Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He made sure that Leia and Han had ended up miserable and separated, feeling like failures as parents, that Luke would end his life full of anger and regret and feeling like a failure as an uncle and a Jedi Master.  That Han would literally lose the Falcon, one of the most iconic things that defined him as a man and as a pilot.  That Leia would watch everything she dedicated her life to utterly ruined with the help of her sun, with her and her Sad Band of Followers on the run and with no hope.

You’re telling me Han Solo, the smuggler who almost skipped out helping the rebellion and the fate of the galaxy over money, could be a decent father and husband? Dang, color me surprised. I don’t find that story hard to grasp at all, if anything JJ did good there.  Also Han losing the falcon is such a Han move, and then always somehow getting it back. As for Luke, I think they had the right idea but took it too far. Yeah Luke would have felt miserable but only for a short time and he would eventually try to help everyone out instead of sitting on a rock sucking blue tit milk. The last part about leia I can kinda agree with but her son was a powerful force user for the dark side and the first order was a considerable threat. 

JJ had to mix it up somehow and while I think the overall idea was there, the execution wasn’t. I also I think JJ’s first story would look a lot better if Rian didn’t fuck it up so bad in the TLJ. 

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

JJ had to mix it up somehow and while I think the overall idea was there, the execution wasn’t. I also I think JJ’s first story would look a lot better if Rian didn’t fuck it up so bad in the TLJ. 

He didn’t mix it up. He simply remade A New Hope, complete with a Death Star, shit on the original trio, and introduced a new trio who didn’t have much chemistry when compared to the original.   It felt more like a George Lucas first-draft script than anything.  

Risn fucked up because JJ and Kennedy didn’t plot out anything beyond TFA.  Lucas at least had an excuse - he was not sure if ANH would even succeed.  Kennedy deserves the most criticism - LucasFilm had a talented collection of storytellers in the animation department who could have mapped out a trilogy.  

• Like 1

He didn’t mix it up. He simply remade A New Hope, complete with a Death Star, shit on the original trio, and introduced a new trio who didn’t have much chemistry when compared to the original.   It felt more like a George Lucas first-draft script than anything.  
Risn fucked up because JJ and Kennedy didn’t plot out anything beyond TFA.  Lucas at least had an excuse - he was not sure if ANH would even succeed.  Kennedy deserves the most criticism - LucasFilm had a talented collection of storytellers in the animation department who could have mapped out a trilogy.  

He also turned Rey into an the worlds best pilot, master mechanic, fighter, and learned lightsaber combat and force use without any training. Finn went toe-to-toe with a trained killer with a new weapon he had never used before. Lightsaber rules changed and can be defeated by a leather jacket. Force rules changed.

Oh and the first order came out of nowhere to take over the republic and restart the empire, and they too have force powers without having learned them, including some new ones.

JJ is part of the problem.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Nivek said:

Rey is going to be Palestine’s daughter or something stupid like that.

7 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Israel is not going to like that.

Well done.  Palpatine is Anakin's father (closest thing to it) so it would be a bit weird to see that old guy still that potent not to mention he's dead....

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

what i meant by mix it up was more of the relationships that were pointed out in the OT. I agree with you that it felt like redo of the OT but that's what you're going to get with JJ. I think that's where Kennedy messed up was by not getting a imaginative director in the first place to work with LucasFilm. On the other hand Rian's style was nott a good fit for star wars so he would have fucked up any story given to him, imo.

Anyone hoping that JJ fucking Abrams is the right guy to tie the story up and fix all those loose ends in the Star Wars universe obviously didn’t watch the series finale of Lost. Prepare to have none of your burning questions answered, while episode IX simultaneously introduces dozens of new questions, which will also never be answered.

• Like 1

"The End"
Lost episodes
A man wearing a black shirt and jeans and a dog lie on the ground of a bamboo forest.
Jack Shephard (Matthew Fox) in the bamboo forest with Vincent by his side. This scene mirrors the first scene of the series.
Episode nos. Season 6
Episodes 17 and 18
Directed by Jack Bender
Written by Damon Lindelof
Carlton Cuse

JJ didn't write or direct the final episode of Lost. But his dangling plotlines were all introduced and left for the next writers and directors to work around kinda like....but your point is valid. Although this time, he's actually in charge of the finale. He's typically the starting pitcher, not the closer. 

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There are rumors that Thrawn will somehow make an appearance.   

