Tell me about the University of Southern California

Zavala

15 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I'm not sure Helton is any good but it tends to look shitty for a school to fire a coach after an under-performing season with a true freshman QB at the helm.

Something about having $15 million guaranteed to Helton if he were fired might have something to do with him getting another year.

40 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I'm not sure Helton is any good but it tends to look shitty for a school to fire a coach after an under-performing season with a true freshman QB at the helm.

Who manages the qb roster? 

He's in his third year, so it's not exactly like he hasn't had the ability to do something about that. 

It's weird. USC has fired a bevy of assistant coaches but it doesn't really feel like a true rebuild is happening. Helton is still there, Pendergast the DC is still there... Hiring Kliff would probably give USC worrying inroads into Texas recruiting but their roster isn't built for a transition to the Air Raid at all.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:54 PM, berlinerbaer said:

Under-performing is 8-5, 5-7 and being clown-stomped in the process is an unmitigated disaster. The 2 years Swann referenced were successful in spite of the coaching staff, not because of them. Sam Darnold hid a ton of shortcomings. The Rose Bowl victory was a 3rd quarter meltdown followed by a 4th quarter miracle. The 10-win season includes a beat down by Bama and an ass-reaming by an Ohio State. Playing an 18 year-old freshman was his call, despite having 2 other QBs. When you only score 7-10 points in most second halves, you suck. Helton being retained is a big-ole “FU” to the alumni and fans.

Just now, USC_TMB said:

Under-performing is 8-5, 5-7 and being clown-stomped in the process is an unmitigated disaster. The 2 years Swann referenced were successful in spite of the coaching staff, not because of them. Sam Darnold hid a ton of shortcomings. The Rose Bowl victory was a 3rd quarter meltdown followed by a 4th quarter miracle. The 10-win season includes a beat down by Bama and an ass-reaming by an Ohio State. Playing an 18 year-old freshman was his call, despite having 2 other QBs. When you only score 7-10 points in most second halves, you suck. Helton being retained is a big-ole “FU” to the alumni and fans.

Is Kliff to USC happening?

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Is Kliff to USC happening?

Beats the hell out of me.  Swann and Helton could screw up a 2-man parade.  Whether he can get an NFL offer is the big issue. After getting let go by Tech, I don't know how many head coach offers he'd get. A stint at USC as OC might get him to the league faster (?).  I would be for the hire since Helton could not run an offense to save his life. It would be nice to score more than 14 points a game. My guess would be that J.T. Daniels would not be able to run his offense, so hopefully Sears and Fink don't transfer out.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:53 PM, satyanash said:

It's weird. USC has fired a bevy of assistant coaches but it doesn't really feel like a true rebuild is happening. Helton is still there, Pendergast the DC is still there... Hiring Kliff would probably give USC worrying inroads into Texas recruiting but their roster isn't built for a transition to the Air Raid at all.

What does USC lack to run Air Raid?  A bunch of slow white guys?

For those people who don't think JT Daniels has any future based on this year, here are his stats:

SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA LNG TD INT SACK RAT RAW QBR ADJ QBR
2018 216 363 2672 59.5 7.36 65 14 10 25 128.6 52.9

Here are Sam's stats from last year as a Freshman, does anyone doubt Sam would be a beast in Kingsbury's offense?

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2017 Texas Big 12 FR QB 9 158 275 57.5 1915 7.0 6.6 11 7 124.1

On 11/29/2018 at 3:51 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Their fans are as annoying as Golden State fans.  Or at least they used to be.  Now, I don't hear a peep from the 'hardcore' fans that talked shit nonstop 15 years ago.   

Oh they still talk shit. I went to school with a bunch of them. They think Texas is a faux blue blood and make fun of our team and our fans at every turn. One of my buddies had no idea UT claims 4 national titles.

They are still tremendously salty about '05 and the ass whipping we handed them in September only made it saltier.

They barely support their team they just bitch and moan when they suck and act pretentious when they don't. They think every player out of LA is the second coming of Steve Smith, Troy Palomalu, Matt Leinart, Bush etc.

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Oh they still talk shit. I went to school with a bunch of them. They think Texas is a faux blue blood and make fun of our team and our fans at every turn. One of my buddies had no idea UT claims 4 national titles.

They are still tremendously salty about '05 and the ass whipping we handed them in September only made it saltier.

