Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

On 12/11/2019 at 9:05 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

The consensus is that Rey is a Palpatine, either as his grandchild, a clone, or the child of a clone. He stayed alive powered by the spirits of all previous fallen Sith. He created or recruited Snoke to build the First Order as a vehicle to take over the galaxy again whenever he drained the life energy from a Skywalker or Rey. Maybe wanted to co-run things with Rey, or pass the torch to her.

Leia dies remotely trying to save Rey from Kylo by distracting him and/or trying to redeem Ben. Kylo realizes he’s been a pawn all along and flips back. There may or may not be a hallucination where he see Harrison Ford telling him to ditch the dark side. Rey and Kylo confront decrepit Palps who tries to drain their life force. Ben dies but Rey uses her force manipulation powers to bring him back. Rey dies killing Palpatine. Ben returns the favor by transferring his remaining life energy to bring back Rey and he dies again. No more Skywalkers. Final scene, the crew visits the Lars igloos on Tatooine where she buries Anakin, Luke, and Leia’s lightsabers in sand (I hate sand! Final burn on Anakin!) and takes on the Skywalker surname.

Even if this is just 50% true I'm not paying money to see it. 

Guess I should get into rebels and clone wars. Does it matter which one first?

Watch the Clone Wars movie first. You can turn it off after the first big battle, but the battle is really good and important character is introduced.

Then the Clone Wars series. There are characters and storylines that could be confusing if you do Rebels first.

There’s a ton of Clone Wars episodes. Unless you just want to watch them all I recommend using this guide. Note that season six is not included.

658df2c5e5bc2316305b1d33598ea288.jpg

I won't buy a ticket for Skywalker until I read some reviews. Lucas Films put a gag order on critics posting reviews online until early Wednesday morning. I think they know it sucks. After reading the above spoilers, I don't expect I'll see it in theaters. Hopefully this finally takes the shine of JJ Abrams. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

We'll be there xmas day at the Drafthouse. I don't know that my wife & I will burst out into laughter the way we did in the theater when we heard the infamous "I hate sand' line from ROTS (and got the stink eye from some SW nerds who took umbrage), or the Leia Poppins moment from the last one, but one never knows.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I won't buy a ticket for Skywalker until I read some reviews. Lucas Films put a gag order on critics posting reviews online until early Wednesday morning. I think they know it sucks. After reading the above spoilers, I don't expect I'll see it in theaters. Hopefully this finally takes the shine of JJ Abrams. 

I watch a few of the YouTubers who actually know their stuff and point out a lot of things, and the critic embargoes are becoming very common with sci-fi/fantasy/comic movies.   Especially because they are holding more and more private screenings for the critics/YouTubers.   It’s a wonder more stuff doesn't leak out.    Of course, the embargo maybe that the movie is utter shit.  

This is a confusing take - reviewers loved Last Jedi. Are you hoping the reviews are bad?

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I watch a few of the YouTubers who actually know their stuff and point out a lot of things, and the critic embargoes are becoming very common with sci-fi/fantasy/comic movies.   Especially because they are holding more and more private screenings for the critics/YouTubers.   It’s a wonder more stuff doesn't leak out.    Of course, the embargo maybe that the movie is utter shit.  

Recommendations for Youtubers? 

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You keep that $8 and let the internet tell you what you will, and will not, like. Out of...principle?

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm like 90% sure that Disney pumped up TLJ reviews under the table. I mean how do you get a critic/audience discrepancy like this https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

6 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

We'll be there xmas day at the Drafthouse. I don't know that my wife & I will burst out into laughter the way we did in the theater when we heard the infamous "I hate sand' line from ROTS (and got the stink eye from some SW nerds who took umbrage), or the Leia Poppins moment from the last one, but one never knows.

Was sitting next to an 18 yr. old at TLJ, we talked before the film, his dad was my age and obviously had introduced him into the Star Wars galaxy because of that.  He was pumped to see the newest film and told me he thought it would be great!

I'd held my tongue for most of the early part of the movie...chuckling a bit because of the stupidity of the prank call, but when Leia Poppins showed up I let out an audible "No fucking way".  I'm not the type that talks during movies, but I was literally stunned at the absurdity.

After the movie, I turned towards the kid to see what he thought, he was fucking gone.  Good to know it wasn't a generational thing or me just being an asshole.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm like 90% sure that Disney pumped up TLJ reviews under the table. I mean how do you get a critic/audience discrepancy like this https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

Only 90% sure?

Disney straight up wouldn't let the LA Times come to screenings because they refused to suck Disney's dick and were out there exposing their bullshit.  Eventually the pushback forced them to change their stance. 

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-et-mn-disney-lifts-ban-20171107-story.html

Of course, that doesn't mean Disney has changed one bit.  They can easily pressure smaller outlets/critics/etc.  And of course, there is implicit pressure to write favorable reviews because, as a critic, you need the early screenings to get a jump on your competition, stay relevant, and keep getting invited back.  Oh, and the swag Disney hands out, getting to meet the actors, etc. 

These Disney/Marvel movies get equivalent or higher critic ratings than all-time masterpieces.  The Last Jedi is 91% on RT.  The Shawshank Redemption?  90%.  Come on.

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Audiences are stupid and people that vote in those polls are the stupidest most vindictive of the bunch.  I guess you believe all those polls that say aggy is better than tu

7 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Only 90% sure?