It would be the ultimate JJ Abrams move to introduce such a major EU character into an already crowded movie that could be the last movie for several years.  

based on what? The First Order supposedly has been hiding out or exploring the unknown regions for awhile before they attacked. I know that's fueled rumors of Thrawn since is from there. Of course the "unknown regions" are pretty big so that doesn't mean he's crossed paths with them or even still alive. The only other connection I can see is the title, The Rise of Skywalker. The chiss call their force sensitives Skywalkers.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would be the ultimate JJ Abrams move to introduce such a major EU character into an already crowded movie that could be the last movie for several years.  

Does Ezra come with him?  

On 4/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, atomheartbevo said:

If WB and Rowling were dumb enough to give JJ Abrams the chance to make a Harry Potter film sequel, here is how it would play out:

• Hogwarts would quickly be turned into a smoking hole in the ground by a group who had no reason for being powerful enough to do it within such a short amount of time.
  • Hagrid would be dead from being gang-raped by those winged eagle horse things.
  • Ron would be killed by his son for no discernible reason other than the actor's contract demanded it.
  • Hermione would have watched Hogwarts destroyed, and would have seen Ron and Harry only once in the previous 10 years.
  • Harry would be a bearded old recluse drinking blue milk he gets from milking elves (against their will) every morning.
  • Mad Eye Moody's son would be a sniveling little shit who gets pranked by owls and talking letters.
  • And so on.

I would pay good money to see this movie.

11 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

7 hours ago, Nivek said:

Does Ezra come with him?  

And Mara Jade too, with Luke's baby.

1 minute ago, Disco Missile said:

And Mara Jade too, with Luke's baby.

Rey....Mara has an "R" in her name, and both her last name and Luke's first and last names have an "E" and Luke's last name has a "Y".

Holy shit.  I know who Rey's parents are!

@Nivek nailed it though.  Abrams gave us an Uber-powered Rey who could go toe-to-toe with a trained Jedi with no lightsaber training, she could get a finicky freighter that hadn't flown in years up and running in seconds, and she could fly this finicky freighter in and out of very tight obstacles (and even a fucking crashed Star Destroyer) even though she had never flown off-planet.  Not to mention stormtroopers apparently receiving lightsaber training that lets them hold their own against Kylo, and you have Poe Dameron's thin little jacket, which is heavily armored against lightsabers.  

JJ was so fucking lazy and lightweight with TFA when you actually get right down to it.   Doing things like giving us that stormtrooper weapon that can handle lightsabers, just so Finn could go toe-to-toe with Emo Ren for the trailer, etc.  

As much as I shit on Lucas for the prequels, Lucas at least had a Point A, a Point B, and a Point C, and while he strayed wildly at times, he did eventually proceed from Point A to Point B to Point C.  We saw Anakin as a child (although it took Lucas 40 fucking minutes before we see Anakin), we saw him grow up and go through his emo phase, and we saw what Obi-Wan did to put him in the fucking suit.

Which is a shame, because if JJ had bothered to flesh out these new characters more, and if he had taken more care with the original characters, we could have had a really amazing trilogy.  Rey/Poe/Finn/Kylo are not the problem with the sequels.  They actually have decent actors portraying them.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Rey....Mara has an "R" in her name, and both her last name and Luke's first and last names have an "E" and Luke's last name has a "Y".

Holy shit.  I know who Rey's parents are!

@Nivek nailed it though.  Abrams gave us an Uber-powered Rey who could go toe-to-toe with a trained Jedi with no lightsaber training, she could get a finicky freighter that hadn't flown in years up and running in seconds, and she could fly this finicky freighter in and out of very tight obstacles (and even a fucking crashed Star Destroyer) even though she had never flown off-planet.  Not to mention stormtroopers apparently receiving lightsaber training that lets them hold their own against Kylo, and you have Poe Dameron's thin little jacket, which is heavily armored against lightsabers.  

JJ was so fucking lazy and lightweight with TFA when you actually get right down to it.   Doing things like giving us that stormtrooper weapon that can handle lightsabers, just so Finn could go toe-to-toe with Emo Ren for the trailer, etc.  

As much as I shit on Lucas for the prequels, Lucas at least had a Point A, a Point B, and a Point C, and while he strayed wildly at times, he did eventually proceed from Point A to Point B to Point C.  We saw Anakin as a child (although it took Lucas 40 fucking minutes before we see Anakin), we saw him grow up and go through his emo phase, and we saw what Obi-Wan did to put him in the fucking suit.

Which is a shame, because if JJ had bothered to flesh out these new characters more, and if he had taken more care with the original characters, we could have had a really amazing trilogy.  Rey/Poe/Finn/Kylo are not the problem with the sequels.  They actually have decent actors portraying them.

