Austin USL

Bottlecap

Sorry about that. Would guess 50-70 that weren’t from the team. Not sure how many of them were Seton or Hispanic Chamber people. Guessing quite a few. Not many random interested spectators. They are definitely going hard for Hispanic market. Makes sense given location.

Didn’t learn too much. Speeches were uninspiring. Bobby was even more boring than usual. Announced community benefit was a portion of ticket sales going to Dell Childens, which was a bit interesting considering that Seton is kit sponsor. It’s like they are writing a check back to themselves. Crowd tried to chant at the end, but it fizzled big time. Kit does look nice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah it was kind of funny watching the work continue on, throughout the race weekend.

But my kids are excited to be getting their fist of two "professional" soccer teams in Austin, so we'll likely head out there at some point.  Not this weekend though, kids have too many soccer games of their own right now.

Yeah & I'll believe it's a sell-out when I see it. But even if it is, I'll bet he gave away 3/4 ofthe tickets. Like I've said before, the real test will be when it gets hot and the new wears off because this team is mediocre at best. Let's see what the crowds look like then.

Holy shit. I just started watching my DVR recording of the game. Err ... the 'stadium' isn't even half full. 'Sellout', my ass. Exactly what I figured when the 'sellout' was announced.

Typical COTA BS. There's never been any such thing as a sellout at COTA, just like when they announced the IndyCar paddock passes were sold out and then people said they were selling them at the COTA ticket offices over the weekend.

Edited by wood

Soccer notebook: Austin Bold FC sellout crowd 'amazing to see'
https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190402/soccer-notebook-austin-bold-fc-sellout-crowd-amazing-to-see

Yeah, it WOULD be amazing, if it ever actually happened! I suppose it's possible they sold all the tickets (or more likely, as they been known to do in the past, just discontinued sales and then called it a 'sellout'), but the seats never came close to 'filling up' at any time during the match.

well, chris bils also had this ice cold take, so I won't put any stock in his obvious meth induced observation on attendance

What I watched: Taking in the U.S. men’s national team versus Chile last Tuesday, I was reminded why Michael Bradley is still a central figure in the squad. Without him, I don’t think the U.S. comes out with a 1-1 draw. He made two passes in particular — both to Corey Baird on the right wing — that I don’t believe any other player in the pool can pull off consistently. Bradley might have another World Cup left in him. Relax, because that’s a good thing.

Austin FC hires legislative lobbyists to counter Epstein & Spataro's latest attempt to block MLS in Austin

https://t.co/8tnq1QdZRm

Of course Spataro has nothing to do with COTA or Epstein & wasn't paid by Epstein to get Bettencourt to introduce the leg. Riiiighhht. I wonder how much money has been donated to  Bettencourt's campaign from the tens of millions in State subsidy money COTA gets annually.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Post another broken pic, please.

Don't have one, but the only one that's broken for me is the 3rd one, and it was fine until recently.

Edited by wood

• 3 months later...

Yep, & for the Wednesday game in the post above that one, Chris Bils told me the announced attendance was 1201. 

Looks like their announced attendance has been at least 2x the actual crowd any night I've seen. Old habits die hard at COTA I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

What are the odds this shit team make it to a second season?  The electric bill for those lights has to be more than gate receipts.

Yep, & even as dismally low as their announced attendance numbers are, it looks those numbers are 2 or 3x the actual number of butts in seats.

1 hour ago, MillerEP said:

Pretty good, they won the Copa de Tejas, and if they hold on their last 4 games, they're making the playoffs.

I think maybe cooter was referring more to the finances...but from what I've heard from people at COTA, this team is absolutely Epstein's baby and he's utterly irrational about it. In other words, if what I hear is true, he's losing money on it & people are telling him it isn't working, but he doesn't care.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.austinverde.com/forums/showthread.php?44-Austin-Bold-forward-Promise-Isaac-dies-at-31&p=53&viewfull=1#post53

Austin Bold forward Promise Isaac dies at 31

by: Kate Winkle

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 / 12:31 PM CDT / Updated: Oct 3, 2019 / 06:16 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A 31-year-old forward on the Austin Bold Football Club has died, the team said in a statement Thursday.

Promise Isaac died Wednesday night. Austin-Travis County EMS said they responded to a cardiac arrest call at an apartment complex gym on the 10800 block of south Interstate 35. Medics tried to resuscitate him but were not able to.

“The greatest loss a team can suffer is not on the scoreboard, it’s the death of a fellow teammate,” Chairman Bobby Epstein wrote, adding he and the BOLD organization “wish his wife, children and family strength and peace as they struggle to cope with his death.”

Isaac was from Nigeria and became the club’s seventh signed player, after previously playing for 12 seasons in the Turkish Süper Lig, TFF First League and the Saudi Professional League. He was an Olympic silver medalist, ascending to second place with the Nigerian U-23 team in the 2008 summer games.

Isaac had started 15 of the 20 games he played with Austin Bold FC. This is the first season for Austin Bold FC, a United Soccer League Team which plays at a stadium at Circuit of the Americas.

• 2 weeks later...