Destiny

GabrielsHorn

If anyone has not yet played the new expansion, I recommend doing it. The campaign itself leaves a few things to be desired. But the additional lore, and end game content is back to a D1 level. It’s pretty fun. 

Bungie still needs to address a bunch of stuff, but they’ve made a lot of progress. 

2 hours ago, jofus said:

If anyone has not yet played the new expansion, I recommend doing it. The campaign itself leaves a few things to be desired. But the additional lore, and end game content is back to a D1 level. It’s pretty fun. 

Bungie still needs to address a bunch of stuff, but they’ve made a lot of progress. 

Yeah, it is pretty good so far. The real test will be how people feel about it a month from now. 

The progression of light level seems like it’s a little wonky to me. For example, the heroic strikes are 350 recommended light, but are dropping rewards at 340.  Seems dumb to have stuff drop lower than the light level for an activity. 

I get that they wanted to slow down progression to max light, but just make things drop above your light but only by 1-2 points or something. As it stands it seems like they took the existing issue of people not having anything to play for once they did their weekly milestone stuff and made it even worse (since all of the clan engrams are no longer powerful engrams, just regular ass legendaries that drop below your light level). 

Also a bit frustrating that it’s a good thing that they are ALMOST back to as good as things were at the end of D1. Some things are obviously better, but there were just so many puzzling self-destructive design choices. 

This expansion definitely seems to be an improvement though. Hope they keep making progress. 

Don't have as much time to play as I used to since I got a new job and my girlfriend moved in. I've been slowly going through the story, think I'm at 335 right now. I'm down to join if I'm on and playing, but I think I need to finish the campaign and level up more first.

19 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Just downloaded both expansions.  What is the quickest way to get up to level for the raid?  

The weekly milestones are still the easiest way, but not necessarily quick. I wouldn't suggest heroic strikes; due to the way the changed some things, those are actually a higher light level than the nightfall right now. Probably the best method: do all the activities that can produce blue and purple rewards up to the soft cap (which is, I believe, 345), such as public events, vendor tokens, lost sectors, etc. After that, redeem your weekly milestones to get over the soft cap. Once you're over the soft cap, things slow way down. I've been playing quite a bit for almost 2 weeks and I'm still not to 360.

You can also do the original Leviathan raid for quite a bit of loot to level up. We ran it last weekend and I got a lot of good drops, plus it's a lot easier when you're way overpowered.

Edited by pistolsfiring11

I would add that the weekly clan XP milestone is currently bugged. The engrams drop using the soft cap rules if you decrypt them now (basically as if they were a regular legendary engram).

Bungie’s workaround is that you complete the clan XP milestone, but leave the reward uncollected. At reset, it will auto decrypt to the proper powerful reward light level and the items will be in your inventory.

The last I read, they were hoping to have that fixed in the next few weeks.

Yeah, the Osiris stuff was not great.  They missed an opportunity with the procedurally generated stuff, it really could have been much better than it ended up being. I enjoyed the warmind stuff more for sure. 

but as bungie says, the friendgame is the real endgame.

2 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Tried doing EP with a few people after another PE and failed miserably again. Really wish they would have gone the CoO or Archon's Forge way and made it to where the beginning is easier and then the difficulty ramps up. 

It does ramp up in difficulty, it's just that the starting point is pretty fucking high on the difficulty/power curve already.  I have only managed to get past round 1 a few times with randoms, and round 2 is definitely harder.  I see why they did it, they were tired of people bitching about burning through the content, so they slowed down progression (fewer sources of powerful engrams) and made this activity scaled for very high power level players.  Kind of a lazy solution to the problem, I think, but at least I understand why.

I think it won't be as much of an issue as more people get to higher power levels.  The more annoying issue that won't change without a fix from bungie is the stupid matchmaking, where a fireteam of 3 spawning in to an instance pretty much guarantees that only one or two other players will randomly spawn in, and since there's no way to do 6-man patrols, the crowdsourced solution is to go in and spam random people asking them to invite your friends (and then sometimes to leave afterward, especially if they are lower light).  In some cases, people are apparently asking blueberries to invite their friends to get more people into the instance and then getting them to make one of their people the fireteam leader (hey, just promote so-and-so, they can send the other invite, so you don't have to type it in), at which point they kick the poor blueberry to make room for more of their friends.  

when your matchmaking/fireteam setup encourages that kind of behavior, you dun goofed.  Of course, the bungie solution would probably just be to disable messaging people not in your friends list. 

18 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

d5b.jpg

Yeah, if you want to do it this week, I’d say try to get it done early. I played this afternoon and there were tons of people doing EP. I found an instance with other 4 other random players pretty quickly.  We made it to level 3 and then two people joined my fire team and we got to level 4 a few times.  

I think I was geared up to power level maybe 352-353, had to have that specific weapon equipped because I was also doing the sleeper quest. 

At this point, 3-4 players around 350-360 should be able to get through round 1 without much trouble, and round 2 actually seemed easier than round 1 to me. Round 3 felt like a definite step up though.  

Its actually pretty fun if you get a group of decent people together. I mean we had no hope of getting to level 6 or 7 but eventually it should be doable. In the meantime 5-6 players with swords playing whack a mole smashing the knights as they appear is pretty funny. 

Apparently the reward for this week is just the masterwork version of the scout rifle from last week so that may or may not help with your desire to die. But I guess it seems like the end of the quest is probably the new exotic Polaris lance scout so I suppose i’d do it sooner or later no matter what. 

Also apparently you can do the nascent Dawn quests all the way through to the current one in the same week. So for example, if you never finished step 1/5, you can do it, step 2 and step 3 all this week. So it will still be available next week and beyond and won’t prevent you from doing step 4 next week if you don’t do it now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They are releasing a ton of details about the September update here:

So far, they changed weapon systems (can use three shotguns?), random rolls will back, new supers, new enemies, new weapon type (bow+arrow), new game mode (Gambit - PvEvP - imagine something similar to Firefight except now you are rushing to try to beat your PvE first. Also can invade the other teams space (one person only))

It looks fun, but the big question is why wasn't this there from the beginning. 

Edited by GabrielsHorn

I listened to the Crucible Radio podcast episode this week, which was an interview with some Bungie sandbox guys. They mentioned one of the silicon valley buzzwords being used at Bungie right now - "studio alignment." That made me smile. It's everywhere!!!

So, who has the better September - Tom Herman or Bungie? 

Edited by CurlyDumps