The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

Couple what looked to me to be T-38s just did a few circuits around the bee caves area, circled back over LTHS, and then appears to head out over lakeway to lake travis. Pretty cool, went outside and tracked them around for a bit after I first heard them. Do these fly out of anywhere closer than Randolph?

52 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Couple what looked to me to be T-38s just did a few circuits around the bee caves area, circled back over LTHS, and then appears to head out over lakeway to lake travis. Pretty cool, went outside and tracked them around for a bit after I first heard them. Do these fly out of anywhere closer than Randolph?

sure they weren't iranian?

22 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Could have been out of Laughlin. Del Rio ain’t that far from Austin when you’re in a T38. NASA also flies them out of Ellington. 

• Like 1

Cramming for my PPL check ride has begun.  I flew with the CFI yesterday and today and I'll get in a solo day tomorrow to do air work and try to nail the short/soft field TO/Ls.  Then I go back with him on Thursday, to make sure my chops are up to snuff.  I'll be cramming all weekend for the knowledge part and we'll do a couple of mock rides next week before hopefully getting checked out the following week (might shoot for 9/11 cuz fuck terrorists).

Any pointers from the surly pilots out there? Gotcha questions you remember from your check rides? or other related stories?

I'm really hoping to get my ticket punched because I have a plane reserved to fly in for the USC game that next weekend.

Edited by BTW

I don't have any flying advice, but don't let the perceived pressure of renting the plane for the USC game force you into the checkride if you're not ready.  This is kind of the reverse of "Get Home-itis" that pilots talk about, and it can allow you to talk yourself into shit that you wouldn't normally do.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 11:31 AM, BTW said:

Cramming for my PPL check ride has begun.  I flew with the CFI yesterday and today and I'll get in a solo day tomorrow to do air work and try to nail the short/soft field TO/Ls.  Then I go back with him on Thursday, to make sure my chops are up to snuff.  I'll be cramming all weekend for the knowledge part and we'll do a couple of mock rides next week before hopefully getting checked out the following week (might shoot for 9/11 cuz fuck terrorists).

Any pointers from the surly pilots out there? Gotcha questions you remember from your check rides? or other related stories?

I'm really hoping to get my ticket punched because I have a plane reserved to fly in for the USC game that next weekend.

There once were these little books called "Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide" or some such.  I think the Private Pilot one was red.  In addition to aircraft systems, CFR's and whatnot I found those extremely useful.  Usually far more in depth than the examiner ever went.  I don't know if they're still published or not.

Btw, this isn't a European ATP ride.  They're not going to expect you to know the wattage of the runway lights. It's not going to be a 6 hours oral.  Be competent in the knowledge areas listed in the PTS, but the examiner isn't expecting Pete Mitchell to plop down in front of him

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 11:31 AM, BTW said:

Make sure you don't tell them you aren't concerned with knowing how to land the plane.

I don't have any flying advice, but don't let the perceived pressure of renting the plane for the USC game force you into the checkride if you're not ready.  This is kind of the reverse of "Get Home-itis" that pilots talk about, and it can allow you to talk yourself into shit that you wouldn't normally do.
Your wet ticket is a license to learn (or a license to kill yourself). I think of a new PP as handing the keys to an SUV to a guy on his 16th birthday. Know your personal limits. Maybe you're comfortable with blasting off on a vfr cross country into Austin's airpace by yourself. I wasn't 18000 hours ago.
  • Like 1

The plan is to go into Austin Executive.  That will keep me out of Charlie completely.  All of my x-country solos so far have been into Charlie, so I'm not too intimidated even if I did go into KAUS.  The real test will be when I fly in to Bravo to go see my parents in Addison.

But the comment about the license to learn is well taken.  That is very much how I'm treating it.  I'm not thinking that getting my ticket punched suddenly makes me qualified to undertake any VFR flight  I can imagine.  I'm also planning to dive straight into the IFR training, but I'm hoping to buy a plane first so I can do my IFR in it while building insurance hours.

