Tell me about the University of Southern California

Zavala

On 10/5/2021 at 9:30 AM, LTtxfan said:

Somehow missed this USC story...

WTF was that about?  One billion dollars to 100 people…. 10 million per person for sexual assault?   Fucking Round Up, asbestos and talcum powder manufacturers are killing people and aren’t paying that kind of money per average settlement (or maybe they are, I don’t know).

Point is that’s a lot of money for touching a vag in a creepy, inappropriate manner when your job is to inspect the vag (again, I don’t actually know what the gyno I question was doing. I’m just being glib).

Edited by Lhorn

Over many years, the complaints against Dr. Tyndall ranged from the merely inappropriate — like remarking on how nice a woman’s skin appeared — to overtly sexual comments, to abusive physical acts that were deeply traumatizing to the women he treated. One woman, who spoke to The New York Times in 2018, said she was still haunted by her encounters with Dr. Tyndall, saying it impacted her sex life through adulthood. Some women reported that during appointments he showed off photographs he had of the genitals of other women.

Allison Rowland, 54 — who said she was a graduate student at U.S.C. in 1993 or 1994 when Mr. Tyndall called her in for a “painful and strange” examination that culminated in a display of Polaroid close-ups of the bodies of other patients — said that the university’s earlier settlement offers were “pitiful” amounts of money aimed at “making us go away cheap.”

I guess it was actually likely 17,000 victims over 30 years. 

Twice the size of the MSU settlement and 1/7 of USC’s total endowment.  Ouch

Edited by Lhorn

• 2 weeks later...

Some things never change.

USC officials have placed a fraternity chapter on interim suspension following allegations that women were drugged and sexually assaulted at the house.

In a crime alert issued Thursday, the USC Department of Public Safety said campus officials received “a report of sexual assault” at the Sigma Nu fraternity house at 660 W. 28th St.

“The university also has received reports of drugs being placed into drinks during a party at the same fraternity house, leading to possible drug-facilitated sexual assaults,” according to the alert.

The chapter was placed on interim suspension and isn’t allowed to host or organize any activities, according to the alert. No parties or other social gatherings will be allowed at the fraternity house during the suspension.

In a statement, university officials said they take reports of sexual assault extremely seriously and have a response team in place.

“The university provides for a fair, thorough and timely resolution process,” according to the university’s statement. “We are deeply concerned when any student experiences any kind of trauma, and we offer both private and confidential support resources, as well as supportive measures, to involved parties.”

Officials said that they were not able to discuss case specifics because of student privacy laws and that they are “unequivocal in our commitment to fostering a safe environment for all of our students, faculty and staff.”

The university notified Sigma Nu’s national headquarters Thursday about the allegations and suspension, according to a statement by Christopher Brenton, director of communications for Sigma Nu Fraternity Inc.ID

“The fraternity is concerned by these serious allegations and will seek to work with University officials to investigate the matter,” Brenton said. “The fraternity will determine its further actions based upon the investigation. Sigma Nu Fraternity remains committed to responding appropriately to all matters of confirmed misconduct.”

USC officials, meanwhile, have reported all known information to the Los Angeles Police Department, according to the campus crime alert issued Thursday.

Anyone who might have information related to the drug-assisted sexual assaults at the Sigma Nu fraternity house should call the USC Department of Public Safety at (213) 740-6000 for the University Park Campus, (323) 442-1000 for the Health Sciences Campus or (213) 485-6571 for the LAPD Southwest Division.

USC officials said they also encourage anyone who wishes to do so to report the incidents to the Office for Equity, Equal Opportunity and Title IX.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-10-21/usc-suspends-sigma-nu-fraternity-chapter-alleged-drugging-sexual-assault?utm_id=40129&sfmc_id=974668

49 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It's gentrifying, somewhat quickly actually

I believe it. Seeing as how new construction is severely lacking across the state, there are few options. Mind as well buy in a crap area, move those degenerates out, knock down those shit houses and build  a 2.5M house in its place.

Edited by redswingline

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Tomlin would be awesome. Not sure Fickell would be a good fit but he was on my wishlist for UT. I’d hope Matt wouldn’t leave ISU but who knows. 

Perfect world for me would be Franklin then Fickell to PSU and Elko to Cincinnati. It's looking like Campbell is in for the long haul unless a ND or Michigan opens up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Perfect world for me would be Franklin then Fickell to PSU and Elko to Cincinnati. It's looking like Campbell is in for the long haul unless a ND or Michigan opens up. 

Rumor has it that the SC people in South Bend were watching the ISU game on their phones.  Of course that could be because the SC-ND game had not yet started. 

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So I guess Mike Tomlin is a no.

That was my assumption when I first heard that he was a “candidate”. Why would a guy that’s been in pro football for 20+ years, who has the most stable job in all of football with the Steelers, leave to go try to rebuild USC? 

So why did USC put his name out there? Are they not getting the action they’d like and are concerned about being the second best open job right now so they’re throwing out big impossible names to make it look like the best job out there?

6 minutes ago, heso said:

That was my assumption when I first heard that he was a “candidate”. Why would a guy that’s been in pro football for 20+ years, who has the most stable job in all of football with the Steelers, leave to go try to rebuild USC? 

So why did USC put his name out there? Are they not getting the action they’d like and are concerned about being the second best open job right now so they’re throwing out big impossible names to make it look like the best job out there?

first thought is his name was pushed by his agent, but maybe not. dude signed a 3 year deal in April 21 and the only interesting (potentially) name to USC is Bieniemy from this list i think.

