CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

31 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Clay Helton’s nephew goes to the school i work at and was wearing a Western Kentucky hoodie today (a kid that the last few years has worn USC everything).  So I’m just assuming Helton took a job at WKU and flipped the bird to Trojan. Bru transferring there too obviously. 

Clay's brother (Tyson) is the HC at WKU

• Like 2

Just now, DaysOff said:
17 minutes ago, NoName said:
that guy is  a clown

He has good Astros streams on reddit without the phone aids.

im just talking about his predictions - they are and have been trash for literal years. IIRC he has a long history of posting wild shit, then deleting ones that don't happen

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

It seems like there are a ton of job openings and not that many desirable coaches.   Lots of schools/fans are dreaming of upgraddes, wonder how it's going to turn out.

No one wants to hire a top level coordinator anymore.  They insist on previous HC experience, which really limits the pool.  It also leads to the recycling of shitty coaches from other schools.  SEC is bad about that,

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

No one wants to hire a top level coordinator anymore.  They insist on previous HC experience, which really limits the pool.  It also leads to the recycling of shitty coaches from other schools.  SEC is bad about that,

Half the SEC head coaches this season were first time head coaches and former coordinators:

Jeremy Pruitt - no prior HC experience

Kirby Smart - no HC expereince

Mark Stoops - no HC expereince

Barry Odom - no HC experience

Joe Moorhead - no HC experience

Matt Luke - no HC experience

Derek Mason - no HC experience

Three others ( Mullen, Muschamp, Orgeron) are second time HC's whose first HC job was at an SEC school.  And Malzahn had one year HC experience and was basically hired due to his resume as an assistant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Extra Anejo said:

When is someone with computer skills going to put together some type of spreadsheet of all these HC firings? My senile brain is having a hard time keeping up.

https://footballscoop.com/news/2019-20-nfl-college-head-coaching-changes/

Thru yesterday....

There have been 11 FBS head coaching changes as of Dec. 1, and one job has been filled. Number of changes over the past 11 seasons: 22 (2008), 23 (2009), 24 (2010), 28 (2011), 31 (2012), 20 (2013), 15 (2014) and 29 (2015), 21 (2016), 21 (2017), and 28 (2018).

Team 2019 Coach 2020 Coach
Arkansas Chad Morris  
Boston College Steve Addazio  
Florida State Willie Taggart  
Missouri Barry Odom  
New Mexico Bob Davie  
Old Dominion Bobby Wilder  
Ole Miss Matt Luke  
Rutgers Chris Ash Greg Schiano
South Florida Charlie Strong  
UNLV Tony Sanchez  
UTSA Frank Wilson  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Goodman said:

That move takes Odom back to Memphis?

I could see Hugh Freeze to Memphis.  Coached HS there for years.  Memphis has zero moral compass.  It almost make too much sense.

Speaking of Odom's tenure as Memphis' DC, I wouldn't be surprised to see him reunite with Fuente at VT as Bud Foster is retiring.

So just taking a wild guess:

Ole Miss - Norvell

Memphis - Odom but I do like that idea of him to VT as DC

Arkansas - Kiffin.  Think that would be a horrible hire.  No chance he is there longer than 2-3 years.  If he turns it around, he's gone to somewhere way better.

Mizzou - My Mizzou alum friend in the know thinks they are all in on  Harsin

FSU - Mark Stoops?  I know they will want to find a flashier name, but I don't see anyone better taking the job.   If Stoops leaves, maybe the Pirate goes back to UK if he is wanting a change in scenery.  

17 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I was thinking Norvell for a bigger job, maybe next year. I've got no inside information, rather, just a hunch.

I think Norvell can be very successful at a bigger school. 

Questions about Mike Norvell's past have made a bigger job tougher to get... not sure of the facts though, just Rumors

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/coaching-changes/skeletons-in-mike-norvells-closet-keeping-him-from-getting-an-offer/73797656/

Post  from Nov 2017

"Per the MSU 247 message board, Memphis HC Mike Norvell will NOT be a candidate for the MSU job and also likely not for the Arkansas job either due to some things that were found in his background during a vetting process."

"Nobody knows for sure what it is but it has to be something pretty major for him to lose the chance to get a head job in the SEC."

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Questions about Mike Norvell's past have made a bigger job tougher to get... not sure of the facts though, just Rumors

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/coaching-changes/skeletons-in-mike-norvells-closet-keeping-him-from-getting-an-offer/73797656/

Post  from Nov 2017

"Per the MSU 247 message board, Memphis HC Mike Norvell will NOT be a candidate for the MSU job and also likely not for the Arkansas job either due to some things that were found in his background during a vetting process."

