Tell me about the University of Southern California

Zavala

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. no way an AD is gonna try and convince his donors that this is the best SC can do

image.png.a4d1a28c44c7c2fa2fafdab9bf4e4721.png

unless.....you get a guarantee that his daughter has to perform yoga  in the AD office a minimum of 4 days a week......wearing the song girl outfit

Lainie Fritz on Twitter: "When u hustle always make it fancy✨… "

In which case its probably worth it, cause it will take at least a year to get fired, and thats a lot of yoga.

4F012057-2C89-46D8-AA41-92165E339AD4.jpeg.774cc4cb2bb94b5c3dc26715e9b58eec.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. no way an AD is gonna try and convince his donors that this is the best SC can do

image.png.a4d1a28c44c7c2fa2fafdab9bf4e4721.png

unless.....you get a guarantee that his daughter has to perform yoga  in the AD office a minimum of 4 days a week......wearing the song girl outfit

Lainie Fritz on Twitter: "When u hustle always make it fancy✨… "

In which case its probably worth it, cause it will take at least a year to get fired, and thats a lot of yoga.

Both of those embeds would get you a contract extension at 95% of the D1 schools.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, Cincy is fucking paradise.  There are no good neighborhoods in L.A. for a guy making 4 million + per year. 

Fickell isn’t moving to L.A. Not a chance in hell. With UC moving to the Big 12 he can sit tight until something closer to home opens up. Maybe even the Ohio State job. Or maybe ND. A devout Catholic who likes his church and whose greatest asset as a recruiter is an intimate knowledge of Ohio high school players and coaches is probably not a good fit at USC. He’d take the call but he wouldn’t take the job.

’Duh...money money money’ isn’t a reliable way to predict everyone’s behavior.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fickell isn’t moving to L.A. Not a chance in hell. With UC moving to the Big 12 he can sit tight until something closer to home opens up. Maybe even the Ohio State job. Or maybe ND. A devout Catholic who likes his church and whose greatest asset as a recruiter is an intimate knowledge of Ohio high school players and coaches is probably not a good fit at USC. He’d take the call but he wouldn’t take the job.

Clearly you’ve never seen a rich family Quincineara at Caruso on the campus at USC. 

7 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fickell is making $3.4m. let's say they basically double it and pay him $6m, you don't think that changes the math?

If he is going to wait around for the ND or tOSU or Penn State job to open up he may be waiting a while and leaving literally $2-3 million on the table every year. let's say ND opens up in 2 years - you think he is ok with leaving a minimum of $4 million on the table?

Come on man. This isn't him leaving for the Michigan job!

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

Fickell is making $3.4m. let's say they basically double it and pay him $6m, you don't think that changes the math?

If he is going to wait around for the ND or tOSU or Penn State job to open up he may be waiting a while and leaving literally $2-3 million on the table every year. let's say ND opens up in 2 years - you think he is ok with leaving a minimum of $4 million on the table?

To add on... he can still wait for a job like Ohio State or ND... but why not do it making bank at USC in the meantime.  Consider it a multi-year family vacation.

Either way though he's in line for a multi-million dollar raise this year to whoever wants him more.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

He probably gets further on 3.4 M in Cincinnati than he does with 6.8 M in LA. yes, it's that expensive.  Just talking about housing.  Obviously a 2 million dollar house in LA is still "nice."   I'd imagine a 2 M dollar house in a Cincy suburb is extravagant.

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, ousux said:
15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:
USC is old money.  Oregon is new money. 
There are only a handful of legit blue-bloods.  USC is one of them. Oregon will never be. 

Does blue blood status live forever? In 50 years (assuming the game continues that long) will Meatchicken and UT still be considered blue bloods if neither has won or even sniffed another championship?