Disney straight up wouldn't let the LA Times come to screenings because they refused to suck Disney's dick and were out there exposing their bullshit.  Eventually the pushback forced them to change their stance. 

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-et-mn-disney-lifts-ban-20171107-story.html

Of course, that doesn't mean Disney has changed one bit.  They can easily pressure smaller outlets/critics/etc.  And of course, there is implicit pressure to write favorable reviews because, as a critic, you need the early screenings to get a jump on your competition, stay relevant, and keep getting invited back.  Oh, and the swag Disney hands out, getting to meet the actors, etc. 

These Disney/Marvel movies get equivalent or higher critic ratings than all-time masterpieces.  The Last Jedi is 91% on RT.  The Shawshank Redemption?  90%.  Come on.

Lol shawshank redemption as an all time masterpiece 

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Audiences are stupid and people that vote in those polls are the stupidest most vindictive of the bunch.  I guess you believe all those polls that say aggy is better than tu

Go ahead and find another movie that is 90% critic and below 50% audience. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Go ahead and find another movie that is 90% critic and below 50% audience. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

I'll let you guess what those 2 movies have in common and why some "audience voters" might have an ulterior motive

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

I'll let you guess what those 2 movies have in common and why some "audience voters" might have an ulterior motive

13 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Are any of those good movies though? I think you're kind of proving my point. And I don't think TLJ was SJW enough to get rated into oblivion. 

Was sitting next to an 18 yr. old at TLJ, we talked before the film, his dad was my age and obviously had introduced him into the Star Wars galaxy because of that.  He was pumped to see the newest film and told me he thought it would be great!
I'd held my tongue for most of the early part of the movie...chuckling a bit because of the stupidity of the prank call, but when Leia Poppins showed up I let out an audible "No fucking way".  I'm not the type that talks during movies, but I was literally stunned at the absurdity.
After the movie, I turned towards the kid to see what he thought, he was fucking gone.  Good to know it wasn't a generational thing or me just being an asshole.

My kid saw The Force Awakens five times in the theater, and fell asleep halfway through TLJ.
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

They always do this.  Reviews for TLJ weren't released until Wed either.  The only thing we got were Twitter no spoiler posts after the World Premier.  I think you're overreacting.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, ztejas said:

Because the audience sometimes over reacts?  If one portion of the fan base starts acting up, it grows and festers and infects the rest.  The movie didn't suck nearly as bad as you people make out, but since you heard it did so much it became a fact to the sheep.

20 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Damn. True.

18 hours ago, The Dog said:

So if the reviews are bad then the movie sucks.

If the reviews are good then Disney paid for them to be good, and the movie still sucks.

Am I doing this right?

Pretty much how it works.  Whatever fits the narrative.  Most people in this thread have already decided that Rise of Skywalker WILL suck, so nothing short of Godfather Part 2 would make them say they actually liked it.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

they should learn to be more objective about Star Wars

like you are

We are objective about Star Wars, but a lot of us objectively think that TLJ sucked shit through a paper straw.  Michael White Knight and Drew think we suck and are infected with Star Wars bias when judging a Star Wars film.  Then they get pissed when we’re skeptical about how you can wrap up a trilogy when the middle picture show is still going leave you with a shit sandwich.  But hey, it’s all objective 

Edited by Trey3216

Ok so based on the reviews that are out so far, If you liked TLJ then you’ll be disappointed in this movie(so basically just me) and if you hated TLJ you’ll love it.

But I suspect, with this being surly and all, you’ll STILL hate it and prove to everyone, once again, that people on this site, in general, just hate everything.

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d say reactions are mixed. The plot is supposed to be very convoluted. 

That’s what I saw.  The best expectation-setting reaction I read had glowing things to say, before ranking Episode IX as the #2 movie of the new trilogy.  Talk about damning with faint praise.

I liked TFA--even if I thought they played it safe and undid a lot of the original trilogy by remaking the first movie--and generally like most of what Abrams puts out, so I'll give this one a chance. In a vacuum, TFA was a fun, very watchable popcorn movie.

But man, what a tough ask to pick up the mess that TLJ left. No antagonist, entire rebellion/resistance fits into one ship, force powers all over the map, no original characters left except Lando (Carrie Fisher dying is about the only thing that isn't Rian's fault), Luke, even if he comes back as a ghost, is a bitch now, completely useless characters like Rose and Del Toro introduced, main characters Poe and Rey literally just met for the first time. Poe is some combination of neutered/idiotic. Finn probably should have just stayed asleep.

The only story arch that I remotely still care about is the Rey/Ben dynamic. And I can't think up a single way that they could re-introduce the emperor that isn't going to make me roll my eyes...but, I mean, what's the alternative? Introducing a completely new big bad in the final movie that's been behind everything the whole time?

I haven't read anything specific to the movie but it's obviously, from the trailers and TV spots, JJ's homage/redux of Return of the Jedi. Desert World, check. All the team together for a mission on that planet, check. Emperor as the big bad, check. Endor or it's moon, check. Death Star, check. Giant space battle between Rebelsistance and First Ordempire with Lando, check. Rey and Kylo lightsaber battle at the urging/puppeteering of the Emperor, probably a check. Probable Dark side guy's redemption where he becomes light side guy again...remains to be seen. This is what JJ does, he plays the hits. 

Edited by mdmost