Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

On 5/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, Michael Knight said:

The weakest parts of the new trilogy is its reliance on the old stars to carry the narrative.  Mark Hamil Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford were all just bad,  Ford can't act anymore and the other 2 never were very good to begin with. I'm pretty sure Billy Dee is gonna be a shit show too.

Has the force taught you nothing?

th?id=OIP.UCjHcmIPAfn_MNCFq869gwAAAA&pid

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Rogue One will go down in history as the definitive Star Wars movie as children for generations to come will all idolize its memorable and iconic characters like ... the girl, the Asian guy, and Darth Vader.

YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT!!!!!

1OYk.gif

• Like 2

they should stop trying to come up with new Star Wars stories and just make every movie a plucky teen heroine racing to find a MacGuffin before Darth Vader, and the last forty minutes is her heroic counterparts trying to hold him off as he mows everyone down with his red lightsaber until at the end she just gets the Macguffin transmitted before defiantly giving a speech and then letting him kill her 

18 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

they should stop trying to come up with new Star Wars stories and just make every movie a plucky teen heroine racing to find a MacGuffin before Darth Vader, and the last forty minutes is her heroic counterparts trying to hold him off as he mows everyone down with his red lightsaber until at the end she just gets the Macguffin transmitted before defiantly giving a speech and then letting him kill her 

can't be any worse than TLJ.  

Milking a fucking space cow.  sweet jebus.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, Michael Knight said:

The weakest parts of the new trilogy is its reliance on the old stars to carry the narrative.  Mark Hamil Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford were all just bad,  Ford can't act anymore and the other 2 never were very good to begin with. I'm pretty sure Billy Dee is gonna be a shit show too.

They're not great actors, but they're at least competent. I'm not a Star Wars fan. I remember watching the first one and thinking, man, that's some sorry ass dialogue.  Fisher has a line something like, "Vader, I thought I smelled your foul stench."   What are you supposed to do with a line like that?

George Lucas is a lucky hack. Howard the Duck out front could have told ya.

1a. 4

1b. 5

2. R1

3. ROTJ

4. You decide.

I think 4 gets forgotten too often, its really a great fucking film.  Solo, ehhh, I tried to watch it again, made it about halfway thru.  I never could get past Woody in a SW film, just seemed like an odd fit.  Harrison Ford (at 4 or 5 age) playing that part for example would have been fantastic.  In fact the entire main cast of Solo just seemed odd, not sure why.

• Like 1

Rogue One is stupid and pointless and people like it because it has Darth Vader making things go splodey

That’s an unfair reduction. No doubt the scene at the end helps the movie and no doubt it has some uneven moments (as many movies even some considered much better than anything Star Wars has to offer do)

But there are also a lot of other really good and sometimes awesome moments. Chirrut and Baze are consistently engaging (and to me the “I am one with the force and the force is with me” is a better scene than Vader splattering shit)

And if you can’t enjoy K2SO I don’t know what to tel you.
  • Like 3

Rogue One was an hour and a half of boring dumb shit followed by 30 minutes of fun Star Wars stuff, and then 2 minutes of the most egregious fan service I have ever seen. 

TLJ was 2.5 hours of mindnumbingly stupid characters constantly making poor decisions that leaves you wondering if Jar Jar Binks wrote the script. 

11 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Rogue One was an hour and a half of boring dumb shit followed by 30 minutes of fun Star Wars stuff, and then 2 minutes of the most egregious fan service I have ever seen. 

TLJ was 2.5 hours of mindnumbingly stupid characters constantly making poor decisions that leaves you wondering if Jar Jar Binks wrote the script. 

seeing the death star blow shit up was boring? The rebel attack on Eadu was boring?  It was a bit slow at first but it jumped around a lot like Marcia Lucas would have edited it....that in itself always keeps you a bit engaged.

What my son said in the first 5 minutes was all I needed to know about R1

whispers "Dad, this is gonna be good!"

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The only part of Rogue One that sucked was the mind octopus. The rest is easily the best Star Wars of the Disney era. I'm not really sure what people actually want out of these movies if Rogue One is considered dumb shit. 

i'd like to see thor.

I need to re-watch Rouge One because I'm not sure I understand the love for it. And the Vader scene is amazing, I don't think it was fan service at all, they tied up the arc pretty well imo. 

Putting it in the top 3 seems egregious, unless you're one of those people who just hates Ewoks so much that you can't enjoy Jedi (and fuck TLJ Jedi is Jedi) for being a very solid SW film. 

I'd implore some of you to watch 3, 4, 5, 6 in Machete order if you're looking to rewatch the OT - which is where you go 4, 5, 3, 6. It makes ROTS and Jedi both stand out more. 

(you can save the HERP DERP JUST SKIP THE PREQUEL joke - we get it, George Lucas ruined your childhood)

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I need to re-watch Rouge One because I'm not sure I understand the love for it. And the Vader scene is amazing, I don't think it was fan service at all, they tied up the arc pretty well imo. 

Putting it in the top 3 seems egregious, unless you're one of those people who just hates Ewoks so much that you can't enjoy Jedi (and fuck TLJ Jedi is Jedi) for being a very solid SW film. 