I can only speak from a basketball standpoint obviously but the rules are basically this in the modern era:

1. If you aren’t a blue blood you cannot become a blue blood. No one believes Michigan state is a blue blood. 
2. You don’t need to win championships to be a blue blood but you need to win a lot of games and 90+% of the time be at the top of your conference. 
3. If #2 doesn’t happen for an extended period of time you go “dormant” and many people will not consider you a blue blood at the moment. This can be turned around with one championship/final 4 season followed by a few more years of consistent success but you will be teetering on the edge for years until you show CONTINUITY within the program. 

in general, I’d say continuity is the best way to maintain blue blood status. A revolving door of coaching and inconsistent talent level on the roster will diminish your status in the public’s mind. 
4. The media will always consider a blue blood a blue blood because the media deals in wonder of the past and not the reality of now. Indiana basketball was in the verge of being back in the early 00’s but is a dormant blue blood still. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ebd7cddc46631ae594a05dd9fa5547b9.jpg

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

The area around USC has been a shithole for decades.  That didn't stop them from winning MNC's and recruiting Heisman caliber players.  

But, recruiting future Heisman candidates from local high schools is much easier than fighting a cult of plague victims who were turned into nocturnal albino mutants. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

No, I don’t. Fickell has never been a guy who was in a rush to move up the coaching ladder. He turned down other job offers before taking the UC job. ‘Duh...money money money’ isn’t a motivating factor for everyone. I’ve followed Luke’s career since he was a player at tOSU. I regularly hear commentary about him from players who played for him. I’d wager my predictions against yours every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

In 2011, when Jim Tressel was supposed to be suspended for five games, they named Fick the interim head coach to handle media responsibilities, etc. in the meantime. They did that because Jim Heacock (whose brother John is currently DC at ISU) was Co-DC but was superior to Luke in the hierarchy. Then Tressel got fired and Luke got stuck with the head coaching job.

Luke admitted that he wasn’t ready to be a head coach. He was happy being a coordinator for his alma mater. And he was placed in an impossible situation. Tressel was the de facto offensive coordinator and QB coach and Luke wasn’t in a position to fire anyone on that side of the ball. All he could do was to hire Mike Vrabel to fill his position on the defensive coaching staff. The head of the snake had been cut off and as much as we would’ve liked to see Fickell succeed as head coach, it just wasn’t going to happen. The program was in a state of despair.

Here’s a story I haven’t shared here before but Luke wasn’t a fan of Tom Herman. Tom was a guy eager to get ahead. According to Luke, by way of James Laurinaitis, every time ESPN showed up on campus Tom would make sure to go introduce himself to every producer and broadcaster and make himself known. Luke just focused on doing his job.

I wouldn’t expect Luke to leave the Midwest. I think he’d most like to take the Ohio State job. I think he’d take the Notre Dame or Penn State jobs if either of them came open. I’m too biased to even consider him taking the Michigan job but I’d like to think he’d never consider that. That would make me very sad. 

37 minutes ago, GTX Horn said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Franklin got a serious look here. If I’m not mistaken there’s been talk connecting him and USC the past few years when Helton’s seat was hot.

I have some PSU big booster friends (poor life choices, I know). They expect this to happen. Only kicker is Franklin currently has the #1 recruiting class int he country coming to Happy Valley. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

[in 2011] The program was in a state of despair.

in the 5 years before 2011 (06-10 seasons) tOSU went 56-8 and won 87.5% of their games, played in 2 national championships, won 5 B10 championships and their average finish was 5.2 in AP poll

in the 5 years after 2011 (12-16), tOSU went 61-6 and won 91.0% of their games, won (or tied) for their division championship 5 times, won a national championship, and had an avg AP poll finish of 5.6

the program had a jacked up year in 2011 with suspensions and everything else going on but it was far from a "state of disrepair"! come the fuck on.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

in the 5 years before 2011 (06-10 seasons) tOSU went 56-8 and won 87.5% of their games, played in 2 national championships, won 5 B10 championships and their average finish was 5.2 in AP poll

in the 5 years after 2011 (12-16), tOSU went 61-6 and won 91.0% of their games, won (or tied) for their division championship 5 times, won a national championship, and had an avg AP poll finish of 5.6

the program had a jacked up year in 2011 with suspensions and everything else going on but it was far from a "state of disrepair"! come the fuck on.

