CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

40 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

This is where I’m at with KU. We are going to be the winningest program of all time by the end of the year in basketball. But that is just one of about 3 factors that make us a blue blood. The other two; James Naismith (who actually invented the game in Massachusetts and not at KU) is arguably one and phog Allen (the father of basketball coaching) is the other. I’d argue we have 2 reasons we are a blue blood. All time wins (not by percentage) and Phog. Now you start comparing yourself against other blue bloods and we don’t stack up with only 3 NCAA titles. It’s the reason I tell myself every year that only 1 team wins it’s last game and that the tourney is a crapshoot. 
At the end of the day, KU basketball and UT football are reasonably similar in regard to comparing ourselves with other blue bloods. 

NCAA also has the tourney. All those final fours and elite eights are measurable accomplishments, as well as the winning percentage. Of course more NCs would push KU over the top, but with all things concerned it’s Kentucky, UNC, Dook, UCLA, KU and everyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

DX Bible was 63-31-3 with three conference titles in ten years at Texas. Is that good enough to remove him from the equation, too?

Yup, thats another outlier. We should exclude Royal, Mack, Akers, and Bible. Only then do you get a real accurate view of our place in the CFB landscape. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

The new big 12 will be immediately better than the Pac and probably better top to bottom than the ACC, even if Clemson returns to form. The question will be if the money can catch up. But competitively it’s still P5, with the understanding that SEC and Big 10 are the best of them by a decent margin.

True but LA has a larger pop than just about the entire big 12

28 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Yup, thats another outlier. We should exclude Royal, Mack, Akers, and Bible. Only then do you get a real accurate view of our place in the CFB landscape. 

It's honestly a miserable way to approach following a team. Yes, if you take out the best times, the rest of the times are pretty average. 

It's good to want your team to live up to its promise and to object to serious underachieving. But damn, if you can't enjoy winning seasons or the memory of winning seasons because you don't get a championship each year, it's really time to switch to nighttime dramas or something. 

11 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

I'm sure it came up.  The idea that Belloti woulda been the coach if he'd just sucked off the local rivalry is self gratifying.  But it sounds better than we liked Tressel better.

There’s a mistake in your logic. Can you see it?

I said that Bellotti’s ignorance of the importance of the Michigan game ended his candidacy. It doesn’t follow that he necessarily would’ve been hired otherwise. Your reasoning is as sound as Swam’s.

Now tell us how his 2-10-1 record against Michigan really wasn’t much of a factor in the decision to fire John Cooper.

34 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If the sarcasm font didn't come through on my post, I was mocking those who say... "if you don't count your most successful coaching icons....you really aren't a blue blood. " That's idiocy. 

You've been playing football since 1893 and you've had 31 head coaches.  Michigan has had 17 in the same amount of time.  OSU has had 23 in that same amount of time.  bama has had 26.  USC has had 25 including some more than 1 "interim" but also including 8 years without a coach.

One head coach or 2 head coaches don't turn you into a blue blood unless they are there for 40 years like JoePa (fucking dick fucker) was.  It is about sustained success and that's why I took your one and maybe borderline second outlier out of the equation.  In fact, I could argue that texas under herman was right where it should have been based on both win percentage and based on coaching tenure... Including all of your coaches the average tenure is 4.13 years.

Was never trying to insult anyone per se, just trying to draw comparisons.  For the record, since 1898 KU has had 8 total head coaches in basketball.  If we take out our most successful coaches we still look good.  If we take out Phog Allen, then we are taking out Adolph Rupp from UK, Dean Smith of UNC, Larry Brown of UCLA/SMU/KU, Roy Williams of UNC/UK, and John Calipari of UMASS/Memphis/UK when you look at the college ranks.  You can take some of our coaches and it either doesn't effect the whole or it destroys every other blue blood program.  That's basically what I hang onto as a lower tier blue blood fan.

I still think Franklin is a decent to good coach but Penn State went from potentially firing Franklin to giving him a 10 year contract in a 7-4 season following a 4-5 season? 

Lord, the coaching market is so shit that Penn State has to extend him because he's one of the better options for schools like USC, LSU, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

You've been playing football since 1893 and you've had 31 head coaches.  Michigan has had 17 in the same amount of time.  OSU has had 23 in that same amount of time.  bama has had 26.  USC has had 25 including some more than 1 "interim" but also including 8 years without a coach.

One head coach or 2 head coaches don't turn you into a blue blood unless they are there for 40 years like JoePa (fucking dick fucker) was.  It is about sustained success and that's why I took your one and maybe borderline second outlier out of the equation.  In fact, I could argue that texas under herman was right where it should have been based on both win percentage and based on coaching tenure... Including all of your coaches the average tenure is 4.13 years.