"Nobody knows for sure what it is but it has to be something pretty major for him to lose the chance to get a head job in the SEC."

Interesting, if something bad is keeping him from a bigger job.

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Post  from Nov 2017

Banging coeds at ASU I hope. That would be winning at the highest level. 

36 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

What's the buyout?

No details yet, but last year's extension had a massive buyout.

An interesting piece of the puzzle is that it drops dramatically if Jamie Pollard is no longer our Athletic Director.  A lot of Campbell's job satisfaction comes from the relationship he has with his boss.

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Seems like Campbell really likes Iowa State and Ames environment for his family... almost like what Dabo has at Clemson.

If he's happy there, great for him and Iowa State.

I think another part of it is that he looks at guys like Kirk Ferentz and Bill Snyder, and sees that as a much more fulfilling/enriching path than say Gene Chizik.

Much like Iowa or Kansas State, no one ever really expects you to compete at a super high level at Iowa State.  If he wins the Big 12 just once, he's an absolute God.  If he can win 7-9 games consistently, he has a job for life.  Occasional rebuilds will completely accepted if they have corresponding high swings above the mean.  He could easily spend the rest of his career in Ames raking in large checks, and having far less stress and hassle than jobs where he could win a national title.

Great for Campbell and Iowa St.  I really thought he might make a move as he's pretty much maximized that program.  But if he's happy there I'm sure he's seen enough coaches fail after making similar moves to know the grass isn't always greener.  Could be he really would only consider OSU or Michigan.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Great for Campbell and Iowa St.  I really thought he might make a move as he's pretty much maximized that program.  But if he's happy there I'm sure he's seen enough coaches fail after making similar moves to know the grass isn't always greener.  Could be he really would only consider OSU or Michigan.

And it helps him on the recruiting trail because he can negate the negative recruiting tactics of other coaches telling the recruits that Campbell won't be there much longer.

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I like Campbell, i'm ready for him to stop shitting the bed vs. Iowa.

8-5 is underachieving with the team he had last year and this. Expectations were not met but who the hell else could they get, so lock him up and hope that he gives you 1 good run every 5 years.

Underachieving based on...what exactly? They lost David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler with literally no one even close to replacing their athleticism. And as a result they lost 1 more game overall. I think they had a pretty good fucking year considering they basically left at least 3 more wins on the table. 

12 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I like Campbell, i'm ready for him to stop shitting the bed vs. Iowa.

8-5 is underachieving with the team he had last year and this. Expectations were not met but who the hell else could they get, so lock him up and hope that he gives you 1 good run every 5 years.

You're ready for him to stop shitting the bed vs. Iowa?

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Underachieving based on...what exactly? They lost David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler with literally no one even close to replacing their athleticism. And as a result they lost 1 more game overall. I think they had a pretty good fucking year considering they basically left at least 3 more wins on the table. 

This team did underachieve - we really should have beat Iowa and definitely could have beat OU and Baylor each, but it's still a Top 10 season in any living Cyclone fan's memory.  Any sane ISU fan can accept these years if we can get a real run at something significant (a conference title) once a decade or so.

Last week left a bad taste in people's mouths, as we got dominated in the 4th quarter by a rival, and Campbell has been really bad in rivalry games (1-7) at ISU.

But keeping him extended is big for our program.  He's recruiting very well, and this helps maintain that.  I'm optimistic he'll finally figure out Iowa and start beating KSU with more regularity.  If each of those series could settle into a "home team wins" type of series, I'd be perfectly content.

37 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I disagree that he's maximized our program.  They were in every game this year, and struggled to win close games.  There's no reason we can't play for a conference title once or twice a decade.  That's where I think the ceiling for ISU is at; basically there's no reason we can't go to where KSU has been.  They have no inherent advantages.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I disagree that he's maximized our program.  They were in every game this year, and struggled to win close games.  There's no reason we can't play for a conference title once or twice a decade.  That's where I think the ceiling for ISU is at; basically there's no reason we can't go to where KSU has been.  They have no inherent advantages.

I agree with that.  I guess in my mind "maximize" is being damn competitive but will never have the ability to recruit at a national championship level.   Baylor's season this year is probably the best example of ISU's ceiling.   Really good team that gets some breaks in their close games.