The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

1986 according to this guy's video description. I was thinking they may have had the Concorde there more than once. I was in the Navy from 80-84 and overseas so if they had that bird at a show during those years I didn't know it. That air show was at the (then) TSTI airfield which is the one Prez Bush would use. Being an old military airbase the runways can accommodate almost anything.

I remember.  They had a modification outfit there that did all sorts of custom aviation work.  I had a scoutmaster who worked for them.  One day they'd be putting in a turntable in a tricked out Boeing so the Sultan of Brunei could face mecca.  The next they'd be muscling up a Huey for parts unknown.  Anyhow, the days of cheap avgas when you could see 50 Texans do a flyover at once were awesome.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I remember.  They had a modification outfit there that did all sorts of custom aviation work.  I had a scoutmaster who worked for them.  One day they'd be putting in a turntable in a tricked out Boeing so the Sultan of Brunei could face mecca.  The next they'd be muscling up a Huey for parts unknown.  Anyhow, the days of cheap avgas when you could see 50 Texans do a flyover at once were awesome.

Speaking of fuel, I took a job at an FBO at the Waco regional airport when I first got out of the Navy. Used to take a 5 gallon bucket out to the fuel truck and drain a few gallons of that blue gas and then pour it into my '78 Monte Carlo. 100 low lead was good shit, lol. Not really theft I reasoned, might have been a bit of water in the fuel so taking a couple gallons from the bottom of the truck was just just looking out for the customer! 

ETA: L3 is the name of the company now. They've had a lot of interesting contracts over the years, many being DoD hush-hush stuff. Great place to work but with contract work come layoffs and getting on and staying on long term is a challenge. 

Edited by El Diablo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Speaking of fuel, I took a job at an FBO at the Waco regional airport when I first got out of the Navy. Used to take a 5 gallon bucket out to the fuel truck and drain a few gallons of that blue gas and then pour it into my '78 Monte Carlo. 100 low lead was good shit, lol. Not really theft I reasoned, might have been a bit of water in the fuel so taking a couple gallons from the bottom of the truck was just just looking out for the customer! 

ETA: L3 is the name of the company now. They've had a lot of interesting contracts over the years, many being DoD hush-hush stuff. Great place to work but with contract work come layoffs and getting on and staying on long term is a challenge. 

Seems like the perfect place for an aviation fan.  If I only I had some actual skills to work with and didn't have to make my living off my UT liberal arts degree and dreams.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I used to go to that air show at TSTI / TSTC every year. I think the Concord came a few times in the 80's. Every year it would rotate the Blue Angels then the Thunderbirds. Good times.

I went to A&P school there in the late 80's and early 90's. As a young aviation buff it was great since it one of the longest runways in Texas and barely used, military aircraft from all over the state would come do touch and goes regularly. It was like going to school at a perpetual Air Show.

Chad, we had 2 FBOs on that airstrip back then, everybody went to work for one or the other. My 1st gig was with Elsinore, we did 3rd party heavy checks for FedEx, Continental, etc. Also had a paint shop, we did the 1st of Continental's new logo back then, blue tail with gold globe. It was beautiful. Right across the runway was one owned by Chrysler, they are the ones who did all the crazy customization projects you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I used to go to that air show at TSTI / TSTC every year. I think the Concord came a few times in the 80's. Every year it would rotate the Blue Angels then the Thunderbirds. Good times.

I went to A&P school there in the late 80's and early 90's. As a young aviation buff it was great since it one of the longest runways in Texas and barely used, military aircraft from all over the state would come do touch and goes regularly. It was like going to school at a perpetual Air Show.

Chad, we had 2 FBOs on that airstrip back then, everybody went to work for one or the other. My 1st gig was with Elsinore, we did 3rd party heavy checks for FedEx, Continental, etc. Also had a paint shop, we did the 1st of Continental's new logo back then, blue tail with gold globe. It was beautiful. Right across the runway was one owned by Chrysler, they are the ones who did all the crazy customization projects you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I grew up here and it was I think the HQ for 12th AF and it was not uncommon in the 60's to hear a sonic boom from high overhead. We kids loved that shit. 

Now that you mentioned Chrysler I think they were the predecessor to L3 and it may have gone thru a couple of other name changes along the way that I don't remember. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Now that you mentioned Chrysler I think they were the predecessor to L3 and it may have gone thru a couple of other name changes along the way that I don't remember. 

