Bikes you can beer with... No spandex addition

Loco

Didn't want to derp up the MTB or road bike threads...  So post your dream bikes, current rides, girls on bikes, etc...

core77-dutch-master-bicycle-1.jpg?w=500&

This thing has been haunting my dreams...  so I'm lurking the interweb or a donor frame...

also this...

H9if1sb.jpg

yup, trying to decide if I should buy a new raw frame ($200) unpainted and I wouldn't have to cut off the chain-guard tabs or buy an old bike cheap and cut the frame guards and sell the other stuff to offset new parts cost.

file_df176f2f5b_400w.jpg

what ever you do don't go to the ratrodbikes.com forum.....

Don't love Schwinn...  but those old bikes with character....  In Tuscany my wife and kids are looking at the old churches and I'm prowling the bike racks

full&d=1515427798

full&d=1515427815

37 minutes ago, Loco said:

That chain guard is crazy.. looks clean.  

Also, if your throwing out those rods....

I know.  I'm not sure it does much.  And no, that's just storage for the old "ugly sticks."

sweet baby jesus, give me strength NOT to buy this...

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klein-Rascal-1x7-Pulstar-Wheelset-KLEIN-BIKE-Vintage-Retro-Classic/232837892642?hash=item3636384a22%3Ag%3AXdEAAOSw3ItbOTsE&_sacat=0&_nkw=surly+1x1&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

If the color was any different, it'd be on the way to my house now...

Edited by Loco

5 hours ago, Loco said:

Do it.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:33 AM, dingleberryswitzer said:

That'd be sweet if it had a navigation system to steer you home when you're drunk or at least kept you from riding over to your exGf place.  

Won’t to to the ex’s place, but thinking about getting something lighter/slower to bar hop during the season.  

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Are parts for old bikes like that fairly readily available still?  The ever-changing world of MTB "standards" has me kind of hypersensitized to that?

I'm not trying to restore it... I just want to make something unique and fun to ride.

We're gonna find out... 

1. Bottom Bracket is Murican' standard, so I'm gonna use a converter and put on a modern BB & 3 piece BMX cranks 
  2. Buy rigid fork...  Surly 1x1 or maybe vintage Tange Switchblades (not sure of the look) but converting to 1-1/8" Threadless seems like the tricky part
  3. 1-1/8 thread-less headset (so stem will be a standard thing)  I like Chris King sets and have them on almost all my bikes, they have headset that will work, I'm just not sure I want to drop the $$
  4. Weld on a disk bracket in rear (or use screw on converter)
  5. Wheels from my Cowan
  6. ???
  7. profit

This guy gets it (dui)

full&d=1525970906

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1

Any BMX fans?  I've adopted a SE Fat Ripper as my cruiser.  26" fat tires on a BMX frame...it's a cruiser that can crush obstacles on demand.  A little heavy and a fixie, but I like it that way.  Fun to ride and play around on.  Pic is 2019 model, mine's a 2016 I think (chrome / blue).  SE colors have gotten a little retro lately...

2019_Z_SE_FAT%20RIPPER_SIDE.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Loco said:

I'm not trying to restore it... I just want to make something unique and fun to ride.

We're gonna find out... 

1. Bottom Bracket is Murican' standard, so I'm gonna use a converter and put on a modern BB & 3 piece BMX cranks 
  2. Buy rigid fork...  Surly 1x1 or maybe vintage Tange Switchblades (not sure of the look) but converting to 1-1/8" Threadless seems like the tricky part
  3. 1-1/8 thread-less headset (so stem will be a standard thing)  I like Chris King sets and have them on almost all my bikes, they have headset that will work, I'm just not sure I want to drop the $$
  4. Weld on a disk bracket in rear (or use screw on converter)
  5. Wheels from my Cowan
  6. ???
  7. profit

This guy gets it (dui)

full&d=1525970906

Yeah, I just meant stuff that would fit.  Bottom bracket, headset, hubs, etc.

1 hour ago, Izhmash said:

Any BMX fans?  I've adopted a SE Fat Ripper as my cruiser.  26" fat tires on a BMX frame...it's a cruiser that can crush obstacles on demand.  A little heavy and a fixie, but I like it that way.  Fun to ride and play around on.  Pic is 2019 model, mine's a 2016 I think (chrome / blue).  SE colors have gotten a little retro lately...

How's the ride on that thing?  Tanky or can you throw it around?

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

At this point I'm just worried about the rust and actually making it ride nice...  I'd hate to spend time and money and just end up with a weird bike I don't like to ride.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

You can source almost any part these days. If that fails, I can get stuff machined if anyone ever gets in a pinch.

3 hours ago, Loco said:

How's the ride on that thing?  Tanky or can you throw it around?

Definitely has some mass to it, which makes it less nimble...it's a different beast.  It's got great balance though, and the tires allow you to roll over just about anything in your way.  For example, I can take a standard city curb head on with little effort on my part...the tires simply absorb the obstacles.

On 8/4/2018 at 8:34 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Are parts for old bikes like that fairly readily available still?  The ever-changing world of MTB "standards" has me kind of hypersensitized to that?

Well this is awkward....

IMG_0409_zpsnqeckl1n.jpg

It actually had a sleeve in there to make it smaller!

IMG_0402_zpsijixgwdy.jpg

IMG_0401_zpsw893hcep.jpg

I think I am going to set up and electrolysis tank to get the rust off.

13/16" = 20.6mm

When you look at 13/16th posts, they say things like  "this is 13/16" it will not fit 20.4mm..."

I do own a hammer though....  And I just put the calipers on there to see what I was dealing with.  

Good times!

Yeah I saw 7/8 was a fairly standard seatpost diameter back in the day.  I was thinking maybe it was 7/8 and that clamped end had crept to ~0.8, assuming that it is the clamp I'm looking at.  But yeah, 13/16 seems more plausible.  That lug below it looks like it's going to require some precision, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 8/4/2018 at 8:28 AM, Izhmash said:

2019_Z_SE_FAT%20RIPPER_SIDE.jpg

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sounds like fun, prefer Damian Marley though

dsc_000959bc2bdcd9_lg.jpg

extra-859bc2c0018_lg.jpg

Saw this bike 2012 Kos Kruiser (Raw metal) on CR for $350 (not this exact one but same model and pristine)   I contacted the guy via e-mail everyday for a week since that was the only contact.  I figured it was gone and then the guy txts me and we set up a time/place to meet that evening.  I tell him I'm buying the bike and he agrees (full price)...   He asked me to call him 30 mins before leaving to come pick the bike up and when I did he was like "oh bummer, I just sold it"  .... bad things man, bad things

Edited by Loco
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Welcome to Craigslist.  

Yeah I know, but usually when I talk to someone I've had pretty good luck... up till now.  It's a mixed bag.  I talked to a guy in G'ville (about 5hrs away) about one of these...

GDeadTT2.JPG

Spoiler

1995 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

He had it listed for $300 and claimed it was in "really good shape"  The thing is this is a rare bike and they sell all day for $1000+ or more... and all his pics were blurry (and with this bike its all about the paint) so the BS meter told me not to take the drive... was hoping it'd languish on CR till football started, but she sold last month.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...