Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

JJ loves his fan service. I got a B-Wing sighting that made me happy so I'm just as guilty of loving fan service as others. And I do love that JJ was able to shoehorn in another Death Star, which in actuality is the actual Death Star. 

Edited by mdmost

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

He was going to teach Anakin how to transcend the powers of death, so he knows. 

So he’s going to die again? And come back again in 12? Snoke was a perfectly good villain. Let go of the past, unless you don’t know how to end the series, then bring back all the old guys. Guarantee Han shows up at some point. 

3 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

So he’s going to die again? And come back again in 12? Snoke was a perfectly good villain. Let go of the past, unless you don’t know how to end the series, then bring back all the old guys. Guarantee Han shows up at some point. 

It’s like Game 7 of the World Series, everyone’s available. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Bringing back the emperor is so incredibly lazy. Zero chance there is a good reason he’s still alive. 

Snoke executed Order 67 and had the Camino birds do the Palpatine-Luke hand hybrid clone (Rey) that would eventually be the host for Palpatine’s spirit. In the post credit scenes, Padme and Rey will execute Order 69.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

LOL. “This movie makes Attack of the Clones look like Citizen Kane.” I like the “self” awareness that mistakes were made on his part, but these new movies, especially Last Jedi, shit over all of it and the whole series needs to die. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

16 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Bringing back the emperor is so incredibly lazy. Zero chance there is a good reason he’s still alive. 

JJ has already said the story begins and ends with the Emperor. He's the constant ultimate villain in the series. Everything in the series is predicated on his schemes. He lured Anakin to the dark side by talking of cheating death. We've seen that in a sense with Force Ghosts on the light side of the Force. Cheating death on the Dark Side has never been delved into unless it was somewhere in the nerdy EU.  In Lucas terms, "it's like poetry, it rhymes".

And the Death Star wreckage is on an ocean moon of Endor.

In the trailers for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, you caught glimpses of the ocean moon Kef Bir.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

JJ has already said the story begins and ends with the Emperor. He's the constant ultimate villain in the series. Everything in the series is predicated on his schemes. He lured Anakin to the dark side by talking of cheating death. We've seen that in a sense with Force Ghosts on the light side of the Force. Cheating death on the Dark Side has never been delved into unless it was somewhere in the nerdy EU.  In Lucas terms, "it's like poetry, it rhymes".

And the Death Star wreckage is on an ocean moon of Endor.

sigh. 

except, you know, there has been no hint of the emperor at all over the past two movies.

rian johnson killed JJ's big bad, and he's left to pick up the pieces. 

because no one decided to write out or even fucking outline this trilogy before beginning it. 

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

sigh. 

except, you know, there has been no hint of the emperor at all over the past two movies.

rian johnson killed JJ's big bad, and he's left to pick up the pieces. 

because no one decided to write out or even fucking outline this trilogy before beginning it. 

Of course. We are in agreement on that. It should've been JJ the whole time just like it was Lucas the whole time but he handed off directing duties to others. Or have Kasdan write all three. The problem was Disney rushing the first one out and not taking their time to build the entire story. But let's be honest, Snoke was a taller Emperor clone. We've discussed the JJ hanging threads before. Just silly to not have a cohesive message from one writer to the next. I tease those on here who seem bitter about the ST but I get it. I'd rather have more Rogue Ones than sequels. I'm thrilled for The Mandalorian, just from the perspective of it will be something completely new and not Jedi related.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Of course. We are in agreement on that. It should've been JJ the whole time just like it was Lucas the whole time but he handed off directing duties to others. Or have Kasdan write all three. The problem was Disney rushing the first one out and not taking their time to build the entire story. But let's be honest, Snoke was a taller Emperor clone. We've discussed the JJ hanging threads before. Just silly to not have a cohesive message from one writer to the next. I tease those on here who seem bitter about the ST but I get it. I'd rather have more Rogue Ones than sequels. I'm thrilled for The Mandalorian, just from the perspective of it will be something completely new and not Jedi related.