Was never trying to insult anyone per se, just trying to draw comparisons.  For the record, since 1898 KU has had 8 total head coaches in basketball.  If we take out our most successful coaches we still look good.  If we take out Phog Allen, then we are taking out Adolph Rupp from UK, Dean Smith of UNC, Larry Brown of UCLA/SMU/KU, Roy Williams of UNC/UK, and John Calipari of UMASS/Memphis/UK when you look at the college ranks.  You can take some of our coaches and it either doesn't effect the whole or it destroys every other blue blood program.  That's basically what I hang onto as a lower tier blue blood fan.

you need to head to texags where you can compare everything based on when you were born, or when you went to school.  they will love you there and you can fit right in.

fuck Sark and Charlie for losing to goddam kansas.....

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

As much as I hate to agree with you of all people, outside of DKR, Mack and Akers, which encompass 46 out of the 129 seasons of football, Texas is pretty fucking average.  35% of it's history is "elite" and that's those 3 coaches.  Throw in Bible's 10 years and that's still only 43% of our history is blue-blood level.

4 out of 31 coaches were here 10+ years and had success.  Otherwise, 5 or less years and a .600 WP is truly our standard. 

The sooner more fans realize that, the easier it is to handle the crappy seasons and enjoy the 10+ win ones. 

Throw in Blair Cherry's four years (32-10-1) with Orange, Cotton and Sugar Bowl bids should count for something. Ed Price had three good-to-great years following that (23-8, 1.5 SWC titles) before he fell apart and ended up 1-9. So that's seven years -- the better part of a decade -- of Blue Blood play between Bible and Royal though split between two coaches, one of whom ended up a historic disaster. 

This really is silly and idk why a Kansas fan would be interested enough in our program to play this game. 

Let's take Wilkinson, Switzer and Stoops out of OU and see where they stand. 

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I still think Franklin is a decent to good coach but Penn State went from potentially firing Franklin to giving him a 10 year contract in a 7-4 season following a 4-5 season? 

Lord, the coaching market is so shit that Penn State has to extend him because he's one of the better options for schools like USC, LSU, etc. 

everyone is going to throw out the covid year if it was bad and they don't want the coach to get poached.

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Well said. 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

everyone is going to throw out the covid year if it was bad and they don't want the coach to get poached.

Meh, I don't like the excuse and I'm a Franklin guy. 

He's 11-9 in the last 2 years. I don't think Penn State had much of a choice because they would likely downgrade if Franklin was poached but that's a shitty position to be in. I'm more just amazed at how terrible the coaching market is. I can't believe this is the caliber coach USC and LSU are looking at based on the last couple of years. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What is up with the 10 year contracts? How much of those is guaranteed?

Franklin (was) the closest thing to an obtainable proven P5 winner that was out there in a ridiculous market. These coaches are no fools, they see how much rope a five year contract actually buys you. Of course you’ll lock in at a place where you’ve spent years installing your culture.

I also think fans vastly overstate the relative attractiveness of different jobs to the people who are actually out there coaching. Money comes first by a LONG shot, then probably the chance at stability before you start thinking about locking down Louisiana or whatever fan justification you can throw out there. 

Franklin's whole rep is built on a brief window when Vanderbilt allowed him to recruit grades / character risks and it wound up blowing up in his face with that rape scandal, but not before he came to be regarded as a genius coach for doing less with more at Vandy. He got out while the getting was good and Vandy is back to recruiting two-stars on various honor rolls and they have returned from whence they came.

This friend of mine, a Black attorney who graduated from Vandy back in the day, told me that she was tutoring some of the Florida kids Franklin was getting and was absolutely astonished that they got into Vandy. They could barely read, she said. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What is up with the 10 year contracts? How much of those is guaranteed?

I'm hoping we see more of these and less coaching turnover everywhere. It's not helping the game nor my enjoyment of the game. I'd love to see Traylor stick to his 10yr at UTSA.

terms:

Under the new deal, Franklin will make $7 million per season in total guaranteed annual compensation. Franklin’s deal also includes an annual $500,000 retention bonus and a $1 million annual loan for life insurance.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Franklin's whole rep is built on a brief window when Vanderbilt allowed him to recruit grades / character risks and it wound up blowing up in his face with that rape scandal, but not before he came to be regarded as a genius coach for doing less with more at Vandy. He got out while the getting was good and Vandy is back to recruiting two-stars on various honor rolls and they have returned from whence they came.

This friend of mine, a Black attorney who graduated from Vandy back in the day, told me that she was tutoring some of the Florida kids Franklin was getting and was absolutely astonished that they got into Vandy. They could barely read, she said. 

He also has three 11 win seasons at PSU. They don’t hand those out in P5 conferences. He’s recruiting pretty well, it’s a roster that will compete in the B1G but probably won’t knock off tOSU.

I will say it again— the existence of a small tanned man named Nick Saban has made college football fans bonkers with expectations. How does this streak of wins sound for a “blue blood”: 8, 8, 6, 6. And two bottom half of conference finishes.

That’s Bear Bryant before winning three more titles in the 1970s. Franklin ain’t the Bear, but even absolute legends can stumble a few times. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I like Aranda but even he’s a big reach for a school like USC. 

He’s 11-9 as a head coach. 