General Dynamics way back when, then E-Systems for a while before the sale to Chrysler, IIRC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I went to the Waco show several year go when they had the Thunderbirds, which was pretty dang cool. Otherwise, I think the Temple show used to be better overall. They had more stunt fliers and big military recreations blowing shit up, less space in between acts. Tora Tora Tora every year, with the sky full of those old Jap planes that made a sound like no other. They had static displays of most of the planes you could see them up close, lots of war stuff. One day they had to shut it down  because the adjoining field caught on fire from the explosions and the drought and wind.

I have already seen quite a few of those Falcon planes since yesterday afternoon, I guess practicing in small groups. Just saw four fly over in missing man formation a few minutes ago.

Edited by DougO

1986 according to this guy's video description. I was thinking they may have had the Concorde there more than once. I was in the Navy from 80-84 and overseas so if they had that bird at a show during those years I didn't know it. That air show was at the (then) TSTI airfield which is the one Prez Bush would use. Being an old military airbase the runways can accommodate almost anything.

One of my uncles was a longtime Delta pilot, served as Chief Pilot for several years. After he retired, they flew the Concord across to Europe and sailed the Queen Mary 2 back (Or vis versa). On the flight, he sent one of his business cards to the flight deck with a stew and he was invited to come up to the cockpit and ride with them a bit.

/myconcordecsb

NTSB: Pilot error likely caused vintage bomber’s fatal crash

Pilot error probably caused the 2019 crash of a World War II-era bomber in Connecticut that killed seven people and wounded six others, the National Transportation Safety Board said in a report released Tuesday. It also cited inadequate maintenance as a contributing factor.

The four-engine, propeller-driven B-17G Flying Fortress bomber with 13 people aboard crashed at Bradley International Airport, north of Hartford, during a traveling vintage aircraft show on Oct. 2, 2019.

The pilot, Ernest “Mac” McCauley, reported a problem with one of the engines shortly after takeoff, and the plane crashed into a maintenance building and burst into flames after striking the runway lights during a landing attempt.

The NTSB said the flight data indicated that the landing gear was extended too early, adding drag that slowed the plane, and it was traveling too slow on its return to the airport.

“The B-17 could likely have overflown the approach lights and landed on the runway had the pilot kept the landing gear retracted and accelerated to 120 mph until it was evident the airplane would reach the runway,” the NTSB said.

In the report, there was also a call on the Federal Aviation Administration to adopt tighter regulations on vintage aircraft flights offered to the public.

McCauley, 75, of Long Beach, California, was a veteran pilot who colleagues said had great skills flying the B-17G. He and co-pilot Michael Foster, 71, of Jacksonville, Florida, were killed in the crash, along with five of the 10 passengers. The plane’s mechanic, Mitchell Melton, of Hawkins, Texas, was the only crew member to survive.

The NTSB said there was a power loss in two of the four engines during the flight, a problem it blamed on McCauley’s “inadequate maintenance.” McCauley also served as the maintenance director of the plane’s owner, the Collings Foundation, based in Stow, Massachusetts.

The NTSB also said the Collings Foundation had an ineffective safety management system that failed to identify hazards, including the inadequate maintenance of the plane. Investigators said the system, as well as the FAA’s ineffective oversight of the system, also contributed to the accident.

After the crash, the foundation suspended its flights and tour for the rest of the year. In March 2020, the FAA revoked the Collings Foundation’s permission to carry passengers aboard its World War II-era planes because of safety concerns stemming from the Bradley accident.

The FAA said in a statement Tuesday that it has a number of initiatives under way to improve the safety of vintage aircraft flights offered to the public. It has issued new guidance to safety inspectors, required them to inspect all operators of such flights by Sept. 30 and will be issuing new rules for operators’ safety management systems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't think it's mentioned anywhere else, but there was a midair in CO today, with no fatalities.  Cirrus looks to have overshot their approach into a Metroliner on final for the parallel.  Cirrus popped the chute and the Metroliner opened up like a sardine can, with the pilot seemingly being the only one unaware.

The Metroliner after landing

The Metroliner after landing

key_lime_sw4_n280kl_denver_210512_4.jpg

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e74b6e5&opt=0

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 8:06 AM, Chad Fuck said:

I believe the modification outfit was Chrysler Technology Airborne Systems (CTAS).  My ex-wife used to work for an Austin company who's sole client was the Sultan of Brunei - I think his flight division was known as His Majesty the Sultan's Flight.  All of the Sultan's large aircraft were retrofitted to his specs there in Waco.  I got to tour a wide-body Airbus of his before it was flown to Brunei for delivery.  Unbelievable stuff on that aircraft, the finest of everything.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Give me the plane that gets hit by another plane and keeps on ticking. You can have the parachute. 

