2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

I'll get it started.

Old news is Riley Dodge has been named the next HC at Southlake Carroll. Word is former Euless Trinity coach Steve Lineweaver may come on board as an assistant coach/advisor for the young Dodge.

New news is AD Darren Allman was reassigned, with long time administrator and former coach Paul Pinson being named interem AD.

Crazy stuff.

Whole situation is still bonkers to me. I played with Riley with Pinson as my position coach, and I don't think I'd ever see either of those moves happening. He's still really, really young, and I don't know if his work at Northwest and Marcus has really shown that he's ready for the job. People are hoping for the best, but it's really far out there. I don't think he'll be able to puke his way out of things:

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://www.trinitychristian.org/page/news-detail?pk=1173251&fromId=222011

Mike Singletary was named head football coach at Trinity Christian Academy - Addison.

23 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Those kids are in for an experience

I'll say this hits extremely close to home.  Should be a crazy ride.

Get fired for numerous violations of UIL rules, get hired into a management position:

Hal Wasson to be Irving ISD Executive AD

Speaking of Hal Wasson, on the same day Southlake Carroll hired Riley Dodge to be its next head football coach, Irving ISD named the former Dragons head coach as its Executive Director of Athletics. Wasson will oversee athletics in Irving ISD which has three Class 6A high schools.

These people do take care of their own, don't they?

30 minutes ago, futureman said:

what a dumb comment.  he’s old enough to be a head coach in the NFL. 

Come on, technically he's old enough, but he hasn't done shit.  He was an OC at two schools who weren't very good (and weren't very good at offense against good teams).  And that gets him the head coaching job at one of the top big-school programs in the state?

McVay is the exception to the rule and had nearly a decade of experience coaching before his first HC job. Riley was a QC for 2 years and an OC for 3 years. That's really not that much experience and the results weren't the best. His name is by far what got him hired, so we'll see how it works out. Bringing in Lineweaver is a good decision, if true, as he can provide the Wade Phillips role for him.

7 hours ago, JimmyTwoTimes said:

My son played for Coach Allen at Stratford. Good guy, solid football coach. He had Stratford playing competitive football for the last few years even though the talent level dropped off and they were barely above the 6a cut line. I think he'll do well at Brenham.

I hope so, but a bunch of first round playoff exits ain't gonna cut it.  My disappointment stems from the fact that I know they had better candidates and chose to go in this direction.  I'd love to eat some crow, but I don't see this one being a very successful hire.

On March 25, 2018 at 8:06 PM, Equinox said:

I'll get it started.

Old news is Riley Dodge has been named the next HC at Southlake Carroll. Word is former Euless Trinity coach Steve Lineweaver may come on board as an assistant coach/advisor for the young Dodge.

New news is AD Darren Allman was reassigned, with long time administrator and former coach Paul Pinson being named interem AD.

Crazy stuff.

Steve Lineweaver is a great coach and should benefit Dodge.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:00 AM, Austin Orange said:

What are to good out of conference matchups this season? I haven’t looked since realignment and scheduling started.

Week One- DeSoto vs Odessa Permian at Ratliff Stadium should be interesting.

On 3/30/2018 at 4:01 PM, Hairy Biped said:

I hope so, but a bunch of first round playoff exits ain't gonna cut it.  My disappointment stems from the fact that I know they had better candidates and chose to go in this direction.  I'd love to eat some crow, but I don't see this one being a very successful hire.

Can you name the other candidates?

5 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I go to that site for info occasionally, but scrolling through the threads with the giant sigs that users have is a tremendous beating.  

Yeah, it can a bit much at times.  But they've had them for years. Not sure how to curtail it without gnashing of teeth.

Check out the list of coaches that Southlake Carroll passed over to hire Riley Dodge-

Dodge, 29, the offensive coordinator last season at Justin Northwest, was chosen March 26 for his first job as a head football coach over Todd Peterman (DeSoto, 2016 Class 6A Division II champion), Steve Huff (College Station, 2017 5A Division II), Colleyville Heritage head coach Joe Willis (Cedar Park, 2012 4A Division II), and Brandon Clark of Derby, Kan. who won 6A state championships there in 2013, 2015 and 2016.....Dodge — who's making $97,284 at Carroll — as well Huff and Willis were interviewed by Carroll officials. Also, head coaches Brent Davis (San Angelo Central), Brent Whitson (South Grand Prairie) and Brandon Faircloth (Port Neches-Groves) were also brought in for interviews.

Wow.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-football/article208184084.html

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So I'm guessing... they weren't going to hire one of his assistants, so he came back?  What happens when he decides to retire in August?

This is what I read on twitter, so must be true. 

They probably didn't vet a lot of candidates on the outside and didn't feel comfortable going from within. Also, you'd have to look at it from Randy's perspective: he made it very clear that it was a painful decision. Well if it's painful, keep going because you're obviously not truly ready to hang it up. Retirement, at a coaching level, is done when it's not even a debatable topic within yourself anymore. Everyone in Texas detested Jerry Jones when he bought the Cowboys and deemed him "the guy who fired Tom Landry," but the reality was that Landry was closing in on 65, the game had past him by about a decade before, and he didn't even try to get another job at any other level after getting the boot. He was ready to retire, he just wanted someone else to give him a reason to, and Jerry finally did. Darrell Royal was the same way. He didn't just "resign" as the HC of Texas, he fucking retired. He honestly believed he couldn't hack it anymore and was more comfortable sitting behind a desk. With Randy? That's not the case. He legitimately is the best HC at his level, he's a 2x defending state champ, and he's got a pretty loaded team coming to him. I'm sure his family very much wants him around the home more often than he has been in the last 30-odd years, but he's just not really ready to go yet.

• Like 1

Similar thing happened with Tom Kimbrough from Plano. He announced he was leaving to coach Henderson. He was ready to spend his last days coaching over in East Texas and retire there. Or so he thought. He had gone over there and I believe started his new job. But Plano had thrown him a big going away party and he realized he wasn't ready to leave. Plano has an announcement for his replacement, but it was him coming back. 

slugga I keep hearing/reading mixed reports about chandler morris.  latest randy article from today said randy was “coming back to coach chad morris’s son” but I have read in other places that chandler is leaving after this school year finishes in may.

do you know if that kid is staying or going to arkansas?

Edited by futureman

On 3/29/2018 at 12:57 PM, futureman said:

mcvay was 30 when the rams hired him.  so 29/30 whatever.  dodge is old enough.  I don’t know if he’ll be worth a shit, but he’s old enough. 

It’s not like he has to recruit and stuff...right?

just straight up football.