The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

often cracks me up those fixes are often named for the locale or airport, like LINDY, HOUKM or LAIKS.

Fix names are amusing. Kansas City has SPICY BARBQ RIBBS all on one approach. But the best is IAH with one of the arrivals having MILLR LIITE ADVIL or something like that. After LeBron left Cleveland the first time the local approach controllers changed the pronunciation of LBRON intersection to “La Baron”. 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Fix names are amusing. Kansas City has SPICY BARBQ RIBBS all on one approach. But the best is IAH with one of the arrivals having MILLR LIITE ADVIL or something like that. After LeBron left Cleveland the first time the local approach controllers changed the pronunciation of LBRON intersection to “La Baron”. 

Atlanta has LOTR and Star Wars arrivals.  KC, has Spicy, Jerked BBQ Ribbs, but did away with MMMM on the missed. Portland, MA has the famous Itawt, Isaw , Aputty, Cat, Ideed.  DFW has a great one for one of it’s center controllers who routinely jacked up arrivals with Pleaz, Chimli, Jusst, Switch, Themm. I want to say an arrival in Naples talked about old people and diapers.

The spellings are probably wrong, but you get the point.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Mad respect to anyone at ATC who can continue to operate after witnessing something like that.  

I hated to see that take-off and crash sequence.  Was he hot-dogging it with the almost vertical take-off and resultant loss of lift and control -- or would some kind of mechanical failure explain what happened?  RIP to a very talented pilot.

18 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I hated to see that take-off and crash sequence.  Was he hot-dogging it with the almost vertical take-off and resultant loss of lift and control -- or would some kind of mechanical failure explain what happened?  RIP to a very talented pilot.

Completely spitballing, but it  looks like a control cable broke, was rigged backwards or maybe a CG shift/aft CG. 

He probably knew he was dead for a few moments before hitting the ground. 

11 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Maybe a runaway trim?  

Cut out switches and shit. 

I’ve seen it speculated that the control lock was still in because the ailerons and elevators are perfectly neutral throughout the crash sequence, but if you’ve seen the control lock on one of those it seems implausible. 

Some speculation that the seat slid all the way back. 

I'm going to use this thread to blast VT-AAA in New Braunfels and hope that none of you use ever consider using them for any training. They have a Houston location as well. I began training in March 2020 and have withdrawn as I wasn't making the progress I wanted and frankly don't care to fly anymore. When I went to get my loan refund, they have added a completely new policy of forfeiting 10% of your loan amount in addition to the below. The below is what I originally signed onto and agreed to, and there was no communication of this 10% forfeiture until I asked about it in an email. In the loan refund email I have to sign to get my loan money back they have a line that says "these policies supersede previous refund policies to reflect the current financial aid policies of VT-AAA*" So like that, I got an extra 9k charge for asking for my loan refund unless I pursue some legal action. I haven't agreed to sign because I'm still pissed at this. If anyone knows a lawyer around New Braunfels or one in Austin that could take a look that would be great if you could share. If it's better to go through the Better Business Bureau, please say something. I've only spent about 17k on lessons, but adding another 9k (90k loan) cause of a penalty that was made in secret and is not being advertised in their policy on their website is screwing me over BIG.

TLDR: I'm having my loan refund held hostage until I agree to a new 10% charge that I never agreed to when I signed up originally. Website language below and original agreement make no mention of the penalty

https://vt-aaa.com/policies.php

Cancelation of Training and Refund Policy

Once a student has begun their flight training program and chooses to discontinue their training program, the student will need to submit a Request for Refund document. Once initiated, the student will then meet with the Chief Pilot and Business Manager to discuss the reasons for withdrawal. Refunds will be calculated in the following manner: Administrative Fees to be charged:

• Before first license/rating completed: $2500
• If first license/rating completed: $3000
• If second license/rating completed: $3500
• If third license/rating completed: $4000

All flight training and instructor hours will be re-calculated at current retail rates (not discounted packages rates) and charged to the account. The remaining account balance will then be refunded to the funding source (Check, credit card, loan provider, etc.) This process may take up to 90 days to complete.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate that I have to go down this path, but what is the appropriate channel for filing a complaint against a CFI?  When I changed jobs and moved, I requested a refund of my remaining balance within all guidelines of his refund policy.  Total was about $2,500.  I got about $900 of that back within 6 months of the request, but it has been some 15 months since that payment, and I have not received any more.

