CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

He wasn't able to mend a rift in their locker room last year so they had a bunch of guys transfer out. As a result, they had to play inexperienced QBs and most of their defense had two years or less of experience this season. Go through their leading tacklers and it's pretty astonishing to see just how many young guys started.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/virginia-tech/2019.html

Disappointing year for the Hokies, all things considered, and his recruiting has been ass this year. How ass? 13th in the ACC ass. 

Bailing for Waco would be a great move -- for him, if not Rapelor. And if you wanted to hate them just a little bit more than you do already, he's a Gooner, so there's that. 

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

He wasn't able to mend a rift in their locker room last year so they had a bunch of guys transfer out. As a result, they had to play inexperienced QBs and most of their defense had two years or less of experience this season. Go through their leading tacklers and it's pretty astonishing to see just how many young guys started.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/virginia-tech/2019.html

Thx for info... Btw,  Fuente coached at TCU 2007-2011, and played for blOU.

Makes sense for Fuente to take the Baylor job if interview goes well. Things have not worked out that well at Va Tech for Fuente and he has not recruited well in 2020... but Fuente is still considered by some to be a really good CFB coach.

Just an fyi:

247  Va Tech 2020 Recruiting Ranking...

National Rank

247  Baylor 2020 Recruiting Ranking...

National Rank

Edited by LTtxfan
MaybeACoordinator beat me on Fuente's poor recruiting at Va Tech

7 minutes ago, Xian said:

Per tigerdroppings Baylor is interviewing Aranda. Would be interesting to see both Herman and o breaking in new coordinators next year. 

Baylor is down to 4 guys, Aranda / Fuentes / McGuire / Napier. Probably announced tomorrow, but maybe Thursday. Fuentes is the safest of those picks, Aranda is the biggest risk but highest upside. Personally I think it's McGuire and the keep a bunch of the staff in place, but replace a few of the offensive guys.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Moorhead on West Coast with Oregon seems like a bad match -- just like Moorhead at Mississippi State.

Well maybe I was right... Not a Done Deal Yet!!

Oregon: Brett McMurphy’s report that Joe Moorhead would be the new OC at Oregon was “premature” and “Oregon’s search process is still undecided” reports James Crepea who covers the Ducks for The Oregonian.

1 hour ago, RabidM said:

Wasn't there an LSU fan who was being smug in the football board about Brady not going anywhere ... he was getting a new contract and was going to be promoted to full OC?  I seem to remember something like that... 

On 10/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

good fucking god...this is his first real job in the football world.  the dude's a savant...i get it...but he just turned 30 in September and no one is taking a chance on him as a HC or full on NFL coordinator until he builds a body of work.  

we'll give him a significant raise, and he'll be with us for the next few years at least.

besides, he really does love working for CEO and LSU, and from every account everyone loves him.  it's a perfect environment for him to build a resume'.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RabidM said:

Wasn't there an LSU fan who was being smug in the football board about Brady not going anywhere ... he was getting a new contract and was going to be promoted to full OC?  I seem to remember something like that... 

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

And I believe we mocked him at the time for that take. These fucking people who believe that a coach or player loves them so much that they’ll forsake opportunities and money above the reach of their current situation are wrong about 99% of the time. I am shocked, SHOCKED!!, that Brady left LSU and the shithole that is that state. 

• Like 1

Also, Fuente is the guy I wanted instead of Herman. He has had a weird run at Va Tech. Had a great first year, then meh and mutiny and more meh and losing to Old Dominion. I don’t know what I think, but he has Texas ties and I’m still impressed with him turning Memphis into a winner. He’s not who I’d like to see at Baylor, but it would also be a neat personal thing to watch as consolation when he undoubtedly blows out Texas repeatedly because we’re apparently fucked for life as fans. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also, Fuente is the guy I wanted instead of Herman. He has had a weird run at Va Tech. Had a great first year, then meh and mutiny and more meh and losing to Old Dominion. I don’t know what I think, but he has Texas ties and I’m still impressed with him turning Memphis into a winner. He’s not who I’d like to see at Baylor, but it would also be a neat personal thing to watch as consolation when he undoubtedly blows out Texas repeatedly because we’re apparently fucked for life as fans. 

Between the four of Aranda, Fuentes, McGuire, and Napier, Fuente is probably the candidate I'd prefer they hire, as a Texas fan.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've heard mixed feedback on Fuente. Supposedly he's elite when it comes to managing staff and handling the coaches room, and he's got a reputation for being a pretty good recruiter (2020 being a rather notable exception). I've also heard he struggles to maintain team chemistry and culture and lets the upperclassmen drive culture in an unhealthy way. That works when when you've got great team guys, and it's a disaster when you don't. I've heard mixed feedback on his ability to develop talent.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, right.  Like Texas would ever hire a Sooner grad to be HC.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The losing the locker room thing was weird. In light of all that shit and the loss of personnel, I think he did a pretty decent job of coaching up that team this year. Same with his first year at VA Tech. He never really recruited well at VA Tech, and this year his recruiting class was utter garbage. 

Overall, he seems like a solid but not spectacular coach that isn’t going to recruit lights out, so his teams won’t have the highest ceiling. And it’s not like the Baylor roster is stacked for him for the next few years. He kind of reminds of Campbell at ISU but with a red flag re program culture.

He still seems like a bit of a question mark to me, though. It’s hard to square his time at Memphis  and VA Tech. 

