RIP Frank Denius

Machinator

Great man.

Denius_6955_S17.jpg

Frank Denius was not yet twenty-one when he fought his way across Europe and was awarded four Silver Stars, a Presidential Unit Citation, and two Purple Hearts. On the Way describes Denius's formative experiences during World War II in gripping detail and will cause any reader to wonder how he or she might have held up under similar pressure. The powerful opening chapters are followed by a detailed account of Denius's life and career after the war, assembled into a first-person memoir from conversations between Denius and Thomas Hatfield, and published by the Briscoe Center for American History at the University of Texas at Austin.

Discharged from the army in October 1945, Denius enrolled at the University of Texas within a week. He is a lifelong supporter of the university: as part of the Texas Exes, as a donor to numerous academic programs, and as a fan of Longhorn football. Former UT football coach Mack Brown liked to say, "Frank has been to more practices than I have."

Denius graduated from the University of Texas School of Law and joined one of Austin's leading law firms in the late 1940s. Denius recounts how Texas operated in Lyndon Johnson's prime, observes power plays in the Texas energy industry, and describes his role in building a regional university into a global leader.

• Like 1

Sad news. A great Longhorn and an American hero. 

I had a 30 minute conversation with Mr. Denius in the lobby of the team hotel before the Rose Bowl win over Michigan (with the aggy-Tennessee Cotton Bowl debacle on in the background). Mr. Denius was gracious and humble, and an easy person to talk to. We were five or ten minutes into the conversation before I realized who I was talking to. Such a kind man. 

Hook ‘em, Mr. Denius!

Frank was a true legend.

Each year on Veterans Day, Denius paid for several burn victims and other wounded warriors to take in a Texas game from the Centennial Room. His Cain Foundation rebuilt a paraplegic wounded vet’s house in San Antonio to install a hydraulic lift in every room. That’s the kind of man Denius was. He never forgot how fortunate he was, and he loved this country.

On Saturdays, Denius rarely went in his huge luxury suite behind a glass pane, preferring to be on the field or in the stands close to the action. When sideline restrictions removed him, he insisted on always sitting in his Seat 26 of Row 15 in Section 4 next to fellow Longhorn fan Ed Berry.

He never missed a game. Well, rarely. He did miss the 2008 Missouri game, ending a string of consecutive games since the 1982 Sun Bowl he missed because of a blizzard. And he grumbled about missing the Mizzou game and having to go receive the Patriot Award from the Congressional Medal of Honor Society. He’d always rather be at Royal-Memorial Stadium.

He hung around long enough that he took in 72 consecutive Texas-OU games in the Cotton Bowl.

He’ll miss this year’s October showdown.

But no more than we will miss him.

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-longhorn-booster-frank-denius-leaves-huge-legacy/

• Like 1

Here's my "cool story bro" ... 

For a few years before I went to college, I worked for a small record label. One of the people I interacted with often was the lawyer we worked with who was based in LA, but I knew was from Texas and attended UT. 

When I decided to go back to school and focused on Texas, I asked for two letters of recommendation, one from my brother who had graduated top of his class there a few years earlier and another from the label's lawyer.

It wasn't until a few years later that the connection between Denius Field and the fact that the lawyer's last name was Denius finally clicked for me. 

I had fun calling my brother to let him know that, as much as I still appreciated his letter, it may not have been the one that carried the most weight with admissions.

Never met Frank, but his son is one of the nicest people I've ever known and I'd imagine that's a reflection of all the good things I'm reading about his dad here. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, torre said:

72 consecutive Texas-OU games in the Cotton Bow

38 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Here's my "cool story bro" ... 

For a few years before I went to college, I worked for a small record label. One of the people I interacted with often was the lawyer we worked with who was based in LA, but I knew was from Texas and attended UT. 

When I decided to go back to school and focused on Texas, I asked for two letters of recommendation, one from my brother who had graduated top of his class there a few years earlier and another from the label's lawyer.

It wasn't until a few years later that the connection between Denius Field and the fact that the lawyer's last name was Denius finally clicked for me. 

I had fun calling my brother to let him know that, as much as I still appreciated his letter, it may not have been the one that carried the most weight with admissions.

Never met Frank, but his son is one of the nicest people I've ever known and I'd imagine that's a reflection of all the good things I'm reading about his dad here. 

Did you get in?

RIP to a Texas giant.  Frank Denius checked all of the boxes when it came to character, humility, bravery, service, et.al.  The University has been the beneficiary of his generous donations and there is no telling how many people he helped reach their goals while attending UT.  I know the Royal and Denius reunion in heaven must surely be going on at this moment which gives me a reason to smile. Hope the 2018 season makes him smile.

• 5 weeks later...