yeah, i kind of agree on the one offs. or a brand new jedi-type story or something.

but yeah, the problem was disney rushing, and a lack of vision and leadership at the top to say whoa, let's tell a story, what are the elements of this story and who are the bad guys, and how does it end? it just doesn't make sense from a storytelling perspective. say what you want about some of the inconsistencies of the original trilogy (leia planting one on luke at the beginning of empire tells the world lucas didn't have her as luke's sister just yet), but still, it was headed in a singular direction with some well-developed bad guys, a few twists, and a cohesive story.

this shit is all over the place. but here's hoping.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:10 PM, mdmost said:

Well drew and I will just have to enjoy it ourselves then. 

Feel like I left my boy hanging for 2 days.  So here I come with a stream of consciousness,

Then I'll scurry away because watching the group think of people already pretending to hate a movie that basically looks awesome, and having them attack and attack and attack, is not how I want to spend my week.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:31 PM, mdmost said:

Possible spoiler for Rebels fans

Hide contents

Check out what's on the right of the MF

Hide contents

LeS0R5m.png

Absolutely the first thing I did when I saw that shot was look for that ship.  It' was like a bright light just shining on it.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:59 PM, Hate said:

Rip will probably like it too. The trailer looks pretty fucking bad though.

I'm sorry, I know you're probably turned off by the series...but that trailer? THAT trailer looks bad?

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, CooterBrown said:

Bought tickets but that trailer was underwhelming.

It reminded me of the last trailer for Last Jedi in that there was no discernible plot points or story and we later found out that the movie was devoid of anything resembling a coherent story.

I just don't get you guys...you bitch and complain that trailers give away too much, THEN turn around and say they didn't give enough plot. What the fuck do you want?

And that trailer was awesome.  The perfect blend of absolutely beautiful shots/scenes, some nice action shots, a total epicness in scale, and the fucking music.  And those of you that didn't get emotional at all when C3P0(you know the very first fucking character we ever met in SW) is basically saying good bye...along with the Leia scenes, and the "Always" at the end, then your fucking cynicism has won over, and you should probably should just not even watch it. 

I'd feel a lot better if you fuckers didn't even watch it so you can't come in pretending that a good movie was trash(like you did with TLJ, which had some flaws, but overall was a very good movie, IMO). 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, Red Five said:

I probably wasn’t supposed to laugh out loud at the Threepio part of that trailer huh.

Because you're not really a SW fan.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, longhrnfan said:

Fuck all of y'all haters. I'm stoked.

And if you didn't get chills from "The force will be with you" "Always," then I feel bad for you.

Absolutely.  Fucking laughing...Jesus Christ.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:45 AM, mdmost said:

Sadly for drew, I think this is actually the planet Endor is the moon of, given Endor is supposed to be comprised of nothing but trees. 

If there's 1 fucking Ewok in this movie, I might have to flip to the other side.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I would give JJ a lot of credit if he flips Jacen to the good side, and Jaina becomes the Sith in the process.

Can't do that since these characters are NOT either on of those EU characters, despite how hard the stupid SW community, and the ones that hate the new movies, want them to be.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, crash_davis said:

saw this on reddit. this may be as bad as the leia superman shit.

cavalry in space.

https://i.imgur.com/fw8kKMG.gifv

They're not in fucking space.  Watch the trailer and pay close attention.  Besides it's a really cool looking shot.  Jesus.

20 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Do you even Star Wars, bro?

3 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

Maybe there will be sea ewoks... seawoks.

I'm this close to jumping off a cliff...

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Agreed one hundred percent.  While I, and mdmost, are obviously in the minority on Surly of actually liking the new movies(especially TLJ), we do share the one huge complaint that there3 should have been one person at least writing the story to link all 3 movies.  Despite that, they have not done a bad job at all, and I love what they've done with the movies, and the EU.

I'll see you guys in a few months.

