Tell me about the University of Southern California

Zavala

On 5/19/2023 at 3:34 PM, Frieda’s Boss said:

Their AD just announced he’s resigning effective immediately. 

https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/story/2023-05-19/usc-athletic-director-mike-bohn-resigns

probably because he couldn’t convince Riley to can the Grinch. 

Second paragraph of that article tells me all I need to know.

"Bohn made inappropriate comments about the physical appearance of female colleagues, including remarks about their dress, hair and weight, that staff members said made them feel uncomfortable"

You can make remarks about hair and clothes but once you point out they are a few dozen pounds over weight..

16 minutes ago, redswingline said:

If admins at USC valued that, they were short sighted at best. What made them think Oregon was just going to sit on their hands?

Because they were desperate in both the coaching search and the conference move.  Even renting LR for a few years puts them in a better position than they were in before, especially in a better conference.

55 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Because they were desperate in both the coaching search and the conference move.  Even renting LR for a few years puts them in a better position than they were in before, especially in a better conference.

when LR gets returned to the store, who is the next renter?

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Was he also the architect?

Maybe not the architect if record, but he was the driving force behind that abortion of a remodel. When the concept renderings were unveiled, the consensus was “ who the fuck came up with this?”.  The first thing anyone with eyesight noticed was the craptacular view lines from the seats at the edge of Haden’s Tower. Not to mention how longtime seat holders got screwed out of their locations.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams make it so easy to dislike them. I love seeing them lose. 

Edit: Especially Caleb, him sulking on the bench all alone after the loss. Nice to see him get knocked down a peg or two, his ego is too much. 

Edited by DreadHead
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😎😎🤣😎😎😎😎🤣🤣🤣😎🤣🤣🤣🤣😎🤣

12 minutes ago, DreadHead said:

Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams make it so easy to dislike them. I love seeing them lose. 

Edit: Especially Caleb, him sulking on the bench all alone after the loss. Nice to see him get knocked down a peg or two, his ego is too much. 

Imagine liking them?  People here do

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn’t care that Riley and company took off for the coast. What bothered me was I got the impression they thought it would be the easiest path to a title. They got the press, the commercials, then the work began. To witness them having to accept there is no short cuts entertains me.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Lincoln Riley says USC has NIL figured out now

After landing five defensive commitments over the weekend, Lincoln Riley said USC's NIL has "taken some monster leaps over the last several months."

ZACH BARNETT     MAR 27, 2024

Back in 2020, when NIL rules were approved but had yet to go into effect, I wrote about how USC was uniquely positioned to become the school of the new era. Turns out, that take was a bit ahead of its time.

USC apologized for the video that inspired that article, and as recently as 2022, the LA Times wrote about how Trojans boosters started a collective against the athletics department's wishes. 

Fast forward to 2024. Clay Helton is gone, as is Mike Bohn. So is the Pac-12. And whether it be through new leadership, a new conference, or just the right amount of success and failure under Lincoln Riley, USC says they've found the right ingredients to finally get NIL kicking in Los Angeles.

"NIL has taken some monster leaps in the last several months, which has been positive," Riley told USCFootball.com. "I think for everybody, our fanbase and supporters, it's just been gaining an understanding of what it is and how it's not important, it's imperative. You have to have it. Last year, it was okay. It was great kind of outside of the whole collective world. Being in LA, our guys probably get more outside deals than anybody in the country, which is awesome. But we need the support to be right there with that too with our donors and our collectives. That has taken some massive, massive jumps here in the last several months."

The comments come after the best recruiting weekend of the Riley era. 

The Trojans flipped 5-star defensive lineman Justus Terry from Georgia, who also happens to be from Georgia, and landed 4-star D-lineman Isaiah Gibson, another Georgian, plus 4-star Floridian safety Hylton Stubbs and 4-star Texan defensive lineman Gus Cordova. 2026 defensive back Dominick Kelly, another Floridian, also pledged to USC. 

Pitching for NIL donations is kind of like my father-in-law's view on Bitcoin. When things are good, it means it's time to buy more. And when things are bad... it means it's time to buy more. 

"It's got to keep up, like any part of this," Riley said. "If you want things to get better, you've got to do something about it. Behaviors have to change. You have to tear down things and build new facilities. You have to bring more money in. You have to bring in great coaches. You have to raise more NIL. You've got to keep pushing the issue, and we're trying to do that here."

One good recruiting weekend resulting in a handful of commits won't take USC from 8-5 to national championship contenders. 

USC's offense will always recruit itself to an extent as long as Riley is in charge. So if the Trojans can close the gap on defense with better coaching (four new coaches on that side of the ball) and a weaponized NIL, the Sons of Troy's future might finally be as bright as I thought it was back in 2020.

• 4 weeks later...

Lincoln Riley gets Matt Leinart to help USC add former star WR Mike Williams to staff

JOHN BRICE          APR 19, 2024

Calling it a move for all former USC Trojans, Lincoln Riley welcomed 2003 All-American wideout Mike Williams back into the USC program in a rather unique way Friday afternoon: Riley looped in Williams's former quarterback, Matt Leinart, for a FaceTime call during which Williams learned he was being hired.

Williams is set to become USC's new director of player personnel.

"Listen, man, I know we've been talking a lot about this player development job, I thought what better than to have a guy that delivered a lot of touchdowns to you and a lot of big plays," Riley said on the call. "He's got one more ball here for you, one more opportunity for you here man." 

Leinart then delivered the news to an overjoyed Williams.

"You are by far one of the greatest Trojans of all time and one of the best college football players of all time," Leinart said. "Coach and I talked about this a little bit and he kind of asked about you and I just said, 'Mike is one of the greatest dudes ever.'

Williams couldn't hold back.

"God is good. ... I'm not going to let you down," he said. "Thank you for giving me the opportunity. ... I'm about to go into the hallway and tell my son.

"I can't tell you enough how excited I am."

Added Riley, "This is for all the former players, man. This is for all of them."

USC, which exited a disappointing second season under Riley at 8-5, opens its 2024 season Sept. 1 against LSU in Las Vegas at Allegiant Stadium.

The Trojans wrap up their spring camp Saturday with the program's annual spring football game.