Russia

Pancho

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Who would that be ? The Zamboni driver ?

This comment isn't political and I hope you don't take it as a criticism, but I'm very curious why you always insert a space between the last word of a sentence and the mark that signifies its ending.

Is it a signature style of your writing? Is it a function of your smartphone? Do you not notice it happens? Are you French (where that separating space is common in emphatic statements)?

Things are quiet around here right now, and this is something I've been meaning to ask for a while.

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This comment isn't political and I hope you don't take it as a criticism, but I'm very curious why you always insert a space between the last word of a sentence and the mark that signifies its ending.

Is it a signature style of your writing? Is it a function of your smartphone? Do you not notice it happens? Are you French (where that separating space is common in emphatic statements)?

Things are quiet around here right now, and this is something I've been meaning to ask for a while.

I don't like exclamation points, and question marks tight up against words. It just looks weird to me. I know it's not conventional English grammar.  

I also like a double space after a period or other punctuation mark.  Fuck whoever said it's no longer warranted.  It looks better to me, and the written word has a visual quality as well IMO.

I take no offense to the above, other than being called French that is ......... you asshole.... :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't like exclamation points, and question marks tight up against words. It just looks weird to me. I know it's not conventional English grammar.  

I also like a double space after a period or other punctuation mark.  Fuck whoever said it's no longer warranted.  It looks better to me, and the written word has a visual quality as well IMO.

I take no offense to the above, other than being called French that is ......... you asshole.... :)

Written French puts the space between the final word of a sentence and the exclamation mark or the question mark, but not with the period. It's just one of the oddities that I like about studying foreign languages.

Oh, they also do it with quotation marks, which also happen to differ from ours. Theirs look like « » .

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Written French puts the space between the final word of a sentence and the exclamation mark or the question mark, but not with the period. It's just one of the oddities that I like about studying foreign languages.

Oh, they also do it with quotation marks, which also happen to differ from ours. Theirs look like « » .

Interesting, so I'm right in one country at least...  

There's something so visual to me about question marks, and exclamation marks that just makes me want to see them stand alone, instead of just slapped on the end of a word.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Interesting, so I'm right in one country at least...  

There's something so visual to me about question marks, and exclamation marks that just makes me want to see them stand alone, instead of just slapped on the end of a word.  

Look at it like traffic laws and how you don't get to make up your own rules and turn left on red. Have some respect for English. Don't be a slob. Strive to get better and adhere closely to common rules. Assimilate. If you can't speak English, you need to get out of my country. 

44 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Look at it like traffic laws and how you don't get to make up your own rules and turn left on red. Have some respect for English. Don't be a slob. Strive to get better and adhere closely to common rules. Assimilate. If you can't speak English, you need to get out of my country. 

ee cummings says get bent!

46 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Why should I look at it like traffic laws ?  The analogy isn't applicable. Nobodies dying or getting hurt if I don't put a punctuation mark right behind a word, unless you have a nervous breakdown because I flaunt your conventions.  Free speech, and all that shit too. 

I was kidding. There are times your posts auto space a sentence to the next line and there will be a question mark or a period just sitting there alone. Not spacing would solve that. It's silly. It doesn't bother me. A poster was politely asking if you were aware of how ridiculous you look, like walking around with your ass crack out or toilet paper on your shoe. His only explanation was that your phone did something odd and that you might not be aware of it. Others might have thought you were a small child and looked past it considering how well you were doing for someone your age. Personally, I find the punctuation is the least silly thing about your posts 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 3:48 PM, Chooky said:

I was kidding. There are times your posts auto space a sentence to the next line and there will be a question mark or a period just sitting there alone. Not spacing would solve that. It's silly. It doesn't bother me. A poster was politely asking if you were aware of how ridiculous you look, like walking around with your ass crack out or toilet paper on your shoe. His only explanation was that your phone did something odd and that you might not be aware of it. Others might have thought you were a small child and looked past it considering how well you were doing for someone your age. Personally, I find the punctuation is the least silly thing about your posts 

And I politely answered him, with a full explanation. The thing went off the rails when called me out because of my voting habits. Not sure what you think I did.  

And hey you're not being a compete ass hole right now....  Funny you obviously didn't read the whole back and forth or you might have learned something other than just being a dick, and jumping to conclusions, per usual.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

• 4 weeks later...

US and Russian warships nearly collide in the Pacific

The United States and Russian navies are at odds over an apparent near collision in the Pacific Friday with each side blaming the other.

The US and Russian warships came somewhere between 50 feet and 165 feet of each other, according to the two opposing reports, with both sides alleging their ships were forced to perform emergency maneuvers to avoid a collision, which can be seen in video and a picture of the event obtained by CNN.

This latest incident comes just days after the US Navy accused Russia of intercepting a US aircraft and amid tensions with Moscow on a wide range of geopolitical issues. Last month, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Russian Vladimir Putin in the resort town of Sochi, where he warned Russia about interfering in US elections, taking a tougher public line than President Donald Trump on the issue.

