Longhorn Network

TXs

Specifically, why do we have this infinity gauntlet of a weapon, that seems to be ran by a pack of middle school A/V Mickey mouse club.

Holy shit we should be using this to spread our brand and crushing other programs.

If it went away tomorrow would anyone care. Where did we go wrong.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

The hate for Galindo is really stupid.

I do not mind him at all. We have our on "Gameday" show which I would much rather watch than what ESPN shows. We also get basketball games that would not normally be on, all home baseball games, as well as crappy football games that would either not be televised or would be pay per view.

If you do not like LHN then just go kill yourself but go fuck yourself first.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Spread your brand? Why would anyone other than a Longhorn fan subscribe to it? It's only preaching to the choir. 

What about spreading the Big XII brand?

Spreading a conference's brand?  Why would anyone other than a fan of a team in that conference subscribe to it?  It's only preaching to the choir.

8 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Lowell Galindo is *literally* the worst pxp/cc man in the business. The absolute worst. He's apparently a nice guy but he is a traveshamockery doing in-game broadcasts. He treats games like studio shows, asking long, rambling, inane questions, starting and persisting with trivial conversations and arguments during game play, and insisting on using modern slang and asinine nicknames for all of the players. I can't describe how much I hate him when he's on my TV. This is goddamn Texas; the bar has been set: Ron Franklin, Bill Schoening, Craig Way; these are standard at Texas. Lowell Galindo is a fucking clown, a milquetoast yes man, and a reported jock sniffer who brags about the people he knows irl. He is the absolute worst, and the people who've decided to make him the face of the network need to be exiled to a desert island filled with hundreds of TV's, incessantly blaring Lowell Galindo programs 24/7, no commercials. A punishment that fits the crime. I'd rather watch Ric Renner and Dave South announce a meat judging contest than listen to another second of Lowell Galindo.

Never go full Derka...wait...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Spreading a conference's brand?  Why would anyone other than a fan of a team in that conference subscribe to it?  It's only preaching to the choir

To watch conference games that they wouldn't otherwise see. How many Big XII conference games are available only on LHN every year? Any that Texas isn't playing? What about classic games? Any that you don't know whether Texas wins or loses?

There are multiple conference games exclusive to BTN (and the other conference networks) every week. On BTN I can see replays during the week of conference games I missed on Saturday. Can you get that on LHN?

Do they have any inside access type programs on other schools in the conference? Maybe Texas fans don't care about that. I think The Journey on BTN is one of the best original programs on any of the conference networks. 

From a strictly business and marketing standpoint I think the conference network is a much more attractive and appealing product than the one-team-only network. 

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

To watch conference games that they wouldn't otherwise see. How many Big XII conference games are available only on LHN every year? Any that Texas isn't playing? What about classic games? Any that you don't know whether Texas wins or loses?

There are multiple conference games exclusive to BTN (and the other conference networks) every week. On BTN I can see replays during the week of conference games I missed on Saturday. Can you get that on LHN?

Do they have any inside access type programs on other schools in the conference? Maybe Texas fans don't care about that. I think The Journey on BTN is one of the best original programs on any of the conference networks. 

From a strictly business and marketing standpoint I think the conference network is a much more attractive and appealing product than the one-team-only network. 

I''m not a fan of a B1G team.   I don't have or subscribe to the B1G network.  It makes sense that you like the B1G programming because you're a fan of a B1G team, but you're still just preaching to the choir.

Edited by utee94

10 hours ago, TXs said:

Specifically, why do we have this infinity gauntlet of a weapon, that seems to be ran by a pack of middle school A/V Mickey mouse club.

Holy shit we should be using this to spread our brand and crushing other programs.

It was never going to do that. I never understood how our Tier 3 content was going to crush other programs.

'Oh no Texas televises their women's soccer team!'

I mean it is fun for the hardcore Texas fans but I never saw how it was going to be this big national thing. I guess maybe if we had a 2005 type season and a player like VY again people who were not UT fans might have turned in for a bit.

