The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

On 9/28/2018 at 12:41 AM, markstanco said:

Not following here I guess. Take it back in the air on a missed, but leave it on the deck? Do tell what that means.

If you’re willing to read it, here goes. Short background. These were both failed landings at the Garrett Aireserch facility in Augusta’s Bush field (the only other facility was in Phoenix) on 1978. During that time those airframes with the TFE 731 and/or TPE 331 power plants were required to be brought in every 100 hours and gone through. Almost all of the customers were from central and or South America. You can do a quick google search and see what aircraft were equipped with these power plants. The attention of detail given to these aircraft during those scheduled maintenance programs when witnessed by even a casual observer, was to be honest, impressive. We even fabricated a test truck out of a 3500 GMC that allowed us to mount, test and validate engine performance prior to remounting on the aircraft. Basically a portable dyno.

The staff at that time was close to 100% former A/P guys from the Navy and Airforce. There were also (3) F4 pilots who also worked there and would sit in the copilots seat and verify the aircrafts performance prior to its return to its owner. Notice I said sit, not fly. They also did a lot of shuttle flying of Garretts own aircraft for the obviously high end clientele that owned these types of aircraft.

On the two flights I joked about upon (because I lived through them) occurred on runway 3. This is the runway that runs purpendicular to the main highway, and is know for occasional wind shear Alerts’s during late humid summer afternoons. Traffic control was still managed on site in the airport tower (it was shortly thereafter moved to Savannah). 

On both occasions the contracted pilots were executing their approach, everything looked good. We had three in the green and attitude, airspeed, everything good until we crossed the outer markers. It was then we felt a “push”. Followed by the aircraft  feeling as if it simply lost its airspeed and stalled, and the landing gear made hard contact against the gravel and concrete pliers that made up the leading edge of the tarmac. 

Here is the leave it in the deck part: when the possibility of: best case (all the wheels, struts, are gone, but hydraulic fluid and tank fuel can be bussed close) allowing the pilot to attempt a belly to bring it to a stop. Obvious problem is the fuel. Without a dump you are dealing with a possible fire. Vs the worst case: partial gear on one side or nose gear inoperable, struts torn and partially imbedded into the fuselage (more of a problem on the Lear then the Mitz) loss of hydraulic fluid that is pumping out on to the surface of a hot airframe. And no way to determine fuel line ruptures, avionic failure, flaps, etc. And now you are back in the air. You leave it on the fucking ground. This was by the way the findings of the ensuing investigation on both mishaps.

What actually happened is on both occasions both pilots pulled them back in the air. Not having any knowledge of the severity of the damage, including whether they would even fly at that point. 

The tower requested a fly by to try and attempt to evaluate what was hanging off, leaking from, etc. now, things may be different now. But in those days the guys fixing em, or employed by the company, even as pilots couldn’t touch the stick. Which was a big problem to us. Because we had a shit load more faith with the cat sitting in the copilot seat, who was one retired Capt. Benjamin Owen. Who had flown F4’s in Vietnam for two years. And had at least several thousand hours on the same aircraft we were in. Far more then the contractors who were at the controls.

The point of the most anxiety came after we did the flyby in the MU2. Looking at a dozen guys in white shirts and ties looking back at us. They radio us and state. Micro Alpha 281, you do not have left landing gear, repeat left gear is missing..a slight pause and then Good Luck. As we banked we saw the fire teams putting jelly across the runway. I’m talking huge tanker trucks shooting that foaming shit everywhere.

Benjemin looked straight at the pilot and gave him his options. As we flew around Augusta planning the next move and going over everything step by step we stayed over the swamp in case she just dropped. When we made the final approach we dumped the fuel, alarms went off. Emergency lighting triggered and we hit actually hit pretty soft. The problem was that the struts from the damaged gear grabbed the tarmac and shoved them up through their mounts into the hydraulic lines and electrical systems. And it spun the fucker like a top. Right tip tank jettisoned, fuselage broke, but stayed together. The spinning took us about 200’ off the runway into the adjacent field. Where all four of us walked away. 

It was a hell of a ride. And as I had been flying since 1962, it was the first time I experienced a controlled crash.

• Like 4

My brother's company makes the fancase for the GE9X, the next gen 777 engine. GE has strapped one to a 747 for testing. It dwarfs the regular 747 engines. I hope this link from aviationweek works, it was a little wonky when I tried to open it. Mute your speakers, a video self plays and I don't know how to disable that.

GE9X For Boeing 777X Delivered For Final Flying Testbed Certification

• 2 weeks later...
Painted to be the bad guy at air shows.

It’s an SNJ. Well known on the west coast air show circuit. Used to see it in Texas some back in the 80s when I was a wee lad.

Any of y’all going to the big CAF show in Dallas this weekend? I’ll try and swing by and get some pics.

Haven’t been to Wings Over Dallas, but looks like Fifi will be there and I haven’t seen her up close, so I’ma have to go.

11 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Haven’t been to Wings Over Dallas, but looks like Fifi will be there and I haven’t seen her up close, so I’ma have to go.

I went last year and it was a pretty decent airshow.  Of particular interest to Chad Jr. was a whole hangar they had set aside for kids stuff, like building small models and helicopters, etc. and a C-47 cockpit section mounted on a trailer for the kids to yank on the yoke.  I'll probably head out on Sunday and beat the church crowd.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any aircraft owners here?