"A Russian destroyer .... made an unsafe maneuver against USS Chancellorsville, closing to 50-100 feet, putting the safety of her crew and ship at risk," US Navy spokesman Cmdr. Clayton Doss told CNN in a statement.

"This unsafe action forced Chancellorsville to execute all engines back full and to maneuver to avoid collision," Doss said.

The US guided-missile cruiser was traveling in a straight line and trying to recover its helicopter when the incident occurred, he said.

"We consider Russia's actions during this interaction as unsafe and unprofessional," Doss said.

cont'd

190607073240-us-navy-russia-destroyer-in

On 5/11/2019 at 9:54 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

this isn't Nam, dude.

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

looks like everyone was just "communicating...keeping up international relations."

Yeah, I would think that most of our naval vessels should have a photoshop poster of Putin sucking dick ready to hang over the rail as needed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I would think that most of our naval vessels should have a photoshop poster of Putin sucking dick ready to hang over the rail as needed.

plays right into the rebirth of living in a m.a.d. world.  they would just hang their own, less speculative banner of president trump sucking putin's dick.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Mayhaps anything in the social media tech sector that comes out of Russia should probably be approached with some skepticism and scrutiny?  

All technology should be approached with scrutiny. The issue with FaceApp isn't that it's Russian owned, the issue is the same with all of these apps, there are no legal protections for people's personal information.

Normal Person: "Don't step in that dog shit."

Resistance Loon: "Why is it Russian dog shit?"

Normal Person: "Does it matter? it's dog shit."

Resistance Loon: "Russians don't take a shit without a plan."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/07/23/asia/south-korea-russia-military-intl-hnk/index.html

Warplanes from four countries faced off Tuesday in a chaotic and unprecedented confrontation above a small, disputed island off the coast of South Korea and Japan.

South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff issued a statement claiming they had fired more than 300 warning shots at a Russian A-50 command and control military aircraft early Tuesday morning after it had twice violated the country's airspace, the first such incident between the countries.

Over flying a disputed island to remind Japan and South Korea both allies claim it is a good way to drive a wedge between those 2 nations.

Provocations of this type "to gauge our response technology." How bad is that for us? How much do we really show our cards when we do it? Seems like that goes both ways. Gives us a chance to practice.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Over flying a disputed island to remind Japan and South Korea both allies claim it is a good way to drive a wedge between those 2 nations.

Yeah, Japan has already lodged a complaint to South Korea for exerting defense over Japanese claimed territory. It's an interesting way to rile up the South Koreans and Japanese who despite being allies have a lot of bad blood.

52 minutes ago, F250 said:

Yeah, Japan has already lodged a complaint to South Korea for exerting defense over Japanese claimed territory. It's an interesting way to rile up the South Koreans and Japanese who despite being allies have a lot of bad blood.

Good thing there aren't any racial issues between them.

Gotta admire the bravery of folks willing to protest in Putin's Russia.

The Latest: Russian police begin new wave of protest arrests

5:15 p.m.

A Russian organization that monitors political arrests says more than 500 people have been detained in Moscow during a demonstration protesting the exclusion of some opposition candidates from the Sept. 8 ballot for the Moscow city council.

The OVD-Info group said 520 people had been detained in the demonstration that began Saturday near the mayor’s office and was eventually pushed by police into side streets.

City police said the total number of demonstrators was about 3,500.

The repeated protests over election rules have struck a nerve with the Kremlin as it struggles with opposing views in Russia’s sprawling capital of 12.6 million people.

6:30 p.m.

A Russian organization that monitors political arrests says more than 630 people have been detained in Moscow during a demonstration protesting the exclusion of some opposition candidates from the Sept. 8 ballot for the Moscow city council.

The OVD-Info group said 638 people had been detained in the demonstration that began Saturday near the mayor’s office and was eventually pushed by police into side streets. Police were seen manhandling detainees and sometimes charging the crowd with their batons raised.

City police said the total number of demonstrators was about 3,500.

Once a local, low-key affair, the September vote for Moscow’s city council has shaken up Russia’s political scene as the Kremlin struggles with how to deal with strongly opposing views in its sprawling capital of 12.6 million.

8:10 p.m.

Police in Moscow have begun a new wave of protester arrests and a monitoring group says nearly 700 people have been detained during Saturday’s clashes.

Demonstrators protesting the exclusion of several opposition candidates from the ballot for Moscow city council elections gathered in the afternoon near the city mayor’s office amid a heavy police presence. Hundreds were detained and forced into buses to be taken to police stations.

After several hours, police cleared the area, but many protesters went to a square about a kilometer (half-mile) away and detentions began again.

The OVD-Info organization that monitors political arrests says 696 people in all have been detained. No details on what charges they could face have been released.

1000.jpeg

1000.jpeg

1000.jpeg