SA-226/7 is a beast. 

30 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Because training wheels arent necessary on real airplanes.

This reminds me of stories of guys in WWI refusing to wear parachutes because they were somehow seen as dishonorable and rather choosing to burn to death in a flaming pile of sticks and dope soaked linen.  In any case, this seems timely as it represents both the parachute working and the plane that could take a licking and keep on ticking:

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/plane-collision-crash-cherry-creek-reservoir/73-79563af1-af84-482c-b3f8-f9b40d9378eb

No one hurt after midair. 

May, 13 1986, what seemed like a normal aerial training mission, ended up in tragedy.

The USN lost Lt. Nick Bradshaw when he and his Pilot Lt. Pete Mitchell where forced to eject from their F-14 Tomcat after flying through a wing mans jet wash, that carried them out to sea. RIP Lt. Nick “Goose” Bradshaw!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/13/2021 at 11:44 AM, markstanco said:

May, 13 1986, what seemed like a normal aerial training mission, ended up in tragedy.

The USN lost Lt. Nick Bradshaw when he and his Pilot Lt. Pete Mitchell where forced to eject from their F-14 Tomcat after flying through a wing mans jet wash, that carried them out to sea. RIP Lt. Nick “Goose” Bradshaw!

Sorry for the loss.  RIP Goose.

/valkilmervolleyball.jpg/

On 6/30/2019 at 7:23 PM, markstanco said:

Yall know anything about this2617c1f954ef5718cc7d6e4fddb427d0.jpg

On 6/30/2019 at 8:12 PM, Longhornmaniac8 said:

This was earlier this morning, roughly 10 am. I've heard they lost an engine shortly after takeoff, and I suspect they Vmc'd it. Had a friend/former student who was in the hangar two away from the one it went it. Pretty scary. She pulled herself together and passed her commercial checkride later this afternoon, though.

Officially pilot error. 

Pilot error caused a fatal aircraft crash in June 2019 at Addison Airport that killed 10 people, according to a report released Tuesday by the National Transportation Safety Board.

The failure of a pilot to control the plane following the loss of thrust in one of two engines just seconds after takeoff led to the fatal crash, the NTSB reported.

The Beechcraft King Air 350 rolled upside down and crashed into an airport hangar seconds after liftoff, killing the pilot, co-pilot and all eight passengers.

It was the worst aviation disaster in Dallas-Fort Worth in three decades.

On a cockpit voice recorder, pilot Howard Cassady, 71, of Fort Worth, can be heard talking with another, unidentified person about the engine on the left side of the plane, according to the transcript.

The recording also reveals that, at 9:10 a.m., about six seconds after liftoff, the pilot uttered the phrase “What in the world?”

Then the co-pilot, Matthew Palmer, 28, also of Fort Worth, responded, “You just lost your left engine,” according to the transcript. Another six seconds later, the co-pilot can be heard saying “Holy ----” and two seconds after that there is a sound of impact and the recording stops.

Passengers killed in the crash included Brian and Ornella Ellard, whose family owned a business that bought the plane earlier in 2019; their children Alice and Dylan Maritato; Steve and Gina Thelen; and John and Mary Titus.

Cassady had 16,450 hours of flight experience, according to NTSB records.

Palmer and his wife had just celebrated their one-year wedding anniversary, according to Palmer’s wife’s Facebook page. Palmer was a ranch and arena hand at the Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo.

Palmer had 2,357 hours of overall flight experience — including 225 hours as pilot, and 615 hours as co-pilot, of a turboprop aircraft.

Investigators analyzed video from multiple cameras on and off the airport property, the flight track broadcast by the airplane as well as known flight performance data and characteristics of the plane to recreate the accident flight path and determine the plane’s position, speed, altitude and roll angles.

The left engine lost almost all thrust several seconds after takeoff and the pilot responded with left rudder input, the opposite action of what the emergency called for, according to the NTSB report. Seconds later, the pilot applied right rudder but by that point the plane was rolling inverted, and there was insufficient altitude for recovery.

Investigators determined that had the pilot applied right rudder input, the airplane would have been controllable, according to the report released on Tuesday.

The audio from the recorder indicated that the pilots did not call for any of the checklists that would typically be used before takeoff, and they did not discuss what they would do in case of loss of engine thrust on takeoff or any other emergency procedure, the report stated.

The pilots’ failure to follow checklists and adhere to the airplane manufacturer’s emergency procedure were factors in the fatal accident, according to the NTSB report.

