Tell me about the University of Southern California

Zavala

Word from our guys who are connected is that it's a done deal, and that the Clown will be fired officially tomorrow or Tuesday, with Urban named HC by the end of the week.

Apparently Urban has said he specifically wants there to be a minimal gap in time between when the Clown gets fired and his hiring is announced because he wants to avoid the massive amount of media speculation that would occur if the job was open for an extended period, given how much he's already been linked to the SC job.

Hence, they're letting the Clown twist in the wind with no definitive statements about his future either way.  Notice that the response to the Si report was all sourced anonymously through reporters- no official response of any kind.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I've seen the bad version of this movie too many times with Sark and the Clown being hired, after  Coach O being passed over.  I don't want to be Charlie Brown with USC Admin being Lucy.  But the new leadership combined with the extreme level of anger among boosters, alums, etc gives me hope that this will get done the right way for once.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge,, but figured you guys would be interested in what I'm hearing, and the Shag/Surly crew has treated me well over the years.

Looking forward to both our programs getting their shit together and playing in another epic National Championship.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:54 AM, USC Traveler said:

Word from our guys who are connected is that it's a done deal, and that the Clown will be fired officially tomorrow or Tuesday, with Urban named HC by the end of the week.

Apparently Urban has said he specifically wants there to be a minimal gap in time between when the Clown gets fired and his hiring is announced because he wants to avoid the massive amount of media speculation that would occur if the job was open for an extended period, given how much he's already been linked to the SC job.

Hence, they're letting the Clown twist in the wind with no definitive statements about his future either way.  Notice that the response to the Si report was all sourced anonymously through reporters- no official response of any kind.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I've seen the bad version of this movie too many times with Sark and the Clown being hired, after  Coach O being passed over.  I don't want to be Charlie Brown with USC Admin being Lucy.  But the new leadership combined with the extreme level of anger among boosters, alums, etc gives me hope that this will get done the right way for once.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge,, but figured you guys would be interested in what I'm hearing, and the Shag/Surly crew has treated me well over the years.

Looking forward to both our programs getting their shit together and playing in another epic National Championship.

So Stoops there it is.

Edited by mulletpelini

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I wonder if Franklin told them no thanks through back channels.  Urban was a long shot for the administration, so I wonder who else would have popped up for a replacement?  maybe they go one more season with Helton and hope a bigger name comes available next fall?

I think I hear what you're saying, but what bigger name than Urban would become available next year?  Pretty much just leaves Dabo and Saban, and I don't see them going anywhere.  If they keep Helton, it's because they couldn't get Urban (for whatever reason) and any other realistic candidate would be pretty close to a lateral move from Helton, so might as well keep the continuity.  Doubt they were realistically shopping anyone other than Urban.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

any other realistic candidate would be pretty close to a lateral move from Helton, so might as well keep the continuity.  Doubt they were realistically shopping anyone other than Urban.

A literal wet paper bag should be able to get USC into the top 50 recruiting classes.

I don't follow recruiting at all, but, even if the administration thinks more highly of his coaching than everyone else, USC's current class ranking is absolutely a fire-able offense in itself. And it's insanity to let him bring in yet another group of scrubs to the program, setting them back even further..

Edited by aggie08

Currently Not Good -- 1 WR, 5 OT, 2 OG, 2 DT, 1 Kicker

USC 2020 Football Commits

National Rank  67  Prev. Yr: 20 Next Yr: 8
Pac-12 Rank. 11   Prev. Yr: 3 Next Yr: 1
Avg. Rating 0.8606  Prev. Yr: 0.8821 Next Yr: 0.9339
  • Hard Commits (11)
  • Josh Jackson Narbonne (Harbor City, CA) 
    6-0.5 / 179.  0.9034   285 49 25
    Commit 3/23/2019    WR
  • Jonah MonheimMoorpark (Moorpark, CA) 
    6-5 / 280   0.8925   341 13 28
     Commit    8/24/2019     OG
  • Jamar Sekona Marin Catholic (Greenbrae, CA) 
    6-2.5 / 303   0.8784  486 41 43
    Commit 7/30/2019. DT
  • Kobe Pepe.  St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA) 
    6-1 / 294   0.8734  545 45 50
    Commit 6/21/2019.   DT
  • Joey Wright.  Bishop Manogue (Reno, NV)
    6-6 / 297   0.8654   715 54 5
    Commit 6/16/2019   OT
  • Caadyn Stephen   Camas (Camas, WA) 
    6-5 / 295    0.8647   728 56 8
    Commit 9/4/2019   OT
  • Casey CollierBarbers Hill (MONT BELVIEU, TX)  
    6-7 / 300.   0.8465  NA 95 166
    Commit 12/2/2019   OT
  • Andrew Milek  Brophy College Preparatory (Phoenix, AZ) 
    6-6 / 295   0.8464  NA 97 28
    Commit 6/21/2019  OT
  • Andres Dewerk   Los Gatos (Los Gatos, CA) 
    6-7 / 297   0.8452 NA 98 104
    Commit 6/23/2019  OT
  • Kyle Juergens   St. Margaret's Episcopal School (San Juan Capistrano, CA) 
    6-4.5 / 241   0.8323  NA 107 139
    Commit 6/14/2019  OG
  • Parker Lewis   Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ)
    6-3 / 200   0.8183  NA 7 45
    Commit 8/5/2018    K

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Feldman corroborating. Man, their boosters must be a whole lot different than UT's.

