Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

24 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I’m not as big a fan of the franchise as most of you but I thought rogue one and the force awakens were pretty good films.  

And I’d like some sort of free trial offer so I can watch the Mandalorian to see my little friend baby Yoda

Don't they offer a free 7 day trial? I'm waiting until all eps are available. 

That's what I usually do with Hulu (Handmaid's Tale) and SHO (Billions).  Wife just has a principle of having more than one subscription service going at once, which I kinda agree with.  I figure I'd squeeze in Mandalorian this holiday season and then finish it before starting back up with HBO for "Curb" return in mid-January.  We get to watch maybe 2-3 hours of shit together each week so she's principally opposed to having 4 services going at once.  Plus I have to run off in shame and watch "Man in the High Castle" because people always assume I'm siding with the Reich.  

I'm cool with the $7, it's just a function of enough hours in the week to focus on one show or another.  Sorry, forget it. 

(But Have a bunch of work travel starting up again in late January for the rest of 2020, so keep the illegal suggestions coming ;)      ) 

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Any chance we could get non-spoilery opinions/reviews from those that have see it?  I’m going next Thursday. 

Meh.  It’s entertaining, but lacks soul.  The new characters never took flight and the old characters are... old.   And this episode continues the stretching of SW mythology / hokey religion into further absurdities.  The last act felt more like something out of a Harry Potter film than a Star Wars movie.    

This is what Star Wars fans wanted IMO. I don’t need tertiary characters like Rose thrown in my face and crappy B plots like Canto Bright. Give me a non stop adventure with some bad ass action and some good character interaction...and we got all of those. The movie was extremely full and we didn’t really get a chance to breathe but I’m good with that, if anything tack on an extra 30 mins to relationship build and it’s probably a perfect Star Wars movie. I love that they took a dump on Rose, she’s useless, uninteresting and advances nothing in the story (she also low key killed Luke Skywalker). Rey and Kylo made the movie, I could watch those two interact all day and their force interaction was the best part of the entire trilogy. Wish we got to see Anakin again, a force ghost dark side talk with Kylo would have made my erection last much longer than 4 hours. This one is a 92/100 and I can’t wait to watch it again

With recency bias taken into account, my person rankings 5 4 6 9 7 Rouge One 3 Solo 8 1 2

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

With recency bias taken into account, my person rankings 5 4 6 9 7 Rouge One 3 Solo 8 1 2

TLJ ahead of Phantom Menace, huh? Jar Jar and Pod races undoes enough of Liam Neeson and Darth Maul badassery for you to make it worse than bitch Luke drinking blue milk out the teet + 2mph space chase + Rose/Cantu Bite?

Yep.  TLJ had a ham-fisted anti-Trumpist message of love, diversity, female empowerment, etc.  As much as I side with that perspective, I found the inclusion of that message annoying in a Star Wars movie.  Especially given its clumsy execution.

That was the least of its problems. Aliens pushed strong heroines and was anti-corporate, and it kicked ass.

The biggest issue was the space chase and the secret plan (that caused Poe to go off the rails) was to “hide” on a nearby planet until “help” arrived. It did not deliver and was a time waste while Rey and Ren did real things. 2/3 of the movie was filler.

7 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

TLJ ahead of Phantom Menace, huh? Jar Jar and Pod races undoes enough of Liam Neeson and Darth Maul badassery for you to make it worse than bitch Luke drinking blue milk out the teet + 2mph space chase + Rose/Cantu Bite?

Rose vs Jar Jar was a close call but the throne room fight was bad ass enough to bump it. And young Anakin was a whiny bitch

12 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Rose vs Jar Jar was a close call but the throne room fight was bad ass enough to bump it. And young Anakin was a whiny bitch

That’s pretty fine-grained.  To me, the categories are:

Tier 1: SW movies I loved and have seen many times (Star Wars, Empire, RoTJ)

Tier 2: SW movies I liked enough to sit through it again (Rogue One)

Tier 3: SW movies I enjoyed but not enough to sit through a second viewing (TFA, Solo)

Tier 4: Fucking garbage (all three prequels, TLJ)

Not sure where Episode IX falls, but it’s either Tier 2 or 3.  

I took the wife and all 5 kids to see it last night. We loved it. My youngest said it was his favorite movie ever. It was fun and action packed. I would put it 4th behind the OT. It felt like SW. It looked like SW. It was, finally, SW. The throne fight scene was awesome. The whole journey along with the resulting complications seemed like a SW story. Go see it.

• Like 1

I'm taking my 7 year old to this tomorrow.  She has seen the original trilogy and will be seeing The Force Awakens tonight. I plan to skip The Last Jedi. Are there any plot points from TLJ that I should explain beforehand? I was going to go with Luke and Snoke are both dead.  Other than those two points, if you seen IX, is there anything else from the TLJ that's relevant?

