Destiny

GabrielsHorn

Unfortunately, not quite the sequel wasn't quite the game we hoped for. This tweet sums up my feelings pretty well.

Anyways, bigish update out on Tuesday with the return of strike (in this case nightfall) specific weapons and 6v6 IB. I'll probably be on to try the new weapon changes and nightfall rewards. 

03152018_Development_Roadmap.jpg?cv=3983

Yeah, I haven’t played since just after masterwork weapons came out. I might play some 6v6 banner this week but I just haven’t felt like playing at all.  Never even did the raid lair.

I figure maybe I’ll be back when the next dlc drops, that way all of these incremental changes that should have been in the game from the start will be incorporated, and there will be some new content too. 

Best case scenario is that this game follows the Diablo 3 path of being gradually improved to “worthy successor” status by the time the fisrt major expansion comes out in the fall.  

I have a like/hate relationship with Crucible.  I still enjoy it to a degree, I like certain guns, and I still play Trials when I can get a decent team. Part of it is probably because I’m pretty good at it after putting so much time in.  Also, my younger bro likes playing. He never played D1 and is blissfully unaware of Bungie’s fuckups.  

Been looking forward to the update. The game drastically needs a sandbox shakeup. I hope the update accomplishes that.

I haven't logged on in weeks now, and only then was to hang with a buddy of mine in Florida.  Hopefully some of these changes make it more enjoyable.  I fully admit that one of the worst things I ever did with this game was get on the Reddit forum.  It was just a cesspool of negativity.  

Played some heroic strikes after the patch dropped, and it hasn't helped PvE much. The two primary system is still just way too limiting, even if linear fusion rifles finally feel great. I'll give PvP a shot later on, but not too promising. 

PVP: Basically just get your hands on an Autumn Wind pulse rifle and go ham for a few games, then move on to whatever you were doing before this mostly worthless update dropped.

How would you Destiny die hards feel about a Destiny game where the guns were not balanced - where some guns were definitely superior to others, but where any gun you have has a limited lifespan before it breaks (wear and tear) and you need to find another copy of it.  RNG drops rates for guns would adjust so the more powerful guns are rarer.  It seems like such a simple thing, but it would definitely give people reasons to continuously grind if they enjoy the game.

How would you Destiny die hards feel about a Destiny game where the guns were not balanced - where some guns were definitely superior to others, but where any gun you have has a limited lifespan before it breaks (wear and tear) and you need to find another copy of it.  RNG drops rates for guns would adjust so the more powerful guns are rarer.  It seems like such a simple thing, but it would definitely give people reasons to continuously grind if they enjoy the game.

Nah, then the pressure of “too good to use” will be crushing me all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't expect this, but they need to separate PvE and PvP, and make PvP like halo 2.  Put cool weapons on the map that respawn, and make the game about map control. everyone starts with a generic hand cannon and/or AR. Scouts, shotguns, grenades, etc. spawn on the map.  i would be very excited about this.

they could even make Supers spawn in the map in the same way halo had camo and overshield spawns.  put enough out there and make their location random enough that everyone has a chance to get 1-2 throughout the game.

The guns are never going to balanced as there’s way too many variables to control for. However, that doesn’t mean that PvP can’t be extremely fun. One of the biggest disappointments about Destiny 2 is that everything was balanced on the PvP with the increase in the ability cooldowns and the weapon systems which moved the game away from the chaos it was in the first one. I’d love to see a more competitive scene with 4v4 that have locked load outs, but they should have gone and expanded the 6v6 from the first game into more big-team battle scenarios (imagine Combined Arms from the first game but 10v10 or higher) or different scenarios (infected, gun play, etc). Right now, everything is stale as its essentially a glorified TDM for every round.

I like the update, despite the breathless whining going on over at Reddit. Warlocks got a desperately needed glide buff.  The weapon meta seems to have shaken up.  Precision Autos aren’t dominant anymore. More power ammo and players dropping ammo is an improvement. Although getting snowballed by a good team controlling power can get frustrating. Arcstaff is now a super to be feared.  

It’s a step in the right direction, but it does nothing to address the lack of depth with loot, endgame, etc. Bungie has to nail the “exotics pass” and the “mods 2.0” and probably revamp the weapon system in some way to make it a game where I’d tell someone to come back and give it a second chance.  

And to echo something Gabriel brought up, it’s disappointing that Bungie hasn’t come up with any creative new modes. Trials was a game changer in D1.  Where is that innovation?  Give us SOMETHING new.

Edited by CurlyDumps

I haven't played Destiny 2 in about 2 months.  I have 110 hours in it.  I have over 3k hours in D1.  Bungie's inability to do anything that their community crows for has really lost all the faith I have in them as a company to continue making good games.

D2 is absolutely awful when comparing to D1 in just about every way to me.  Their lack of development to implement game changing content will doom the Destiny universe.  Wife and I occasionally turn on D1 and run strikes or do raids with our old group.  Population of D2 is down significantly since release.  Almost Division-esque.

On 4/12/2018 at 4:48 PM, Waterboarder said:

I played through the raid, but the rewards didn't justify the time.  Their refusal to see that the rewards from VoG were exactly what the player base wanted is bizarre.  Granted the raid design steadily decreased throughout the life of Destiny

Crota and WotM dropped some powerful weapons.  Kings Fall loot kinda sucked, but the raid was really well done.  Just different. longer, more difficult, with more complicated mechanics.  Not my favorite, but I’ve heard people say it’s their favorite.  And WotM was excellent.  The last boss fight was probably the best raid encounter in the game IMO from a mechanics standpoint.  The way it demanded movement, communication, and teamwork while allowing much more flexibility in loadouts.  everything that made Destiny gameplay great kinda dovetails in that encounter.  Fantastic design.

I think the d2 is really good, it’s just not as fun with the current sandbox, and the loot is woefully samey.  Nothing you get is any better than your best non raid weapons.

Edited by CurlyDumps

• 3 weeks later...

Got mine downloaded, I’ll give it a shot when they finish the server maintenance or whatever.  It will be interesting to see how the game is after being gone for a few of these incremental updates. 

I wanted to play some 6v6 banner, but just never got around to it, too busy with god of war.  But since I finished that one and far cry 5, it’s a good time to check back in with destiny.   

I finished the story and the majority of the adventures. It's much more fun than CoO, but it still goes by quickly. 

Some of the exotic updates are incredible though. Risk Runner and Graviton Lance just destroy adds like it's a joke. 

I'll try to be on later tonight, but if not, I'll be on the rest of the week to mess around, run some strikes, etc.