Have you met @TrojanPrincess, sir? A finer example of informed and thoughtful booster you will never find. Also, it’s clear she was correct - Clay Helton is a saint of a man and everyone involved with USC loves him. 

• Haha 1

I've said it before, but I'm more convinced than ever now:  USC fans are basically preppie aggy. They read glossy magazines instead of feed lot signs, they dress much better, but they're still some of the most delusional people on the planet. I am so glad that we have the galling soap opera we have instead of the utterly insane one they have.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I've said it before, but I'm more convinced than ever now:  USC fans are basically preppie aggy. They read glossy magazines instead of feed lot signs, they dress much better, but they're still some of the most delusional people on the planet. I am so glad that we have the galling soap opera we have instead of the utterly insane one they have.

To be fair, they've actually won shit in the modern era and even their current Coach Potato has a Rose Bowl trophy.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

A literal wet paper bag should be able to get USC into the top 50 recruiting classes.

I don't follow recruiting at all, but, even if the administration thinks more highly of his coaching than everyone else, USC's current class ranking is absolutely a fire-able offense in itself. And it's insanity to let him bring in yet another group of scrubs to the program, setting them back even further..

This is absolutely correct. They will now move forward and sign a shitty 2020 class. And the odds are that their 2021 class is just as bad if not worse once Helton has another year of shitty recruiting leading to a transition class.

At that point their cupboard will be so bare that the list of coaches who would take the job will get even worse for them. Their administration won't need to tell them not to hire Meyer because he would tell them no anyway.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is absolutely correct. They will now move forward and sign a shitty 2020 class. And the odds are that their 2021 class is just as bad if not worse once Helton has another year of shitty recruiting leading to a transition class.

At that point their cupboard will be so bare that the list of coaches who would take the job will get even worse for them. Their administration won't need to tell them not to hire Meyer because he would tell them no anyway.

Maybe, but there are 3 schools with more competitive advantages than the rest of CFB - Texas, USC, and Miami. LA, the academic prestige, the program prestige, the women, the natural recruiting territory and advantages - I mean, any decent coach should be able to win 10+ a year at any of those three schools. It’s fucking crazy that all 3 suck at the same time right now. I guess the lack of a commitment to football by the academic side and the legacy issues with the school and the sexual assault scandal make it less attractive currently, so maybe that is a drawback. 

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Wonder if ol Urban decided not to take the USC job... Just used offer as leverage to get more money from FOX.

Urban gonna get PAID by FOX... 😁 

The Bush, Leinart, Urbs pregame show is actually moving the needle against GameDay, which has reigned supreme forever.  It may be time for ESPN to gently lead Corso out behind the woodshed and put him out of his misery.  Actually it was time about 5 years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Bush, Leinart, Urbs pregame show is actually moving the needle against GameDay, which has reigned supreme forever.  It may be time for ESPN to gently lead Corso out behind the woodshed and put him out of his misery.  Actually it was time about 5 years ago.

It's just gotten sad at this point.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

As much as I hold grudges against all those people.  The Fox pregamers actually discuss the games beyond throwing out picks with accompanying football platitudes.

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

As much as I hold grudges against all those people.  The Fox pregamers actually discuss the games beyond throwing out picks with accompanying football platitudes.

Gotta agree. Wouldn't want any of them as neighbors, but I far prefer watching them to most of the other alternatives out there these days.

59 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm convinced that corso gone will seriously kill him. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Their fan base is rioting.  Will be interesting to see what happens with Graham now.   And yeah, put me in the camp that this means they were told they can't hire Urban.

More like Urban wants to silently bask in the team he put together and the MNC that should have been his, and is working on his contract points to replace FUTH next year.   USC recruiting has been in a nosedive, 20th last year and 60s this year with an 84.06 avg, woof.  That's not "the class is tiny but talented", that's just bad.   11 commits, half are Ots, so basically polar opposite of aggy.

Meanwhile,, UT has a lot of young talent and UMs agent can keep the recruiting hot by getting an early start on the rumor mill.  A lot of posters who aren't thrilled about an Ash hire will be more than pleased when he's retained by the next coach.  

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Agreed- this is program suicide.  Besides the recruiting disaster, revenue is going to plunge.  Season tickets will take another big drop (I gave mine up after last year) and so will donations.  There are so many big donors who are furious.  The post mortem makes it sound like this was a boosters vs admin fight.  This is like  a bad dream.

The last decade has been a complete debacle- not giving Ed O the job after he did a fantastic job as the interim considering the circumstances (no depth due to scholarship restrictions), and then hiring fucking Sark and Clown Helton.  I couldn't believe it when they hired him after an unimpressive run as the interim, and I can't believe he's getting another year.

What a complete joke.  Hopefully you guys land GH, as that will send the SC offense back into Helton's Gumbo Special.  I'm hoping for 0-12 next year.  Whatever it takes to get rid of this imbecile at this point.

Fun comment from this article: https://www.conquestchronicles.com/football/2019/12/4/20996109/clay-helton-retained-as-uscs-head-coach

As a Colorado alum, our football team has always been a relatively up and down affair (sometimes successful, sometimes not but generally respected and hard playing)… until Bohn arrived in 2005. As the AD at Colorado, football under Mike Bohn "enjoyed" the following seasons:
2005: 7-6
2006: 2-10
2007: 6-7
2008: 5-7
2009: 3-9
2010: 5-7
2011: 3-10
2012: 1-11
2013: 4-8
2014: 2-10
Combined record: 38-85

Note that only the first season had a "winning" record… be careful, he’s going to drive the Trojans into the eternal depths of mediocrity.