Why ESPN gave us all that money for this thing I will never understand but it has been nice to have everything on one channel and get all that money.

Edited by Valmy77

43 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Spread your brand? Why would anyone other than a Longhorn fan subscribe to it? It's only preaching to the choir. 

What about spreading the Big XII brand?

Why would anyone other than a Longhorn fan sign up for a Texas message board?  Our brand is doing fine.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I''m not a fan of a B1G team.   I don't have or subscribe to the B1G network.  It makes sense that you like the B1G programming because you're a fan of a B1G team, but you're still just preaching to the choir.

Do you care nothing about what happens in the Big XII if Texas isn't playing? Do you only watch Texas football and nothing else? I've also watched Pac-12 games on the Pac-12 network. I'm a Big Ten fan but I'm also a college football fan. I watch a lot of college football. If I was to subscribe to LHN, how many Big XII conference games would I be able to see every year that I wouldn't otherwise?

The "preaching to the choir" line obviously struck a nerve. It's not an attack, just an observation. Take it or leave it. 

10 hours ago, TXs said:

Tell us how, specifically, you would accomplish this.

9 minutes ago, SDG said:

Why would anyone other than a Longhorn fan sign up for a Texas message board?  Our brand is doing fine.  

Because it's free. Im not paying no $9.95. I'm also a member of other boards. Get this -- sometimes I have more than one open on multiple tabs at the same time!

Of course your brand is doing fine. Don't get defensive. I only said that I don't think LHN helps spread the Longhorn brand. If I'm wrong and there are a lot of people who don't know or care about UT athletics but subscribe to LHN and become fans, let me know. 

Lol who gives a fuck. Every 9-10 months, this convo comes up

we got our own goddamn channel. And we are bitching about it. Jfc guys

1) We get to see games that literally no other school gets to televise/fanbase gets to see. Basketball and baseball games most importantly

2) We get to see re-runs of badass classic games

3) We have our own channel

4) Programs like 1963 and From Grit to Glory are fantastic

5) We get 15 million a year for 30 years

6) We have our own goddamn channel

7) We get to see re-runs of our football game that week, incase anyone misses the original broadcast

but please, keep bitching. The positives greatly outweigh the negatives. Bitching about having our.own.motherfucking.channel. is the perfect microcosm of how arrogant and entitled our fanbase has become. 

I personally love the channel, but I also actually, ya know, follow our sports teams , root for our sports teams, and like to watch their games. 

Edited by GreenspointTexas
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1) We get to see games that literally no other school gets to televise/fanbase gets to see. Basketball and baseball games most importantly

5) We get 15 million a year for 3 years

7) We get to see re-runs of our football game that week, incase anyone misses the original broadcast

but please, keep bitching. The positives greatly outweigh the negatives. Bitching about having our.own.motherfucking.channel. is the perfect microcosm of how arrogant and entitled our fanbase has become. 

I personally love the channel, but I also actually, ya know, follow our sports teams root for our sports teams, and like to watch their games. 

My favorite criticism is that they replay a lot of shit or that a lot of the content sucks so you can't watch it all day.  No fucking shit sherlock.  What cable channel do you watch all day?  I have 600 channels or so.  I record the shit I want to watch.  So when the LHN provides me 5-10 things a month I want to watch, that is a good thing for me.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TXs said:

You may be on to something!

corporate.jpg

But really, this network is for parents of kids that play sports other than football. I like it. Show the volleyball games, show the track meets, show the Texas teams that get little to no publicity. That way kids on scholarship playing the lesser televised sports can be televised. 

• Like 3

I enjoy it when baseball is on live, and my wife likes watching the volleyball games they broadcast. Obviously you watch it for the two games per season against Sam Houston and Kansas that are put on LHN because even FS2 doesn’t want it. The prerecorded content is generally crappy. Rebranding some of those programs to be about Austin (travel, food, music, SXSW, etc.) might attract a few viewers. 