He has emailed me a few times during that 15 months that he knows he still owes.  I sent an email reminder last week that we need to get this resolved and/or set up a short-term payment plan.  No response over the past 6 days.

Is the FAA the best path?  Small claims court?  Strongly worded letter from a Surly lawyer?

Looks like we may be adding a CJ1 to go along with our Baron. The Baron has been great for quick trips with 1-2, but it just doesn’t have the space for anything over 2 unless you really like each other. It has also been extremely cost effective to fly at this point which is a huge plus. However, we keep running into issues of longer flights or needing to get more than 2 somewhere. After paying for use on a CJ1 that is part of our management company’s managed planes, I think partnering on one with someone is going to make sense so we can cover multiple travel options.

It’s also crazy the number of clients we have now buying planes. Be interesting to see what that looks like when the economy flips at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for the pros.  Was watching a guy fly a STAR/Approach, that had a crossing restriction.  He was in VNAV so the FMS ‘knew’ to hit that point at 6,000, but before that crossing, ATC gave him a new alt of 3,000 which he dialed in on the glare shield.  It wasn’t clear what happened next.  

If you put a new alt in and press the knob, on say whatever is on a 737NG…does it change from VNAV to ALT capture right away, or will it honor the crossing restriction unless you override it with some kind of action?  

I kinda assumed that action would immediately change the vertical mode, and have to be careful to not enter that new altitude until after passing the restriction (unless ATC specifically clears you)…and that he’d just dialed in the new altitude as a memory aide on the next step down but didn’t punch it in.  

Sorry for a weird question.  FMS/FD/AP stuff fascinates me.  

Dialing in the new altitude up top and hitting the alt intv button won't change the descent mode.  It stays in VNAV and will descend to the higher of the two altitudes (the one up top vs the one programmed for the next fix in the FMC).   If you just dial in 3000 and do nothing else it will still level at 6000'.  But hitting the altitude invention button deletes the restriction at the next fix in the FMC and so now the 3000' is the highest altitude set and you'll get a cruise descent to that altitude.

If it was a different button he hit then it would change the mode.  That low and likely with no other fixes beyond the one you'll cross at 3000 we usually hit Level Change which gives a you flight idle descent to the altitude set up top with no regard whats in the FMC.  

VNAV is the hardest damn thing I ever had to learn in an airplane and I won't be surprised if I fucked that explanation up.  Even in the RJ I used to fly we just used vertical speed.  Altitude to lose divided by 3 = number of miles out to start down.  Groundspeed times 5  = your descent rate to get there.   VNAV was a whole new world to me and it didn't come easy.

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Dialing in the new altitude up top and hitting the alt intv button won't change the descent mode.  It stays in VNAV and will descend to the higher of the two altitudes (the one up top vs the one programmed for the next fix in the FMC).   If you just dial in 3000 and do nothing else it will still level at 6000'.  But hitting the altitude invention button deletes the restriction at the next fix in the FMC and so now the 3000' is the highest altitude set and you'll get a cruise descent to that altitude.

If it was a different button he hit then it would change the mode.  That low and likely with no other fixes beyond the one you'll cross at 3000 we usually hit Level Change which gives a you flight idle descent to the altitude set up top with no regard whats in the FMC.  

VNAV is the hardest damn thing I ever had to learn in an airplane and I won't be surprised if I fucked that explanation up.  Even in the RJ I used to fly we just used vertical speed.  Altitude to lose divided by 3 = number of miles out to start down.  Groundspeed times 5  = your descent rate to get there.   VNAV was a whole new world to me and it didn't come easy.

That explanation is still pretty spot on.  I still fuck it up from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 8:33 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

I'm surprised that this didn't get any run here.

Had an uncle that retired as Chief Pilot for Delta.  He had several planes, among them, a pair of Stearman's. He and my aunt flew them up to Oshkosh once or twice after he had retired.  When he passed away (Fuck ALS) the local flying club did flyovers of his graveside service with 8 or 9 Stearmans.  We went to their farmhouse after the service with the family and the club flew over all afternoon dropping notes of condolence.  Got a couple of pics somewhere of 4 or 5 in a line coming low over the pasture.  Pretty cool sendoff.

• Like 3

Shit I was able to find a pic ...