I think folks are gonna be somewhat leery of Aranda given that they know the BIg 12 is awful this year and OU isn't really very good.  that said, if he wants out of the big 12 now it might be a good year to jump.

would Florida go after Gundy?

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Isn't Aranda to USC inevitable? If it doesn't happen, I'll assume there is a dumpster fire there that even prospective coaches can see. 

On Sirius today Full Ride show they were talking a lot of Fickell to USC, and claimed the odds were good, dont think it would be a good fit. Mullen may get another gig fast, just too many chairs and not enough options out there.

3 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Aranda ain’t going anywhere.
Mullen has the potential to be a steal for someone. 
Fickell still may be the best coach out there. 

Matt Campbell not taking another job while his was at his peak and now being off most lists makes me think you're wrong on Aranda. I'm not sure it's to USC though. 

Edited by mdmost

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

He also has three 11 win seasons at PSU. They don’t hand those out in P5 conferences. He’s recruiting pretty well, it’s a roster that will compete in the B1G but probably won’t knock off tOSU.

I will say it again— the existence of a small tanned man named Nick Saban has made college football fans bonkers with expectations. How does this streak of wins sound for a “blue blood”: 8, 8, 6, 6. And two bottom half of conference finishes.

That’s Bear Bryant before winning three more titles in the 1970s. Franklin ain’t the Bear, but even absolute legends can stumble a few times. 

Franklin can fucking coach and has been successful twice.  I'm fine with people saying no go but the dude absolutely has the resume.

my expectation is that an excellent college coach is going to bottom out at 8 and top out at 11 or so in a 13 game season(12+bowl)

the issue for Texas isn't Saban.  The issue is we keep hiring guys that haven't had sustained success in that realm or proven they weren't a one hit/player wonder.  i realize they aren't easy to find. especially if you are worried about "personality".

I'm not sure what happened to Mullen at Florida after the shoe throwing but someone is going to get a pretty damn good coach IMO.

11 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think folks are gonna be somewhat leery of Aranda given that they know the BIg 12 is awful this year and OU isn't really very good.  that said, if he wants out of the big 12 now it might be a good year to jump.

would Florida go after Gundy?

Florida looks like it’s focused on napier

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Matt Campbell not taking another job while his was at his peak and now being off most lists makes me think you're wrong on Aranda. I'm not sure it's to USC though. 

Aranda is gonna get a shot, the question is if he wants out of Big 12.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

The new big 12 will be immediately better than the Pac and probably better top to bottom than the ACC, even if Clemson returns to form. The question will be if the money can catch up. But competitively it’s still P5, with the understanding that SEC and Big 10 are the best of them by a decent margin.

you keep saying that and I'm not disagreeing.  my comment was about what talking heads start saying.  you realize who owns them and that by and large these media types aren't smart people, right?

47 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It’s like the market in the NFL for QB’s - even a Kirk Cousins is in demand as a free agent and gets paid a ton of money just for being reasonably competent to “good,” even if he isn’t a real threat to make the Super Bowl. Makes me think Tom Herman could have had a long career here if he wasn’t an alcoholic asshole to everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Herman has his flaws but he has 4 ranked seasons in 6 years as a head coach. 

Almost all these schools are going to hire a worse coach than Herman. 

I’m thinking Herman is having a tough time getting through some background checks based on the rumors on this board and apparently there were issues when Texas hired him. It’s not good to insinuate this stuff but the guy looks like he’s drunk or coked out half the time. 

33 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think folks are gonna be somewhat leery of Aranda given that they know the BIg 12 is awful this year and OU isn't really very good.  that said, if he wants out of the big 12 now it might be a good year to jump.      would Florida go after Gundy?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Too small for a Guthrie’s or a Milo’s.

It’s just under two hours to the 30A beaches so that’s nice but someone used to places like Houston and Austin? I don’t know, man.

Now, do Tom and Michelle like being the ginormous fish in a small pond? Would they enjoy building a 10,000 square foot house on hundreds of beautiful acres for a couple million?

They might like that.

But if the rumors of Tom fussing around with coeds at campus bars is true, he’s likely to get in more trouble somewhere like Troy because that scene is the totality of the local nightlife.

EVERYTHING is geared towards the students. Not much for grown folks.

And everyone would know his business in about two weeks. Much harder to keep your shit quiet in a small town; especially if you’re the ostensible big swinging dick in said small town.

mmmmmm Guthrie's.  Gimme that box!

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Herman has his flaws but he has 4 ranked seasons in 6 years as a head coach. 

Almost all these schools are going to hire a worse coach than Herman. 

I’m thinking Herman is having a tough time getting through some background checks based on the rumors on this board and apparently there were issues when Texas hired him. It’s not good to insinuate this stuff but the guy looks like he’s drunk or coked out half the time. 

I also seem to remember talk after he was fired that he wanted to try coaching in the NFL instead of college because of the portal and such. Could be that he just doesn’t want to go back to college and would rather work his way up the ladder as a position coach or even a Coordinator. 

• Haha 1