Like I said in the other thread, it wasn't good.  They spend the whole movie taking a shit on TLJ, which was a HUGE mistake as other than Empire, it was the most forward thinking(not the best) of all the movies.  Shit on Rian Johnson all you want, but at least he told a coherent story and took chances that improved the Star Wars Universe...JJ just stupidly destroyed all the good work by doing nothing but a fan service film IMO.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Like I said in the other thread, it wasn't good.  They spend the whole movie taking a shit on TLJ, which was a HUGE mistake as other than Empire, it was the most forward thinking(not the best) of all the movies.  Shit on Rian Johnson all you want, but at least he told a coherent story and took chances that improved the Star Wars Universe...JJ just stupidly destroyed all the good work by doing nothing but a fan service film IMO.

lmao, just stop.....Johnson put out a product worse than the prequels .  What forward thinking was there?  I don't think he was trying to piss off the franchises fans on purpose, but yeah, he did it on purpose and then bragged about it

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I was on the fence as to whether to see it or not, this is a huge endorsement to go

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

lmao, just stop.....Johnson put out a product worse than the prequels .  What forward thinking was there?  I don't think he was trying to piss off the franchises fans on purpose, but yeah, he did it on purpose and then bragged about it

+1. TLJ made me want to skip this one.  Glad I didn’t. 

• Like 3

If Drew hates it then it must be good. I just really can’t believe that anyone really believes that TLJ was good. They have to have been dropped on their heads while eating paint chips under the power lines in their backyards when they were kids. There is no other explanation for liking that movie.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Drew said:

I was really planning on not seeing it. I'm digging the Mandalorian so much that I figured I'll just hate this new one because in only a few episodes I already feel far more interested in the characters on the show than I've ever been in the new characters in the movies. 

But...

What drew said means I definitely will see it. Rian took a shit on the entire star wars franchise by neutering the main villian (who never should have taken his mask off) and turning both he and Luke Skywalker into whiny ass emo pieces of shit. Made Rey look like an indecisive cunt. He made every single character in the story unlikable to me. Star wars is about campy fun not some overly dramatized garbage similar to what you'll find on Lifetime Television for women and whiny ass bitchy sissy men. Fuck Rian and I'm glad Abrams just said fuck Rian too and made it actual Star Wars again. Now I'm excited to see it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hate said:

If Drew hates it then it must be good. I just really can’t believe that anyone really believes that TLJ was good. They have to have been dropped on their heads while eating paint chips under the power lines in their backyards when they were kids. There is no other explanation for liking that movie.

My problem with Drew white knighting TLJ isn't that he likes it (taste being subjective and all), but that he can actually sit there and say that we're in the vocal minority and are just being negative for the sake of bitching. It's fascinating how he can't even see the dozens of objective glaring flaws that exist in the movie without even dipping a toe into the ocean of subjective opinions.

In the past, I've compared it to me weirdly really liking Terminator: Salvation. Except that I'm still able to realize that it's an objectively bad movie; it just ticks enough boxes on my personal preference list that I manage to look past all of the imperfections. You're allowed to like objectively bad movies. I mean, who doesn't like Showgirls? But if there was a thread full of people criticizing Terminator: Salvation, I sure as shit wouldn't feel the need to tell them that they're all wrong and just being mean ol' jerks.

• Like 1

Anyone who rates TLJ lower than Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones doesn't really appreciate how bad those movies were and how poor the reception was for them. TPM was a massive letdown after waiting so long for the "next Star Wars movie".

Last Jedi had a split between the reviewers and fans, but EVERYONE agreed episodes 1 and 2 were horrible. In fact, if they had been released today then it's unlikely Episode 3 is even made (or at best, released straight to Disney Plus).

26 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

floating carrie fisher scene negates the entire movie 

My wife and I looked at each other with confused looks on our faces from the very beginning with the prank call scene.  It was all downhill from there. 

58 minutes ago, Hate said:

My wife and I looked at each other with confused looks on our faces from the very beginning with the prank call scene.  It was all downhill from there. 

“But hey, took it in a new, original direction.  Wasn’t total fan service. Blah blah blah.”  ~ TLJ fanbois and most movie critics 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Dog said:

Anyone who rates TLJ lower than Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones doesn't really appreciate how bad those movies were and how poor the reception was for them. TPM was a massive letdown after waiting so long for the "next Star Wars movie".

Last Jedi had a split between the reviewers and fans, but EVERYONE agreed episodes 1 and 2 were horrible. In fact, if they had been released today then it's unlikely Episode 3 is even made (or at best, released straight to Disney Plus).

this is not the way it was, at all

TLJ was so bad that it legitimately killed the subsequent Star Wars movie (starring fan favorite Han Solo, no less), and made people sour on TFA as well. TFA, as derivative as it was, was still a solid foundation and had people extremely excited about TLJ's release. TLJ made people resent all the new movies. I don't remember the Phantom Menace doing that. Attack of the Clones definitely did though. So kudos to Lucas and Rian.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 3

Attack of the Clones didn't kill it for me simply because I knew the payoff was coming in ROS when Anakin turned into Vader.  I had something to look forward to.  I didn't know at the time just how badly it would be done, but I was still interested.  I didn't see Solo as my interest has been damn near extinguished.  I feel like Vader on Endor when he says to Luke, "it is too late for me my son".  There is still a tiny glimmer of good inside me, but it's going to take Luke getting getting zapped with lightning right in front of me for it to manifest in liking Star Wars going forward.  I'll always love the OT and Rogue One though.