"'Animal House' At 40: 'Toxic Showcase of Racism, Homophobia, and Jokes About Sexual Assault"

phdhorn

I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting that you like a film that you learned to like as a youth, while also acknowledging that certain elements are outdated and are now considered inappropriate in some schools of thought. Animal House was on a few months ago and I hadn't seen it in a couple of decades, and I found myself cringing at parts that had never given me pause before. I think you can accept something for what it is, given the context at the time it was made, and be ok with admitting that you should think and/or do things differently now that times have changed. It doesn't mean you're a snowflake; just that you're capable of growing and changing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, retread said:

You're right. They won't have it. Thought police and desensitization make it very difficult.

I feel bad for younger people who won't have the thrill of discovering the great music of the 60s-80s. I'm sure that some do discover and enjoy it, and I guess the rest think that today's music is just as amazing as The Beatles/Zep/Stones/etc were to us.

OMG, how will they ever learn that the Beatles existed? For sure, your great grandkids already know about the Beatles. Your ability to navigate the internet and post on shaggy probably shocks them more. 

Young people have no idea what is going on.  Period.

isn't this fun?

How old is the damn author of the article? 25 at the oldest.

Edited by slorch

Being reasonably equal in intelligence, who do you go to for advice on the really important things in life?

Some 25 year old that hasn't pissed a drop in his life or an older person that has lived life and made real decisions?

I don't understand the mocking and discounting of old people.  They're by no means perfect (no one is), but older people should be valued and respected.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Being reasonably equal in intelligence, who do you go to for advice on the really important things in life?

Some 25 year old that hasn't pissed a drop in his life or an older person that has lived life and made real decisions?

I don't understand the mocking and discounting of old people.  They're by no means perfect (no one is), but older people should be valued and respected.  

Some of the  youngs DISAGREE with what is better judgment, therefore the olds must be impugned and ridiculed.

It has become more prevalent on here just in the past 4-6 weeks, with even the suggestion that olds should somehow have to re-qualify to vote, if they are given a vote at all.  I don't hear it out in the real world, yet...

I mean, it's nothing to die on that hill for newly minted immigrants who have been here 5 minutes to vote, but let's disenfranchise those who actually already have equity in the game.

Logical as fuck, ain't it?

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, Deej said:

It's interesting that as off-color, sexist humor has been branded as more offensive, we don't have as much of an issue with gratuitous violence. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was originally branded with an X rating, and it is completely tame by today's standards. 

Wasn’t Midnight Cowboy also branded X when first released?

I didn’t rtfa but did she acknowledge that the movie was set in the 60s?

Part of the problem with PC is this: there is a lot of humor in racial stereotypes. I play poker with a bunch of Indians and we all rip on each other about Indian stuff and white guy stuff and it’s very funny. Where the problem lies is that there are people now, predominantly on social media, who think that any joke about racial stereotypes is automatically racist. You can’t reason with people who think that way.

• Like 2

My father has always said to me, “Son, I ain’t any smarter than you, I’ve just been here longer.”

17 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Part of the problem with PC is this: there is a lot of humor in racial stereotypes. I play poker with a bunch of Indians and we all rip on each other about Indian stuff and white guy stuff and it’s very funny. Where the problem lies is that there are people now, predominantly on social media, who think that any joke about racial stereotypes is automatically racist. You can’t reason with people who think that way.

Lots of people, that I've never met or played poker with, on surly throw out the racist card at the drop of a hat. The lefts mantra?

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

I don't understand the mocking and discounting of old people.

Need to know how to manage a marriage to make it work? Ask the old guys and tell the young guys to shut up.

Need to know what's going on in modern comedy? Ask the young guys and tell the old guys to shut up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

My father has always said to me, “Son, I ain’t any smarter than you, I’ve just been here longer.”

pure truth.

Most olds will steal a good idea in a heartbeat.  That's why they tend to "do better" in the long run and have fewer hiccups later in life until health starts fucking your world.

Some of the youngs on here are enamored with telling the rest of the population, "We are the Captain now."   LMAO.

Hellova a method to get people to buy in...

and here's another clue in life- Older folks know what's funny.   Some of this tripe being shoveled out today just isn't, just like some of the old stuff sucked.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

I am sure that the uptight people most bent out of shape about stuff like this never had a sense of humor to begin with. 

Their standard phrase is "I have a sense of humor, BUT..." and then they proceed to tell you why they don't have a sense of humor.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 10:57 AM, TexArcher said:

Comedy and humor will be completely dead by 2020.  Attempting to make another human being laugh will be considered assault.

People have been saying this for 30 years.  Yet raunchy and politically incorrect humor are still everywhere.  Animal House couldn't be made today, not because it's offensive, but because it wouldn't make sense in today's era.  The same is true for lots of movies.  Watch any standup special on HBO or even Comedy Central, and there are tons of jokes about racial stereotypes.  The jokes have changed, but the idea that you can't talk about it is absurd, because comedians do it all the fucking time.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Some of the  youngs DISAGREE with what is better judgment, therefore the olds must be impugned and ridiculed.

It has become more prevalent on here just in the past 4-6 weeks, with even the suggestion that olds should somehow have to re-qualify to vote, if they are given a vote at all.  I don't hear it out in the real world, yet...

I mean, it's nothing to die on that hill for newly minted immigrants who have been here 5 minutes to vote, but let's disenfranchise those who actually already have equity in the game.

Logical as fuck, ain't it?

