Austin for a day...food?

DCLonghorn

First off, I'm sad to report that I get to Austin so infrequently in my old age, that I have to put this in the damn travel section of the Surly.

I'm flying in to Austin late Thursday for work (with my boss) and flying back out Friday evening.  Because I matriculated at UT in the previous century, the boss thinks I am an Austin expert...however the last time I ate in Austin, BBQ didn't exist in the city limits.  Looking for some  suggestions for good eats without a crazy wait time (sorry Franklins...we'll have to meet some other time). I'd love to check the Tex Mex and the BBQ boxes, but not required.

A dude from Vermont (what?!) in my office just suggested Nau's Drug Store for breakfast/breakfast tacos.  And either Lupe's Tortillas or Fonda San Miguel.

Recommends appreciated.  Touristy/tired Austin places are fine...it need not be the cutting edge of hipness...more important to be "Austin" to an outsider (my boss...not me!) I get back so infrequently I got no issues with El Arroyo or Chuy's or Shady Grove (stuck in the 90s!)  Hell, the last time I was in Austin with the family, we all thought Taco Cabana was good eats!  I've been gone too long.

Staying and working downtown/campus mostly.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DCLonghorn
crap spelling
  • Like 1

depends on your location...?

bbq for dinner:  freedman's or stiles switch

tex/mex for scenery:  maudie's milagro at davenport village

tex/mex for ambience:  matt's el rancho

tacos at nau's isn't a bad idea but i find it pretty underwhelming.

friday lunch:  pork chop at perry's (i know it's not an austin thing... but it's so good)

Edited by gsoda3

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:
Threadgill's

Texas Chili Parlor

Enchiladas Y Mas

Maudie's (near Deep Eddy)

Crown & Anchor

Seconded:  Freedmen's or Stiles Switch (or even Black's on Barton Springs)

I had lunch at Texas Chili Parlor yesterday. I went tex-mex and ordered the pork tamales topped with XX chili. It was glorious.

7aaf15617d817dec3ee43b70391edbce.jpg

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Like 2

So you need a breakfast and a lunch? I’m guessing not too far from downtown-ish. 

Breakfast - Joe’s Bakery on 7th

Lunch - Blacks on Barton Springs 

You could always substitute Tacodeli or Torchys is you want a more commercial taco option 

I love the Chili Parlour. And I take people there who I know to have good taste. But I recommend you only take a boss there if you know he likes dive bars, cheap beer, and good greasy tex-mex. I selected Chili Parlour for lunch for one of our monthly all-office lunch outings. Half the office (the people that live in Kyle) thought it was dirty and nasty. The other half loved it. 

Thank you all...we are planning on Joe's Bakery for breakfast, Terry Black's BBQ for lunch, and dinner at Maudie's Too (over Deep Eddy based on proximity)...all based on the suggestions above. Much appreciated.

Although I set this all in motion before I saw the post above about Chili Parlour...I really want to take him there now!

13 hours ago, DCLonghorn said:

Thank you all...we are planning on Joe's Bakery for breakfast, Terry Black's BBQ for lunch, and dinner at Maudie's Too (over Deep Eddy based on proximity)...all based on the suggestions above. Much appreciated.

Although I set this all in motion before I saw the post above about Chili Parlour...I really want to take him there now!

Damn solid lineup. If your boss doesn't like it, you should tell him you quit and he can find another secretary.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

Damn solid lineup. If your boss doesn't like it, you should tell him you quit and he can find another secretary.

Man, where I'm from, secretary is a lot more work and requires Senate confirmation. I don't want none of that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...