CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

32 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I agree with that.  I guess in my mind "maximize" is being damn competitive but will never have the ability to recruit at a national championship level.   Baylor's season this year is probably the best example of ISU's ceiling.   Really good team that gets some breaks in their close games.

I would agree.  I don't think we can ever be a national championship caliber program, but we can occasionally be a realistic conference competitor.  I think we had enough talent to do that this year, but we didn't get many breaks, and we made plenty of dumb mistakes all our own.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Underachieving based on...what exactly? They lost David Montgomery and Hakeem Butler with literally no one even close to replacing their athleticism. And as a result they lost 1 more game overall. I think they had a pretty good fucking year considering they basically left at least 3 more wins on the table. 

Last year, they should have done better than 8-5. QB failed them. This year, they had the opportunity to do better than 8-5. Shit, we could have beat them playing shit fb. Should have been better than 8-5 the last 2 years. With Campbell, they should expect to make a run at the league title once every five years.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You're ready for him to stop shitting the bed vs. Iowa?

Yes, he should/could be 2-1 vs. Iowa. Selfishly, I just want to start seeing y'all win that game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Last year, they should have done better than 8-5. QB failed them. This year, they had the opportunity to do better than 8-5. Shit, we could have beat them playing shit fb. Should have been better than 8-5 the last 2 years. With Campbell, they should expect to make a run at the league title once every five years.

Yes, he should/could be 2-1 vs. Iowa. Selfishly, I just want to start seeing y'all win that game. 

I just meant it from the standpoint of "you think you're tired of him losing to Iowa?  Imagine where I'm at".

I fully realize that ISU beating Iowa has a net positive effect for the rest of the Big 12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This team did underachieve - we really should have beat Iowa and definitely could have beat OU and Baylor each, but it's still a Top 10 season in any living Cyclone fan's memory.  Any sane ISU fan can accept these years if we can get a real run at something significant (a conference title) once a decade or so.

Last week left a bad taste in people's mouths, as we got dominated in the 4th quarter by a rival, and Campbell has been really bad in rivalry games (1-7) at ISU.

But keeping him extended is big for our program.  He's recruiting very well, and this helps maintain that.  I'm optimistic he'll finally figure out Iowa and start beating KSU with more regularity.  If each of those series could settle into a "home team wins" type of series, I'd be perfectly content.

I get where you're coming from man, but I think there's a shot you're conflating Disappointment with Underachieving. And you yourself said it's a top 10 season in any living Cyclone fan's memory. I think the bad taste in your mouth is still coloring your perspective. You lost two of the best offensive players you've had in the last decade, you lost both of them after last season, and you're not a program (at least yet) that can simply reload with that kind of talent year after year. I don't think it's unfair to say you lost those players and as a result lost 1 more game overall as a realistic outcome before the season started. 

If OU and Baylor hadn't been such heartrendingly winnable games, would you be calling the season a disappointment? Or is it just because you were so close on so many occasions to so much better that makes it more agonizing? 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I get where you're coming from man, but I think there's a shot you're conflating Disappointment with Underachieving. And you yourself said it's a top 10 season in any living Cyclone fan's memory. I think the bad taste in your mouth is still coloring your perspective. You lost two of the best offensive players you've had in the last decade, you lost both of them after last season, and you're not a program (at least yet) that can simply reload with that kind of talent year after year. I don't think it's unfair to say you lost those players and as a result lost 1 more game overall as a realistic outcome before the season started. 

If OU and Baylor hadn't been such heartrendingly winnable games, would you be calling the season a disappointment? Or is it just because you were so close on so many occasions to so much better that makes it more agonizing? 

It's an underachievement in that they didn't win 3 games (against currently ranked teams, two in the Top 10) where they absolutely had the ability to do so.

It's not an underachievement in the scope of ISU's historical prowess.

What leaves a poor taste is that despite the loss of those talents, the offense was better in every possible metric.  We lost games in the margins - an inability to force turnovers coupled with extremely bad special teams plays cost us more than anything.  We lost by being sloppy and being bad at the things under-talented teams need to be good at to win.

None of this is to say that I have any qualms about Matt Campbell in the slightest, just being honest about what we were and weren't good at this year.  A lot of people who casually watch ISU chalk it up to the loss of Butler and Montgomery, but in all reality we more than replaced them, statistically.  Our defense regressed in terms of forcing turnovers, and our special teams were downright terrible (outside of the game winning kick against you guys).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I’ll be honest - that sounds like a 9.95’er just making shit up. Why the hell would USC give Helton until Thursday to find another job?

more so why would he rush out there and take the first bad job that will have him when they owe him a big buyout either way

fuck that fire me and I will find a job on my own time and your dime assholes

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Matt bringing some serious A game if that’s the case.

I don't think you need an "A game" when you have millions of dollars.

The success of sites like sugardaddy.com tells you all you need to know.

Edited by DixonHur
random bolded text

On 12/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Looks like Addazio is out at BC. 

lose to KU you get the shoe, er boot

5 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

You’re in luck because the rumor is he knocked up an ASU cheerleader.  Matt bringing some serious A game if that’s the case.

Everyone thinks Nebraska fired Solich for winning 9 games and losing 3.  ^THAT was why he got fired.

Edited by mulletpelini
poooosy

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Feldman still hearing Helton may stay at USC...

Yeah, and SC insiders are saying the same thing.  And Helton is out recruiting and telling recruits that that have been definitively told they are coming back, not that THAT is any confirmation.  But The Peristyle is in complete meltdown.  Like full surly style meltdown, which is serious meltdown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, and SC insiders are saying the same thing.  And Helton is out recruiting and telling recruits that that have been definitively told they are coming back, not that THAT is any confirmation.  But The Peristyle is in complete meltdown.  Like full surly style meltdown, which is serious meltdown.