Did you not love Star Wars VII and VIII? Let me spin my Magic 8 Ball of dismissive responses:

- Another middle aged probably white fanboy that can't let go of the past. This movie wasn't made for you.
- If Rey was a man you wouldn't be complaining
- It's a work of fiction about space samurai wizards. Get over it.
- All of it is explained in the graphic novel.
- The movie made $9,000,000,000,000,000.00

But I agree with you. I've never been less excited about a Star Wars movie. My kids don't even like them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

- If Rey was a man you wouldn't be complaining

First of all, we don't know what Rey identifies as.  It's a big universe with a lot of diversity.

I actually saw somebody use this "if she were a man" defense somewhere (probably on the tweeters or something).  As much as JJ was just phoning it in and remaking ANH, he should have taken a page from ESB - Rey should have been utterly destroyed by Kylo (and Finn shoulda died).  A partially-trained Luke got his ass thoroughly kicked by Vader in ESB, and Vader was going easy because it was his son.   

But all is forgiven among far too many after this teaser - seeing Rey doing her ninja flip over the top of Keri Russell's stolen/re-purposed First Order Tie fighter as Rey is about to split it open got all of the fanboys and fangirls drooling.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just now, Dutchrudder said:

Why would you bother jumping over a hovercraft? Wouldn't it be smarter to lie down with your lightsaber pointed up to split it in half? It's not like it can get closer to the ground.

Because it looks awesome?

I do admit, she might not be trying to kill Keri Russell's character, and may in fact be teaming up with her, and Keri's character can't slow down for whatever reason (or knows she doesn't have to because Rey is a badass Jedi), and so Rey flips up on the Interceptor, and then they fly into help in whatever ambush that Poe/Finn/C3P0 are in.

She might have lit the lightsaber to deflect shots from the troopers on the speeder bike/jetpack things.

I actually saw somebody use this "if she were a man" defense somewhere (probably on the tweeters or something).  As much as JJ was just phoning it in and remaking ANH, he should have taken a page from ESB - Rey should have been utterly destroyed by Kylo (and Finn shoulda died).  A partially-trained Luke got his ass thoroughly kicked by Vader in ESB, and Vader was going easy because it was his son.   
But all is forgiven among far too many after this teaser - seeing Rey doing her ninja flip over the top of Keri Russell's stolen/re-purposed First Order Tie fighter as Rey is about to split it open got all of the fanboys and fangirls drooling.

Ripely pretty much ends that stupid talking point.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/04/12/how-george-lucas-helped-finish-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker

“This movie had a very, very specific challenge, which was to take eight films and give an ending to three trilogies, and so we had to look at, what is the bigger story? We had conversations amongst ourselves, we met with George Lucas before writing the script,” Abrams revealed. “These were things that were in real, not debate, but looking at the vastness of the story and trying to figure out, what is the way to conclude this? But it has to work on its own as a movie, it has to be its own thing, it has to be surprising and funny and you have to understand it.”

Knowing that there would be two more movies made after Force Awakens, and that he would not be directing at least one, and possibly both, JJ and company basically

• remade A New Hope set 20-some years later
  • destroyed all of the victories and happy ending from ROTJ
  • created a bunch of uber-powerful characters
  • created an enigmatic bad guy in Snoke who was ancient and a powerful Sith Lord/Dark Jedi, but had no true backstory tying him to past events
  • didn't plot out any arcs for the next two movies
  • ignored George Lucas's input
  • didn't hand off a comprehensive backstory for Rey, Snoke, etc. to his successor
  • created in an un-trained Rey a Jedi more powerful than Luke was at her age
  • and just left his successor and the various authors and comic book writers to their own devices for figuring shit out in VIII.

But for the third movie, JJ Abrams has decided to consult with a bunch of people, including George Lucas, to plot everything out and make sure and tie up all of the loose ends. All in one movie.  A movie that probably needs to be 3 hours long.

Something that should have been done during pre-production of VII

Spoiler

Thinking_Face_Emoji-Emoji-Island.png

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Buffsoldier said:

Got a little more backstory/citation here?  I've never hear this angle before.  I'd like to explore it a bit.

It's from the Timothy Zahn novel, Thrawn: Alliances

so spoilers I guess?

Spoiler

The Chiss call their force-sensitives Ozyly-esehembo which translates to sky walker in basic. It's because the Chiss use the force sensitives to plot out hyperspace routes through the force since there aren't good maps of that part of the galaxy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 8:54 AM, Jersey Man10 said:

I have a feeling palpatine created rey to destroy the Skywalker lineage (Ben Solo). But in the end she won't do it so Rey and Ben end up fighting Palpatine.