Obviously generalizing here, but olds are ridiculed because they prove time and time again to be completely selfish asshats who think the solution to our country's problems is to rewind the clock backwards.   They're ridiculed because they think sharing Facebook memes from Sean Hannity's #1 fanpage qualifies as staying informed on the news.  They're ridiculed because they fall time and time again for propaganda and believe stupid conspiracy shit like pedophiles trafficking out of a pizza restaurant or Hillary murdering a DNC staffer.  They're ridiculed because more times than not, it's the olds who hold society back because they think science is a liberal conspiracy.

And give me a break, if I had a nickel for every post I've read on Shaggy/Surly from X'ers and Boomers bitching about and ridiculing millenials I'd retire already.  This very thread is mostly  just ridiculing young people.  I guess the olds can dish it but they can't take it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

Obviously generalizing here, but olds are ridiculed because they prove time and time again to be completely selfish asshats who think the solution to our country's problems is to rewind the clock backwards.   They're ridiculed because they think sharing Facebook memes from Sean Hannity's #1 fanpage qualifies as staying informed on the news.  They're ridiculed because they fall time and time again for propaganda and believe stupid conspiracy shit like pedophiles trafficking out of a pizza restaurant or Hillary murdering a DNC staffer.  They're ridiculed because more times than not, it's the olds who hold society back because they think science is a liberal conspiracy.

And give me a break, if I had a nickel for every post I've read on Shaggy/Surly from X'ers and Boomers bitching about and ridiculing millenials I'd retire already.  This very thread is mostly  just ridiculing young people.  I guess the olds can dish it but they can't take it.

I've posted my opinions on this board, Shaggy, and 5atf since 2003.  You've been here 5 minutes and want the world to change for you. 

That's cool and all( normal). But the 'olds should have to be tested to vote' thing is crazy.  Not that it's your doing, but holy fuck, you people.  

Ain't nobody dodgin your ass, either. 

Edited by slorch

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

I've posted my opinions on this board, Shaggy, and 5atf since 2003.  You've been here 5 minutes and want the world to change for you. 

That's cool and all( normal). But the 'olds should have to be tested to vote' thing is crazy.  Not that it's your doing, but holy fuck, you people.  

Ain't nobody dodgin your ass, either. 

I know everyone assumes all millenials are pimple-faced 18 year olds, but the oldest millenials (aka me) are in their mid 30's.  In 5 short years I'll be a man (40).

52 minutes ago, Tom said:

I'm glad you young'ns  don't believe all the bs put out by the leftys.

32 minutes ago, seven said:

Slorch, you're a fool. 

foolish for thinking we could actually have a dialogue on here without the partisan/ ideology bullshit creeping in?

I know.

Yet i still post here.  Sorry for interrupting your circle jerk.

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

I know everyone assumes all millenials are pimple-faced 18 year olds, but the oldest millenials (aka me) are in their mid 30's.  In 5 short years I'll be a man (40).

5 minutes on the board, not the planet.

FWIW, innovation and new ideas come from anywhere, but acting as if the olds 'just don't get it'  when in fact we've seen a shit-ton that you younguns  haven't; is pure bullshit.

Edited by slorch

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Dot or feathers? Asking for curry reasons.

34 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Stfu Slorch you cantankerous shit bastard. JFC we get it. 

We shall knock back brewskies some day...

and I'm not that big of a pain in the ass.  i just call bullshit on bullshit.  Sorry...

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What's the age cutoff for "old"?  Just so I get a feel for how broad the brush is.

If your feelings are hurt by someone saying that old people don't know modern comedy, then it definitely applies to you.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

5 minutes on the board, not the planet.

FWIW, innovation and new ideas come from anywhere, but acting as if the olds 'just don't get it'  when in fact we've seen a shit-ton that you haven't; is pure bullshit.

Okay?  I was on Shaggy for 8 years before it went under with this same username.  I was on other sites before that.

Either way I guess I'm just not sure what my belief system has to do with how long I've been posting on a message board.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

pure truth.

Most olds will steal a good idea in a heartbeat.  That's why they tend to "do better" in the long run and have fewer hiccups later in life until health starts fucking your world.

Some of the youngs on here are enamored with telling the rest of the population, "We are the Captain now."   LMAO.

Hellova a method to get people to buy in...

and here's another clue in life- Older folks know what's funny.   Some of this tripe being shoveled out today just isn't, just like some of the old stuff sucked.

Old people voted for Trump, your opinion is invalid

the fact that slorch thinks his 1000 years on earth gives him special knowledge into modern pop culture is very indicative of what's wrong with the olds to begin with.

Edited by seven

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Incorrect sir.

You ‘suffer’ because of it.  Depending on your definition thereof.

I’m just judging from the general direction of the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

18 hours ago, austingirl said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting that you like a film that you learned to like as a youth, while also acknowledging that certain elements are outdated and are now considered inappropriate in some schools of thought. Animal House was on a few months ago and I hadn't seen it in a couple of decades, and I found myself cringing at parts that had never given me pause before. I think you can accept something for what it is, given the context at the time it was made, and be ok with admitting that you should think and/or do things differently now that times have changed. It doesn't mean you're a snowflake; just that you're capable of growing and changing.

In the privacy of my home, i'm still going to laugh at the movie in it's entirety, if I do in fact find parts to be humorous, I don't plan watching the film with critical thinking invovled...

1 hour ago, seven said:

the fact that slorch thinks his 1000 years on earth gives him special knowledge into modern pop culture is very indicative of what's wrong with the olds to begin with.

Your inability to read only exasperates your issues.

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Yep. The olds forfeited their right to lecture anybody about anything after they did that. I know my WW2 vet grandad back in the day would never have thought for one second to vote for that asshat. They current olds proved themselves worthless fools and that the world would be a better place if they didn’t have the ability to vote for anything anymore. 

Not sorry if that offends the olds.