2018 Texas HS Football

Equinox

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yeah, no one thought that.  At least no one that knows the first thing about football, both defenses were way too good for that to happen.

The only one that kind of kept it real during the whole game broadcast and pre game was Craig Way.  He's seen and called enough of them to counter the conventional thinking.

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The only one that kind of kept it real during the whole game broadcast and pre game was Craig Way.  He's seen and called enough of them to counter the conventional thinking.

Shea Walker kept harping on how good both defenses were.  The defenses were what everyone was talking about the most.

56 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Funny thing is all the scoring until the forth quarter occurred in the first half and it really looked like at one point in the third qtr,  the score could stay as is thanks to  both defenses doing well.  And then bang in the 4th all chit happened.  Considering all the pundits were thinking this would be a track meet type of game with scoring at will on both sides.  

39 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yeah, no one thought that.  At least no one that knows the first thing about football, both defenses were way too good for that to happen.

41-36 with 12 minute quarters isn't a track meet, even with that lull in the 3rd quarter?  Maybe it isn't these days, I don't know.

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

41-36 with 12 minute quarters isn't a track meet, even with that lull in the 3rd quarter?  Maybe it isn't these days, I don't know.

In the 3rd qtr it looked like both defenses were taking over the flow of the game.   No one could've predicted how the 4th qtr was going to flow, but it certainly looked like it might follow the 3rd qtr when both had scores in the 20's.       

Don't know why there's still fuss about this. When I was watching in real time, I thought he was over the line. Replay shows he wasn't. Probably some sort of optical illusion that affected some people and not others in real time, but it's not important, given that he was clearly short of the line when he threw it, especially clear when looking at stills.

I suspect some people don't like to admit when their perceptions are skewed, but the simple reality is, most of what you "see" is actually your brain filling in details of what it expects to see. Eyewitness testimony is the least reliable form of evidence for that reason.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

It had spurts of “track meet”, but a portion of the points were because of turnovers.  This was my favorite type of game, a bit of track meet but plenty of good defense as well.  I’m not a fan of contests that are only one or the other.

11 hours ago, futureman said:

clearly he was beyond the line.  samples should try and have the result overturned by the UIL. 

I just like to see the game played within the rules.  no more, no less.  

he was clearly past the LOS. 

10 hours ago, futureman said:

how’d your team do today, Vic?

giphy.gif

That was a hell of a game. Would love to see a number of those players in burnt orange one day.

I did laugh when Way was talking about how the coaches picked the ref crew because they wanted one that could keep up with the “speed & rhythm” of the two teams, as the camera panned to the 3 black officials. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a great couple of days of football.  I don't watch a lot of high school, usually just the title games and the two all star games.  Whittington in the Cuero game was the most dominant performance I have seen in my life.  He took over the game.  Literally took it over.  He scored from the wildcat their first offensive snap of the game but then they went away from that a little bit.  Cuero was down 21-7 and the Cuero coaching staff did something Herman should take note of.  They quit what was not working and ran Whittington in the wild cat for 90% of the offensive snaps.  They realized they had the best athlete in the stadium, probably the best player in Texas, and they said fuck it give the ball to 3 every play and let him win this for us.  Offensive and Defensive MVP of the game.  He had 3 TDs called back or overruled via replay and he scored again on the subsequent play all 3 times.  It was fucking incredible.  If you have not watched this game, you really should try and catch a replay or hit it on YouTube

Some highlights

Full game (shitty stream quality, catching it on FSSW would be ideal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFmTGkOO7CM

Other thoughts:  Small sample size but I don't get the hype behind Evans.  He did not look like the best player on the field, not even close, let alone the best RB in the state.  To me, Aledo's McClellan is clearly better.  I've seen him beast in 3 straight title games.  I thought the North Shore QB and 19 were pretty impressive.  Hell of an ending.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hozz said:

He scored from the wildcat their first offensive snap of the game but then they went away from that a little bit.  Cuero was down 21-7 and the Cuero coaching staff did something Herman should take note of.  They quit what was not working and ran Whittington in the wild cat for 90% of the offensive snaps. 

I went to the semifinal when Cuero played Silsbee and it was kind of the same thing.  Whittington ran wildcat for one series and hit a pop pass for a long TD.  Then Cuero went back to having #12 trying to throw the ball around.  It was a back and forth game and eventually Silsbee took the lead over halfway through the 4th.  Cuero then came back with Whittington at qb and marched right down the field for the winning score.  If they leaned more heavily on Whittington all year, there's no telling what kind of numbers he would have put up against 3A 4A competition.  I guess they won state though so it all worked out.

23 hours ago, Helobious said:

That was a hell of a game. Would love to see a number of those players in burnt orange one day.

I did laugh when Way was talking about how the coaches picked the ref crew because they wanted one that could keep up with the “speed & rhythm” of the two teams, as the camera panned to the 3 black officials. 

Ha I missed that but it did cross my mind that there wasn't a scene like FNL leading up to that game. 

• 2 weeks later...