Hmm, it is speculated Darth Plagueis and with a little help from Palp, helped create Anikan through the use of the force. Palp being one of if not the most powerful Sith to ever live, could in theory, know how to create life through the force. With that being said, it opens up a whole can worms on what we’ve known about the Sith and their abilities in the after life. 

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Hmm, it is speculated Darth Plagueis and with a little help from Palp, helped create Anikan through the use of the force. Palp being one of if not the most powerful Sith to ever live, could in theory, know how to create life through the force. With that being said, it opens up a whole can worms on what we’ve known about the Sith and their abilities in the after life. 

In the Disney's sponsored comics, Anakin's 'father' is Palpatine.  He used the dark force to manipulate midcholorians into making her pregnant.  It is canon now....

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

In the Disney's sponsored comics, Anakin's 'father' is Palpatine.  He used the dark force to manipulate midcholorians into making her pregnant.  It is canon now....

Yep, you’re right, just saw an article over the comic. Either way tho his theory a hole in it. Are there new comics that say Siths can become a force ghost? 

So only taking a 3 year break after Episode IX.

bmd-logo-tall.png

Disney Just Announced Three New STAR WARS Movies

Good lord.

By SCOTT WAMPLER May. 07, 2019 

180Shares

reddit.svg
flipboard.svg

In a move that can only be seen as gigantic flex, Disney just announced its entire slate through the year 2027, including a slew of new live-action projects, a number of new Marvel movies, the next Indiana Jones (still no title, don't expect one for a long time) and much, much more. We'll have a separate post breaking down all those other titles for you momentarily. For now, let's talk Star Wars.

According to Disney's current plans, a new Star Wars film will arrive in theaters the weekend before Christmas every other year starting in 2022, which looks like this:

• December 16th, 2022: Untitled Star Wars Movie
  • December 20th, 2024: Untitled Star Wars Movie
  • December 18th, 2026: Untitled Star Wars Movie

At present, we have no idea which Star Wars movies we're talking about here. Could these be entries in Rian Johnson's new Star Wars trilogy? In the trilogy being planned by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss? Will these dates be some sort of unholy mixture of the two? No idea. It's possible even Disney doesn't know for sure at the moment. For now, all we know is that we have a steady drip of Star Wars movies to look forward to between now and the heat death of the universe. Whether or not this is a good thing will, of course, depend entirely on your appetite for Star Wars.

So, what do y'all think? Wanna bet on what these untitled films will turn out to be? Think this is too much Star Wars? Not enough? We wanna know where you stand on all this, so hit the comments below for some reckless speculation, and stay tuned for further Star Wars updates as they roll in.

so the future of star wars in the hands of either rian johnson who fucked up star wars for me that i don't even care about star wars anymore or d&d who have monumentally screwed up GOT so bad that I don't even care about the ending.  

star wars is in GREAT hands.  why does hollywood reward idiots?

On 4/28/2019 at 3:15 PM, Red Five said:

They’ll need some sort of explanation for how Rey became a Jedi master over the course of an afternoon. I always thought it would end up being “created by the force” or some such.

There's plenty to complain about in these films, but I honestly don't understand this one.

Rey hardly became "a Jedi master over the course of an afternoon."  Rey was already shown to be a badass who can handle herself... then all of a sudden she's able to tap into the Force... so of course that's going to make her an even more formidable opponent.

How is it any different than Luke learning about the Force for the first time and then just a few days later tapping into it to shoot a proton torpedo into 2-meter wide exhaust port without a targeting computer?  (Yeah I know he used to bulls-eye womprats with his T-16 back home)....

But still... it's the same concept and a pretty well-worn fantasy/hero journey trope... (1) Learn about special powers (2) Weld special powers to help the good guys win right away.

To further the example, the first time we see someone "force grab" something was 10 minutes into ESB, when Luke still had about 15 minutes total of training with Obi-Wan... he wields the Force with an ability we'd never seen or heard about before to save himself from the Wampa.

So again - it's a common fantasy/hero journey trope. 

• Like 1

To further the example, the first time we see someone "force grab" something was 10 minutes into ESB, when Luke still had about 15 minutes total of training with Obi-Wan... he wields the Force with an ability we'd never seen or heard about before to save himself from the Wampa.

Years (two-ish?) passed between Star Wars and ESB. 

A better example would be if Luke had picked up his lightsaber for the first time in Obi-Wan's hut, walked outside, and kicked the shit out of Darth Vader. 

• Like 4