CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

I saw on the news that Luke Fickell hired Mike Tressel to replace Marcus Freeman as DC at Cincinnati since Freeman left to take the same position at ND. I’m not sure what to think of that hire. Mike is the nephew of Jim Tressel, a member of a respected and successful football family. He’ll probably be good at recruiting in Ohio. But he previously served as the DC at Michigan State during Dantonio’s final years and I don’t think Spartans fans were particularly happy with his performance. And this feels like it might be a comfortable hire of a familiar name rather than getting the best guy available. (I’ve got no other names to suggest but then I don’t get paid to know that.)

I hope he has success. My biggest concern is what it might mean for Fickell if making the safe hire backfires on him. 

10 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I saw on the news that Luke Fickell hired Mike Tressel to replace Marcus Freeman as DC at Cincinnati since Freeman left to take the same position at ND. I’m not sure what to think of that hire. Mike is the nephew of Jim Tressel, a member of a respected and successful football family. He’ll probably be good at recruiting in Ohio. But he previously served as the DC at Michigan State during Dantonio’s final years and I don’t think Spartans fans were particularly happy with his performance. And this feels like it might be a comfortable hire of a familiar name rather than getting the best guy available. (I’ve got no other names to suggest but then I don’t get paid to know that.)

I hope he has success. My biggest concern is what it might mean for Fickell if making the safe hire backfires on him. 

Auburn paying most of salary for Tennessee's new Head Coach Kevin Steele...  

"Kevin Steele’s salary as acting head coach at Tennessee"

By Doug Samuels -    January 20, 2021

Looking back on the information available now, everything seemed to fall into place almost too nicely at Tennessee over the past week or so.

As the chatter around the NCAA investigation ramped up, former Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele was brought in with a defensive assistant title and within about a week of that formal announcement, Vols decision makers decided they didn’t like what they had been hearing about the investigation and decided to fire head coach Jeremy Pruitt with cause and athletic director Phillip Fulmer opted to retire.

Fresh off a stint as the interim head coach at Auburn following the dismissal of Gus Malzahn, Steele was also tabbed to step in for the Vols as the interim head coach while the school searches for a new athletic director, and then shifts their focus to a new head coach.

Steele’s contract at Auburn had two years remaining on it, so the school is obligated to pay him a buyout of about $5 million, which would be mitigated by his new role with the Vols.

This morning Alex Myers shared the contract details of Steele in his new acting head coach role, sharing that he will make a base salary of $275k with supplemental pay of $175k to bring his salary total to $450k annually. Thus, Auburn remains on the hook for the preponderance of his buyout.  The deal with Tennessee runs through January 31, 2023. 

Much of the attention of the college football world is now focused on Tennessee and how the school will move forward. Will Steele be able to make some hires to fill some critical vacancies in recruiting and other areas while the school goes on conducting AD and head coaching search?

We’ll have some more details on the situation in Knoxville in the comings days (and perhaps hours).

https://footballscoop.com/news/kevin-steeles-salary-as-acting-head-coach-at-tennessee/ 

Edited by LTtxfan

44 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

That AJC article is a purely opinion piece written as fact based on nothing except that Muschamp shows up to the facility daily. Pretty shitty journalism 

Yeah, just had comments regarding AJC article removed since the Jawja 247 tweet claimed significant mistakes were in the article. 

Seems like Coach Boom might be walking on eggshells right now to protect his buyout money from South Carolina...

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, just had comments regarding AJC article removed since the Jawja 247 tweet claimed significant mistakes were in the article. 

Seems like Coach Boom might be walking on eggshells right now to protect his buyout money from South Carolina...

I live in Atlanta, so it’s pretty par for the course for them. But yeah, you might be right too. 

Alabama: University of North Carolina running backs coach Robert Gillespie has accepted the same role at Alabama per multiple reports.

North Carolina: Mack Brown is set to bring a familiar face back to Chapel Hill as UNC’s running backs coach.  Mack Brown is expected to hire Larry Porter as North Carolina’s running backs coach, sources told FootballScoop on Sunday.

Porter is a familiar face both to Brown and to Tar Heels fans.  Brown hired Porter to coach running backs at Texas in 2013, which turned out to be the last of Brown’s 16 seasons in Austin. Porter landed at North Carolina following the dismissal of Brown’s staff, where he remained from 2014-16.

Alabama football made its hiring of former Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone official on Monday.

Marrone, who was fired by the Jaguars after a 1-15 season in 2020, will become the new offensive line coach for the Crimson Tide. He replaces Kyle Flood, who moved on to the University of Texas to join Steve Sarkisian’s staff.

Marrone is the second former NFL head coach to catch on with Nick Saban this offseason. Former Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien was named Alabama’s new offensive coordinator recently.

Siap.

Heupel's trajectory at UCF didn't make me think he was highly-coveted.  Seemed like he did a Charlie Strong-at-USF thing, dropping like a rock as Frost's guys left, from 12-0 to 6-4 in just 2 years.  But Frost hasn't lit Nebraska on fire either, so maybe that's just the cycle at a place like UCF.

Edited by Liquor and Poker