Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

At Phantom Menace premiere I attended, the audience gave it a standing ovation. A lot of hype back then. The negativity started with Jar Jar. Then by Attack of the Clones, people realized what a mess was being created.

Yes. I know it's fashionable to Plinkettize our reactions to it now, but I didn't know anyone who disliked the Phantom Menace through multiple viewings in 1999. After it had a chance to sit for a while and the novelty and excitement of stuff like the incredibly well choreographed lightsaber duel (which was something we'd never seen before) wore off, you were left with the obviously incoherent storyline and Jar Jar and poo doo jokes and the overall length, and you realized, "if it didn't have the crawl and the fanfare to start, if it wasn't Star Wars, I wouldn't even be trying to like it." 

Walking out of those movies in real time, you could say "well, there was some good and some bad". Over time, all you could really see any more was the bad.

Everyone's attitude by 2000 was, "man, that should have been better, it's really disappointing". It was NOT "that was the biggest pile of shit ever put together", which is a fairly common response to TLJ. I think people were honestly surprised in 1999/2000 that a Star Wars movie could be objectively, outright bad. No one was surprised by 2017. 

I am NOT comparing the films themselves. They're both piles of shit, I don't care which one anyone thinks draws fewer flies. I am comparing the difference in audience response and attitude. TLJ had a much tougher uphill climb than TPM because it followed three terrible prequels and a mediocre reboot, so fans were already predisposed to skepticism. Disney compounded that by insisting on hamfisted stuntcasting and capital-M Messaging, along with Rian Johnson's fetish for doing the opposite of what both casual and diehard fans wanted. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 4

I’d watch a 24 hour Episode 1 and 2 marathon before I’d watch TLJ for the second time. It’s the only Star Wars movie I’ve only seen once.

AOTC is pure unadulterated garbage. Saw it in the theater, will never watch it again. TLJ is cringe-worthy in parts but I don’t think it’s as bad as Clones. Of course that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

20 hours ago, Drew said:

Like I said in the other thread, it wasn't good.  They spend the whole movie taking a shit on TLJ, which was a HUGE mistake as other than Empire, it was the most forward thinking(not the best) of all the movies.  Shit on Rian Johnson all you want, but at least he told a coherent story and took chances that improved the Star Wars Universe...JJ just stupidly destroyed all the good work by doing nothing but a fan service film IMO.

You should keep your opinions limited to the other thread. 

Just saw Episode IX. Loved it. If you’re on the fence, go see it. 

Like most things the movies were not as bad or as great as hyped. I suspect the new one will be ok.

I also think they fucked up a bit of the storyline and seeing Luke as a whiney hermit Jedi was disappointing. Same goes for Rey/snoke having innate force control.

Baby Yoda’s possible innate control also seems to be in attempt to maintain consistency.

On 12/21/2019 at 8:58 AM, Eskimohorn said:

killing 

At Phantom Menace premiere I attended, the audience gave it a standing ovation. A lot of hype back then. The negativity started with Jar Jar. Then by Attack of the Clones, people realized what a mess was being created.

I think I saw Attack of the Clones in New York at one of the theaters where they do big premieres. Remember the scene where Padme and Emo Vader are on Lake Como and Emo can't be with her and he says "I can't tell you how much it's killing me"? Someone from the audience yelled out "It's killing us too!". Just literally the best New York moment ever.

AOTC was a rotten piece of shit and everybody knew it was garbage even when they were watching it.

Yes. I know it's fashionable to Plinkettize our reactions to it now, but I didn't know anyone who disliked the Phantom Menace through multiple viewings in 1999.

My dad drove up and we saw it opening day at the old abandoned Cinemark on Walsh Tarleton. Everyone was hyped. Many were in costume. The instant the LucasFilm logo hit, everyone went nuts. The instant it was over, it was dead silent. Walking out it was like walking out of Shindlers List. I don’t remember calling it bad at the time but no one in that theater thought it was good. Shitting on it in that moment would’ve been like denouncing god. Eventually though, you realized your instinct was right and it was complete bullshit.
  • Like 1

Really enjoyed it, but I spent the car ride home trying to piece it back in order and just gave up.  It was a disjointed mess because they tried to pack so much into it, but don't care.  It was worth it and I'll probably go see it a couple of more times in the theater.  Certainly IMAX.  If I can't recall it by then it's Alzheimers. 

• Like 1

floating carrie fisher scene negates the entire movie 

I’ve never understood this take. If you tied a rope to something much more massive than you in zero G and pulled on it, what would happen? That’s all she did. She just didn’t need the rope.

And she was certainly out there a short enough time to survive (in really bad shape).

When your "clout" as Skywalker, won't rise:

*(meanwhile, Disney just keeps knocking out the competition):

Nov 25, 2019 - Disney Plus' "The Mandalorian" is the most in-demand original streaming series in the US, according to Parrot Analytics. The live-action "Star Wars" series surpassed Netflix's "Stranger Things," which was at the top for 21 straight weeks. Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Edited by kopp0e

On 12/22/2019 at 1:52 PM, Thetexashammer said:

I think I saw Attack of the Clones in New York at one of the theaters where they do big premieres. Remember the scene where Padme and Emo Vader are on Lake Como and Emo can't be with her and he says "I can't tell you how much it's killing me"? Someone from the audience yelled out "It's killing us too!". Just literally the best New York moment ever.

AOTC was a rotten piece of shit and everybody knew it was garbage even when they were watching it.

AOTC is easily the worst film in the series. TLJ is 2nd worst.  TRoS is okay, but they really fucked up the bad guy again in this trilogy. No more whiny emo bad guys please. 