6 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

No shit - I can't imagine going from VT to Baylor. That seems lateral, at best. Any competent coach should be pretty competitive in the Coastal Division.

Shit’s going south for him at VA Tech. His recruiting class is 63rd in the nation. So even if it’s a lateral move, wiping the slate clean is a plus for him, and I’m sure Baylor will be a pay raise. 

18 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Is Baylor a better job than VT or isFuentes fishing for a raise?

been reported that in the last year Baylor paid Ruhle $7.5m

Briles was highly compensated.

assuming they are willing to pay in that range, no reason he couldn't be serious about the move?

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Fuente a HUNH or more of a take your time type offense?  Don't think I've seen 1 Va. Tech game since he's been the coach.

The only one I saw this year (vs. Duke - lost 45-10) they went through three young QBs and they were all such dogshit I'm not sure it mattered.

Lincoln Riley 's brother...

BREAKING: SMU hires Garrett Riley as next offensive coordinator 

https://247sports.com/college/smu/Article/SMU-Football-Garrett-Riley-hired-offensive-coordinator-App-State-Lincoln-Riley-142072184/ 

When Texas Tech's high-flying Air Raid offense was in full swing during the Mike Leach era in Lubbock, SMU head coach Sonny Dykes served as his offensive coordinator, mentoring current Oklahoma head coach and then graduate assistant Lincoln Riley as Riley got his start in coaching.

On Wednesday, sources told Pony Stampede Dykes hired the younger brother of the Sooners coach, Garrett Riley, who will serve as the program's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Garrett replaces Rhett Lashlee, who departed for Miami after two seasons.

Riley arrives in Dallas having spent the past season at Appalachian State as running backs coach and was set to be promoted to offensive coordinator by new head coach Shawn Clark. Riley called plays in the team's 31-17 R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl win over UAB when the Mountaineers racked up over 400 yards of offense, including 261 yards on the ground.

Running back Darrynton Evans led a position group that totaled 2,756 yards and 27 rushing touchdowns in 2019. Evans rolled for 1,484 yards and 18 touchdowns while Marcus Williams, Jr. ran for 652 yards and five touchdowns. The top three running backs averaged over 5.77 yards per carry.

When Riley was at Kansas from 2016-2018, serving as an analyst in 2016 then quarterbacks coach in 2017 and fullbacks in 2018. Riley oversaw quarterback Peyton Bender become the Jayhawks' fastest player to pass for 1,000 yards in his career - doing so in his first three games. After Carter Stanley was named starter prior to the Kansas State game, he made his starting debut count by throwing for 418 yards, the fifth-most passing yards in Kansas single-game history.

Riley spent the 2015 season as the outside receivers coach and the 2013 and 2014 seasons as an offensive assistant at East Carolina. During his time coaching the ECU outside receivers, he mentored Zay Jones, who caught 98 passes for 1,009 yards in 2015 and went on to set the NCAA FBS record with 399 career catches.

Former East Carolina head coach Ruffin McNeill and Kansas coach David Beaty weighed in on what Riley brings to a program. His brother has praised his energy that Garrett brings to a college program.

"I've known him and Lindsay for a long time," McNeill said when Riley was hired at App State. "I watched him when he was still a high school player and then as a coach. When I got to East Carolina, he was one of my first hires as a graduate assistant, and then when a full-time position came open it was an immediate appointment. He's been around the top offensive minds in football, and he is one of the top offensive minds."

“He’s versatile. He’s a guy that has coached the tight end spot, he’s coached the wide receiver spot, he’s coached the quarterback spot now. He’s actually called some plays before in games,” Beaty said when Riley was on staff. “There’s so much that he brings to the table for us. I don’t know if I could sit here and list it all. There’s a reason why we hired him at such a young age.”

After walking on at Texas Tech in 2008-09, Riley transferred to Stephen F. Austin in 2010 and helped the Lumberjacks to a Southland Conference title and a No. 1 FCS ranking in both passing and total offense. 

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

What happened here?

TCU: Sources tell FootballScoop Jerry Kill is leaving his position at Virginia Tech to join his good friend Gary Patterson’s staff at TCU. We believe Jeremy Clark first shared the news. At TCU, sources tell us Kill will have a senior role on staff; but will not be one of the 10 countable coaches.

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Sources-Jerry-Kill-headed-to-TCU-Pattersons-staff-142234591/

Sources: Jerry Kill headed to TCU to join Patterson's staff

ByJEREMY CLARK 13 hours ago

3760177.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Kill and Patterson are best friends. (Photo: Tim Heitman, USA TODAY Sports)

Former Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill will join TCU's staff, sources told HornedFrogBlitz on Wednesday. Reports began surfacing that TCU had recently reached out to Kill about joining their staff. Kill is expected to be named the special assistant to the head coach and oversee the Frogs offensive side of the ball.

Kill will not be one of the ten assistant coaches, instead he will overlook the just the offensive side of the ball from coach evaluations, players evaluations, play calls, schemes; virtually everything involved with the offensive side of the ball.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

TCU: Sources tell FootballScoop Jerry Kill is leaving his position at Virginia Tech to join his good friend Gary Patterson’s staff at TCU. We believe Jeremy Clark first shared the news. At TCU, sources tell us Kill will have a senior role on staff; but will not be one of the 10 countable coaches.

Good coach, but an analyst role makes sense with his health issues.