Kick Ass Backyards

Forgot I started this thread a year and a half ago. Of course, I still haven’t found someone to build an expanded covered patio. I’ve contacted about six companies over the last 18 months and all have had issues of some sort: bait and switch pricing, non-responsive, unprofessional quotes, etc. I know exactly what i want, but can’t find anyone reliable to quote it and build it.

Where do you live?

19 hours ago, Armybrat said:

$400 each for the slate tiles on the 11’x21’ patio, the iron furniture from HEB (it was open), and the Weber Spirit 210. 
Didn’t want to look at the wood fence, so we planted the wax leaf ligustrms (all free). Am a tightwad asshole.

Don’t go out there much anymore though except to grill some protein.

image.jpg

Cheap furniture is amazing, once you start keeping it under a cover.

Just now, deadshank said:

That’s him.   

That guy... I hate that guy... very few things make me envious, but that fucker, and the architects who get to design ski homes get my envy.  The things he gets to design.. wow !!  I don't like some of it, but that's just personal taste. His vision, and skills are there for damn sure.

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That guy... I hate that guy... very few things make me envious, but that fucker, and the architects who get to design ski homes get my envy.  The things he gets to design.. wow !!  I don't like some of it, but that's just personal taste. His vision, and skills are there for damn sure.

He does pretty good and has a following.   

He also builds them.  

I think if my memory is correct he designed a house in the early build out of Davenport Ranch for what might(?) have been the first Parade of Homes here.  His stuff seems timeless and tasteful with smart creative use of the space.  

A competitor at the time was Benny Daneshjou of I think Danshjou-Shrum.  He did luxury homes and ultimately his claim to fame was getting sued by Sandra Bullock for crappy work on her Lake Austin build.  I remember because that MOFO floated me out like 6 months on a couple grand of printing.

One of those arrested was 68-year-old Austin real estate investor Benny Daneshjou, who Austin police say helped the group buy real estate to use for safe houses and to store drugs.

13 Charged in Drug Trafficking ring targeting UT Students

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 1:16 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm a big fan of leaving backyards as open as possible.   Makes backyards feels much bigger than they are.   Over the last decade, my neighborhood (Houston Garden Oaks) went from many 4 foot tall chain link fences to majority 8 foot privacy.  horrible look. 

and for those that talk about the need for privacy, it's not private when the 2-story neighbor's house is five feet off the fence line.

Gotta Love Houston- Eventually there will only be two condos stacked 10 feet apart on every old shitty lot in the downtown area as far as the eyes can see. And not a street parking spot for miles.  

I saw some Adirondack chairs at Austin Furniture Outlet in Cedar Park that were sturdy and composite for under $200 that looked pretty nice the other day. Have no idea if that's a good price but their furniture was inexpensive.

Edited by horn4life

22 hours ago, horn4life said:

Gotta Love Houston- Eventually there will only be two condos stacked 10 feet apart on every old shitty lot in the downtown area as far as the eyes can see. And not a street parking spot for miles.  

Pretty sure that’s already the case.

The advantage of living close to town has been marginalized with covid. I was torn on moving closer to town and doing a massive remodel, but ended up going new build in the burbs mostly because of wanting a large back yard.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:02 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Any recommendations for pool lounge and Adirondack chairs? Inexpensive and decent looking would be nice. 

We're having a pergola installed this weekend. I just couldn't do it anymore with this POS 10 foot umbrella I bought off of Amazon. 

Costco for Adirondack if you are a member. They may be cheap enough that the savings pay for the first year membership. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/13/2021 at 6:51 PM, texanbychoice said:

9ac338a804da68ed859587325c5dd26f.jpg

0640d7a4af3ee4bf55e7062c86d16ad5.jpg

Am I the only one wondering what the hell that weird ass sideways christmas tree looking thing is?  Can't decide if I love it because it's really cool and interesting...or if I hate it because it's just weird and it looks like there's something wrong with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I the only one wondering what the hell that weird ass sideways christmas tree looking thing is?  Can't decide if I love it because it's really cool and interesting...or if I hate it because it's just weird and it looks like there's something wrong with it.

Ha. I have a lot of “decorative” trees like that now. I think they look good, but.....
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...