They barely support their team they just bitch and moan when they suck and act pretentious when they don't. They think every player out of LA is the second coming of Steve Smith, Troy Palomalu, Matt Leinart, Bush etc.

Would it impress them more and pulled an aggy (or Alabama) and put these "on the wall"?

1. 1914

I'm not big on schools claiming national titles in the pre-poll area (the Associated Press first named a national champion in 1936), but if the Longhorns wanted to claim one then this would be one they could rightfully claim. Illinois was awarded the national title that year by college football historian Parke H. Davis with a 7-0 record and the Illini claim 1914 as a national title season.

However, Army was awarded the title that season for a 9-0 record by four entities. West Point doesn't claim that title and neither does Texas as the Longhorns went 8-0 under head coach Dave Allerdice and were awarded a share of the title by the Billingsley Report.

The Longhorns allowed only three touchdowns that season and outscored their opponents by a total of 358-21 on the season. Perhaps only beating Haskell by a count of 23-7 failed to impress the pollsters.

2. 1941

The team coached by Dana X. Bible finished 8-1-1 on the season and climbed to No. 1 in the AP poll following a 34-0 shutout win over SMU on Nov. 1. However, the next two weeks saw the Longhorns tie Baylor in Waco and fall to TCU, 14-7, in Austin.

Texas then went on the road and beat Texas A&M, 23-0, before blasting Oregon, 71-7, to close out the season. The Longhorns finished fourth in the in AP poll but were awarded a share of the national title by the Berryman and Wilson polling systems, though the school doesn't claim 1941 as a championship year.

Alabama, awarded a share of the title by the Houlgate polling system, claims 1941 as a championship season despite the fact that the Crimson Tide finished third in the Southeastern Conference and No. 20 in the AP poll.

3. 1964

Texas wasn't awarded a share of the title by any of the polls in this season but should have been given a share. Both the AP and UPI awarded their championships before the bowl games were played, meaning Alabama had already wrapped up the title according to the two major polls by the time the Crimson Tide faced Texas in the Orange Bowl.

The Longhorns had a goal line stand against Joe Namath that allowed Texas to hang onto a 21-17 victory, but Texas' 10-1 record wasn't enough to get the Longhorns a share of the title. That's because Arkansas, who beat Texas 14-13 in Austin in October, was voted by the Football Writers Association of America and the Helms Athletic Foundation to earn a share of the title.

Michigan (9-1) and Notre Dame (9-1) also earned shares of the title, but not Texas. The one-point loss to the Razorbacks kept the Longhorns from what would have been a repeat (and likely a consensus) national championship.

4. 1977

There's no question that if the Longhorns had handled their business against Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl that Fred Akers would have won the national title outright in his debut season as coach of the Longhorns and Earl Campbell would have put an exclamation point on a Heisman-winning season. Thanks to a 38-10 loss to the Fighting Irish, those things didn't happen.

Notre Dame, led by Joe Montana, was named champion by the AP and the UPI, but the Longhorns got a share of the title according to the Berryman, Rothman and Sagarin polling systems. Arkansas and Alabama were also named champions by one polling system each, which was byproduct of the Longhorns, Fighting Irish, Crimson Tide and Razorbacks being four of six one-loss teams who believed they had a claim to the title.

Even if Texas wanted to claim the title, it wouldn't change what a lot of Longhorn fans felt as they watched what should have been a coronation in Dallas turn into a disaster.

5. 1981

A 10-1-1 finish was capped with a 14-12 victory over No. 3-ranked Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. The Longhorns were ranked No. 1 during the regular season but suffered a 42-11 beating at the hands of Arkansas, only to climb back into the top-five a few weeks later and tie Houston, 14-14.

The Longhorns did win three straight to win the Southwest Conference title, which was awarded to Texas since SMU was on probation. Texas' victory over Alabama was part of another crazy New Year's Day that resulted in Clemson winning the Orange Bowl and being crowned as champions by the AP and the UPI.

Texas was one of six teams awarded a share of the national title – the Longhorns were recognized by the National Championship Foundation – and finished No. 2 in the AP poll.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/How-many-national-titles-can-the-Texas-Longhorns-claim-28834307/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Would it impress them more and pulled an aggy (or Alabama) and put these "on the wall"?

1. 1914

I'm not big on schools claiming national titles in the pre-poll area (the Associated Press first named a national champion in 1936), but if the Longhorns wanted to claim one then this would be one they could rightfully claim. Illinois was awarded the national title that year by college football historian Parke H. Davis with a 7-0 record and the Illini claim 1914 as a national title season.

