"'Animal House' At 40: 'Toxic Showcase of Racism, Homophobia, and Jokes About Sexual Assault"

phdhorn

We had a choice between shit and shit on a stick.

LOLz.

Oh please don't curse us...LOL.  We don't need your fucking endorsement kiddo.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

We had a choice between shit and shit on a stick.

LOLz.

Oh please don't curse us...LOL.  We don't need your fucking endorsement kiddo.

The olds made trump the Republican nominee. They had other choices. Don’t weasel out with that bullshit. 

19 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The olds made trump the Republican nominee. They had other choices. Don’t weasel out with that bullshit. 

Slorch is the guy who “doesn’t watch Fox News” but defends them endlessly on that threat bc “but CNN AND MSNBC”

Always another persons fault 

On 7/29/2018 at 1:46 AM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Speaking of movies. Have you ever seen "I love Phillip Morris"? It's a Jim Carey vehicle that was on Netflix for a while. I got duped into watching it thinking it would be a comedy. Maybe it's the cynic in me, but it's what I think of when the poor millennial glbt-y people want and feel entitled to free stuff like you sometimes post about. Anyways, check out the movie or something.

That started out as a series of articles by an old friend of mine -- the late Houston journalist Steve McVicker. The Jim Carrey character was based on some guy who escaped TDC three times, and after the last escape, conned his way into a job as CFO of some pretty good-sized local Houston company. (His boyfriend's name was Phillip Morris, hence the title.)

It was a good enough story as it was but the Hollywood had to do its thing...And it was the worst thing that ever happened to McVicker. He got that Hollywood money and refined and supercharged his taste for drugs and was dead within ten years. 

On 7/29/2018 at 3:11 PM, jimmyjazz said:

What's the age cutoff for "old"?  Just so I get a feel for how broad the brush is.

If you were old enough to watch Animal House at the theater when it first came out in 1978 you are definitely an old.

I think Animal House has some pretty serious cred as a snapshot of a place in time. It's set right at the end of old stuffy America, and just at the dawn of the sex, drugs and rock and roll '60s.

My dad lived those years. He went to Austin in 1962 as a crew-cut kid from West U and at one point tried to volunteer for the Air Force. He wanted to be a fighter pilot in 'Nam. They turned him down -- said he gout, of all things. 

He was a Sig Ep and loved the first couple of years of Greek life and participated in some Animal House shenanigans of his own. 

And then he discovered pot, acid, and the 13th Floor Elevators in that order, and frat parties no longer held his interest. 

Sometime around 1968 he got drafted. He went to his physical at that Houston MEPS station downtown on multiple hits of acid. He says there was some line all the potential recruits had to get in -- and it ended at some machine that was inoculating recruits against whatever...Dad's third eye told him they were injecting everyone with "Vietnam kill juice." And then he fainted in the line.

Next thing he knew he was in front of an Army shrink whose name, dad swears, was Dr. Head. The shrink was peppering him with questions. "What drugs have you taken in your lifetime?" And my dad said "All of them." Dr. Head stamped some sheet of paper, and moved on to more questions: "What do you think of the war?" and told him it was bullshit, and Dr. Head stamped some other sheet of paper. On and on, serious questions, deranged answers, stamped sheets of paper piling up, culminating in the biggie: 4-F status for dad.

Not long after dad got married and got his third degree from UT and sired me...

But I always saw Animal House through that lens. The stoner scene with Boon and Sutherland hints at what was about to come down the pike. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

On 7/29/2018 at 6:40 PM, Js1 said:

Slorch is the guy who “doesn’t watch Fox News” but defends them endlessly on that threat bc “but CNN AND MSNBC”

Always another persons fault 

I haven't spoken about foxnews in weeks, but forget about it...you're rollin...

Are you saying we had a better VIABLE choice in the Presidential election?

No we fucking didn't.  and by "we"  I mean the American people.