I'm starting to get quasi serious about purchasing a first airplane and I soliciting strangers on the internet for advice about the 2nd most expensive liability asset I will own.

Has anyone had a partner(s) in a plane before? How was it? How did it work?

Anyone here a part of a flying club? How does that work? Are you happy? We don't have a club here where I live (west texas) but I might be willing to start one if it makes sense to do so.

Any and all advice on the topic is both welcome and appreciated.

Any aircraft owners here?
I'm starting to get quasi serious about purchasing a first airplane and I soliciting strangers on the internet for advice about the 2nd most expensive liability asset I will own.
Has anyone had a partner(s) in a plane before? How was it? How did it work?
Anyone here a part of a flying club? How does that work? Are you happy? We don't have a club here where I live (west texas) but I might be willing to start one if it makes sense to do so.
Any and all advice on the topic is both welcome and appreciated.

What's your mission?
What's your acquisition budget?
What's your annual budget?

Flying clubs here.

2 C172s and 1 c182.

$130 a month flat fee, planes range from 116 wet to 139 wet.

I'd say that's pretty average for no glass in our planes. For the amount of time I fly (5 hours a month when it isnt 140F outside), that is a lot cheaper than a purchase even with 2 partners.

https://news.sky.com/story/boeing-warns-airlines-about-equipment-failure-after-indonesia-crash-11547019

Bad AoA sensor. MAX has a feature that trims the nose full down when AoA is too high. Shame on you Boeing. That's Airbus type shit. Let the pilots fly the plane and these people are alive. I don't need your automatic intervention.

15 hours ago, Handcruser said:

What's your mission?
What's your acquisition budget?
What's your annual budget?

The mission is to get the family (and occasionally a few friends) to all points Texas and Colorado.  I have annual trips to the east and west coast, but I don't imagine the plane I can afford would get us there in an acceptable time, so I'm striking it from my wish list for now.

The budget is a bit fluid, I could go with a newer/nice c182 will glass cockpit, or an older piper malibu mirage for about the same price.  Also in the running is a bonanza B36TC. 

- I like the 182 for the low time/glass cockpit.

- I like the Mirage because it flies high, is pressurized, fast, and has a decently high useful load

- I like the Bonanza because it's fast and had a moderately high useful load

Annual budget/fixed cost is going to be close to the same for all of those planes (I believe, although the cessna will be a bit lower on the annual)

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

https://news.sky.com/story/boeing-warns-airlines-about-equipment-failure-after-indonesia-crash-11547019

Bad AoA sensor. MAX has a feature that trims the nose full down when AoA is too high. Shame on you Boeing. That's Airbus type shit. Let the pilots fly the plane and these people are alive. I don't need your automatic intervention.

Actually, the bus only limits to max angle of attack and inhibits further pitch up.  It will accelerate to alpha prot and the thrust will go to TOGA. And you an get out of that protection pretty easy if you don’t like it. 

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

That sounds like a terrible "feature".  Fuck that.

2 hours ago, BTW said:

The mission is to get the family (and occasionally a few friends) to all points Texas and Colorado.  I have annual trips to the east and west coast, but I don't imagine the plane I can afford would get us there in an acceptable time, so I'm striking it from my wish list for now.

The budget is a bit fluid, I could go with a newer/nice c182 will glass cockpit, or an older piper malibu mirage for about the same price.  Also in the running is a bonanza B36TC

I dont think I have seen a club with numerous members (10+) with a 6 place with RG.  Insurance would be ridiculous. But there may be a few.  You may be in the running for a partial ownership.

Check out Pilotsofamerica.com, there is a section for people looking for partners.  Lot of Texans on the forum. 

Edit: here is the sub:  https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/forums/aircraft-clubs-and-partnerships-buy-sell.56/

Edited by markstanco

Headed out to Tucson to catch up with my brother and see the Pima Air Museum.  Ping me if any of you guys have pic requests.  

Been jonesing to go here. I was n their website last week looking at the virtual tours. Are you touring AMARG too or no?

Pima has several KC-97Gs, those would be cool. Also the KB-50J and B-36J (this one used to be in Fort Worth, but I never saw it). SR-71 is always welcomed.

The PBY-5A, B-58A, Constellation (they have one of Eisenhower’s and a TWA), and Sikorsky Baby Clipper would be cool too, but I’ll take what I can get!

1 minute ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Been jonesing to go here. I was n their website last week looking at the virtual tours. Are you touring AMARG too or no?

Pima has several KC-97Gs, those would be cool. Also the KB-50J and B-36J (this one used to be in Fort Worth, but I never saw it). SR-71 is always welcomed.

The PBY-5A, B-58A, Constellation (they have one of Eisenhower’s and a TWA), and Sikorsky Baby Clipper would be cool too, but I’ll take what I can get!

Amarg doesn't have a tour on the weekend, but last year Chad Jr. and I did a 5K through the boneyard (they have it every year).  There are probably still pics over on the old site.  No reason to be limited to taking pics from a bus once you've run through it.   During that same visit we went to a Halloween candy give away at Pima, but I didn't get outside the one hangar they were doing the event in.  So I'm looking forward to doing with no wife/kid and someone who shares the love of planes.  

I'll post what I get here and try to take some angles that aren't on their website already.