A detailed examination of the left engine and its control systems found no condition that would have prevented normal operation, the report says. The NTSB noted that there was a known risk of an unintentional movement of an engine power lever if its friction lock was adjusted incorrectly. Friction lock settings are one of the items in a pre-takeoff checklist the pilot failed to use, the NTSB said.

Investigators were unable to determine if the friction lock settings played a role in the loss of thrust on the left engine. The cause for loss of engine thrust could not be determined, according to the report.

In 2020, family members of two people killed in the crash filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the aircraft’s operators, EE Operations LLC, EE Realty, Inc. and S&H Aircraft LLC. The suit was filed in Dallas County. The status of the lawsuit was not available on Tuesday.

The flight on the privately owned airplane was bound for St. Petersburg, Florida.

I went to the TWA Museum in KC Saturday. They have a DC-3 and a Constellation that are both operational but both are currently grounded due to a lack of funds for some required maintenance and inspection. It is in a small hangar at the old Downtown Airport and stuff is really crammed in there. It made it tough to get any full shots of the display. For @Armybrat

IMG_20210522_104414141.thumb.jpg.ef6cd21e3037ae8c9ba51151b61d30d3.jpg

The last three pics are the last surviving Northrop Delta, a De Havilland Dove and a Martin 404.

IMG_20210522_104753852.jpg

IMG_20210522_104733055.jpg

IMG_20210522_104718398.jpg

IMG_20210522_104112299.jpg

IMG_20210522_104626889.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting.

Who knows, that could be the very same Connie I rode in from NYC to St. louis in 1954.

The C-47 I rode in from Taipei to Hong Kong & back in 1958 was destroyed when it hit the side on a mountain a couple of Years later.

CSB, the folks that you see climbing the steps to get in the Connie were there with their two boys. They were in line to get in and the creditcard reader ways having troubles. The staff was taking cash only and they didn't have enough. They were going to leave to get cash but my wife took some money out of her purse and paid for them. The kids followed us around the rest of their time there like we were grandparents. Hope we built up a little karma.

IMG_20210522_104521378.jpg

IMG_20210522_104544133.jpg

IMG_20210522_105615945.jpg

IMG_20210522_104118580.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

A few more pictures from inside the Connie. These are the rear First Class seats with the sleeper berths. I was standing by the bathroom door when I took these but I should have taken a picture of the johns. They had a His and Hers, unlike the one-size-fits-all approach of modern airliners. There isn't any overhead stow space but there was a lot of room underneath the seats.

IMG_20210522_104324526.jpg

IMG_20210522_104343706.jpg

IMG_20210522_104332711.jpg

IMG_20210522_104407250.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Private contractor Mirage F1 down near Nellis:  

https://upnorthlive.com/news/nation-world/aircraft-crash-northeast-las-vegas-valley

Also, getting big talk in the warbird world is that Paul Allen's Flying Heritage and Armor Collection has been shut down since his passing under the convenient guise of Covid.  Now the aviation projects he owned are going up for sale.  Partially completed B-17E anyone?

https://www.platinumfighters.com/inventory-2/1941-boeing-b-17e-flying-fortress-

On 5/19/2021 at 1:06 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’m making no judgement about the PIC’s ability, but quite often some of our more seasoned fractional pilots in their late 60’s and early 70’s self retired in the sim by doing much the same thing. Just terrible all around. 

Didn’t use checklists, wouldn’t let co-pilots touch the controls when passengers were on board, etc etc.  An old set in his ways pilot, much like Mac in the B-17. Co-pilots were just there for window dressing. 

Thanks for posting.
Who knows, that could be the very same Connie I rode in from NYC to St. louis in 1954.
The C-47 I rode in from Taipei to Hong Kong & back in 1958 was destroyed when it hit the side on a mountain a couple of Years later.
Brat, I don't think I have ever asked, but are you a pilot or just an aviation junkie? You seem to know a lot about planes.

13 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Didn’t use checklists, wouldn’t let co-pilots touch the controls when passengers were on board, etc etc.  An old set in his ways pilot, much like Mac in the B-17. Co-pilots were just there for window dressing. 

That’s not age related. Plenty of a$$holes with control issues still pulling that BS these days. Far more prevalent in the private world where some of the more special people can hide. 

I was speaking to experienced pilots often kicking wrong pedals in V1 cut scenarios. It was nearly an exclusive club with that regard. And stupider still was the fact that most never seemed to catch on to the fact that the failed engine on checkride night tended to be the the right one so the the TOGA button was easily accessible in a familiar place on the operational thrust lever. And vice versa on warm up night. 

