CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

8 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Dollars to doughnuts the next LSU coach is already hired/agreed to in principle, and my guess would be it’s Aranda.

Baylor is probably trying to put together something to counter with.

I just don't see Aranda going back to "Geaux Tigers" after escaping from there...  

15 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Dollars to doughnuts the next LSU coach is already hired/agreed to in principle, and my guess would be it’s Aranda.

Baylor is probably trying to put together something to counter with.

Edited to add, Aranda’s wife really enjoyed her time in Baton Rouge and well….undefeated.

It’s fascinating down here right now.  The rumor mill is running in every direction and everyone you talk to has a different source that definitely knows what’s going on in the search.  Had dinner last week with good friends who know folks in the athletic department who told them that it was going to be Jimbo and it was done 3 weeks ago.  They were disappointed that it might be Jimbo because another of their good friends told them that is was BOB - which is who they want.

Woodward either had this search totally locked down with his new hire already done or it is a mess behind the scenes with LSU striking out as they move down their prospective coaches list.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

If Okie Lite can beat OU on Saturday we should know by Sunday whether LSU got one of their big fish. 

On that note, if my math is correct,  WV wins Saturday and so does TCU, Texas and Kansas (where we were 1 of their 2  wins) will be the only teams not going to a bowl game. 

That’s impressive. 🤮

Edited by NashLonghorn

20 minutes ago, BRLA said:

It’s fascinating down here right now.  The rumor mill is running in every direction and everyone you talk to has a different source that definitely knows what’s going on in the search.  Had dinner last week with good friends who know folks in the athletic department who told them that it was going to be Jimbo and it was done 3 weeks ago.  They were disappointed that it might be Jimbo because another of their good friends told them that is was BOB - which is who they want.

Woodward either had this search totally locked down with his new hire already done or it is a mess behind the scenes with LSU striking out as they move down their prospective coaches list.

From deep within the tiger athletic foundation I was told the coach was already locked up, but wasn’t told who. I also think it’s possible that they did strike out at least once in getting to Aranda IF that’s who they end up with.

Idk I’ve kinda always felt the notion that Texas is not a top ten job because Saban, Meyer, etc turned it down to be lazy and LSU is proof. 9/10 coaches aren’t leaving a good situation to go deal with the stress of rebuilding a major program with impatient fans & mediocre players that you have to convince to buy in. LSU might need to go the coordinator route. Dan Lanning possibly. 

3 minutes ago, LOHorn said:

Feel like Aranda is making a giant mistake. I think Baylor takes a step back next year and the shine comes off. Gotta take your shot when you can, unless you don’t want it. 

Baylor is a stepping stone job if we’re being completely honest. He keeps winning at Baylor he’ll have more opportunities down the road

My question is from a premier candidate perspective, who is left?

If Uf gets Napier and Tucker, Franklin, Fickle and Aranda are signaling they are staying put who fills LSU and USC? If it is Riley or Jimbo, who back fills to A&M or OU.

And do not forget UCLA and Kelly and Herm and Arizona are probably parting ways as well.

It hurts me to say this but Neb may have did it right by keeping frost another year knowing the coaching talent isn’t there this cycle. There is no slam dunk hot coordinator prospect and Napier and Fickle are the cream of the crop of the G5. 

I would not want to be an AD trying to hire now.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

My question is from a premier candidate perspective, who is left?  If Uf gets Napier and Tucker, Franklin, Fickle and Aranda are signaling they are staying put who fills LSU and USC? If it is Riley or Jimbo, who back fills to A&M or OU?

And do not forget UCLA and Kelly and Herm and Arizona are probably parting ways as well.  It hurts me to say this but Neb may have did it right by keeping frost another year knowing the coaching talent isn’t there this cycle. There is no slam dunk hot coordinator prospect and Napier and Fickle are the cream of the crop of the G5. 

Dude for the answer to all those questions, you may want to pay $9.95/mo to FCB...

I have to think the crazy inflation in salary is helping middle tier schools (Baylor, Cincinnati) keep coach from jumping ship to “top tier” schools.  20 years ago the difference between 500k and 1.2 million is huge compared to 5 million vs 9 million.  
From the jimbo and Mel tucker, and traylor deals, it looks like 10 years is going to be standard extension length for coaches that show success.  Aranda might take a 10 year 6 million dollar deal vs a 9 million 5 year deal when he knows LSU will cut his ass after a single subpar season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Mike Scarborough at TigerBait is saying LSU is all in on Riley and he thinks that is who LSU will hire. 

This weekend might be wild. 

14 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

But the AD’s neighbor said it Aranda was a stone cold lock.  

Im so confusssedddd!

Riley as HC/OC and Aranda as DC.  Duh. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

If Uf gets Napier and Tucker, Franklin, Fickle and Aranda are signaling they are staying put who fills LSU and USC? If it is Riley or Jimbo, who back fills to A&M or OU.

And do not forget UCLA and Kelly and Herm and Arizona are probably parting ways as well.

It hurts me to say this but Neb may have did it right by keeping frost another year knowing the coaching talent isn’t there this cycle. There is no slam dunk hot coordinator prospect and Napier and Fickle are the cream of the crop of the G5. 

If it’s Jimbo to LSU I think A&M just gives the keys to Elko. Most fans would be happy with that. 

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

If it’s Jimbo to LSU I think A&M just gives the keys to Elko. Most fans would be happy with that. 

That would be less than ideal because he’d probably hire a 21st century OC which would be a vast improvement over Jimbo’s O.

