Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

they know it sucks.

Yep. And it will still gross a billion $.

Nine movies. One good one that changed pop culture (IV), one great one that gave the franchise a true foundation (V), and 7 others that prove we'll pretty much open up our wallets to anything with Star Wars in the title in the foolish hope that the magic/storytelling of ANH or ESB will somehow be recaptured.

Yep. And it will still gross a billion $.
Nine movies. One good one that changed pop culture (IV), one great one that gave the franchise a true foundation (V), and 7 others that prove we'll pretty much open up our wallets to anything with Star Wars in the title in the foolish hope that the magic/storytelling of ANH or ESB will somehow be recaptured.

ROTJ is a classic movie that explored Jabba’s Lair, Leia’s gold bikini, Lando and Chewy, speeders and the new type of storm trooper, the Emperor, reveal of Anakin. It was a fitting conclusion to the trilogy- the classic example of what a movie trilogy should be.

At the time, I can recall no fan or critical letdown, probably for over a decade until the Ewok backlash when fanboys started griping that it should have been wookies.

This is how it’s ranked according to anyone who’s older than eleven.

ANH
ESB

ROTJ

Rogue One
Force Awakens
Solo

TLJ

Prequels
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

ROTJ is a classic movie that explored Jabba’s Lair, Leia’s gold bikini, Lando and Chewy, speeders and the new type of storm trooper, the Emperor, reveal of Anakin. It was a fitting conclusion to the trilogy- the classic example of what a movie trilogy should be.

At the time, I can recall no fan or critical letdown, probably for over a decade until the Ewok backlash when fanboys started griping that it should have been wookies.

ANH
ESB

ROTJ

Rogue One
Force Awakens
Solo

TLJ

Prequels

The prequels were better than TLJ, especially Revenge of the Sith. TLJ is basically unwatchable. 

• Like 5

Yeah. Rotj is an amazing movie and arguably the most “fun” out of any of them. 

It has one flaw. Cute Ewoks. 

We’ve done this before but ROTJ is absolutely defensible as the best of the three. The Ewoks don’t even show up until an hour in, and their initial big scene is less than 15 minutes of a two hour movie. And let’s not forget that they were savage man-eaters capable of beating stormtroopers to death with a rock. If Luke and Threepio had not pulled their force stunt they were going to eat Solo. And all those empty stormtrooper helmets at the end? Where do you think those hapless bastards ended up?

Most of the rest of Ewok time was sprinkled amongst a pretty good ground battle. The AT-ST traps were pretty damn cool, and for those that really hated them (I find it hard to believe that anyone in this thread felt that way in 1983) you got to see several of them get killed. And, if it makes you feel better, the debris from Death Star II probably wiped out Endor.

To quote Han Solo: “Short help is better than no help at all.”

Fun fact: the word Ewok is never said in ROTJ.
  • Like 1

I wonder how awkward it is going to be at Disney when a steaming tv show blows the latest movie out of the water review wise.  Are they still going to blame it on racist fans and Star Wars franchise fatigue?

Well, they already put Favreau and Filoni in charge going forward so I’m sure they’re expecting it.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:32 PM, Buzzrock said:

I will never understand why some of you insist on lumping ROTJ in with the crap SW films.

Ewoks defeated the Empire.  Ewoks.

Mulletpelini is furiously masturbating at the thought.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:15 AM, Eskimohorn said:

ANH
ESB

ROTJ

Rogue One
Force Awakens
Solo

TLJ

Prequels

Nope. 

First off Rogue 1 is too low...it's easily up with the Top 2.  RoTJ is more in line with TFA and TLJ(yes, I'm still the one that likes that movie and doesn't think it's a steam pile of shit), Solo is a little lower, Revenge of the Sith is right around Solo, than the first 2 prequels.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, Red Five said:

The prequels were better than TLJ, especially Revenge of the Sith. TLJ is basically unwatchable. 

Just stop.  That's a really bad take.  Sith isn't that far below TLJ, but no, none of them are above TLJ.  Ya'll really have to stop this shit with that movie.  It was not nearly the shit show ya'll keep crying about.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:45 AM, Buzzrock said:

We’ve done this before but ROTJ is absolutely defensible as the best of the three. The Ewoks don’t even show up until an hour in, and their initial big scene is less than 15 minutes of a two hour movie. And let’s not forget that they were savage man-eaters capable of beating stormtroopers to death with a rock. If Luke and Threepio had not pulled their force stunt they were going to eat Solo. And all those empty stormtrooper helmets at the end? Where do you think those hapless bastards ended up?

Most of the rest of Ewok time was sprinkled amongst a pretty good ground battle. The AT-ST traps were pretty damn cool, and for those that really hated them (I find it hard to believe that anyone in this thread felt that way in 1983) you got to see several of them get killed. And, if it makes you feel better, the debris from Death Star II probably wiped out Endor.

To quote Han Solo: “Short help is better than no help at all.”

Fun fact: the word Ewok is never said in ROTJ.

The whole "ROTJ sucks because of Ewoks" is a direct results of fanboys getting older, Kevin Smith and Red Letter Media.

Growing up with Star Wars, nobody ever said anything about the Ewoks being shitty.  They were just supposed to an indigenous group of people who helped the Rebels on Endor. I don't remember anyone talking about it any more than that.  But then we grew up, Kevin Smith told us that ESB was the best and ROTJ sucked in Clerks and it then Internet nerd/bashing/"everything sucks" culture took it from there.