Edited by Drew
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Seek help. 

Nah, the folks in here need MUCH more help than me.

23 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Imagine how amazing life would be if your standards were as low as Drew's.

You mean, as in, I don't hate everything and everyone, and actually enjoy movies?

Yeah, I get to go through life and not think everything sucks.

BTW, TLJ and these new SW movies aren't bad.  It's just a bunch of regurgitated group think that keeps reinforcing your own opinions, that keep making seem that way.  Sorry I have an actual opinion of my own and can enjoy my single favorite franchise. 

Just don't watch it.  You won't be saddled with depression and have to see my posts praising greatness, and I can actually talk to people who enjoy movies again.  

Win/Win. 

Edited by Drew

I cannot take anyone that liked TLJ seriously.  That wasn't just the worst Star Wars movie, it's in the running for worst movies of all time.  It's the only Star Wars movie I haven't seen more than once and will remain that way. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

I cannot take anyone that liked TLJ seriously.  That wasn't just the worst Star Wars movie, it's in the running for worst movies of all time.  It's the only Star Wars movie I haven't seen more than once and will remain that way. 

I remember posting on As I walked out of the theater that it was as bad as AotC.  I stand by it. 

Luke's sister was not Leia until Jedi.

This is important because it lends credence to comments by “The Empire Strikes Back” producer Gary Kurtz, who told TheForce.Net:

She’s not his sister. That dropped in to wrap up everything neatly. His sister was someone else way over on the other side of the galaxy and she wasn’t going to show up until the next episode.

Gary Kurtz Reveals Original Plans for Episodes 1-9
pixel.gif
Posted By Paul on May 26, 1999

Gary Kurtz, the producer of ANH and ESB, spoke at the Sci-Fi Expo in Plano, TX this weekend along with his daughters Tiffany and Melissa (as children they played Jawas in ANH). He shared with the crowd about meeting Lucas, leaving the Star Wars films and the original plans for the entire saga.

Back in the early 70s, Kurtz was looking to use the new Technoscope technology in an upcoming film. Francis Ford Coppola hooked him up with George Lucas who had recently filmed TXH-1138 with Technoscope. Kurtz became interested in Lucas' planned American Graffiti and the partnership was born.

When the time came to produce ROTJ, Kurtz was unhappy with the story direction Lucas was taking. He felt that it was too much of a rehash of the first films with no real challenges. At the same time, Jim Henson was inviting him to produce his experimental film, Dark Crystal, which he chose instead.

Kurtz gave TPM a mixed review as he was clouded by plans made for Episode 1 back in the early 70s. As someone involved with Star Wars from the initial concepts, Kurtz revealed the original intentions for the nine films as they were laid out BEFORE 1980. Very interesting.

• EPISODE 1: Was to focus on the origins of the Jedi Knights and how they are initiated and trained
    • EPISODE 2: Introduction and development of Obi-Wan Kenobi
      • EPISODE 3: Introduction and life of Vader
        • EPISODE 4: There were seven different drafts of the film. At one point, they pursued buying the rights to Hidden Fortress because of the strong similarities. At one point, Luke was a female, Han was Luke's brother, Luke's father was the one in prison (interesting point for some debates) and the film featured 40 wookies
          • EPISODE 5: Once written, the screenplay of Empire is almost exactly what is seen on screen. The only cut scenes were those involving wampas in the rebel base (cut because of time and unsolved technical glitches) and about two minutes of Luke/Yoda Jedi training with no real dialog.
            • EPISODE 6: Leia was to be elected "Queen of her people" leaving her isolated. Han was to die. Luke confronted Vader and went on with his life alone. Leia was not to be Luke's sister.
              • EPISODE 7: Third trilogy was to focus on Luke's life as a Jedi, with very few details planned out.
                • EPISODE 8: Luke's sister (not Leia) appears from another part of the galaxy.
                  • EPISODE 9: First appearance of the Emperor.

Edited by mdmost