visits to ski season, but just bypass and proceed direct to Montrose if you go in warm weather imoho. Black Canyon Jet Center (It May be an Atlantic now) has great swag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was honestly thinking about other things regarding mountain flying, not necessarily personal mins.

1.  Engine out options.  If single engine, good luck finding a flat piece of terrain to put it down on if you lose it.  If you're in a twin, I hope you have enough power to make it somewhere viable.

2.  Will I clear that peak ahead?  What are my options if I can't?  I've seen pilots put themselves in some bad spots, sometimes fatal, thinking they can clear a peak or ridge when they can't.   Does a head wind help or hurt me if I'm trying to clear a ridge line?  At what angle to I want to clear it?  What's on the other side?  

Mountain flying in general is a whole different ballgame, and is why the AF still offers specialized mountain flying courses.  We did a lot of low-level mountain training in the Herk, and any issue you have gets compounded when you throw in big rocks to navigate around.  I realize most people won't be doing a lot of time in low-level regimes, but every flight has to begin and end there.

• Hook 'Em 1

All this mountain talk reminds me of the stories about the Wichita State football team plane crash.  Just sheer stupidity.  Sad af.  

Edit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29993873/three-generations-later-secrets-wichita-state-devastating-plane-crash-unfolding%3fplatform=amp

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

That’s why I suggested a twin up-thread.

If I was BTW (and I’m not) I’d go schedule you some multi time. My dad got his multi with 4 hours of time.....1970 at love field and the FAA dude laughed when they took off @ the 4 hours then promptly signed off on him.

Get some twin time. Go from there. I want that second engine if I’m over water or in the mountains.

• 2 weeks later...

What the hell is this guy up to? Same plane was dicking around the same space near ORD for four hours last night, too. 

FLC80 from Chicago https://fr24.com/FLC80/25e2e5c1

Last night's route:

Check out playback of aircraft N80 from Chicago to Chicago on Flightradar24. https://fr24.com/data/aircraft/n80#25e0c626

Screenshot_20201027-215953_Flightradar24.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

On 10/27/2020 at 10:02 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

What the hell is this guy up to? Same plane was dicking around the same space near ORD for four hours last night, too. 

FLC80 from Chicago https://fr24.com/FLC80/25e2e5c1

Last night's route:

Check out playback of aircraft N80 from Chicago to Chicago on Flightradar24. https://fr24.com/data/aircraft/n80#25e0c626

Screenshot_20201027-215953_Flightradar24.jpg

That’s Urban waiting for clearance down in Austin.  

Oh, don't get me wrong, if the budget allowed, I would be looking at a Meridian or TBM for this mission.  But at this point the only way I'm getting there is under piston power, the question is rather there's a GMC logo on the front or a propeller.  I intend to set some personal minimums to make this a safer endeavor.  Like having a maximum density altitude and keeping a safety cushion below what the math says is safe W&B calculation.
I do welcome everyone's input, so please keep the opinions coming (I know Surly knows no other way)

Where do we stand on this purchase. We’re all waiting.

Where do we stand on this purchase. We’re all waiting.