When you look at the Star Wars canon, ROTJ has some of the absolute best moments in the series, from Jabba's palace to all of the Luke-Vader-Emperor stuff to the Speeder bike chase to the end space battle which -- still amazingly -- is one of the most incredible space battles ever put on film; and it was done in the early 1980s with motion control cameras and models.

Yeah it suffers from the fact that it's the 3rd act and it's having to wrap everything up, but that's just how storytelling works.

TL;DR: ROTJ fucks.

• Like 3

Yes we know, Drew.

Kevin Smith only told you that ESB is better if you liked Dante more than Randal. Dante was a whiny bitch. Randal was awesome.

Randal: “Which did you like better: Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back?”
Dante: “Empire.”
Randal: “Blasphemy.”

#teamrandal

• Like 3

ROTJ has always been a distant 3rd for me, but the Jabba’s palace scenes are some of the best in the entire trilogy and the Emperor-Luke-Vader scenes are fucking great. 

All of that applies only pre-Special Edition.  Lucas fucked up the Jabba shit pretty bad with his cartoon band.  Fucking idiot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Just stop.  That's a really bad take.  Sith isn't that far below TLJ, but no, none of them are above TLJ.  Ya'll really have to stop this shit with that movie.  It was not nearly the shit show ya'll keep crying about.

Not everyone shares your exact opinions on movies. You should repeat this to yourself 1000 times a day and maybe eventually you will get it.

11 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

the Emperor-Luke-Vader scenes are fucking great. 

The climactic lightsaber duel, when Luke goes berzerker and cuts off Vader's hand, is arguably the single best scene in any Star Wars movie. Between the music, the visuals, the action, and the culmination of everything the prior six hours of story had built to, it reaches an emotional peak that the subsequent movies were never able to even approach. 

The closest were probably Obi-Wan on Tatooine at the end of ROTS and the Cassian/Jin death scene at the end of Rogue One, but when I say closest, that's in the sense that A&M and Texas are both universities. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

ROTJ has always been a distant 3rd for me, but the Jabba’s palace scenes are some of the best in the entire trilogy and the Emperor-Luke-Vader scenes are fucking great. 

All of that applies only pre-Special Edition.  Lucas fucked up the Jabba shit pretty bad with his cartoon band.  Fucking idiot.

All of this.

And shout out to Mark Hamill for the greatness of the Luke-Vader-Emperor scenes... that's among the best acting in all of Star Wars.  Ian McDirmad is great hamming it up as the Emperor, but Hamill carries the emotional weight of those scenes and does a fantastic job.

And yeah - the fucking SE with that stupid cartoon band was fucking horrible.  ORIGINAL MAX REBO BAND FOREVA!!!

All of this.
And shout out to Mark Hamill for the greatness of the Luke-Vader-Emperor scenes... that's among the best acting in all of Star Wars.  Ian McDirmad is great hamming it up as the Emperor, but Hamill carries the emotional weight of those scenes and does a fantastic job.
And yeah - the fucking SE with that stupid cartoon band was fucking horrible.  ORIGINAL MAX REBO BAND FOREVA!!!

I hate that those special editions are what are on Disney+. Even my kids don’t like them. I have the Despecialized editions for when we want to watch the OT.

On 12/2/2019 at 6:35 PM, BrickHorn said:

And the extra extended Ewok party 

On 12/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, Drew said:

Ewoks defeated the Empire.  Ewoks.

Mulletpelini is furiously masturbating at the thought.

Nope. 

First off Rogue 1 is too low...it's easily up with the Top 2.  RoTJ is more in line with TFA and TLJ(yes, I'm still the one that likes that movie and doesn't think it's a steam pile of shit), Solo is a little lower, Revenge of the Sith is right around Solo, than the first 2 prequels.

I’d take PM over TLJ any day, at this point. JarJar isn’t much worse than the combo of Rose and the horse rabbits, and I really didn’t care about any of the characters by the end of TLJ. 

RotJ was great. R1 was really good too, has a completely different feel to it (honestly could be non Star Wars movie if you call the BFG something besides Death Star), and I could definitely see that being someone’s cup of tea more than any of the other movies. 

Spoiler

hearing Rey is Palpatine Gdaughter and she converts Kylo to good then they battle Palpatine kill him then story ends with her claiming Skywalker status.  Seems about right.

overheard from a millennial. 

Edited by mulletpelini
drew likes ewok christmas special the best

The nerd sites are all abuzz today that the leaks have been confirmed as accurate.  If true, Drew is really going to love it because it sounds completely fucking awful.    

I am seeing the opposite on r/StarWarsLeaks, since Colin Trevorrow said the that the leak about the stuff included in his version of the screenplay was all false. Because of that, people are now wondering if anything from the MSW leaks is true at all.

30 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The nerd sites are all abuzz today that the leaks have been confirmed as accurate.  If true, Drew is really going to love it because it sounds completely fucking awful.    

Of course I've seen them, and they do NOT look awful. You guys are so full of yourselves that you can't enjoy anything anymore.

Of course I've seen them, and they do NOT look awful. You guys are so full of yourselves that you can't enjoy anything anymore.

I read the synopsis of the script and didn’t mind it. It’s about as good as you could do with the broken pieces that are left. I’m ready for all these characters to be gone for good. They are an albatross on anything new.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:57 PM, CooterBrown said:

I read the synopsis of the script and didn’t mind it. It’s about as good as you could do with the broken pieces that are left. I’m ready for all these characters to be gone for good. They are an albatross on anything new.

They could have done something cool with Fin or Poe. Fin in particular could’ve had a bad ass backstory but instead all we got was that he was captured at a young age and was a fucking janitor on Starkiller base.