Other obvious option if Jimbo leaves would be Traylor *ducks*

3 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Yeah, I said this a few days ago. The best option is probably to just wait it out another year. 

No guarantees next cycle but there isn’t much to choose from right now. 

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I have to think the crazy inflation in salary is helping middle tier schools (Baylor, Cincinnati) keep coach from jumping ship to “top tier” schools.  20 years ago the difference between 500k and 1.2 million is huge compared to 5 million vs 9 million.  
From the jimbo and Mel tucker, and traylor deals, it looks like 10 years is going to be standard extension length for coaches that show success.  Aranda might take a 10 year 6 million dollar deal vs a 9 million 5 year deal when he knows LSU will cut his ass after a single subpar season. 

There’s no chance LSU is missing on Aranda, Napier, Tucker and Fickell  types regardless of all that. 

It’s pretty obvious that LSU is all in on Riley and the only logical conclusion is they probably have him. 

There are pictures of LSU’s AD on vacation and hunting. It makes no logical sense for him to be doing that in the middle of a coaching search that would be going so poorly. It’s only an educated guess but I think they have Riley in the bag. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

There’s no chance LSU is missing on Aranda, Napier, Tucker and Fickell  types regardless of all that. 

It’s pretty obvious that LSU is all in on Riley and the only logical conclusion is they probably have him. 

There are pictures of LSU’s AD on vacation and hunting. It makes no logical sense for him to be doing that in the middle of a coaching search that would be going so poorly. It’s only an educated guess but I think they have Riley in the bag. 

All those coonssses eating nutria McRib sandwiches in hopes of nabbing Riley. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 6th Street said:

OU could easily match that. Cheaper to keep good coaches around than to hire and fire staffs every 3 years 

Maybe football is different but OU has been going cheap with recent hires. 

*Women's basketball hire (Baranczyk) $475 K per year vs $1.8 million (Schaefer)

*Men's basketball hire (Moser) $2.8 million per year vs $5 million (Beard)

*They also seem unwilling to fire their baseball coach (Skip Johnson) because they don't want to spend money on the buyout. 

Reality is schools like Texas and LSU (see Mulkey) have been outspending OU in most the other sports and getting better coaches. Maybe football is different....I dunno but based on past hires there certainly isn't precedent that OU is willing to go big on these contracts. 

Texas has the right idea now on coaching contracts if they would just stop letting the BMDs and BoR hire the football coach. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Maybe football is different but OU has been going cheap with recent hires. 

*Women's basketball hire (Baranczyk) $475 K per year vs $1.8 million (Schaefer)

*Men's basketball hire (Moser) $2.8 million per year vs $5 million (Beard)

*They also seem unwilling to fire their baseball coach (Skip Johnson) because they don't want to spend money on the buyout. 

Reality is schools like Texas and LSU (see Mulkey) have been outspending OU in most the other sports and getting better coaches. Maybe football is different....I dunno but based on past hires there certainly isn't precedent that OU is willing to go big on these contracts. 

Texas has the right idea now on coaching contracts if they would just stop letting the BMDs and BoR hire the football coach. 

OU has to match any offers out there and even give him a jimbo 10 year deal if that’s what it takes.  Football is the only thing keeping ou from becoming Nebraska.  
if Riley leaves ou it won’t be because of money it’ll be because he wants to gtfo of Norman.

7 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

That would be less than ideal because he’d probably hire a 21st century OC which would be a vast improvement over Jimbo’s O.

Other obvious option if Jimbo leaves would be Traylor *ducks*

It would be funny to see aggy melt if jimbo left, but I personally like him right where he’s at.  He’s a pain in the ass to recruit against but him at LSU would be as bad/worse and aggy might just luck into a really good hire 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think Fickell moves yet. I feel like Riley moves if OU loses Bedlam and the fans start whining. Wilcox to Washington makes a lot of sense. Cal's not serious about football. I think USC has to get someone from the NFL. Aranda makes sense there but when has the USC hire made sense? If LSU whiffs on Riley, it will be interesting to see LSU and USC having a difficult time finding a new HFBC. Might speak to a larger issue with these big name programs. 

Edited by mdmost

The problem with Fickell is that Cincy might make the playoffs and is about to be in a conference where they can probably continue making it as a 1 loss conference champion with a decent OOC schedule every year. 

He's already making 3.4 a year. I'm guessing Cincy could look in the couch cushions and bump that in a renegotiation if they need to. 

USC is seeming more and more difficult to win at and also seems to have some serious culture issues. Yes it's still USC but I'm not sure Fickell wants to take his wife and 6 kids across the country to instantly have a much more difficult job so he can... make the playoff? Win a title? He's getting close to that where he is. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Florida 247 mods are pretty much saying that Napier has been trying to get the LSU job but they aren’t responding. 

It may not be Riley but they must have a coach already hired. 

Interesting. On the one hand you have a guy who was handed a ten/eleven-win team and has kept it there but has no experience with the kind of turmoil he's going to inherit in BR nor deep ties to the state. On the other you have a scrapper from next door. I am not saying Riley's a bad coach but aside from Ryan Day no coach today has had to prove less than Riley. He's kept a fine-tuned machine running (largely with one-year rentals at QB) at blowU but LSU is in chaos right now. Coming in to the SEC negates some of LSU's recruiting advantage and prestige in the polls. If I am Riley it would take a lot of money to make that move. (Given that I am not Riley, I would work for less money in BR because it is not in Oklahoma.)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1