Most likely astronauts getting training hours coming from Ellington. Used to see them up here a lot
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BTW said:

The plan is to go into Austin Executive.  That will keep me out of Charlie completely.  All of my x-country solos so far have been into Charlie, so I'm not too intimidated even if I did go into KAUS.  

I’ve never been into Executive so i don’t know the fuel and FBO situation but Georgetown and San Marcos are also good options.  Good luck on the ride.  If the examiner falls asleep, don’t wake them up.  

The plan is to go into Austin Executive.  That will keep me out of Charlie completely.  All of my x-country solos so far have been into Charlie, so I'm not too intimidated even if I did go into KAUS.  The real test will be when I fly in to Bravo to go see my parents in Addison.
But the comment about the license to learn is well taken.  That is very much how I'm treating it.  I'm not thinking that getting my ticket punched suddenly makes me qualified to undertake any VFR flight  I can imagine.  I'm also planning to dive straight into the IFR training, but I'm hoping to buy a plane first so I can do my IFR in it while building insurance hours.
Maps (airspace) and weather. You better know it. You do this right and your oral is cut in half.

Also, know how to fly. Helps somewhat.

Been to Executive many times. Feels like you’re in the boonies when you’re just off the loop. FBO is very nice. They have an Olympus Concorde engine  inside and lots of nice space for orals etc. covered parking for the planes too. 

Also, the liscense to learn comment is dead on. I always think of the line from Avatar when the main character is dropped on Pandora. “Let’s nobody be dead today. Looks very bad on my report.”  The comment about learning applies for every certificate and type rating so don’t be shy about admitting it or telling anyone and or yourself NO if a personal minimum is infringed upon.

Good luck. 

Ok someone who flies IFR regularly...help me understand ‘transitions’. I think transition I think the space between local air pressure and flight levels...are they also documented routes to ‘transition’ between something like a SID and an airway? If so, do they occur in that transitional altitude before FL180?

I’ve got my nerd videos and I’ve got my nerd questions. Sorry if they’re elementary.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Ok someone who flies IFR regularly...help me understand ‘transitions’. I think transition I think the space between local air pressure and flight levels...are they also documented routes to ‘transition’ between something like a SID and an airway? If so, do they occur in that transitional altitude before FL180?

I’ve got my nerd videos and I’ve got my nerd questions. Sorry if they’re elementary.

Departure Procedures (DP)/Standard Instrument Departures (SID) and Standard Terminal Arrivals (STAR) utilize transitions to help facilitate the flow of aircraft between the en-route and terminal structures. In the case of a STAR, by allowing aircraft coming from many different areas to ultimately flow over the same point/points, you simplify air traffic procedures and create more structure/organization in and out of busy terminal environments. Take, for example, the DODJE5 STAR into KDAL. The "catchment" area for that STAR is immense, and has transitions that begin all the way over in Alabama.

In the case of SIDs/STARs, the word "transition" is used because it helps transition aircraft to/from the en-route structure.

In the case of a transition level/altitude it is simply the altitude where you switch (read: transition) to/from standard pressure (29.92). In the US, it's FL180, but in Europe it's much lower (can't recall where).

Edited by Longhornmaniac8
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Obligatory.

giphy.gif

I love airplanes, my dream job as kid was Navy pilot. But when you live and work at the foot of the runway of one of the largest master jet bases on the planet you tend to get your fill of F-18s. Especially when they close all the roads for no apparent reason other than we've become a litigious society. 

I've been binging this Youtube channel for the last couple weeks of two guys who fly a G-IV SP. Really cool insight into the job of corporate pilots and technical aspects of the G-IV.
This is the video that got me started down the rabbit hole:

Love CPF. Others to catch are Premier1Driver (even got a sticker and shirt), Jesse Flies, Baron Pilot, Stevo1Kinevo.