However, Army was awarded the title that season for a 9-0 record by four entities. West Point doesn't claim that title and neither does Texas as the Longhorns went 8-0 under head coach Dave Allerdice and were awarded a share of the title by the Billingsley Report.

The Longhorns allowed only three touchdowns that season and outscored their opponents by a total of 358-21 on the season. Perhaps only beating Haskell by a count of 23-7 failed to impress the pollsters.

2. 1941

The team coached by Dana X. Bible finished 8-1-1 on the season and climbed to No. 1 in the AP poll following a 34-0 shutout win over SMU on Nov. 1. However, the next two weeks saw the Longhorns tie Baylor in Waco and fall to TCU, 14-7, in Austin.

Texas then went on the road and beat Texas A&M, 23-0, before blasting Oregon, 71-7, to close out the season. The Longhorns finished fourth in the in AP poll but were awarded a share of the national title by the Berryman and Wilson polling systems, though the school doesn't claim 1941 as a championship year.

Alabama, awarded a share of the title by the Houlgate polling system, claims 1941 as a championship season despite the fact that the Crimson Tide finished third in the Southeastern Conference and No. 20 in the AP poll.

3. 1964

Texas wasn't awarded a share of the title by any of the polls in this season but should have been given a share. Both the AP and UPI awarded their championships before the bowl games were played, meaning Alabama had already wrapped up the title according to the two major polls by the time the Crimson Tide faced Texas in the Orange Bowl.

The Longhorns had a goal line stand against Joe Namath that allowed Texas to hang onto a 21-17 victory, but Texas' 10-1 record wasn't enough to get the Longhorns a share of the title. That's because Arkansas, who beat Texas 14-13 in Austin in October, was voted by the Football Writers Association of America and the Helms Athletic Foundation to earn a share of the title.

Michigan (9-1) and Notre Dame (9-1) also earned shares of the title, but not Texas. The one-point loss to the Razorbacks kept the Longhorns from what would have been a repeat (and likely a consensus) national championship.

4. 1977

There's no question that if the Longhorns had handled their business against Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl that Fred Akers would have won the national title outright in his debut season as coach of the Longhorns and Earl Campbell would have put an exclamation point on a Heisman-winning season. Thanks to a 38-10 loss to the Fighting Irish, those things didn't happen.

Notre Dame, led by Joe Montana, was named champion by the AP and the UPI, but the Longhorns got a share of the title according to the Berryman, Rothman and Sagarin polling systems. Arkansas and Alabama were also named champions by one polling system each, which was byproduct of the Longhorns, Fighting Irish, Crimson Tide and Razorbacks being four of six one-loss teams who believed they had a claim to the title.

Even if Texas wanted to claim the title, it wouldn't change what a lot of Longhorn fans felt as they watched what should have been a coronation in Dallas turn into a disaster.

5. 1981

A 10-1-1 finish was capped with a 14-12 victory over No. 3-ranked Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. The Longhorns were ranked No. 1 during the regular season but suffered a 42-11 beating at the hands of Arkansas, only to climb back into the top-five a few weeks later and tie Houston, 14-14.

The Longhorns did win three straight to win the Southwest Conference title, which was awarded to Texas since SMU was on probation. Texas' victory over Alabama was part of another crazy New Year's Day that resulted in Clemson winning the Orange Bowl and being crowned as champions by the AP and the UPI.

Texas was one of six teams awarded a share of the national title – the Longhorns were recognized by the National Championship Foundation – and finished No. 2 in the AP poll.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/How-many-national-titles-can-the-Texas-Longhorns-claim-28834307/

I actually don't think it's terribly wrong, to think of claiming past titles the NCAA recognizes... Hell, just off of UT & OU, the league could go from both bluebloods having 4 & 7 respectively, to 9 & 17 each..! #WhoaNelly.!! 

18 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I actually don't think it's terribly wrong, to think of claiming past titles the NCAA recognizes... Hell, just off of UT & OU, the league could go from both bluebloods having 4 & 7 respectively, to 9 & 17 each..! #WhoaNelly.!! 

Please tell me kopp0e, on what fucking planet could the Sooners claim 17 titles. I mean Christ I get you're biased but don't go full retard here. 

And before you correct me, no Texas fan is claiming 9 national titles. 

Edited by ztejas