I've been working on my instrument rating this spring.  Last week I was excited to not have to wear the hood and get some actual IMC in my logbook.  However, I also got the opportunity to shoot an approach to minimums for the first time ... Holy Shit. Did you more seasoned guys ever get used to that feeling of popping out of the clouds and them almost immediately sticking your wheels on the ground?

On 4/9/2021 at 1:28 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

General Dynamics way back when, then E-Systems for a while before the sale to Chrysler, IIRC.

My Mom worked a short stint at E-Systems/Chrysler, off of Hewitt Dr. back in the 80's. She went in the first day, and they were trying to build wiring harnesses without using pegboards. It was a fiasco for sure. So she and a friend that was an EE built all of the pegboards.

It's been a long time since I've been on this thread. I just didn't have the time and money to pursue flying anymore. I worked at the FBO in Clifton all throughout college. Got my pilot's license on my 17th birthday. It looks like I'll be back in after CHIEF Jr. gets out of college and gets a good ME job. We are going to build a Kitfox SS7, for STOL purposes. I'm not even going to have him get his license in anything but a taildragger. One of his good friends has a Super Cub he can teach him in, but more than likely he will get his license in the Kitfox.  

We have two airstrips in our subdivision, and a lot of Lockheed retirees that have built about a dozen RVs that fly outta here. We have a very active EAA chapter https://eaa983.org/wp1/ here, and I've done dope and fabric work before. We get formation flights coming by (I'm on Final Approach about 600 yards from the end of the runway with a South wind) and a guy that gives two hour airshows on every ice cream day. He is a badass, tail slips, flat spins, loops, etc. We just sit on the back porch and watch.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Like 2

https://boomsupersonic.com/united

United becomes first U.S. airline to sign aircraft purchase agreement with Boom Supersonic

United will purchase 15 of Boom’s ‘Overture’ airliners, once Overture meets United’s demanding safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for 35 more aircraft. Slated to carry passengers in 2029, the net-zero carbon aircraft will fly on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF).

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

Visited the highest airport in the lower 48 today.

e8d3ab1e00b271abb4d3f79fa0b9ceb1.jpgec43629f8ff829b685ddf13295d74950.jpg7f655bb1856dc66d2832a32028ed4bcc.jpg6d52f62e83e90477be5251e0834cec85.jpg

Girl in my dorm my freshman year of college lived in Leadville and worked at the FBO. They used to give you a token certificate for flying into Leadville. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Girl in my dorm my freshman year of college lived in Leadville and worked at the FBO. They used to give you a token certificate for flying into Leadville. 

CHIEF

On the back, as rumor has it, it says "congratulations, you didnt die"

https://boomsupersonic.com/united

United becomes first U.S. airline to sign aircraft purchase agreement with Boom Supersonic

United will purchase 15 of Boom’s ‘Overture’ airliners, once Overture meets United’s demanding safety, operating and sustainability requirements, with an option for 35 more aircraft. Slated to carry passengers in 2029, the net-zero carbon aircraft will fly on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF).

I'll believe it when the pay rate is in the contract and it's sitting at the gate. Not the first carrot to be dangled in front of the rabbits, but looks cool and lots of good press today. df97728fe2b4f163aa37e8859b8f3feb.jpg
  • Like 2

CHIEF

Used to have a girl on our team at work from Leadville. She spent a couple weeks trying to get us to properly pronounce “MOLYBDENUM”.

CHIEF

Used to have a girl on our team at work from Leadville. She spent a couple weeks trying to get us to properly pronounce “MOLYBDENUM”.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

My nephew from the Austin area recently built his vacation house near Leadville. He had to buy an oxygen concentrator to help him sleep up there.

A6627B2B-9DBC-4E71-8BDE-1755832EDCCC.jpeg

585EDCDF-7EC4-4859-BADE-E03E8D4F1D8C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

My nephew from the Austin area recently built his vacation house near Leadville. He had to buy an oxygen concentrator to help him sleep up there.

A6627B2B-9DBC-4E71-8BDE-1755832EDCCC.jpeg

585EDCDF-7EC4-4859-BADE-E03E8D4F1D8C.jpeg

Nice place. Sleeping is a bitch up there. When I lived in Durango, CO, it took a while to be able to sleep due to the lower oxygen. I also had to sleep for about a month with a wet washcloth over my nose, the extremely low humidity would give me nosebleeds during the night.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

If he wanted the "out in the sticks place but with a Safeway", he found it.