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Love CPF. Others to catch are Premier1Driver (even got a sticker and shirt), Jesse Flies, Baron Pilot, Stevo1Kinevo.

Yep, have seen videos from all of those guys too, but Corporate Pilot Life is the only one I watch regularly. Probably my fascination with Gulfstream.

Also, what say the surly pilots about intensive IFR training courses?  I was thinking about chipping away at the IFR training the same way I did my VFR, but I have a couple of friends who have done the intensive 10 day or 2 week courses and knocked it out.  Has anyone here done an intensive course?  Or do any of you have strong opinions about them one way or the other?

Just make sure you learn and understand the material. Flying IMC is a tried and true way to kill yourself, friends and family if you don’t know what you’re doing, and hard IMC is an unforgiving tutor. 

Btw, I had a crosswinds calculator app on my iPad when I flew then Lear. Came in real handy for mountainous airports when you were right at tail/x wind limits. 

I guess that’s what I’m asking, does anyone have experience with an immersive course that can speak to how much they actually learned/retained? It will be some time before IMC is within my personal minimums. I just believe that the IFR training will help make me a better VFR pilot and make it less intimidating should I happen upon IMC. Also, it’ll be nice to be able to go above FL18 for long x-countries.

I have a flight computer I use for x-wing calculations for sure. It’s a little more difficult to multiply the relative wind speed by the sin of the angle between my heading and the angle of that relative wind all in my head.

Just happened this afternoon. 

https://www.wspa.com/news/plane-crash-at-downtown-greenville-airport-multiple-injuries-reported/1479795027

2 dead, 2 injured in plane crash at Greenville Downtown Airport

By: 

Posted: Sep 27, 2018 02:13 PM EDT

Updated: Sep 27, 2018 03:46 PM EDT

CLICK HERE TO WATCH IN APP

Greenville County Coroner Jeff Fowler confirmed that two people died following the crash.

Greenville City Fire spokesperson Tristan Johnson confirmed that the two people who died were the pilot and the co-pilot of the plane.

Johnson said that the two people injured in the crash are married and are currently in critical condition.

Greenville Memorial Hospital officials said three people were taken to the hospital following the crash.

According to Greenville Police Department spokesperson Donnie Porter, the call about the crash came in around 1:40 p.m. Porter said the plane ran off the runway and crashed.

(Video courtesy of Matthew Decubellis)

According to a Greenville Police Department Twitter post, the roads surrounding the south side of the airport are blocked off.

An app alert from Greenville Police Department said the 

Roads surrounding the south side of the airport are currently blocked off, as an aircraft went off the runway and crashed onto Airport Road. The call came in around 1:30p.m. GPD is assisting GCFD and EMS. More details to follow. #gvlpd

According to the Federal Aviation Administration's website, the plane is registered to Global Aircraft Acquisitions LLC of Lewes Delaware. 

The plane is a Dassault-Breguet Falcon 50.

EMS crews, as well as the Greenville County Coroner's Office, have also responded to the scene.

We have a crew headed to the scene and we'll continue to update with more information as it becomes available.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:20 PM, BTW said:

I guess that’s what I’m asking, does anyone have experience with an immersive course that can speak to how much they actually learned/retained? It will be some time before IMC is within my personal minimums. I just believe that the IFR training will help make me a better VFR pilot and make it less intimidating should I happen upon IMC. Also, it’ll be nice to be able to go above FL18 for long x-countries.

I have a flight computer I use for x-wing calculations for sure. It’s a little more difficult to multiply the relative wind speed by the sin of the angle between my heading and the angle of that relative wind all in my head.

I did the 141 route so I can’t comment on the effectiveness of immersion programs. 

I just wanted to make sure you’re not using it as a shortcut. They’re probably fine as long as you treat it as a license to learn and not to us it to blast into 200-1/2 at your first opportunity in a Skyhawk. 

• Like 1