If you have to tell recruits that then the damage is already done. I think the kids committing there want to be at USC more than playing for the current staff.

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

He got fired because Norvell knocked up an ASU cheerleader?  Seems unfair. 

I had heard that rumor about Solich impregnating a Nebby cheerleader, and also that he pretty openly was having an affair with a nurse, while still being married.  I also heard he had shorties at most Big 12 road destinations, too.  Guy must be more of a playa than he looks like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhinotx said:

If you have to tell recruits that then the damage is already done. I think the kids committing there want to be at USC more than playing for the current staff.

Oh it's been done.  They have always lived inside the top 10 recruiting classes.  This year?  Not so much.  #67 class, and #11 in the P12.

Edited by Sbbruin

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Oh it's been done.  They have always lived inside the top 10 recruiting classes.  This year?  Not so much.  #67 class, and #11 in the P12.

Yeah currently Not Good -- 1 WR, 5 OT, 2 OG, 2 DT, 1 Kicker

USC 2020 Football Commits

National Rank  67  Prev. Yr: 20 Next Yr: 8
Pac-12 Rank. 11   Prev. Yr: 3 Next Yr: 1
Avg. Rating 0.8606  Prev. Yr: 0.8821 Next Yr: 0.9339
  • Hard Commits (11)
  • Josh Jackson Narbonne (Harbor City, CA) 
    6-0.5 / 179.  0.9034   285 49 25
    Commit 3/23/2019    WR
  • Jonah MonheimMoorpark (Moorpark, CA) 
    6-5 / 280   0.8925   341 13 28
     Commit    8/24/2019     OG
  • Jamar Sekona Marin Catholic (Greenbrae, CA) 
    6-2.5 / 303   0.8784  486 41 43
    Commit 7/30/2019. DT
  • Kobe Pepe.  St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA) 
    6-1 / 294   0.8734  545 45 50
    Commit 6/21/2019.   DT
  • Joey Wright.  Bishop Manogue (Reno, NV)
    6-6 / 297   0.8654   715 54 5
    Commit 6/16/2019   OT
  • Caadyn Stephen   Camas (Camas, WA) 
    6-5 / 295    0.8647   728 56 8
    Commit 9/4/2019   OT
  • Casey CollierBarbers Hill (MONT BELVIEU, TX)  
    6-7 / 300.   0.8465  NA 95 166
    Commit 12/2/2019   OT
  • Andrew Milek  Brophy College Preparatory (Phoenix, AZ) 
    6-6 / 295   0.8464  NA 97 28
    Commit 6/21/2019  OT
  • Andres Dewerk   Los Gatos (Los Gatos, CA) 
    6-7 / 297   0.8452 NA 98 104
    Commit 6/23/2019  OT
  • Kyle Juergens   St. Margaret's Episcopal School (San Juan Capistrano, CA) 
    6-4.5 / 241   0.8323  NA 107 139
    Commit 6/14/2019  OG
  • Parker Lewis   Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ)
    6-3 / 200   0.8183  NA 7 45
    Commit 8/5/2018    K

On 12/1/2019 at 1:53 PM, LTtxfan said:

May just be wishful thinking, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Urban leave the trojans "Waiting at the Altar"

Now that would be hilarious!!.😆

Wonder if ol Urban decided not to take the USC job... Just used offer as leverage to get more money from FOX 😁

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I just can't see ever hiring someone with the name "Bobo". I don't care whether they're qualified or not, the name alone is enough.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I just can't see ever hiring someone with the name "Bobo". I don't care whether they're qualified or not, the name alone is enough.

Name discrimination seems OK to me.

So the latest on the Ole Miss job, Norvell is still a hot commodity and being courted by Ole Miss and apparently FSU. The other name that popped up over the week was none other than Lane Kiffen to Ole Miss. Apparently he and Norvell are 1a and 1b.

I was also told that Leach had reached out to Ole Miss about the vacancy, but there really wasn't any firm interest from Ole Miss and with him getting an extension today, he's likely out.

Just now, MoJames said:

So the latest on the Ole Miss job, Norvell is still a hot commodity and being courted by Ole Miss and apparently FSU. The other name that popped up over the week was none other than Lane Kiffen to Ole Miss. Apparently he and Norvell are 1a and 1b.

I was also told that Leach had reached out to Ole Miss about the vacancy, but there really wasn't any firm interest from Ole Miss and with him getting an extension today, he's likely out.

FWIW - Leach has a '5 year clause' in his contract that kicks in each year at this time, extending his current deal by one year (out to 5 years).  Its not really a new extension - its a negotiated part of his current contract.

• Like 2

Sources: Louisiana-Lafayette preparing for Billy Napier to leave

https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-louisiana-lafayette-preparing-for-billy-napier-to-leave/

Billy Napier is a person of interest in the Ole Miss search and would be a natural choice to succeed Mike Norvell at Memphis in the event he takes the Florida State job — and could even serve as a fall-back option in Tallahassee should Norvell’s candidacy fall through. Additionally, he could factor into the Arkansas search if some bigger names pass.

lol those programs looking for coaches...  not many chairs and the music is going to stop soon

Norvell's agent is going to have to seek medical help after 4 hours.  His client is the kinda hot chick with a lazy eye who is the last female at the bar... and it's almost closing time.

I think Norvell get's one of the better gig's just after the Championship game.