I'd implore some of you to watch 3, 4, 5, 6 in Machete order if you're looking to rewatch the OT - which is where you go 4, 5, 3, 6. It makes ROTS and Jedi both stand out more. 

(you can save the HERP DERP JUST SKIP THE PREQUEL joke - we get it, George Lucas ruined your childhood)

No herp derp jokes, just a genuine opinion.  I've watched in machete order but for me, Revenge of the Sith still just isn't good enough to interject into the original trilogy, nor does it have the same look/feel/tone as the original trilogy.  So it just sticks out and doesn't match.

I've watched the prequels with my kids a few times, but I've never willingly turned any of those three on for myself, or stumbled across them on TNT or whatever and continued to watch, in the same way I still do for the original trilogy.  I was kinder than most to the prequel trilogy, but I also don't ever really have any desire to watch them. 

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I've watched in machete order but for me, Revenge of the Sith still just isn't good enough to interject into the original trilogy, nor does it have the same look/feel/tone as the original trilogy. 

But that's my point, you at least gave it a shot. I totally get why people don't like the prequels - to me though they fit in better with the canon than the new ones (maybe R1 aside, but that's a completely different side story).

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

But that's my point, you at least gave it a shot. I totally get why people don't like the prequels - to me though they fit in better with the canon than the new ones (maybe R1 aside, but that's a completely different side story).

Yeah, I know it's an unpopular opinion around here, but I actually like 7 and 8 way more than 1,2,3.  They have plenty of issues, but they look and feel a lot more like a Star Wars movie, than the prequels did.  Some of it is the use of practical effects, some of it is the writing and direction, but they fit a LOT more in the Star Wars universe, than the prequels.  Just my opinion obviously.

I might be more accepting if the prequels hadn't been called "Star Wars" at all, and instead had been a separate series titled "Fall of the Old Republic" or something.  

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, I know it's an unpopular opinion around here, but I actually like 7 and 8 way more than 1,2,3.  They have plenty of issues, but they look and feel a lot more like a Star Wars movie, than the prequels did.  Some of it is the use of practical effects, some of it is the writing and direction, but they fit a LOT more in the Star Wars universe, than the prequels.  Just my opinion obviously.

I might be more accepting if the prequels hadn't been called "Star Wars" at all, and instead had been a separate series titled "Fall of the Old Republic" or something.  

Disagree on TLJ but I do think TFA is a better movie than any of the prequels. 

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, I know it's an unpopular opinion around here, but I actually like 7 and 8 way more than 1,2,3. 

Uhh, I don't know anyone that liked the prequels more than TFA. 

TLJ is where it gets iffy, because it is as bad as the prequels, but I would imagine a lot of people put 3 ahead of it. I think the consensus among fans is that Ep 1, 2 and 8 are the worst, but the order varies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

7, while derivative and safe, is a really enjoyable movie.  Mostly cohesive and fun.  Just a well done popcorn movie.  Way better than anything in the prequels.  I don't want to put myself through trying to compare TLJ to the prequels.

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Uhh, I don't know anyone that liked the prequels more than TFA. 

TLJ is where it gets iffy, because it is as bad as the prequels, but I would imagine a lot of people put 3 ahead of it. I think the consensus among fans is that Ep 1, 2 and 8 are the worst, but the order varies. 

I do, definitely.  At least, I know people that consider Revenge of the Sith better than TFA.  But I don't, for reasons I've already stated.  

3 dies under the weight of my the absolute stupidity of what was supposed to be the moment the whole prequel trilogy built to. The fall of Anakin Skywalker to the dark side.

The scene were Obi Wan suits him up for eternity is fine popcorn flick fighting but the 25 minutes before during and after the fall of Skywalker is fucking weak weak weak.

• Like 1

The turn to Vader never stuck the landing for me. I mean tons of guys will do crazy stuff for P but killing everyone you know including little Jedi kids on some weird story about keeping people from dying? Not buying it. A large part of the problem with the PT for me was the horrible payoffs for how things were set up in the OT. Vader was seduced by the dark side. I mean, I guess if an old man talking to you about keeping people from dying was being seduced. At no point did I think Anakin and Obi Wan were friends. Uncle Owen was a non-factor in Anakin's decisions as he barely knew him. "Your uncle didn't hold to your father's ideals". More like your uncle only knew your dad because your uncle's dad was having sex with Anakin's mom. 

Solo at least did a better job of paying off on the origin stories...minus the "oh, you're alone with no family, so you're "solo"!

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

The turn to Vader never stuck the landing for me. I mean tons of guys will do crazy stuff for P but killing everyone you know including little Jedi kids on some weird story about keeping people from dying? Not buying it. A large part of the problem with the PT for me was the horrible payoffs for how things were set up in the OT. Vader was seduced by the dark side. I mean, I guess if an old man talking to you about keeping people from dying was being seduced. At no point did I think Anakin and Obi Wan were friends. Uncle Owen was a non-factor in Anakin's decisions as he barely knew him. "Your uncle didn't hold to your father's ideals". More like your uncle only knew your dad because your uncle's dad was having sex with Anakin's mom. 

All of this.   The Red Letter Media reviews cover it better, but the PT screwed up a lot of things that were well set up in the OT.   PT should have been easy home runs.