The idea of a network dedicated to a single school seemed foolish from the beginning, but if you were going to try then why not a school like Texas? It has been a great cash inflow for UT, motivated aggy to leave, and has only really been at the expense of forcing FB and men’s BB HC’s to do weekly recap shows in season. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I enjoy it when baseball is on live, and my wife likes watching the volleyball games they broadcast. Obviously you watch it for the two games per season against Sam Houston and Kansas that are put on LHN because even FS2 doesn’t want it. The prerecorded content is generally crappy. Rebranding some of those programs to be about Austin (travel, food, music, SXSW, etc.) might attract a few viewers. 

The idea of a network dedicated to a single school seemed foolish from the beginning, but if you were going to try then why not a school like Texas? It has been a great cash inflow for UT, motivated aggy to leave, and has only really been at the expense of forcing FB and men’s BB HC’s to do weekly recap shows in season. 

Eh, I think it was a piss-poor excuse they used to bail. They were desperate for a way out. Somehow getting their ass kicked by Bama and Auburn every year is less embarrassing than Oklahoma and Texas. Now they can say cool shit like - WE ARE PREDICTED TO BE IN THE TOP HALF OF THE SECSECSEC!111

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/Texas-AM-football-USA-Today-SEC-Power-Rankings-Texas-AM-in-the-top-half-120237993/

Anywhoo, back to the LHN, they have employed some Texas exs so that is another plus. Honestly they just need to make deals to get it available on more people's TVs, they need to get it to where it's on the statewide package with anyone who gets ESPN3-tier sports channels... 

I'm in Galveston on Xfinity and I have to stream/go to the LHN games. I don't think I could even buy the channel if I cared enough to try. 

• Like 1

Go fuck yourself if you have a problem with the LHN.  I don't live close to Austin so it allows me to watch a ton of sports I normally wouldn't get to see.  I get 30 baseball games a year, 10-15 basketball games, women's basketball, volleyball with tight shorts and great asses, and softball.  I would see none of that without the LHN.  No other school in the country can say that.  

On top of sports it sometimes shows academic stuff that I never even knew about.

If for no other reason it is awesome simply because it provides money not only to sports but also to the academic side of the school.  The channel was never intended to spread the Longhorn message to outsiders.  It is a tool to provide the alumni base and fans of UT with content centered around their university that they otherwise would have no access to.

• Like 6

This is what I want more of, more behind the scenes/reality programming.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Guest Muppet
30 minutes ago, TXs said:

This is what I want more of, more behind the scenes/reality programming.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

So you don't want a winning program?

That shit is winning kryptonite

I want the LHN to be able to have the game feed for Longhorn games on ABC/ESPN and then have some former UT players give color commentary for the entire game (like Studdard, et al did that one time).

Make the LHN game feed something UT fans want to watch, instead of just doing the radio broadcast.

8 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

5) We get 15 million a year for 30 years

I personally love the channel, but I also actually, ya know, follow our sports teams , root for our sports teams, and like to watch their games. 

Absolutely this. I laugh when I hear aggys talk shit about LHN ( a channel that is 100% UT), and then claims SECnetwork (a channel that is maybe 5% aggy coverage, and probably more than 50% Bama coverage) is great for them. 

Edited by texaslong

16 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I want the LHN to be able to have the game feed for Longhorn games on ABC/ESPN and then have some former UT players give color commentary for the entire game (like Studdard, et al did that one time).

Make the LHN game feed something UT fans want to watch, instead of just doing the radio broadcast.

Or as a place where Dish Network subscribers can watch games in SD if they so desire.

/former disgruntled Dish Network subscriber

Guest Muppet
6 hours ago, Machinator said:

That's terrible logic.

The evidence backs it up in multiple sports at multiple levels. We've been unable to establish winning programs in basketball and football with it through multiple coaches, and in the NFL almost 20 years of Hard Knocks has consistently produced worse results than expectation for almost every team that has done it. 

There are other variables at play but with the overwhelming correlation coming into focus you have to consider it may negatively impact team performance.