Don’t try to lecture me on Ohio State football, Bubba. You’re out of your league. The word was “despair” and referred specifically to the 2011 season. It wasn’t “disrepair.”

Nice try, though. I’m going to resist the temptation to call you a moron. 

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Don’t try to lecture me on Ohio State football, Bubba. You’re out of your league. The word was “despair” and referred specifically to the 2011 season. It wasn’t “disrepair.”

Nice try, though. I’m going to resist the temptation to call you a moron. 

yeah that's my bad.

dispair != disrepair

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, MrBig said:

USC is a perfect fit for Tom. Other there in California they’ll drool over his Mensa literary references on why they’re losing all the fucking time.

From our $9.95er

Spoiler

There’s one potential candidate that makes sense, in many ways. He might not necessarily create the initial buzz USC fans might crave, but he could be a long-term good hire – and that’s Tom Herman, the ex-Texas coach, and a current offensive analyst with the Chicago Bears. He was fired in January from Texas, never really getting the traction there to take the program to the next level after some considerable success coaching at Houston. Herman is originally from Simi Valley and went to Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks, so he has some strong ties to SoCal. He’s also the type of recruiter that would flourish at USC, and he’s a very good offensive coach. He’d also be able to immediately start negotiating with USC, since he wouldn’t have to wait until the end of the season because he’s not a head coach.

Herman, I think, could be a formidable pick by USC. Yes, he didn’t get it done at Texas, and Texas and USC are similar animals. Texas is basically run by its donors, and USC is similar but Herman would know what he was getting into this time and he’s the type that would be able to accommodate it.

The USC donor and fan base are absolutely craving a big-splash, big-named hire, and Herman probably wouldn’t go over well – being billed as a Texas reject. If the hiring-powers-that-be could see past that, and tolerate that storm, Herman seems like the candidate, from what we’ve heard, that fits so many criteria, and he’d probably prove to be good for USC in the long run.

Gotta be trolling.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, MoJames said:

All the USC fans are stating Urban going to drop his Jax gig to join.

Is that what we looked like?

shame embarassed GIF

Sorry, but yeah.  There was a MANY page thread on shaggy about stealing Saban away during one of Texas' many coaching searches.  With some claiming it was a done deal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

At some point, additional money becomes less important relative to other factors. $3.4m is plenty to stand pat with if he doesn't like the fit of a program offering more. I don't know much about Fickell, so not sure how he views his fit at USC. Otherwise, USC is as good as it gets.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

At some point, additional money becomes less important relative to other factors. $3.4m is plenty to stand pat with if he doesn't like the fit of a program offering more. I don't know much about Fickell, so not sure how he views his fit at USC. Otherwise, USC is as good as it gets.

Yeah, his wife is a midwestern gal, they have 6 kids, are devout Catholics.  LA and the SC booster scene is only worth so much.  I don't see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

He probably gets further on 3.4 M in Cincinnati than he does with 6.8 M in LA. yes, it's that expensive.  Just talking about housing.  Obviously a 2 million dollar house in LA is still "nice."   I'd imagine a 2 M dollar house in a Cincy suburb is extravagant.

According to salary.com the cost of living is 57.8% higher in LA than in cincy. This appears to be inclusive of all taxes, including income, sales, property, etc. 

doubling his salary doesn’t move the needle from what I’m seeing based on 2.75 minutes of really basic research. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

From our $9.95er

Hide contents

There’s one potential candidate that makes sense, in many ways. He might not necessarily create the initial buzz USC fans might crave, but he could be a long-term good hire – and that’s Tom Herman, the ex-Texas coach, and a current offensive analyst with the Chicago Bears. He was fired in January from Texas, never really getting the traction there to take the program to the next level after some considerable success coaching at Houston. Herman is originally from Simi Valley and went to Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks, so he has some strong ties to SoCal. He’s also the type of recruiter that would flourish at USC, and he’s a very good offensive coach. He’d also be able to immediately start negotiating with USC, since he wouldn’t have to wait until the end of the season because he’s not a head coach.