Football League and College Football. Our impressive Coach roster includes: Mike Tomlin, Derek Mason, Karl Dorrell, Vance Joseph, Steve Wilks, Eric Bieniemy, Raheem Morris, Curtis Modkins, Todd Wash, Kirby Wilson, Ken Zampese, Jason Tarver, Ron Milus, Matt Burke, Joe Woods, Brentson Buckner, Lance Anderson, Sean Kugler, Sam Madison, Tem Lukabu, Keenan McCardell, Larry Foote, Marquand Manuel, Harold Goodwin, Jerricho Cotchery, Sean Kugler, Rob Moore and many more. Our past and current players include Cullen Jenkins, Derek Newton, James Daniels, Van Jefferson, Michael Ojemudia, Raven Greene, Terence Garvin, Brandon Bolden, Sammie Lee Hill, Bryan Walters, Chris Matthews, Tanoh Kpassongah, Marlon Mack, Jamal Carter, Marvin Hall, Rudy Ford, Alex Tanney, Jay Fiedler, Charlie Garner, Walt Harris, Bobby Hamilton, Chris Hayes, Donald Lee, Ellis Wyms, Dale Carter, Brentson Buckner, Chuck Darby, Marcus Tubbs, Jake Reed, Jason David, Antwan Edwards, OJ McDuffie, Vonnie Holliday, Larry Johnson, Chad Cascadden, Gary Stills, Lance Schulters AND CLIENT ZERO - Brad Baxter in 1990 (Jets)

7 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

That sure is a lot of anger for a job question.

I'd almost say methinks he doth protest too much but I can't imagine him leaving Pittsburg for a cfb job, either. 

I don't get the anger, especially the "anyone asking Sean Payton or Andy Reid about that?" part.

Its a great college job and Carson Palmer mentioned him as a candidate so they had to ask.  USC would no doubt pay him more than the $6 million he makes now.  Its not an insult.  He's certainly not the first NFL coach linked to a premier college job.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

That sure is a lot of anger for a job question.

I'd almost say methinks he doth protest too much but I can't imagine him leaving Pittsburg for a cfb job, either. 

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

video is even better.  he's pissed.  and offended.  rightfully so.

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I actually do love the response. Literally zero reason for him to make that jump.

Yeah, this. The Steelers have had three head coaches in 52 years. Three. In fifty-two years. Each has been to multiple Super Bowls and won at least one. Why in the ever loving fuck would someone who is the head coach of (arguably) the best-run, most loyal franchise in professional sport worldwide want to put up with NIL, the portal, moody-ass teenagers, recruiting, entertaining boosters, and all the other headaches that goes along with a blueblood CFB program? I say that as someone who loves CFB and ranks it as my favorite sport, but it takes a different mentality to be a CFB HC vs an NFL one.

No one leaves the Pittsburgh Steelers to go down to CFB. Saben won a MNC at the collegiate level, so it really wasn't that big a shock that he returned. Tomlin, though, seems like an NFL lifer, and he's got that league's best gig.

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dutch said:

No one leaves the Pittsburgh Steelers to go down to CFB. Saben won a MNC at the collegiate level, so it really wasn't that big a shock that he returned. Tomlin, though, seems like an NFL lifer, and he's got that league's best gig.

yep.  Tomlin has never been a college coach.  hell, he's never been a college DC.  he's been a WR and a DB coach at the college level.  that's it.  why in the fuck would he step down now from a 14 year NFL head coaching career to become a college football HC for the first time?  makes no sense.  just because Carson Palmer throws out some bullshit, unverified comment doesn't mean reporters need to start asking him about it.

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

yep.  Tomlin has never been a college coach.  hell, he's never been a college DC.  he's been a WR and a DB coach at the college level.  that's it.  why in the fuck would he step down now from a 14 year NFL head coaching career to become a college football HC for the first time?  makes no sense.  just because Carson Palmer throws out some bullshit, unverified comment doesn't mean reporters need to start asking him about it.

Why did coach Pete step down from coaching Western St to high school?

I don't think Tomlin is justified in getting offended.  I'd be flattered.

On 9/30/2021 at 8:58 AM, South Austin said:

And to phrase this with a specific question, can you name a coach -- NFL, NBA, college football, or college hoops -- who excelled as both a player and a coach?  I'm sure you might name a few, but I can't think of one off hand, and most of the greats we think of in terms of championships -- Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Bill Bilicheck, Nick Saban, Bill Walsh -- had mediocre playing days at best.

The Zen Master played 12 years in the Association and was contributing member of two championship teams as a player.

On 10/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, ztejas said:

USC is trending towards Tennessee territory. 

SC's administration has been WORSE than the goofballs in Knoxville in some respects.  https://apnews.com/article/7a758a4b1f7945d7b42d90ff648597c3

But SC will always be in LA and Tennessee will always be in Knoxville so SC will always be the better job, if the administration wants it to be. Not so quietly, SC has been aspiring to changes its reputation more towards Stanford/ND than Alabama.

They still have legions of meathead undergrad alumni who will not allow football to fall too far, but building an academic reputation has been the admins focus for quite some time. In this environment, sports teams can be viewed as more of a potential for negative attention than anything else.

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

This hire will probably make USC a factor again in 2-3 years. I hope Texas can follow suit…..

Crazy part is that (hate to say this) USC's current roster is probably already better than what SARK now has at Texas

The QB Dart is better, the WRs are better, TE's better, and I'm guessing the rest of USC's current roster as a whole > current Horns roster...

Texas is a huge fuckin' rebuild...

smdh 😠 

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Crazy part is that (hate to say this) but USC's current roster is probably already better than what SARK now has at Texas

The QB Dart is better, the WRs are better, TE's better, and I'm guessing the rest of USC's current roster as a whole > current Horns roster...I

Texas is a huge fuckin' rebuild...

smdh 😠

Their trenches are abysmal.  And that matters.  A lot.

• Like 2