Also, Phantom Menace is the best prequel. Jar Jar sucked, but really he isn't all that much more annoying than C3PO. The acting was decent. The fight and action scenes were good. The difference maker is the fact that Jake Lloyd played Anakin instead of Christenson.  No Star Wars film has ever had great dialog, but the actors always worked with it. Christenson had all the charisma of a piece of wood. It made AOTC and ROTS go from bad to worse. 

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

AOTC is easily the worst film in the series. TLJ is 2nd worst.  TRoS is okay, but they really fucked up the bad guy again in this trilogy. No more whiny emo bad guys please. 

Also, Phantom Menace is the best prequel. Jar Jar sucked, but really he isn't all that much more annoying than C3PO. The acting was decent. The fight and action scenes were good. The difference maker is the fact that Jake Lloyd played Anakin instead of Christenson.  No Star Wars film has ever had great dialog, but the actors always worked with it. Christenson had all the charisma of a piece of wood. It made AOTC and ROTS go from bad to worse. 

I love solid lightsaber fights, but dare I say TPM’s duel of fates may have been a little TOO much? The choreograph, though fucking great to watch, seemed unnatural given the story at hand. I wish Lucas had dialed it back just a little bit there. He has the subtlety of a punch to the face. 

Edited by The People’s Elbow

On 12/22/2019 at 12:52 PM, Thetexashammer said:

Someone from the audience yelled out "It's killing us too!". Just literally the best New York moment ever.

Always wanted to be the guy that cracked the theater up.  Happened when we saw Rise of Skywalker.  The end up in that quicksand, and everyone goes under.  Some wise ass shouts out, "The End!"  He got lots of laughs.

• Like 1

Went with the family today. It was piss.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Always wanted to be the guy that cracked the theater up.  Happened when we saw Rise of Skywalker.  The end up in that quicksand, and everyone goes under.  Some wise ass shouts out, "The End!"  He got lots of laughs.

Exactly what I said to my wife at that scene...

the sad thing is that marvel gave everyone the blueprint for how to successfully create seemingly disparate movies into a cohesive whole. the fact that star wars and DC still can't get it right fucking amazes me. just have a central core team which dictate the central story lines which each movie must add and adhere to. you can still go off and do great creative stuff but have important story lines followed throughout.
lulz...

you dont fucking get it. Star Wars was and is about saturday matinee serials. it is supposed to be crap with shitty dialogue and plot holes out the ass. when lucas tried filling plot holes we got the shitty prequels. force awakens went back to the core. last got woke which the moron critics love and it was shit.
  • Like 1

Abrams and Kennedy are ultimately to blame.  It’s fine that Harrison would only come back if they killed him off.  And it’s fine if Abrams wants to be lazy and remake A New Hope.  
For many, it’s not fine that Abrams obliterated the happy ending of ROTJ, and it was the last chance to have Han/Luke/Leia together one last time, and Abrams completely whiffed on it.  And Kennedy or somebody above her should have said “you need the trio together one last time”.     
lulz

the atlantic:
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/12/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-review/603790/
The Most Incoherent Star Wars Movie Ever Made
The Rise of Skywalker, the saga’s ninth entry, all but drowns in a sea of nostalgia and infinite plot points.
but also in the atlantic review, which would indicate they don't get it:
Charming characters from the last installment, such as Rose Tico (Kelly Marie Tran), are sadly sidelined, and Johnson’s core argument about the irrelevance of the past has been swiftly forgotten.

the atlantic are woke morons

• 2 weeks later...

Better than TLJ by a mile.  But that's not that hard to do.  Honestly, I'm not even sure what I watched and I read all the spoilers before I even saw it.  Saw it with mullet jr. jr. in his first trip back here in quite a while, so that puts it up there.  I've seen all the movies with him, so that's always special.  I think he felt about the same way as his comment too was "better than the last one".  I might have to see it again.

• 2 weeks later...

rewatched rogue one last night, just cuz.  Friggin superior to all the other 10 movies out there.  Concise storyline, good pathos, callbacks to earlier characters were not overdone, best CG actions shots out of all of them.  Still got a boner during the Vader scene.  I could go on...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, freyguy said:

rewatched rogue one last night, just cuz.  Friggin superior to all the other 10 movies out there.  Concise storyline, good pathos, callbacks to earlier characters were not overdone, best CG actions shots out of all of them.  Still got a boner during the Vader scene.  I could go on...

It's so vastly superior to any of the others 

Finally saw it last night.  The bar was low, but I think they cleared it.  Chewy getting his medal righted a wrong from the first movie.  Leia CGI was better than expected.  Overall, I was entertained, but certainly nothing to write home about.  I got a little teary-eyed in the opening crawl knowing this was the last time I will ever see that in a theater.  

Also, who the fuck did Palpatine bone?

On 1/18/2020 at 11:39 AM, freyguy said:

It's an awesome movie. Dare I say the best droid throughout any of the movies too?

Finally saw it last night.  The bar was low, but I think they cleared it.  Chewy getting his medal righted a wrong from the first movie.  Leia CGI was better than expected.  Overall, I was entertained, but certainly nothing to write home about.  I got a little teary-eyed in the opening crawl knowing this was the last time I will ever see that in a theater.  
Also, who the fuck did Palpatine bone?

The last crawl that mattered was in 1983. It’s been Weekend at Bernie’s ever since.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well I wasn’t old enough to see that. Let me have this dammit!

You're fine.  This movie was entertaining, and I too was sad that it was the last time I'd see that crawl for a genuine Star Wars movie.  And that's coming from someone who saw the original Star Wars in its first run at Fox Triplex theater on Airport Blvd.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the first Indiana Jones with the kids tonight. It's currently on netflix. 

The credits came on and one name caught my eye

Spoiler

Associate to Mr. Spielberg   Kathleen Kennedy.

Quite a career from Associate to Mr. Spielberg to President of Lucas Films and ruining Star Wars