Herman, I think, could be a formidable pick by USC. Yes, he didn’t get it done at Texas, and Texas and USC are similar animals. Texas is basically run by its donors, and USC is similar but Herman would know what he was getting into this time and he’s the type that would be able to accommodate it.

The USC donor and fan base are absolutely craving a big-splash, big-named hire, and Herman probably wouldn’t go over well – being billed as a Texas reject. If the hiring-powers-that-be could see past that, and tolerate that storm, Herman seems like the candidate, from what we’ve heard, that fits so many criteria, and he’d probably prove to be good for USC in the long run.

Gotta be trolling.

Herman to USC and Sark to UT. Strange fucking times we live in when two crap coaches effectively swap preeminent jobs. Maybe they’ll meet at the Idaho potatoes bowl in a winner take all to go 8-5!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

According to salary.com the cost of living is 57.8% higher in LA than in cincy. This appears to be inclusive of all taxes, including income, sales, property, etc. 

doubling his salary doesn’t move the needle from what I’m seeing based on 2.75 minutes of really basic research. 

Yeah, look up what a million dollar house in LA looks like vs Cincinnati.  He's rich regardless, but I think even Sark made a quip about the housing prices of Austin vs Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I mostly agree, but COL only applies to money spent to live. If you  “spend” 1mil a year in Cincinnati vs 2mil in L.A., the rest of your take home is investable.

39 minutes ago, pops said:

Urban has headaches around week 7. Has to quit jax for health concerns. Named usc head coach January 2022

SC is currently paying out a Billion dollars to women for a sex abuse settlement reached back in March. No way they are able to hire Meyer all things considered. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/breaking-university-southern-californias-11-billion-sex-abuse/story?id=76713012  

19 hours ago, ousux said:
19 hours ago, Gil Bang said:
USC is old money.  Oregon is new money. 
There are only a handful of legit blue-bloods.  USC is one of them. Oregon will never be. 

Does blue blood status live forever? In 50 years (assuming the game continues that long) will Meatchicken and UT still be considered blue bloods if neither has won or even sniffed another championship?

Not if I don't see Bum McClung or Pudge Heffelfinger walking through that door.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, pops said:

Urban has headaches around week 7. Has to quit jax for health concerns. Named usc head coach January 2022

I just don't buy this happening. USC is a harder job than dicking around with an NFL bottom feeder. Jacksonville could sue him if he pulled that stunt. 

3 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

SC is currently paying out a Billion dollars to women for a sex abuse settlement reached back in March. No way they are able to hire Meyer all things considered. 

https://abcnews.go.com/US/breaking-university-southern-californias-11-billion-sex-abuse/story?id=76713012  

Are you under the impression that the athletic department budget is contributing to that settlement? All it takes is the right number of SC athletic boosters deciding they want to pay Urbans asking price and they stroke a check. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Are you under the impression that the athletic department budget is contributing to that settlement? All it takes is the right number of SC athletic boosters deciding they want to pay Urbans asking price and they stroke a check. 

Not at all. Universities typically don't want to risk more controversy when they are in the middle of similar controversy. Especially if the president of the University left another University mired in athletic controversy (UNC academic fraud)

4 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Not at all. Universities typically don't want to risk more controversy when they are in the middle of similar controversy. Especially if the president of the University left another University mired in athletic controversy (UNC academic fraud)

If urban wants to coach at USC he will be hired yesterday. 

6 hours ago, Jhawk said:

plus you have to factor in 39% or so of any new money is going to federal taxes a that income level

so even $3 million more a year in pay is $1.8 million after fed taxes kick in