DCP_1636.thumb.JPG.86414df87d3fd9f9f2cf72f41ae58f11.JPG

ETA:  I think one of these planes was one of his, they had a yellow one and a blue one.  Notice the other two barely over the far trees.  They did this for several hours that day.

Edited by davidg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

I was on the YT site vasa aviation earlier listening to a Cessna ( I think) 310 go down in a neighborhood in CA. Hit and killed a UPS driver. What a way to go. Lotto is easier to hit vs those odds.

Pilot/owner was cardiologist from Yuma.  He and UPS dude were only fatalities, thankfully.  Couple of houses fucked up though. 

Honda hasn’t figured out that looks right, flies right is a thing and that there won’t be a huge demand for their curious engine mounted design. It may be efficient and effective, but it’s ugly. Rich folk are surprisingly self conscious about their planes.

I remember sitting in the hotel shuttle next to a NJ’s crew that had just been balled out by an owner because they had dared to recover his Citation X trip with a G-IV. Dipstick wanted to go across the country at .90 M and wasn’t pleased about having to do it at .81 in something that could comfortably house a basketball court.

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Honda hasn’t figured out that looks right, flies right is a thing and that there won’t be a huge demand for their curious engine mounted design. It may be efficient and effective, but it’s ugly. Rich folk are surprisingly self conscious about their planes.

I remember sitting in the hotel shuttle next to a NJ’s crew that had just been balled out by an owner because they had dared to recover his Citation X trip with a G-IV. Dipstick wanted to go across the country at .90 M and wasn’t pleased about having to do it at .81 in something that could comfortably house a basketball court.

I used to work in the family office business.  We (flight crew and I) always joked that ramp presence was the most important thing.  Having the biggest jet on the ramp makes people smile.  He didn't give a shit about getting somewhere slightly faster since he was paying for the gas.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I used to work in the family office business.  We (flight crew and I) always joked that ramp presence was the most important thing.  Having the biggest jet on the ramp makes people smile.  He didn't give a shit about getting somewhere slightly faster since he was paying for the gas.

Oh yeah. But some of them get wrapped around the axle about the most inconsequential BS. I recovered a Phenom trip where the owner was livid because he was getting picked up by a Lear. He had been told that the Phenis was the best thing since sliced bread. I started to tell him the flight time up to Sun Valley and he cut me off and told me the Phenom time. We had it beat by 20+ minutes. That shut him up. I tried to infer as politely as I could that he had chartered a cheap, slow POS. Seen plenty of large trips where the owners take a Challeger and relegate their kids to a Lear.

Anyway, stretching that Honda jet made it look better.

• Like 1

Oh yeah. But some of them get wrapped around the axle about the most inconsequential BS. I recovered a Phenom trip where the owner was livid because he was getting picked up by a Lear. He had been told that the Phenis was the best thing since sliced bread. I started to tell him the flight time up to Sun Valley and he cut me off and told me the Phenom time. We had it beat by 20+ minutes. That shut him up. I tried to infer as politely as I could that he had chartered a cheap, slow POS. Seen plenty of large trips where the owners take a Challeger and relegate their kids to a Lear.
Challenger is what i would buy with my money. Great cabin, reliable, can go trans-continental, and can be bought for not too much. Still expensive to operate, but they all are.

9 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
21 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Challenger is what i would buy with my money. Great cabin, reliable, can go trans-continental, and can be bought for not too much. Still expensive to operate, but they all are.

350 is shit hot. We considered ditching all the Lears and going all CL because the operating costs were virtually identical once you got past the first hour, and it could do any mission in the fleet. That changed when we bought G’s and Globals, but still a sweet ride.

• Like 1

350 is shit hot. We considered ditching all the Lears and going all CL because the operating costs were virtually identical once you got past the first hour, and it could do any mission in the fleet. That changed when we bought G’s and Globals, but still a sweet ride.
Guy i used to work for upgraded his CL604. He has a Global XRS now. Quite the ride. I flew in the Challenger several times. Never got to fly in the Global. I did get a tour of it in the hangar.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Guy i used to work for upgraded his CL604. He has a Global XRS now. Quite the ride. I flew in the Challenger several times. Never got to fly in the Global. I did get a tour of it in the hangar.

Same. Did the crew shuttle in a CL any number of times. Was only able to tour the Globals and 450s. The 650’s arrived after I had moved on.  All of them were seriously plush. I am thankful that I don’t have to clean them.

• Like 1